• Published 17th Oct 2018
  • 2,237 Views, 69 Comments

Today We Summon Unity! - Chemtest



Stick Wars. Because there’s a market for everything.

  • ...
5
 69
 2,237

Breathe

I take a deep breath, and absorb the smell of books surrounding me. I turn the page, and read on.

’The last huge battle seen in Equestrian history is the Battle of Hollow Shades. The Lunar Republic held a desperate last stand as Nightmare Moon confronted Princess Celestia. Over ten thousand ponies died, fifteen thousand captured, and thirteen thousand... never recovered. As the ten thousand of Solar Army Center marched into Hollow Shades, they were ambushed from all sides by Five thousand of Lunar Army Back. After ruthless fighting, Captain Sunshine pulled a brilliant move and forced the ambushing forces back with only two thousand dead on both sides.

Solar Army Center then marched into town proper, and met up with the force of one hundred thousand in Army South. Together, they faced the fifty thousand of Lunar Army Main. The battle raged for hours. Ponies dropped like flies on both sides. But the battle was cut short. Seen below is an interview from a Solar Lieutenant.

“That battle was Order in perfection. Me and my brothers moved as one, at the beginning. Then, it all broke down as we started striking down Lunar Soldiers at will. I rember, I killed fifty and captured ten. I was stabbing and slashing through the enemy, blocking all hits coming towards me. Then, it all stopped. From far away came a deafening boom, one that rattled us all to the core. When we recovered, we looked up, at the moon. And laying within it was a mare’s visage, looking down upon our battle in defeat. I remember watching an enemy combatant look up. When he saw that, he collapsed, lost all will. Then, he looked at the endless pit in the middle of the town. And... he flung himself off. Others followed him, all just jumping off into that hole, or they laid there doing nothing. They’d lost all will. And that... that was terrifying. I am a soldier, I have killed hundred and not batted a eye, it’s war. But this terrified me. All other times, it was war and I was a victor. This time, it wasn’t a war, it wasn’t a battle, it was a mass suicide. To know somepony would rather die than face the fact that their hope was gone. It’s a horror that should’ve never happend.”

It was this battle that our calendar is built off of. This battle ushered in year One, Solar Rule. And it is now rumored that Nightmare Moon shall return on the thousand year anniversary.

This is Filled Page— 43 SR.’

I close the book, and move onto the next one. ‘0-100 Discord’s Rule: a century’s guide’.

I open the book, and hear the door open. A young boy’s voice speaks, “Oh, hey, you’re one of the spear guys.”

I don’t even look up, “Spearton.”

The pitter patter of fest walks across the floor, “Why are you in here? The party is for you.”

I start my reading, “The people don’t seem to like me responding to threats. Either way, I enjoy reading more than pointless celebrations. I haven’t done enough to have a celebration in my name.”

I hear the slight scrape of metal, “What is your name anyway?”

I turn the page, “Atreyos.”

I hear some slashes through the air, “I’m Spike, the dragon.”

I look up to see if I was in fact conversing with a dragon. What I see is a hatchling holding up my sword. I’m about to shout at him, but I wait a second. I watch how the dragon handles the blade, and find myself impressed, “You handle my weapon quite well.”

He looks over at me, “This is yours?” He then slowly places it on the table, “I thought it was just some weird decoration.”

I stand up, “No, no, pick it back up.”

He slowly picks it up, “Okay then.”

I nod, “Hmm, you hold it well. Go ahead and swing it.”

He takes the blade, and starts to dice up the air.

I nod again, “I must admit, you’re quite good with it. You ever hold a blade before?”

He looks up, “A real one? That would be a no.”

I pick up my spear from where it rested beside me, “Here, use this instead.”

He takes my spear, and I take my sword. With a flourish, I put it back onto my waist, and I hold up my shield, “Okay, now, attack me.”

He looks between me and the spear, “Uhh, you sure about that?”

I nod, “Go ahead, attack me. Pretend I’ve done something bad, and attack me.”

He stabs the spear forward, and I easily sidestep it. But, he does something interesting. He swings it at me still, not allowing my sidestep to matter. I bash it out of the way, and block it when he goes for another one.

He never loses his hold on it, and is swift with his attacks. Now, he never hits, he’s not a trained warrior like I. But still, he has potential, “Okay, stop.”

He holds the spear back, “Okay, what was that all about?”

I look him dead in the eye, “Listen close, and listen good, for this might be the most important question of your life. You wield that spear and sword good, you’re a natural. So, I’m willing to grant you the highest honor in the world, even if you are another race. Do you want to become a Spearton?”

The dragon looks at his spear, than back to me. He shrugs, “Sure.”

I smile, “Then we start now, student. Grab my spear, grab my shield, I’m going to teach you basic maneuvers.”

He follows after me as I walk outside the library, “You’re going to teach me to fight?”

I nod, “The Speartons are the greatest warriors in Inamorta. You will learn to become one of us.”

He smiles, “Sweet! Alright what first?”

I remember my own training, “You learn the basic form. Stabbing with the shield up. Begin.”