• Published 17th Oct 2018
  • 5,276 Views, 224 Comments

Chasing Shadows - zerofireking13



Spike decided to pack his things and disappear completely to get a fresh start on life, under the name of Jack Drake. When his past comes back to haunt him, will he be able to keep up the facade? (Special Thanks to The Faceless Maker for editing!)

  • ...
18
 224
 5,276

Case File 5.1

Sleep is a weird thing for me now, it's just darkness and then I'm awake. I don't know why I don't dream anymore, maybe it has something to do with Luna wanting to respect my wishes to become my own person or maybe she's protecting me from the girls trying to reach out to me in the dreamscape. I want to get to the bottom of a lot of things, but most of all why in the hell did the girls come knocking on my door of all people, or more specifically why are they looking for me? I think I made it pretty fucking clear that I didn't want to be found. I woke up and cracked my neck to see that Quick was all in for cuddling me, I just held my breath and increased my internal body temperature until it was uncomfortable for her and she let go. She woke up soon after and looked at me, "We will not discuss a word of this."

I rolled my eyes and tossed her a notebook, a pencil, and a copy of the file Twilight gave me, "These were some of the last places Spike visited before he disappeared. Go around, and ask questions. Shouldn't be that hard, if someone won't tell you anything or tells you to get off their property, do it. I don't need to bail you out of jail."

"What are you going to do?" Quick asked.

"Shake some trees, see if I can get a few apples to fall." That's a lie and you know it, you're going to see your mother.

"What's the difference between what I'm doing, and what you're doing?" Quick asked.

"Because I'm going to the palace, you're walking around town." I said.

"Do you really have connections to get you inside the palace?" Quick asked.

"Yes, now I'm going to go get dressed and head there." I said while changing into some clean clothes, and tossing her some bits. "Here's some money for the bus, there should be a map at the front desk."

"You're telling me to take the bus? Why not just drop me off?" Quick asked again.

"Because you're asking too many questions this morning and I haven't even had my coffee." I rubbed my eyes.

"Dick." Quick muttered.

"I heard that, now say anything else and I won't get coffee for you either." I said as I shrugged on my classic PI's trench coat.

"Must you wear that horrid thing everywhere you go?" Quick asked.

"I like keeping anything I might need on me at all times." I said while walking out the door and opening the trunk of the car, pulling out my revolver. "Anything."

Quick watched from the doorway and gulped, "Are you sure you need that?"

"We're looking into someone who doesn't want to be found, they're gonna put up a fight." I said. Yeah right, the only fight they're gonna put up is the one about whether you want a donut or not.

"Only if you're sure." Quick said.

"You know I only use rubber bullets." I pointed out while closing the trunk.

"Those can still kill if you're not careful. I don't want you getting hurt." Quick said.

"I'm a drakeblood sweetheart, I'm literally bulletproof. Remember?" I told her while opening the driver's door.

"That still doesn't stop me from worrying!" Quick shouted as I started the engine.

"I'll be back later tonight." I shouted at her, you're gonna tell me your leads if you get any and remember to pack our stuff, we're not staying two nights here." I shifted the car into first gear and took off onto the streets of Canterlot. I sighed to myself and shifted into second gear, I already knew where I was headed. I'd gone there a thousand times before, during...better days.


"So are you ready Spike?" Twilight asked me.

I smiled at her and nodded my head, "I can't wait to give mom her mother's day present!" I kicked my feet while sitting in the passenger seat, a rarity at my current age.

Twilight smiled, "Well you put a lot of thought and hard work into it, I'm sure she'll appreciated it. Oh, looks like we're here! I'll pick you up at 8, okay?"

"Okay." I said as Twilight brought the car she drove to park to let me out. "Bye Twi!"


