• Published 20th Oct 2018
  • 1,259 Views, 72 Comments

Absinthe Makes the Heart Go Yonder. - Tumbleweed



In which Flash Sentry drinks too much and finds a very specific mirror ...

  • ...
2
 72
 1,259

Some Notes on the Text

Ever since I published the first volume of The Flash Sentry Papers, a great deal of debate has risen in certain academic sectors (and a certain subset of more casual readers) about the veracity of Flash Sentry's memoirs. Indeed, Sentry's memoirs can best be described as “reliably unreliable.”

And yet, the historical record mostly corroborates Sentry's accounts. I have spent long hours, poring over passenger registers, train schedules, army records, newspapers and any other first-hoof sources I could find matching the events described in Flash Sentry's memoirs. Given the confidential nature of many of Sentry's assignments, this has been quite a daunting task. On occasions when her busy schedule permits it, Princess Twilight has graciously assisted me in these endeavors, though more often than not her answers only raise more questions. Despite these difficulties, I am willing to vouch for the authenticity of each and every volume of The Flash Sentry Papers.

Except for this one.

I don't mean to say that this is a fictional text-- but at the same time, this particular adventure of Sentry's is simply impossible to verify (for reasons you, dear reader, will likely figure out before long). This said, I have absolutely no reason to believe Sentry fabricated the following account, as he simply has no motivation to do so. Indeed, this is definitely a case where the truth is far, far stranger than a potential fiction.

With this disclaimer made, I humbly request that you, dear reader, keep an open mind when reading this account. Or, well, more open than usual, I suppose. Still, as always, I will provide running commentary in order to provide greater clarity when needed, though I will be the first to admit that I am only a historian, and not a magical theorist. The final verdict, as always, will remain with you, dear reader.



-G.M.F.