• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 3,142 Views, 137 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: The St. Louis Massacre - Cloudhammer



The HLF has been dormant for five years. St Louis is the main serum research site. This will change.

  • ...
37
 137
 3,142

07 - A World Moves

Year 5, Week 19, Friday

“And we’re back from commercial. The story of the hour continues to be the unfolding attack on St Louis. The situation is still very confusing, but what we do have comes from our dedicated news helicopter pilot Hank Wilson. It appears that in the downtown ‘pony district’, a number of Royal Guard ponies have joined forces with police.” The chopper’s feed showed several Royal Guard charging a blockade of armored trucks, the single unicorn in the group conjuring a wall of flames to keep their heads down until the earth ponies could reach close quarters range. A few stray bullets ricocheted off the armor, not even slowing them down. A pegasus circled overhead before diving straight down onto a roof of a minigun truck to take out the gunner. “They’ve attacked several groups of the gunmen now and taken their weapons, and several of their trucks. In addition, six Apache helicopters from Scott Air Force Base are now in the city attempting to drive back the attackers, but it seems to be an even match, as the trucks are quick enough to keep ahead of the limited munitions the Apaches have.” The televised feed switched to a reporter on the ground. “Adrian, what else can you tell us?”

The man looked harried, and twitched at every burst of gunfire. “Uhhh, that’s right Diane. We’re still not sure how many police are cooperating with the Equestrian Royal Guard, but they seem to be substantial, as the black trucks we’ve seen have started roaming the streets in larger numbers. Earlier, we came very close to an engagement between the trucks and the Apache helicopters. It appears the two are at a virtual stalemate, but this gives the police the chance to regroup and try to push back.”

“I see. What are the streets like?” Diane asked, very glad to be safe behind her desk in New York.

“Well as you can see, it’s pretty bad down here. There are a lot of wounded ponies, and several hundred dead. The human citizens of the city have done what they can to help, but it’s been tough going. Some of the people we spoke with a little while ago claimed that some of the wounded ponies are reacting to any humans with fear and distrust. It’s just too confusing at this time,” Adrian said with a sigh.

“Well, just stay safe Adrian,” Diane said as she turned toward another camera. “The White House has issued a statement on the attack, saying only that they are aware of the situation, and are working on preparing a response as soon as possible. The National Guard has sealed off the bridges across the Mississippi to prevent the terrorists from being able to reach the St Louis airport, and we have word the Marines stationed at Lambert have set up a defensive perimeter.” She took a drink of water and a breath before continuing. “We’ve also heard unsubstantiated rumors from citizens that a large number of vehicles have been spotted driving toward Interstate 44 from the south and west, though who exactly these people are remains unclear. And lastly, there are unconfirmed reports that a large group of ponies have appeared in the suburban Bureau, which was confirmed to have been attacked earlier that morning. We have a video that was streamed to the internet a few minutes ago.”

The view cut to a shaky cell phone video of a number of ponies exiting the bullet-scarred entrance of the Bureau. A pegasus noticed the person holding the phone and leapt into the air, throwing a spherical object at them. The feed dissolved into a blur of static and was soon replaced by the general feed from the helicopter. Diane looked awkward for a moment, but then managed to get herself back on track. “We’ll continue to follow the story closely, stay tuned after the break.” The first commercial came on and Nimbus turned the TV off, her eyes hard. Breaker had finally calmed down and was sleeping for the time being. She’d called the Bureau and rescheduled his appointment for next week.

“At least Flare is alright for now. Aegis, Lariat, and the others too. And even the Old Pony himself... Well, if anypony can hold them together and keep them safe, he will.” She sighed, her ears folding. “I should have just made him stay here, or go to Hawaii for his bachelor party...”

There was a knock at the door and Nimbus trotted over, peering through the peephole first before opening it.

“Nimbus!” Skipjack cried out in relief as she entered the apartment, moving a little slowly due to her condition. She and Dusty had finally decided that the time was right for them to have foals of their own, and she was pretty far along, nearly seven months. To their surprise, the sixth month checkup had revealed that they were going to be having not one, but two foals. “Have you seen the news?”

“Who hasn’t?” Nimbus asked rhetorically as she pointed toward the couch. “Make yourself at home, I’ve got some milk left in the fridge if you want it.”

“That’d be great, thanks. Do you have any zucchini? I’ve been craving it for the past few days.” Skipjack said as she hefted herself onto the couch.

“Sorry, can’t say I do,” Nimbus laughed a little as she carried the glass on a small tray, setting it down on the end table.

“How’s Breaker doing?” Skipjack asked after taking a sip.

“Well, the news took over his morning cartoons and scared him, but I managed to calm him down and put him back to bed. The news feed showed Flare and the others just a few minutes ago, actually.” Nimbus clambered into the small recliner chair next to the couch.

