• Published 19th Oct 2018
  • 2,132 Views, 67 Comments

My Big Fat Griffon Wedding - LunaJack



Cinnamon Roll, the daughter of Applejack, is getting married to Gulliand, the nephew of Gustave Le Grande. Together, they will open a restaurant in Griffonstone...unless their families have anything to say about it!

  • ...
6
 67
 2,132

Meet at the Tasty Treat

“Come on! Down this way!”

The group followed Gulliand and Cinnamon Roll as they led them down Canterlot’s prestigious restaurant row. The buildings were all alike with white fronts, blue doors and wooden signs proudly displaying three golden hooves. A maître-d wearing a sharp black suit stood at attention in front of each one. Guinevere nodded in approval.

“Very nice. Just what you would expect from a fine restaurant in Canterlot.”

“Tissue paper,” whispered Blueberry darkly.

“Cardboard,” murmured Raspberry.

“Little portions,” muttered Cherry.

Gidget and Gigi started to look worried. “Where exactly is this place?” they asked.

“Right this way!” answered Cinnamon, guiding them down a side street away from the pristine white buildings. At the end of the lane was a small building painted a rich, burnt-orange with two tall windows shaped like lanterns. Its blue door was shaped like an onion and above it was a large red and yellow flower with the cheerful picture of an elephant painted on it.

“Here we are!” cried Gulliand. “The Tasty Treat!”

“Whoa!” Applejack murmured. “I’ve heard Rarity talk about this place. She says it’s purty darned good.”

“It certainly smells good,” said Gigi, taking a whiff. “Mmmm! Rich and spicy!”

Everyone took a deep breath, mouths watering at the delicious aroma. Guinevere, however, was unconvinced.

“I thought we were going to some place fine,” she hissed in her son's ear.

“It is fine, Mother,” Gulliand insisted. “The Tasty Treat serves some of the best tasting food in Canterlot.”

“But there is no hoof rating!” she whispered frantically. “I couldn’t be seen setting paw in a restaurant without a hoof rating!”

“Tell her to wait outside, then,” muttered Prism. Gigi and Gidget, who were standing nearby, choked down a laugh.

“The hoof rating doesn’t matter, Mrs. LeGrand,” Cinnamon Roll assured her. “Believe me, we’ve tried those restaurants. All their food tastes the same. The Tasty Treat serves delicious food and plenty of it.”

“You had me at ‘plenty’,” said Cinnamon Stick, licking his lips.

Guinevere rubbed her claws together nervously. “I-I just don’t know…” Gulliand rolled his eyes.

“It’s cheaper,” he deadpanned.

"Oh!" The griffinness perked up at that. “Well, in that case I suppose I could give it a try.”

Gulliand sighed. “I knew you’d see reason.”

“Wow!” The group breathed as they stepped inside the restaurant. The place was small but the inside was bright and festive with decorations from lands they had only heard of in stories. Colorful silks hung in swags from the rafters. Festive lanterns hung invitingly over the tables. Floral and paisley patterns decorated the walls.

“Hello! Welcome to the Tasty Treat!” a young amber colt with a short raspberry-colored mane greeted them cheerfully. “The most exotic cuisine in Canterlot! How may I serve you?”

“Hey, Tamarind,” said Cinnamon Roll giving the colt an affectionate hug. “You filling in for your Grandfather today?”

“Sure am!” he replied throwing out his chest proudly. “Dada is in the kitchen covering for Mother until she returns from the graduation ceremony. She should be back any minute. Are you here to eat or visit?”

“Eat, definitely!”

“Okay!” Tamarind grabbed some menus and tried to look professional. “How many are in your party?” he asked.

“Ummmm…” Gulliand did a quick headcount. “Looks like…nineteen.”

“NINETEEN!” Tamarind’s eyes went wide as he took in the number of ponies, griffins and dragons standing behind Gulliand and Cinnamon Roll. A big grin spread across his face and he wriggled in excitement. “This is wonderful! Dada’s been worried because it’s been slow today. Wait till I tell him!”

“Whoa! Hold on!” Gulliand grabbed the colt by his tail before he could bolt away. “Could you do that after you seat us?”

“Oops!” Tamarind blushed. “Of course! Right this way.”

He led them to a group of tables with cushy soft seats near the wall. Spike, Gulliand, and Cinnamon Stick pushed the tables together so they formed one long board where they could all eat together. The adults, Applejack, Spike, Guinevere, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders took their places at one end. Screwball, Cinnamon Stick, Dinky, Gulliand and Cinnamon Roll sat near the middle. Gemstone, Prism, Gidget, Gigi, and the Tri-Pies claimed the other end with Applespike sitting at the very end.

