• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 3,142 Views, 137 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: The St. Louis Massacre - Cloudhammer



The HLF has been dormant for five years. St Louis is the main serum research site. This will change.

  • ...
37
 137
 3,142

12 - A Hand is Dealt

Year 5, Week 19, Friday

Codex sighed in relief as he felt the teleport spell deposit him, Powder Dance and the others onto the stone floor of the PER headquarters. “I thought we’d never make it.”

Powder Dance smiled. “Nonsense, you did great.”

“Please, I’m nowhere near Spatial Shift’s level.” Codex looked up as Amber Dream came galloping over.

“What are you all doing here? Where’s Rampart and the others?” Amber Dream’s eyes narrowed as he saw them all look nervously at each other. “Tell me what happened.”

Powder Dance took an awkward step forward. “W-well, we arrived at the suburban Bureau... there, there were no survivors...”

There was a chorus of gasps from the rapidly growing crowd of ponies. Amber Dream silenced them with a sharp look and turned back to Powder Dance. “Go on.”

“They even killed the foals... in the daycare.” Powder Dance gulped as she felt the nausea returning. “R-Rampart he... he just went crazy...”

Codex put a hoof on her shoulder, then looked at Amber Dream. “He ordered us off-mission, to hunt down the ones who’d carried out the attack, but it got out of hoof. They started ponifying people we passed along the way, and when we found the humans responsible, many of the others had become as driven to see revenge done. The humans were engaged in a fight with a group of what I believe were local ‘gangs’. Upon Cloud Climber’s observation that the gang members seemed to be enjoying themselves, Rampart ordered the pegasi to attack both groups with the serum spheres.”

Amber Dream’s eyes narrowed as he pondered this disturbing information. “I assume there’s more?”

“Yes. Once the serum had done it’s job, Rampart began to interrogate the newly converted until he found the one who had killed the foals in the daycare...” It was here that Codex began to feel sick. “He... he killed him on the spot, and was going to keep going...”

A few of the ponies who had come back nodded weakly in agreement.

“We... we stood up to him when he demanded another, and only a few ponies decided to follow him, including Cloud Climber. He mocked us for being weak before teleporting away.” Codex hung his head. “I’m sorry that we didn’t do more to stop him Grand Knight... but you should have seen the look in his eyes...”

Amber Dream shook his head. “No, do not blame yourself. What matters now is what we do from here on. Aurora, get some parchment and a quill, we’ll need to notify Grand Master Sky Shimmer about this right away. Spatial Shift should be waking up soon, so he can go to the pre-arranged spot, drop off the letter, and get out before anypony notices him.”

Aurora nodded as she hurried off. Amber Dream turned to the others. “I know this is a lot of information to take in, but we cannot let this sway us from our purpose. We need to be ready for whatever Sky Shimmer and the other Grand Knights decide to do.” The other ponies nodded and dispersed, beginning to double check their supplies in case they had to relocate.

“Amber Dream...” Codex hesitated, “there’s something else. I threatened Rampart with tipping the Royal Guard off about him, and he just laughed, saying that it would lead to the rest of us first.”

Amber Dream sighed. “That is true, they’d probably find us first. But, we have an advantage Rampart does not anymore. We’ve not hurt anypony, and the humans we attacked to steal the initial batch of serum were not killed either. On top of that, if we disperse, and everypony each takes a serum sphere with them, then even the Royal Guard doesn’t have the strength to find us all. The PER, the true PER, will continue in spite of this.”

Codex nodded, feeling a little bit better as he joined the other ponies in making preparations. Once Amber Dream was sure he was out of earshot, he sighed heavily. “Rampart... wherever you are, I’m sorry for putting you through that.”

The lobby in the San Francisco Bureau was packed to capacity as the ponies and humans watched the shaky feed in silence, eyes wide as the griffons slaughtered the Marines.

“What in Equestria are we supposed to do now? If there are more of those lunatics out there I don’t feel safe here anymore,” one of the ponies, a native, said as he stamped a hoof irritably on the floor.