“How are they doing?” Skipjack’s voice was worried.

“Well, they seem to be doing okay, the news says they’ve taken on a couple groups of whoever those humans are in conjunction with the police. There’s also a couple Apache helicopters giving the police a hoo- hand.” Nimbus laughed. “I swear, give me another year or so and you won’t be able to tell me from an Equestrian.”

Skipjack’s eyes were downcast. “I just hope that Dusty is alright...”

“Listen to me Skip. Dusty’s not about to let you deliver those foals without being there. On top of that, he’s got Aegis, Flare, Lariat, and the Old Pony himself watching his flank. I’m sure they’ll be fine.” Nimbus smiled, though she couldn’t help the small knot of worry that stubbornly clung to her heart.

“Mommy? What’s Aunt Skipjack doing here?” Breaker mumbled as he toddled out of his room, his Wonderbolts doll he’d gotten for Christmas held in his mouth.

“Well, she heard about the scary things on the TV and wanted to come make sure that we were okay,” Nimbus said with a smile, shooting an apologetic glance at Skipjack.

“O-okay.” Breaker yawned. “Can I watch cartoons?”

Nimbus hopped out of her chair, ruffling Breaker’s mane as she opened the DVD cabinet. “Sure, but just so the TV doesn’t try to be mean again, why don’t we put in one of your movies?”

“Yay! I wanna watch Finding Nemo!” Breaker giggled happily as he clambered onto the couch to settle down next to Skipjack.

“Alright then, let’s watch Finding Nemo.” Nimbus fumbled a little with the DVD case, but after a couple tries managed to get the disc into the player. “They really need to make pony-friendly versions of these.”

Skipjack laughed. “They’ll probably charge extra for them if they do though.”

Nimbus laughed as she climbed back into her chair, Breaker deciding he wanted to change seats to snuggle with her. The two mares shot each other a worried glance as the movie started playing, the same thoughts running through their minds, but both willing to let a child think the world had regained some sense of order.

“So what do we know of the situation now?” Celestia asked as she read through a document that had just been delivered.

Amber Dusk looked up. “The situation isn’t entirely clear, but it seems that the city police, in conjunction with the US Army and elements of the Royal Guard still in the city, have begun to push back the enemies. We still don’t know who they are or what they’re really after, only that they seem determined to retrieve something from the serum research facility.”

“I see,” Luna said, her eyes narrowed as she looked down at the map. “Has there been any request from the United States government for our assistance?”

“No, your Highness,” Amber Dusk said as an aide delivered another piece of paper. “My current opinion is they want to settle this on their own.”

Celestia nodded slowly, her eyes narrowed in thought. She turned her head slightly so that she was looking at Luna. ’What do you think, sister?’

’It does make sense for them to not ask our assistance, especially given the firepower the reports we’ve received indicate the enemies have.’ Luna replied. They didn’t usually speak using telepathy, but it did occasionally serve a purpose.

”So what should we do then? I’d prefer to not allow those Guards to go without help,” Celestia said as she took a breath. ”Not to mention that, even though they are not our citizens, we do owe at least some obligation to the ponified US citizens.”

“There’s another matter that has not been addressed yet,” Gold Arrow finally spoke up. “What do we do with the other Bureaus around the world? If the soldiers attacking St Louis are not the full extent of the enemy’s strength, then the other Bureaus could be at risk. To prevent loss of life from among our brightest who are working at the other research facilities, I propose that we recall them back to Canterlot and suspend all research on the serum for the time being.”

Amber Dusk shook his head. “We must not yield to these, these, terrorists, I believe is the English word for them. If we abandon our efforts here we will show them that we are of weak resolve. I am as appalled as the rest of us at this table, but above all, we must remain committed to our broader goal of saving the human race from extinction.”

“Amber Dusk, Gold Arrow has a point. Many of our citizens and friends are at immediate risk of death as we speak.” Celestia pointed out calmly.

“I understand that General Cloudhammer, Captains Flare and Aegis Exemplar, First Lieutenants Lariat, Dusty, Anvil and Wrecker, along with our experts at the serum research facility, are at risk. However, I have known Cloudhammer long enough to know that if he were here and I in his place he would argue exactly as I am now,” Amber Dusk said as he raised his neck. “Do I like putting ponies into harm’s way? Or course not. But this Council must remain above its personal feelings and work for the greater good of not only Equestria, but our friends and neighbors when they need our help.”

“But what about when they don’t want it? I’m sure this august body remembers the attack that occurred when we first tried to help these humans. They very nearly killed one of the Bearers of an Element of Harmony!” Gold Arrow’s voice was hot with anger now. “I’m beginning to think that the majority of this species isn’t even worthy of the efforts put into trying to save them!” A host of voices spoke up in support of him, while others decried his suggestion.

That will be enough, General Gold Arrow.” Celestia’s voice rang out across the din of the throne room. The shouting instantly quieted down, the ponies occupying their gazes with the floor. She gently rose to stand on her hooves, the ever-present smile on her face somehow less warm and more imposing. “The humans are volatile, and prone to anger, that is true. But they are our friends, and we will not have discussions of abandoning all of them because of the actions of a relative few.”

“But, your Majesty-” Gold Arrow ducked his head as Celestia turned her gaze to him.

“I declare this session of Court to be in recess. We will reconvene in one hour. General Gold Arrow, if you would please remain.” The ponies gathered at the table gave each other nervous looks, muttering to each other as they filed out. Soon, the only ponies in the room were the Princesses and Gold Arrow.

“Princesses, I-” He clamped his mouth shut as Celestia rose to her hooves.

“Gold Arrow, you have served the throne well for decades. Nopony here can dispute that your loyalty to Equestria is absolute. However, your attitude regarding the humans is unbecoming of what is expected of a General of the Royal Guard. On top of that, the investigation into the sabotage of Captain Aegis Exemplar’s examination approximately three years and thirty-three weeks ago has revealed a special order discreetly hidden in your desk, for a chain not suitable for the boulder that Captain Exemplar was to pull.”

“That’s... I had nothing to due with that! Cloudhammer was in charge of setting up the test! Just because he wasn’t careful enough to-”

“General Gold Arrow, the evidence is overwhelmingly against you. Therefore, I strip you of your rank. You are not fit to be a part of this Royal Guard any longer.” Celestia’s voice was hard as her horn glowed, his armor glowing a similar color before it dissolved into a shower of dust. Gold Arrow’s coat faded back to its natural white-yellow hue, his auburn mane short-cut.

“Celestia.... please.” Gold Arrow pleaded.

“You are dismissed Gold Arrow.” Celestia’s tone was final, her eyes stern.

The former General opened and closed his mouth wordlessly, but hung his head in defeat, turning and slowly walking from the throne room. As the heavy doors swung closed Celestia sighed.

“It had to be done sister. We’ve been putting it off for a year now,” Luna said somberly.

“I know Luna, I know.” Celestia flicked her ears. “I still remember seeing him on the training fields all those years ago. Even then, he was dismissive of non-ponies, and had an enormous ambition in his heart. For a time that worked out, as Stormhoof was his superior, and even when he wasn’t still ignored him. But when he retired and Cloudhammer took the armor, Gold Arrow began to consolidate his authority.”

“Sister,” Luna chided gently, “I’ve done my research on the past millenium. You need not justify Gold Arrow’s character to me. Now, what do you wish to do about the researchers at the other facilities?”

“They will remain in place.” Looking toward the door, Celestia gently opened the doors. “Ruby? Notify the Guard to prepare themselves and a Beacon Stone on Hawaii. Contact Doctor Silverheart at Canterlot Hospital, we’ll need any of the hospital staff that can be spared.”

Ruby trotted back into view. “Yes, your Highness. How many Guards should be prepared?”

Celestia thought for a second. “Oh, about a regiment will do.”

“Right away Princess. Princess Luna.” Ruby bowed low and galloped down the hallway to carry out his orders. His mind was abuzz, having seen Gold Arrow leaving the throne room in disgrace. ’I wonder how General Cloudhammer will take it?’ he wondered.

“So how are things now?” Foster asked, tapping a pen on the table.

“Well, the chatter from the Apaches indicated they had early success, but the Suburbans are quick enough to stay out of the line of fire. The denser buildings downtown gave the edge to the Apaches, but after they first took casualties they fell back to the more open areas here around the Bureau and serum research facility.” Kingsworth pointed along the maps. “The St Louis police have been getting the edge back thanks to the timely assistance from those Royal Guard, and are starting to make a push for the serum research facility now. Sir, I think we can release the National Guard from holding the bridges and let them come give the police a hand.”

Foster didn’t even hesitate. “Do it. Send a message to the Equestrian Embassy. I want to have Fancypants come down so we can figure out what our next steps will be.”

“We’ll need to get the Director of FEMA involved, set up an area to start working on the wounded. St Louis Emergency Services will be doing what they can, but there’s still not a lot of doctors who are trained on the ins and outs of pony anatomy. See if the Equestrians would be willing to send over some of their doctors,” LaRue said, consulting some of his figures.

“Any word from CIA or FBI?” Foster asked next.

“No sir. FBI is looking through the records for any purchases of miniguns, but thus far they’ve not hit a breakthrough.” Curtis replied.

“Alright. Send an update to the Equestrian Embassy.” Foster ordered, his eyes narrowed as he watched the talking heads try to explain what they just didn’t know.