“Kinda like sittin’ at the kiddie table during family reunions,” the dragon-colt muttered. “At least I don’t need a booster chair.”

Tamarind quickly passed out the menus. “What can I get you to drink?” he asked.

Guinevere asked for tea and Screwball took chocolate milk. Everyone else ordered water.

“Isn’t it a bit unprofessional,” asked Guinevere once the colt had disappeared into the kitchen. “To have a child wait the tables?”

“This is a family run business, Mother,” said Gulliand. “Tamarind has been working here since he was old enough to stand on a crate to wash dishes. Helping in the front is big deal to him.”

“Aw!” said Apple Bloom smiling. “We’ll be sure to tip him good, then.”

Only Gulliand and his sisters noticed the way their mother winced at that suggestion.

“Here you are!” cried Tamarind, returning with their drinks in his aura. He placed each one carefully before each member of the party, taking particular care not to spill Guinevere’s tea. “And here are some appetizers courtesy of the chef!” Three platters were levitated to the table. “This is called Paneer Kulcha. It is naan bread stuffed with Marwarian cottage cheese and spices!”

“Sure looks good,” said Applejack, taking a tentative bite. Cinnamon Roll watched, grinning as her mother’s face began to shine in delight. “Whoo! Spicy but it’s purty darned tasty!”

Everyone took a bite of the cheesy naan. Gulliand and Cinnamon Roll nodded in satisfaction as their friends and families exclaimed over the taste.

“This is good stuff,” said Gidget with her beak full.

Guinevere sighed in exasperation. “Gidget, do not talk with your mouth full.”

“Yeah,” said Prism grinning mischievously. “No pony likes see food.”

Gidget looked questioningly at the rainbow-colored filly. “What do mean by seafood?”

Prism opened her mouth, showing the half-masticated bread on her tongue. “See? Food!”

“Eww! Prism, really!” Gemstone shuddered.

The griffinnesses just giggled. “Oh, that was great!”

“I spoke with Professor Saffron about making something similar to this when we get to Griffonstone.” said Gulliand, holding up a piece of the stuffed bread. “I’m thinking of adding shredded chicken breast to the recipe.”

All the ponies with the exception of Cinnamon Roll shuddered. Gigi and Gidget just grinned dreamily. “Oooo! You had us at chicken.”

“Are you ready to order, now?” asked Tamarind eagerly. After one last perusal, and suggestions from Gulliand and Cinnamon Roll, the group made their choices. To Spike’s surprise, the menu also included gemstone infused dishes.

“Mama came up with those after the Dragon Lord visited Canterlot last year,” Tamarind informed him proudly. “She said we were the only restaurant whose gems didn’t taste like cardboard.”

“Ugh!” said Spike, wrinkling his snout. “I don’t think I wanna know how they made gems taste bland.”

“The dragon diplomats order meals from here all the time, sir.”

“Well, that’s good enough for me!” said the dragon handing his menu back to Tamarind. “I’ll take the Ruby Marsala.”

“Ooo! And I want the Sapphire Jalfrezi!” added Applespike. “Extra spice!”

The little colt happily wrote down their orders. The three young griffins rolled their eyes as their mother ordered the cheapest thing on the menu.

“Good thing we brought our own bits!” muttered Gigi, pulling out her purse. She and her sister ordered a Paneer Bhurji apiece. Tamarind grinned as he finished writing the last order.

“Okay, I’ll take this to Dada. Your food should be ready in just a few minutes!” With that, he turned and practically strutted all the way to the kitchen.

While they waited for their dinner, the families carried on a lively conversation. Having learned the Apples were not just farmers but business ponies who owned their own land, Guinevere was very interested in their prospects. The CMCs talked about life on the road and in the studio. Gigi and Gidget listened to them in wide-eyed wonder. Eventually, they turned their attention to Cinnamon Roll and Gulliand.

“I have to ask how did your family take it when you announced your engagement?” asked Gidget.

Cinnamon Roll glanced at her parents and blushed. “Pretty well,” she said shrugging. “They were…surprised to say the least.”

“Cinnamon’s great-grandmother, Granny Smith, liked me especially,” put in Gulliand. “She liked how I chopped vegetables. And after dinner, I was invited to spend the night.”

“Reeeeeeeeally?” said Gidget giving her brother a knowing leer. Gulliand playfully popped her beak with his napkin.