I shook my head and tore myself out of the flashback, I occasionally wish I could go back to those simpler times. Most of the reason why Twilight took care of me when I was younger was because Celestia couldn't. She wasn't about to let the castle staff take care of me either, look how well Blueblood turned out. She left me in the care of Twilight because she felt that raising me had to have a certain mother's touch, ah well. Look how that turned out, I took off and turned Twilight into a sobbing mess. That's the past now, I need to focus on the future, or more importantly. This case, I pulled up to the guard shack around the back of the Palace, the one only certain personnel, like myself, and the other members of the Royal Family know about.

A guard approached my car with a gun drawn and the other guard was pointing a gun with a laser sight targeted right at my heart. The guard got to the open window and looked at me, "Who are you and how do you know about this area?"

"Cinnamon Swirl." I said and the guard immediately stood down and told the others to as well.

"Apologies your highness, we didn't recognize you." The guard saluted.

"That's the point, I'll give you credit though. You didn't shoot first and ask questions later, unlike some law enforcement and military personnel I know." I nodded and pulled my car up after the gate arm had been lifted. I parked the car in a specific spot and looked at a white sports car and a navy blue supercar. I smirked and locked my car, "Never change ladies, never change." I then proceeded to an elevator and call it, the doors opened and I pressed a button leading to the main housing of the Royal Family.

I stepped out and saw a sight that was usual for the family, however it was a terrible one. Blueblood harassing another maid, "How many times must I tell you that the water for my baths must be tepid and not lukewarm!"

The maid cowered in fear as Blueblood had backed her into a corner. I took a digital camera out of one of my many pockets, turned the flash off and took a picture. I then walked over to Blueblood, grabbed his shoulder, forced him to turn to face me and uppercut his jaw. I hit him so hard the man came out of his what I presume to be, 10,000 bit shoes. I looked to the maid, "What's your name sweetheart?"

"I-I-It's Cotton." She shivered.

"Go tell the guards that Blueblood was being a pompous asshole again and that some time away from his money might do him some good." I said as I continued to Celestia's room, I took out a keyring and unlocked the door. I walked in after closing the door behind me, looking at the expensive and old liquor that she had always placed out for herself and her sister. I took notice of a scroll on her desk, I poured myself a bourbon and sat at her desk. I looked at the ribbon of the scroll and it was the same type that Twilight had always used, trust me after spending enough time in the unpaid employ of a secretly greedy fashionista and a studious woman you know what type of fucking ribbon is which.

I deeply inhaled through my nose and let the breath out through my mouth, I then opened up the scroll and immediately recognized the handwriting of my former guardian, Twilight Sparkle.

Dear Princess Celestia,

It is with great regret that I must bring you this news, as though I can't believe it myself but my faithful and number one assistant Spike has gone missing. I first thought that this was just a clever ruse but I have been mistaken, Spike has disappeared without a trace and the Ponyville Police while very competent in their jobs of enforcing the law. Failed to find Spike himself, after two days of searching Spike was declared legally dead and it was decided to hold a funeral in his honor, this is your formal invitation to this upcoming funeral. Upon recent reflection, I have shown much regret that most of the time I spent with him I treated him as just an assistant instead of what he was. He was my best friend and my first friend. I hatched him, I brought him to life and you helped raise him and then handed the responsibility over to me, a task in which I had oh so desperately failed. It's not only I but the rest of my friends regret not including him on more of our adventures, I now think of the lack of care I had treated Spike with after we had moved to Ponyville had contributed to his disappearance. We have here a list of things that we regret and we will use to learn from this, we only hope that this list and our learning from our mistakes can give you solace in the fact that your son is missing and presumed dead.

I, Jacqueline Jonagold Apple regret that when Spike had personally felt indebted to me that I had given him meaningless tasks to keep him from annoying me when I should have been honest with him. I personally hate when someone gives me or my family the runaround and I should've never done the same to a friend, I also regret using him as a unwilling participant in the Iron Woman competition between Dash and I, I would never wish to inflict harm upon anyone but to throw your friend or even someone who's a friend of your friend is an act that would land most in prison or worse. I can't show how sorry I am princess but I hope this helps, I sincerely hope you can forgive me.