“Is there a teleport to Hawaii planned anytime soon? I don’t think I feel comfortable trying to raise my family here if something like this can happen.” another native piped up nervously.

“Why isn’t the Guard there? They know how to fight those things!”

At the back of the crowd of nervous ponies, Miguel stood by the counter staring at the screen. He’d been working maintenance here at this Bureau for the past two years, ever since the Hawaiian Evacuation. He liked it here, the native Equestrians had been a little cold to him at first once word got out of what he’d done in Brazil, but he’d gradually earned their respect and even friendship. He didn’t have much, but to him it was enough. But this, seeing his friends trying not to be frightened around him infuriated him more than he thought it would. He tightened his fists, crushing the Bureau sign-in form he’d been filling out before this whole mess had started. He’d finally made his choice to undergo ponification, having nothing left keeping him bound to his human body. But this... this demencia, he could not turn his back on this. If those lunatics were so set on their course of violence and death, then he had do what he could to show the ponies that not all men were like that. Crushing the form into a ball, he threw it into the garbage with a sigh.

“M-Miguel?” He looked down to see one of the older earth pony colts, Alan, looking up at him. He was here while his parents were undergoing the ponification process. He’d become friends with the colt after he’d found him crying down in the basement. Apparently his family was planning to move to Equestria and he didn’t want to leave his friends behind.

“Hey there Alan, what’s up?”

Alan dug a hoof nervously at the floor. “Well, I just wanted to say, I overheard some of the adults saying some mean things about you, and wanted to make sure you knew you’re not like those mean people on the TV.”

Miguel couldn’t help but smile as he tousled the colt’s mane. “I know, but thanks amigo.” He looked back up at the TV as it went back to earlier coverage of the Royal Guard assisting the police. “I hope that Flare is alright. Nimbus is going to kill him if he gets himself hurt.”

“Mister Flare is there?” Alan folded his ears back. “I think he should leave the Guard, go back to Equestria so he and Miss Nimbus and Breaker can not have to worry.”

Miguel shook his head. “Well, it’s because of who Flare is that he can’t be anywhere else.”

Alan thought about it and snorted. “That doesn’t make any sense Miguel.”

“Well, I guess you’ll understand when you’re older,” Miguel said with a small chuckle as he looked back at the screen.

The Situation Room was silent as the footage of the griffons attacking replayed. Foster took a deep breath, then turned to look at Celestia. “Might you have an explanation for why there are griffons participating in this attack?”

Celestia shook her head. “No. This is as much a surprise to me as it is to you.”

“Can you enhance this video?” Amber Dusk’s eyes were hard as he stared at the screen.

“Well, we would need to let our analysts spend some time with the video, but yes, we can enhance it. What are you getting at?” Kingsworth asked.

The unicorn got to his hooves and walked to stand in front of the screen, staring intently at the video of the griffon striking a Marine unconscious. “I’m not sure... I swear that I’ve seen that griffon before, or seen a report about that griffon.”

“Are you sure Amber Dusk?” Celestia asked curiously.

Amber Dusk nodded. “I’m sure of it. That griffon’s a Hunter, usually employed by the Skyclaw Eyrie.”

Foster tilted his head. “So, what is that supposed to mean?”

Amber Dusk sighed, settling into a pose that reminded everyone present of a college professor gearing up to put his class to sleep. “The Skyclaw Eyrie was one of the most outspoken eyries against Iron Talon’s rise to power. Even now, they still remain very friendly to ponies, in spite of Scythion’s continued stance against Equestria.”

Kingsworth nodded, starting to see what Amber Dusk was getting at. “You suspect something’s not right about this.”

“That is correct. Hunters are only nominally bound to the Eyries, ultimately they serve whoever is paying them, and then the King, in that order.” Amber Dusk’s eyes narrowed. “It’s too early to say for sure, but I’m starting to think Iron Talons might have something to do with this.”

Foster tapped a finger on the desk, before leaning forward. “So do you think he’s directly working with these terrorists?”