“Get your mind out of the gutter. I slept in the barn.”

“WHAT?” cried Guinevere, who had been listening in on the conversation. “Surely, you’re joking!”

“It’s no joke,” replied Gulliand, grinning. “I slept in the barn.”

“It’s true, he did,” said Spike, helping himself to another bite of stuffed naan. “We just gave him a cot and a blanket and stuck him out there.”

Guinevere’s beak dropped open in shock. The ponies all glanced knowingly at each other and tried not to snicker too loudly. Cinnamon Roll rolled her eyes and gave her fiancé a playful shove.

“Just so you know, our barn is clean with a good wooden floor and no animals,” she assured Guinevere. “Ma and Pa would have let him stay in the house but with Aunt Apple Bloom home and Zany spendin’ the night there just wasn’t enough space.”

“And I wasn’t alone out there,” added Gulliand. “Mr. Spike stayed out there with me.”

“Oh, ho!” Gidget leered again. “Dear old Dad didn’t trust you, eh?”

Spike chuckled. “Actually, it was Zany I didn’t trust. Not after what happened after the Gala last year.” He aimed a knowing look at Applespike who blushed crimson. “I even asked Twilight to put an anti-teleportation spell on the barn before she left that night.”

“You were wise to do so,” Gulliand nodded. He turned to the group. “We were awakened around two o’clock by a loud thud. It was as if something heavy had slammed into the side of the barn. We heard someone moaning in pain but they disappeared when Mr. Spike opened the door.”

Applespike grunted. “Should have dug a tunnel like I said.”

“Who is Zany?” asked Gigi. “Is he a unicorn?”

Screwball giggled. “No, sweetheart. Zany is my little brother. He has magic like mine and he’s a bit of a prankster.”

The girls regarded Screwball curiously, tilting their heads like a pair of puzzled parrots. “But how? You’re just an Earth pony…even though you have some unusual looking eyes.”

“Looks can be deceiving,” Screwy replied with an unsettling grin. “Our mom is a pony, a Pegasus. Our dad is Discord the draconequess.” The girls gasped in unison. “I take it you’ve heard of him.”

“Yes!” breathed Gigi, staring at Screwball as if she expected the mare to turn them into frogs at any moment. “The last time he went on a rampage he made the griffins sit in cages like parakeets and sing for their supper!”

Screwy nodded. “That does sound like something Dad would have done.”

“He even made Grandpa Gruff talk like a parrot and eat crackers,” added Gidget. She gave a snicker. “He still squawks like one sometimes.”

WHAAAAAT!” Gigi, Gidget, and Gulliand squawked in unison.

“Girls! Gulliand!” cried Guinevere severely. “Do you not know how to behave in public?”

“Yes, mother,” the three droned in unison.

“I got a question,” said Prism suddenly. “How come Gulliand talks with that Prench accent and the rest of you don’t?”

“I noticed that, too,” said Gemstone. “You all sound like members of the Canterlot elite.”

“That is because the LeGrands are a very high-class family,” said Guinevere, holding her head regally. “Their ancestors were the first diplomats to Equestria after the war. They were very taken with the charming culture of the Canterlot elite. So much so that they adopted their manners and mode of speech. I have tried to instruct my daughters in these ways,” she added, giving the girls a sour look. “But it appears to be a losing battle.”

“You had us practicing how to laugh like a proper aristocrat!” Gidget deadpanned. "Do you realize how embarrassing that was?" She waved a napkin before her face and tittered in an exaggerated way. “Oh, how droll! Ah-ha, ah-ha, ah-ha!”

Gemstone fell out laughing. “HA-HA-HA! You sound just like my great aunt!”

“Anyway,” Guinevere continued. “My brother-in-law Gustave broke with tradition when he decided to move to Prance and become a pastry chef. Many family members, my husband included, looked down on him for it. When he became rich and famous, they quickly changed their tune.”

“Thanks to him, I also was able to go to Prance and study to become a chef,” said Gulliand with a sigh. “I love the Prench language and customs. The ponies there are so expressive and passionate and the language sounds so beautiful. Listen to this!” He cast a mischievous glance at the Tri-Pies. “J'ai besoin d'alles aux toilettes,” he informed them sweetly.

“Whoa,” whispered Blueberry, clearly impressed.

“That is beautiful,” added Raspberry.

Oui! Oui!” agreed Cherry.

“Exactly,” Gulliand smirked.

“Is your husband still around, Miss Guinevere?” asked Apple Bloom curiously. “I mean, you’re not a widow, are you?”