I, Pinkamena Diane Pie regret that I never had invited Spike to almost any of my parties. Everyone deserves to take a break and have fun, but when excluded it can be very hurtful to see your friends have fun without you is something I dislike very much. Admittedly I can be, very emotionally fragile at times and very easily distracted. I've been working on this for quite some time with a personal therapist but I had outright ignored someone with the exception of their birthday and it made me feel disgusted with my own actions in hindsight. I'm sorry for your loss.

I, Fluttershy Pieridae regret I had treated Spike like he was an animal...I myself feel that I connect more with animals than other people and when Spike first arrived I felt more of a connection with him than other people I had met, and through the course of time, I began to ignore him and let him fall to the wayside. I feel that in many ways that made him feel that he wasn't valued in my eyes once I saw him as a person. It was not a kind thing to do, and it's something I deeply regret. There is no amount of apologies in the world that I can give that will ever make this right, you lost your son and we were the major cause of it. Please forgive us.

I, Rainbow Asperitas Dash regret not treating Spike as a friend, loyalty is something I hold very dearly to my heart and when it came to Spike it was always gray area for me, but now I know that I should've treated him more as a friend, my actions are very regrettable as I was very much a bully to the young Drakeblood, I called him names and pranked him mercilessly. There was one point where I questioned that if he even was a dragon, that was my most shameful interaction with him. Not only did I use a racial slur but I also questioned his heritage I questioned his blood. The thing I hold next to my loyalty is my pride as a Valkyrie, and I had taken his pride as a Drakeblood and dragged it through the mud. It's not the proudest moment of my life, and I wouldn't blame you if you vetoed my application to the Wonderbolts Training Academy, I would give every drop of my blood if it meant that I could apologize to him. Yet, the best I can come up with is apologizing to you. I'm sorry for what I did, I can only beg dearly for your forgiveness.

I, Rarity Belle am probably the one who regrets my actions the most out of all of our friends. I had known the feelings of our beloved Drakeblood for quite some time and had chosen to simply ignore it, thinking nothing but a tiny crush at the time. That was my mistake however, because time after time and day after day that lovestruck boy came into my shop and assisted me to the best of his abilities, I had used his love for me as a tool to advance my own career. He was showing me true love in putting his interests, his livelihood, and his health before my very own. I used him and in one case, I abused him after using him as a living pincushion. While he said he didn't feel a thing I felt differently, and while it is a very common occurrence that I became hyper focused on one thing only. That doesn't excuse inducing pain upon another person, there is an entire list of thing I've done to Spike that I regret but the most prevalent one that comes to mind is when I took a birthday present from him and hung it around my neck as if it were a trophy I had found myself. When I first saw his fire ruby I should've congratulated him for receiving such a lovely gift for his birthday, yet instead I manipulated and schemed to get it into my possession. After we lost Spike, I did a lot of reflecting and upon doing so I see that I was not a lady at all I was a manipulative bitch who just wanted someone to wait upon me hand and foot and never talk back to me. I had that in Spike, but I threw his feelings away as if it were unwanted scraps of cloth. No one should have to bear the pains that Spike went through when dealing with me, if he came back I would show him the love and kindness that he showed to me tenfold. Because I was so focused on finding my ideal prince charming, I missed the one standing right before my very face. I beg for your forgiveness, and I beg for Spike's forgiveness as well, wherever he may be.

There you have it, the things we have learned from Spike's disappearance. The things I regret, are plainly stated in the paragraph above the others, I just wish he would come back, so we could apologize. We miss him so much.

With humble apologies, Twilight Sparkle.

"Enjoying yourself there?" A voice spoke up from behind me, and I slowly swiveled the chair I was sitting in to reveal the Princess of the Sun, the Solar Diarch, and most of all, my mother. Princess Celestia.

"Hello Mother."

Author's Note:

Celestia has a white Corvette ZR1 and Luna owns a navy blue Bugatti Veyron Super Sport. There's also a very very subtle skyrim reference in there, if you can find it I'll pm you a peek into the next chapter.