• Published 6th Aug 2012
  • 17,490 Views, 1,076 Comments

The Literary Appeal - HiddenBrony



Cheerilee gets an unexpected invitation from Ponyville's librarian, but her mother has other plans.

  • ...
54
 1,076
 17,490

The Scholarly Appeal

Author's Note:

Apparently, Cheerilee has a twin sister by the name of Cherry Blossom. I'm not even surprised they decided to make that early marketing mixup into a completely separate piece of lore.

“And that concludes the fundamental theorem of Calculus. Anypony have any questions?” Cheerilee asked her class, her bright eyes scanning the room for any glazed over expressions. Luckily, her fears were unfounded as even Snips and Snails seemed excited over the prospect of math, of all things. “Very good, class. Now, I know you all have been waiting very patiently for class to end, and seeing that it’s such a nice day out, I think I can turn you all loose early for the day–”

With an unnatural roar, the class exploded into a frightful din, the students immediately starting to pack their school utensils into their desks as they let their thoughts run over the wonderful gift of an extra half an hour their teacher had given them. “Now, everypony, I want questions one through ten done tonight, and question eleven is extra credit for anypony who wants to take a chance at Differential Calculus.”

“Oh! Do we get extra credit anyway for attempting it?” Sweetie Belle chimed, raising her hoof into the air. Cheerilee chuckled but answered with a slight nod. “Yaaaay! Come on girls! Tonight we’re gonna be Cutie Mark Crusader Mathematicians!”

Applebloom beamed at her friends as she skipped out the door, her nose directed in the general direction of the clubhouse. “I can’t wait!”

“I don’t even know what that is and I’m excited!” Scootlaoo called after the two, galloping not too far behind. Cheerilee took a seat at her desk, smiling as the rest of the class exited. As the last foal trundled out behind Snips and Snails, Cheerilee’s serene expression faded as she let her face slump on her desk.

“What a week...” Cheerilee breathed, her eyes fluttering. Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara were caught bullying Snips and Snails on Monday, and after the talk with their parents, the two had been model students. Wednesday was when she had so foalishly promised to have her book reports graded and turned back, so she had spent her Tuesday evening under the lamplight, and Wednesday was spent scheduling for next week. Thursday was when she brought in a guest speaker from Hoofington, and she had to treat them out to dinner as part of the agreement with the school board. And now it was Friday, and unlike last week, she need not have to worry about a legion of pony writing to worry her. Cheerilee allowed herself a tired smile. It had been mildly awkward, but she had asked Twilight to help with the scheduling on Wednesday, and she seemed so excited.

Twilight Sparkle, there’s a pony who she never expected to have fallen for her. Cheerilee picked herself off her desk and rested her head on her hoof. The schoolteacher huffed as she recalled the first thing she said. “My mother has a way of needling herself into all of my relationships,” she thought aloud.

Cheerilee wasn’t even close to surprised when she heard Twilight Sparkle at the door. “Oh! Um,” Twilight was making awkward faces, framed in the doorway. Cheerilee slid her head lazily as she greeted Twilight.

“Come in,” she beckoned, not wishing to keep Twilight outside. “It’s been quite a long day. It’s been quite an exciting day of teaching, no small thanks to your scheduling ability, Twilight.” Cheerilee praised, watching Twilight’s slow movements around the tables of the classroom. Absentmindedly, Twilight’s magic picked up a pencil that she had just barely kicked with a hoof, left by some lazy schoolfoal.

“Oh! Yes? I mean, thanks,” Twilight said, her eyes looking at just about everything in the room but Cheerilee. Getting up on her hooves, Cheerilee walked around her desk, putting herself in full view of Twilight as the unicorn danced around the desks.

Wearing an unsure expression, Cheerilee leaned her head forward. “Um, Twilight? Did you have any reason for coming by? Not that I don’t mind you visiting, but you seem–” Despite never making eye contact with Cheerilee, Twilight managed to completely forget that she was navigating chairs. With a loud crash and a tangle of hooves, Twilight screeched in terror as she fell to the ground, her hoof caught in the vice-like grip of an inanimate object. Wincing back, Cheerilee could only survey the carnage as Twilight groaned on the floor. “–distracted. Are you alright, Twilight.”