“Indeed not!” The griffinness puffed out her feathers proudly. “My husband is very much alive and well. He has served as an ambassador to Yakyakistan for many years. He was instrumental in preventing the famous Bull Pass Territorial dispute from becoming an all-out war!”

“Wow!” Apple Bloom murmured. Gulliand and his sisters, having heard the story all their life, quietly rolled their eyes. Guinevere continued.

“Just recently he was made a senior ambassador to the Changeling Lands! He is one of the few diplomats allowed tp converse directly with Queen Bellatrix. It is a great honor.”

Screwball nodded. “It sure is! Trixie can sense false emotions and it makes her really leery. Your husband must be very honest to gain her trust like that.”

Guinevere blushed and looked away uncomfortably. Any further talk was interrupted by the arrival of Tamarind bearing two enormous trays in his aura.

“Here you are!” he called cheerfully. “Bon appe…WHOA!” The overloaded trays tipped dangerously. A quick flash of magic from Screwball froze everything in place..

“I like chaos as much as the next draconequess,” she chuckled. “But not at the cost of losing my lunch!”

“Thank you, adar madame,” Tamarind bowed then quickly set out the dishes before the creatures. He was very efficient and was able to match the orders to the correct customer without having to ask. The group dug into their food with relish. Spike and Applespike crunched away at their gem encrusted meals, rolling up their eyes in absolute bliss. Gidget and Gigi sighed in delight as they tasted their Paneer. “Mmmm! This is so good!”

“It really is,” agreed Dinky who had ordered a savory stew with rice. “I’m really glad you guys brought us here.”

“Even though there were no muffins on the menu?” Cinnamon Stick teased.

Dinky sniffed. “Pony shall not live by muffins alone,” she replied primly.

“Never thought I’d hear you say that,” said Cinnamon Stick, giving his wife a nuzzle. “But you are right. This food is delicious!”

“MmmHmm!”

Tamarind smiled at the compliments. “I’m glad you like it. Dada tends to get nervous when Mom isn’t here to help him. I’ll let him know he did a good job.”

“He is such a sweet colt,” said Applejack as Tamarind trotted to the kitchen. “Reminds me of how I used to be when I was little.” She turned to Cinnamon Roll. “Does his Pa work here, too?” she asked.

Cinnamon Roll shook her head. “His Pa works at the First Bank of Equestria as an investment banker. We’ve met him. He’s a really nice fella. Loves Saffron and Tamarind to death but he can’t cook to save his life so he sticks to banking.”

“Kinda like your Pa and apple buckin’,” said Applejack, giving her husband a mischievous look. “He couldn’t buck a tree to save his life.”

“Hey, I solved that problem when I started using my tail instead of my legs,” Spike shot back, giving Applejack a playful nudge. “It’s not like that time you tried to help Rarity harvest gems…”

“The ceiling was weak from all the rain we had gotten! It had nothin’ to do with that great big, giant blue gem I yanked outta the wall,” Applejack huffed, popping him with her napkin.

The argument ended with the dragon and pony playfully swatting each other before dissolving into laughter. Gigi and Gidget watched them curiously.

“Are they always like that?” Gigi whispered to Cinnamon Roll.

“Yeah,” the brown filly chuckled. “They tease each other like that all the time. They’re just playin’. They don’t mean anything by it.”

The girls looked at the jolly couple then at their mother who appeared to have sunk into herself intently eating her food. Gigi sighed.

“It must be nice.”

“Are you still planning on leaving tomorrow, darling?” asked Gemstone, looking at Cinnamon Roll. “We brought a few graduation gifts that we thought you might need in Griffonstone.”

“Oh! Thank you! Yes, we are planning to leave on the dirigible first thing in the morning. We have everything packed and ready to go.”

“You’re really sure about this?” asked Prism earnestly. “It’s just that, well, Mom is…” She glanced anxiously at Gigi and Gidget before leaning in to whisper. “Mom is really, really worried about you and what might happen in Griffonstone. Are you sure you’re making the right choice?”

Cinnamon Roll laid a comforting hoof on Prism’s arm. “I’ve never been so sure of somethin’ in my life,” she said firmly. “I love Gulliand and I trust him. I know he would never break my heart.”

Gulliand lovingly slid his arm across her brown shoulders and gently pulled her to his chest.

“Never.”

Author's Note:

This was a fun chapter to write. The bit where Gulliand speaks French to the Tri-Pies was inspired by the Jerry Lewis movie "Cracking Up". You figure it out.:twilightsmile: