• Published 18th Oct 2018
  • 2,069 Views, 36 Comments

Nightmare Night Town - Foal Star



On Princess Luna's first Nightmares Night she wanted it to last longer. But when she casted her spell it instead grew out of control and transformed Ponyville into a Town for Nightmare Night.

  • ...
4
 36
 2,069

chapter one: The Witch's Brew

It was near midnight when Princess Luna finished playing as Nightmare Moon for Ponyville’s foals. She came down onto a park bench and layed down with sweat pouring down her face exhausted after scaring the foals for most of the night. Pinkie Pie was still wearing her emberassing chicken costume and was skipping along as she escorted the group of tired foals back to their homes. Pip stumbled along but when he looked up and saw princess Luna laying down on a bench. The little colt ran over to her with excitment printed on his face, He jumped on her and chirped, ”hey Princess Luna! I just wanted to say thanks again for scaring us that was a lot of fun!”

The princess bent down and nuzzled the little colt. “That’s right little one. I am happy that I could keep you happy.”

Pip giggled and exclaimed, “hey, next year you should pick out a new costume maybe a vampire that would be cool!”

Luna shrugged and cooed, “I’ll think about it but you should be heading off to sleep. I shall keep you safe from the nightmares that may follow this night.”

Pip squeaked “yes Luna I’ll go straight to bed!” He scampered off as Luna cooed, ”what a sweet colt, I shall keep thy promise and watch him this night.”

Twilight then came over and sat near Luna with her bells jingling. She gave an exhausted sigh as she straightened out her Starswirl the bearded costume and yawned, “well I think it’s about time everypony hit the sack.”

Luna sighed and gave a nod she was a bit sad that Nightmares Night was already over. She had a lot of fun despite being terrifying for half the night. The princess of the night just sighed, “Yeah well, thank you for helping me this night in understanding who I am.” The princess bent over and hugged Twilight and nuzzled her. “Thank you for being my friend.” The young unicorn blushed and simply nodded, ”yeah it’s no problem, please if you need somepony to talk to I’m here okay?”

Luna waved her mane from her face and cooed, “I shall take you up on that offer. But I must take my leave.” The princess of the night flapped her large wings and flew into the night. As she flew higher and higher above Ponyville, she looked down at the rest of the ponies still out and about enjoying the festivities of Nightmare Night. Princess Luna took in a deep breath then exclaimed in her royal Canterlot voice, “This is the end of Nightmare Night! I had my fill of foals sweets and shall take my leave! But be warned! I shall return next year, and I better be satisfied, or I shall eat you all!”

Many ponies cheered knowing it was an act. But some were still shaking with fear unsure if what Luna was actually saying was the truth.

Luna then flew through the night sky as she whispered under her breath. “I wonder if there's a way to continue Nightmare Night?” Princess Luna thought for a little and wondered if there was a way to make the night last longer just for a little bit. Then a thought hit her, and her head rose with a smile she then instead of flying towards Canterlot she took a U-turn and veered towards the Everfree Forest.


The princess flew for a while through the dense trees of the Everfree Forest and with only the moon’s light shining down being the only light she had. The mare landed near an old graveyard she looked upon the rusty broken down the fence which surrounded a field of dusty tombs, and the old cracked gravestones dotting the place. It was ancient and an eerie sense that something was wrong here. Luna slowly walked towards the center of the graveyard seeing a slight mist covered the ground making it feel as if she was walking on a cloud. She continued towards the center shaking a little with the hairs on her mane sticking up even after a thousand years the princess of the night was scared of this cemetery. Luna then came upon an old well with the stones cracked and covered in green mold. She looked down into the abyss of black water and whispered, “this is the great pool of fear, this is where I learned to combat nightmares when I was a foal.”

Luna peered down into the depths of the black water and saw nothing but the moon's reflection and stood there for a good few minutes gaining herself. She then took a deep breath and whispered into the pool. “You don’t scare me anymore! I am your master and heed my words. I wish for you to transform myself into a creature of darkness to bring fear into the hearts of ponies!”

She lit her horn and peered into the well once more and saw her face contort, and grew smaller her ears perked up and with her fur growing out and became fluffy. Her irises turned from a dark blue to a dark red color. As the transformation finished she rubbed a hoof across her face knowing the look of a bat pony if she ever saw one. The princess stepped back groaning as her wings lost all their feathers and slowly grew out as two leathery bat wings protruding from her sides. Luna laughed an evil laugh and leaped into the air flapping her big leathery wings and shouted, ”yes, I am Luna! The vampire bat pony! Nightmare Night shall continue!"

But the well continued to bubble and brew with a glowing mist frothing from the depths. Luna gaped in horror at the terrifying mist and shouted, ”wait! This isn’t what I wanted!”

She held horn with it lighting up and using her power to create a wall of magic trying to force the fog back into the well. But the mist just seeped under Luna’s magical barrier started to come forth and went straight for Ponyville.


Twilight slowly woke the next morning and the first thing she noticed was that out of her window it was still night. The unicorn slowly got out of bed and groaned feeling her body ache and her bones cracked. It felt as if her whole body was in pain and felt fragile as if she was about to collapse under her own weight. The mare rubbed her head and grumbled, ”What did I drink last night?”