“While I wouldn’t put it past him, all he’d have to do is arrange for the knowledge of Hunters to come to the public’s attention, and from there the terrorists could have made contact with them.”

“So then what do you suggest we do?” Kingsworth asked.

“The important thing is not allowing those griffons to leave this city. If we can capture them, we’ll find out what they know.” The unicorn’s voice was hard.

Kingsworth nodded. “Well, the air force has four F-16s overhead now, nothing can get off the ground, and the National Guard troops are heading north as we speak. Fortunately we evacuated the pilots from the airport, so unless they brought their own they aren’t going anywhere.”

“Good,” Amber Dusk rose to his hooves. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to have some of the Royal Guard entering St Louis to help secure the location as well. We don’t know what other tricks these terrorists have remaining up their sleeves.”

The column of National Guard trucks raced along the I-170 toward Lambert Airport. The men inside were silent, the news having come down a moment ago about the slaughter of the Marines.

Inside his fire-team’s Humvee, Sergeant David Young drummed his fingers on his knees as he looked out the window. His eyes were drawn, still seeing the damage done to the city and the inhabitants.

“Yo, bleedin’ heart, you still feelin’ sad? Not worth your time bro.” The man sitting on the other side of the backseat said irritably, his M-14 rifle leaning against the seat next to him.

“Well, look at the smoke, Dessie-”

“Desmond.”

“Whatever...this could have been Belleview. These are our people out there.” David sighed. He’d never expected a combat deployment on US soil of all places. It was all he could do not to rifle through his seemingly meager first aid supplies.

Moses grunted from the front passenger seat. “Always time to care.” His meaty hands worked their way one last time, checking the ammo belt that fed his M249 for kinks before locking the cover down. He’d said his bit, and that was that.

“Yeah, well, all we gotta worry about right now are them monsters at the airfield. You hear much more, Sargey-wargey?” Desmond aimed at Emmet, who was the one currently in control of the vehicle. Roger Cullen, the ‘stranger’ amongst the four, was handling the M2 .50 cal mounted on the roof.

“We’ve not received more specific orders as of yet, corporal, if that’s what you’re asking. Now hush back there, or I’ll turn this thing around. And no ice cream.” Emmet grinned. He had David and even Moses laughing, though Desmond was less than enthused.

“Sergeant! Looks like our exit’s ahead!” Roger shouted down, knuckles white as he gripped the handles of the M2. He’d only completed basic combat training a week before, and was ready to step up and defend his countrymen.

Emmet turned the wheel, following the other Humvees down the ramp toward the freight terminal. Peering ahead, the soldiers could see the black trucks of the terrorists surrounding one of the bulk transport planes.

“Sir! More soldiers coming!” One of the men on the line shouted back to Captain Brett Owen.

“Hold the line for as long as you can, then fall back to the airplane, our hostages and data we took will force them to let us go!” Owens shouted as he climbed the ladder to the airplane and entered the body. As he stepped through the door he could hear the first barks of gunfire reaching out toward the Humvees, and he sighed, knowing that given their pitiful numbers, they wouldn’t make it. “So, is there an escape plan if they try to storm the airplane?” he asked the hulking griffon standing in front of the door to the cargo area.

The beast looked down at him with a disdainful sneer. “Do not worry yourself human. The mission will be completed as per orders.”

“Good, good. Now, I think at least letting me begin preliminary interrogation of the prisoners would tell us which one is the most valuable-” He tried to push past the griffon only for it to shove him backward violently, knocking him to the floor.

“Our orders are clear. No one is allowed to see the prisoners but us.”

“And I’m the ranking officer on this mission! You answer to me you freak-” He started to get up, only to be shoved back down by the barrel of the M249 in his mouth.

“Speak another word and I will end you, you hairless dog. Our arrangement was very specific. Do not push its boundaries.” The griffon jammed the barrel further, then withdrew it and slung it over its shoulder.