“F-F-Fine!” she lied, kicking off the demon chair with a desperate push. The pencil she held was quickly joined by the floating furniture. “Peachy–perfect!” With a scramble of hooves and a spark of her horn, Twilight’s magic started to hastily right what she had wronged. “Just a trip.” Now she was looking at Cheerilee, her eyes begging not to be judged. “Everypony trips, I mean, who doesn’t? I’ve seen Celestia trip before!”

Cheerilee’s eyes never left the chair that Twilight was horrendously trying to upright. “And as for the etiquette of putting a chair back upright..?” As of that moment, Twilight had opened the student’s desk and was attempting to compact the chair inside. Ceasing her magic, Twilight stared at the impossible task, her mouth open but unsure of what to say anymore. Chuckling, Cheerilee grabbed the chair leg in her mouth and placed it gently on the floor.

“I-I-I–” Twilight stammered, her magic still spinning the pencil. As the redness in her cheeks continued to flare, Cheerilee could feel a latent fear for her schoolhouse if she didn’t stop the mare before she reached critical mass. “I just wanted to come by and maybe ask you if you wanted to do something andmaybedinnerIhearthenewDaringDoiscom–”

Reaching over, Cheerilee’s hoof wrapped around Twilight’s neck and brought her close, sealing the librarian’s mouth her own. This had the added benefit of being a kiss. Twilight’s eyes went wide as saucers, the pencil in her grasp flying completely out of her magical grasp. At that moment, Twilight started to go limp in the schoolteacher’s hooves, her tense muscles relaxing as her eyes started to roll back.

Releasing the unicorn, Cheerilee fought to keep her raging blush from turning her face any redder than it already was. “Ahem– Twilight,” Cheerilee began, her lips tingling. “Sweet Celestia,” she whispered, her mind coming back into focus. “We went over this before on Wednesday. There is simply no reason to be shy with me!”

“I... you... kissed me,” Twilight murmured.

Cheerilee blinked. “Yes.”

“You hadn’t kissed me before.”

Cheerilee opened her mouth to answer, but her voice caught in her throat. They hadn’t? It had been a week; she usually had a better track record than that.

“I hadn’t even been kissed before.” Twilight said, her voice strangely subdued. Cheerilee felt her stomach drop from under her. Twilight Sparkle hadn’t been kissed before? Like, ever? “M-m-my first kiss.”

“T-Twilight!” Cheerilee said, her eyes bulging. “I am so, so, sor–”

EEEEeeeeeeEEEEE!” Twilight squeaked, her smile exploding onto her face. “You kissed me! I kissed somepony and that pony was Cheeeeerrrrileeee!” Bounding up into the air, Cheerilee was witness to a phenomenon that very few ponies were ever privy to– a feelingsgasm. Watching her marefriend bounce around, Cheerilee’s eyes could only follow Twilight’s flickering tail, her gaze firmly on her surprisingly firm-looking hindquarters.

Snapping herself out of it was a task upon itself, but eventually Cheerilee caught Twilight in mid-landing, corralling Twilight and giving her an emergency peck on the cheek. All at once, Twilight froze up, her smile frozen on her face as she looked gleefully into emerald eyes. “G’hee!” she laughed with suppressed glee. Cheerilee was smiling so hard herself that her cheeks started to hurt.

“So, you were talking about dinner?” Cheerilee asked calmly. Looking into her eyes, Twilight nodded quickly, her dazzling smile completely stuck on her face. “Then we’ll do dinner.”

Cheerilee trotted out of the schoolhouse, the picture of keeping her cool, while Twilight scrambled behind her, her hooves disobeying her every through as they skipped about without her permission. “Where’re we going?”

“Oh, I dunno. We’ll figure it out on the way,” Cheerilee sang, her brain trying so hard to keep her smile down; her cheeks were feeling mildly sore.

At the other entrance into the schoolhouse, the barely faded maroon pony watched the two mares trot off, a smile growing on her own face. “No after school lessons you said, Cherry. How could you lie to your mother?” With a mischievous giggle of her own, the middle-aged pony skipped her way a far distance behind the two.