The mare gaped hearing an odd old mare’s voice like a cragily old grandmother. She hobbled to a cracked mirror and saw her face. It was that of a old mare with her fur now a dark grey full of wrinkled with a scraggly long white mane and tail, she had a considerable hunchback, and her nose was big and fat with a big nasty wart on the side of the fleshy mass. Twilight turned away in disgust and looked around to see that the basket where Spike slept. Instead of a young dragon she saw a black cat curled up inside which made her shout angrily, ”Spike! Get up!”

Spike jumped up and MEOWED! Flying into the air and plopping back into the basket. He tumbled out showing his big green eyes and shouted, “what the hay Twi-”

He looked up horrified at Twilight looking like some old hag and asked, “what happened to you?”

Twilight shrugged and snapped back “I have no idea, I just woke up like this!” She blushed hearing herself shouting like an old lady. She watched as Spike got up stretching his body out, and yawned, “Alright, alright don’t need to be so angry.”

He blinked feeling his body was somehow shorter than usual. He looked around at his long black tail coming out of his backend. “Uh...wh..” he then looked down at his small paws and shouted, ”wait I’m a cat!”

He leaped into the air again, but this time he landed back down on his feet. Twilight agitated just snapped at her assistant, ”Spike your a cat just deal with it! We need to figure out what happened?! Did you have something to do with this!”

Spike was still stunned as he looked himself over in the cracked mirror. “Of course not!? I don’t know what’s going on here?” He then gave another meow and then instinctively began licking his body over.

Twilight rolled her eyes and grumbled, “this isn’t time for a cat bath.”

But the mare just looked around the room seeing that everything had changed. The floors and walls were now made of some black rotting wood, and her bookcases were now filled with cobwebs, jack o lanterns and bats roosting in some. Twilight scratched her head and grumbled, “Huh? Is this some sort of weird dream maybe?” She hobbled through her bedroom door and pushed it open with a loud annoying creak. Twilight looked down at her library seeing the same fixtures like how it was in her bedroom, creaky old bookcases full of webs and bats. She hobbled down the stairs and went about looking at her books which now had spiders printed on the spines, or creepy blood shot eyes. They were dusty and smelt of mold, but it was an object in the middle of the room which concerned Twilight’s interest. She walked over to a huge bubbling cauldron that frothed a strange mist from within pouring over itself and covering the ground in the fog. She gave a crackle and whispered, ”looks like I was brewing something.”

Spike jumped on top of the cauldron seemingley out of nowhere freaking Twilight out as she stumbled back. Spike didnt notice and sat at the edge of the vat looking down and scoffed, ”yeah it looks like something Sweetie Belle would make.”

Twilight crackled a little and peered down into the brew. It was a dark green slimy liquid full of disgusting things like bat wings, hoof clippings, she even spotted a dead newt floating around. Horrified Twilight stepped back and crackled, “what is this? Why would I make such a disgusting potion!”

Spike jumped onto the ground and replied, “maybe you're right this has to be some crazy dream.”

Twilight gulped and whispered, ”I hope I’m right.” She then turned to see an open spell book on a pedestal made of bone near the cauldron. She slowly came forward and read the spell. “Frog goop curse? Anypony who drinks this potion shall turn into a frog for an hour. To increase effects add more newt.” Twilight scratched her head and scoffed, “why in the hay would I make such a stupid potion.”

Spike was now rubbing his body over Twilight and asked, “did you think of turning Pinkie Pie into a frog?”

Twilight gave a long witch's cackle making Spike jump back with his black fur pointed up as he hissed at the witch. The mare stopped and blushed as she apologized “sorry, my laugh is kind of creepy.”

Spike still on edge growled, ”creepy? More like scary beyond anything I’ve ever heard. Please don’t do that again.”

Twilight spat back. "Oh hush whiskers I can laugh whenever I want." She turned around to see a black cloak on an old creepy coat hanger with a old witch's pointed hat hanging above. She slowly trotted over and began to dress herself in the black cloak she then fitted black pointed hat squarely over on her head. Spike came by and chuckled seeing Twilight dressed up amd commented, “you're a genuine witch now Twilight. Now all you need is a broom."

She scoffed, “watch it Spike or I might turn you into a broom.” Spike squeaked at the notion not fully sure if Twilight was just joking. But the mare just preceded with going out the door and came upon seeing what happened to the rest of Ponyville and that was when her mouth dropped. Ponyville was covered in a thick mist, and that it was still night, the houses now looked like run down mansions with boarded-up windows and falling apart. The street lamps were replaced with large jack o lanterns that lit up the cobblestone streets in an eerie orange glow. The statue of Celestia was now a statue of Nightmare Moon with her wings spread apart and looking down upon Ponyville with an evil grin. Twilight slowly turned around to look upon her own library and saw that it was now a giant black spooky tree with cragliy branches and two evil-looking eyes for her windows, and the front door was fixed to look like a twisted smile. The mare looked up with fear printed on her face and just whispered, “h..ho..how did this happen?”