Brett gasped for breath, spitting the tang of gun oil from his mouth as he got to his feet. He didn’t know who thought hiring these fucking monsters was a good idea, but he was definitely going to recommend they not do so again. He turned and walked to the flight deck, risking a glance out the windows. He could see the National Guard trucks forming up, punishing salvoes of firepower cutting down his men as they tried to fall back to the airplane. “Fuck me, this is going south fast.”

The griffon waited until the noisome human was out of earshot before pulling out a phone. Pressing the buttons to dial a preprogrammed number, it held the phone awkwardly to it’s ear. “Yes, this is Rend. The enemy will be upon us soon. Doubtful of escape aboard the aircraft.” The voice on the other side spoke briefly and the gryphon nodded. “Yes, contingency plan in place, no survivors will remain to talk.” He allowed a savage grin to cross his face as he looked toward the sealed door, wishing he could be in there for all that was going on.

Inside the cargo area, the three other griffons stood at roughly equal positions around the interior, careful to not obstruct the lines being drawn by the wizened griffon ritualist. The bound unicorns writhed in terror as the ritualist dipped his claws into the exposed innards of Captain Hodges, the human screaming incoherently past the gag in his mouth. The ritualist ignored him, continuing to paint the red lines across the floor and walls. “Human serves better than expected, his agony will be more than sufficient to fuel the ritual,” he rasped in a dry, brittle voice.

One of the other griffons clacked it’s beak eagerly as it looked hungrily toward the two bound pegasi they’d taken along with the unicorns. “Excellent, we could always use a snack for later. How much longer until we are ready?”

The ritualist tilted his head and eyed the complex array of lines. “Very soon. As his lifeblood flows, the ritual will reach the required potency. Now be silent, I must direct the blessing of the Great Hunter.”

The remaining terrorists were starting to realize the futility of continuing the battle against the National Guard, and despite the shouted orders from Captain Owen to continue to resist they were laying down their arms and surrendering.

“Should just fuckin’ shoot em all. Bastards want to shoot up an American city and then think they can get off scott free? Fuck em," Desmond said irritably as he kept his rifle trained on one of the surrendering terrorists while another soldier cable-tied him.

“Just because they’ve done monstrous things is no reason for us to fall to their level, Desmond," David said as he treated one of the injured terrorists.

“Seems like a waste of time to me,” Desmond said irritably before his and the other soldier’s attention was drawn to the far end of the tarmac, where a number of brilliant flashes were resolving themselves into the shapes of Royal Guard unicorns. “Well well, look who’s late to the party.”

The unicorns made their way over, their brown eyes locked on the airplane until they’d joined the National Guard troops. One of the unicorns trotted up to Emmet. “I’m Captain Nebula, who’s in command here?”

Emmet pointed to where a cluster of command staff could be seen. “You’d be looking for Sergeant Wallen. He’s right over there.”

‘Thank you. Any response from them?” The unicorn indicated the plane with a nod of his head.

“Not that we’ve seen,” Emmet said.

Nebula nodded. “Very well.” He turned to another unicorn. “Solaris, begin to establish a perimeter, I don’t want anything sneaking in or trying to use magic without us knowing.”

“Yes sir.” Solaris turned and started sending the unicorns to stand in a loose ring around the airplane.

“I thought griffons didn’t use magic.” Moses observed as he stared at the plane.

Solaris blinked. “Well, as far as we know, they do have a ritualistic culture, but I don’t think it’s more than superstition.” He looked toward the airplane, “So, did you guys have a plan in place to take the plane? They’ve got hostages from the serum research center... all the researchers and two pegasus guards.”

Emmet blinked. “We didn’t know anything about that.”

“Well, Sergeant Wallen will change the plan,” David said quickly. “Don’t worry, we’ll get them all out safely.”

“I hope so. Between the researchers and the records the terrorists stole, it’d set us back months on the development of the serum.”

Inside the aircraft, Captain Hodges could practically feel the blackness creeping in. His hands and feet were numb, and the feeling was spreading inexorably towards his torso, which remained a hellish inferno of pain. The ritualist dipped it’s claws into the open wound in his stomach and slowly drew the last line into place. “The array is complete. We may begin at any time.”

The other griffons nodded, their eyes roving across Hodges’ body as though deciding what to carve off. The one closest to the door opened it and hissed to the one waiting outside, who grinned as he entered the room. Taking a deep, appreciative sniff, he shut the door and barred it. “Then let us begin, our employer has given us permission to escape by any means necessary. No sense in trying the means that might not work, after all.”

The griffons all chuckled before turning toward Captain Hodges. As the claws came for him, he at least satisfied himself with only having to tolerate a few seconds of it before a beak tore his throat out.

Outside, one of the unicorns closer to the tail of the plane noticed it first, a low, steady throb in the air. “Uhh, Lieutenant? Something’s going on...” He took a few steps back as the skin of the plane began to pulse a dull red, snaps of brighter red lightning dancing across the metal.

Solaris’ eyes widened and he wheeled toward Emmet and the others. “Get back! It’s magic!”

Moses didn’t even hesitate, snatching David and Desmond up in his hands and throwing them over the hood of the Humvee, grabbing Emmet before doing the same. Other soldiers began to run, but with a final, heavier thud, the light suddenly exploded outward, patches of the plane’s frame ripping free from the force of it. It washed across running men, their skin searing black in seconds.

Moses howled in agony as the wave washed over him, the last conscious act he remembered trying to cover his squad with his own body. It didn’t make any difference in the end, the surge of light passing right through him to bathe the men now trapped under him.

The unicorns fared better, the thaumatic radiation not harming them directly, though all of them fell to the ground as the metallic taste of blood filled their mouths, pulses of pain originating at the base of their horns, and the stench of burning flesh assaulting their noses. Gasping for breath, Nebula pushed a blackened corpse off him and looked around in horror at the devastation. “Solaris! Get back to the Bureau! We need serum and we need it right now! The rest of you, fan out and find survivors!”

Solaris nodded, his horn glowing bright despite the pain as he locked in on the Beacon Stone, and vanished. Unicorns, staggering to their hooves, began to carefully search among the bodies for any surviving soldiers, helping the living as best they could.

With a wheeze, David heaved Moses off of him, hissing in pain as his skin and muscles burned. He tried to get up, but couldn’t feel his left leg, and after a glance down at the blackened husk decided that he didn’t need his breakfast anymore. Steeling himself, he took off his backpack, nearly blacking out in the process, but managing to start pulling his medical supplies out.

Looking around, he felt what little of his body he could go numb. All around him he could see the bodies of soldiers lying twisted on the ground, their uniforms ripped and exposed skin blackened like overcooked steak. His eyes stopped on their Humvee and he felt his stomach convulse at the sight of Roger, slumped over at the gun, a shriveled black mass barely recognizable as human.

“There’s four survivors here! Give me a hoof!” A trio of unicorns galloped over as David, tearing his eyes away from the Humvee, started trying to apply bandages to Desmond’s writhing body.

“Who’s there! Jesus Christ I can’t see!” Desmond howled as he tried to sit up.

“Take it easy there, I got ya,” David said weakly, fighting to keep his eyes open. He heard more snaps and slowly turned his head, seeing more unicorns appearing and splitting up towards different soldiers. “Don’t worry, we’ll have you seeing crystal clear in no time.”

“Heh... always... gotta be the bleeding heart, don’tcha?” Desmond said as he blacked out.

Four unicorns skidded to a stop next to them. “How many?”

“All four still breathing, but they’re going to die right now unless we ponify them. I’ll accept any punishment,” Solaris barked, helping to restrain Emmet as another unicorn levitated a needle out of a case.

David felt hooves gently rolling him onto his back, and a mild pinching as he felt something slide into his arm, truth be told a blessed relief from the searing pain the rest of his body was experiencing.

“Just lay back, you’re going to be okay.” A voice was saying to him, but he couldn’t even tell whose it was as the world faded to black around him. His last thought was ‘Someone better remember Moses is O negative.