• Published 17th Oct 2018
  • 5,276 Views, 224 Comments

Chasing Shadows - zerofireking13



Spike decided to pack his things and disappear completely to get a fresh start on life, under the name of Jack Drake. When his past comes back to haunt him, will he be able to keep up the facade? (Special Thanks to The Faceless Maker for editing!)

  • ...
18
 224
 5,276

Case File 7.3

Several hours had passed and Ember had already requested for me to get my things back, and I stood there with everything on. Ember stared at me, with my whole private investigators outfit on. She stared as I adjusted my coat, I looked back at her. "See something you like?" I asked her. She didn't respond so I snapped my fingers in front of her face and she shook her head.

"Sorry, I was busy." Ember said.

"Busy doing what exactly?" I asked her, Ember mumbled, "I'm sorry what was that?"

"I said, you're so damn sexy right now." Ember admitted.

I took a deep breath and let out a huge sigh, "Ember like I said earlier-"

"I know, trust me. I know." She interrupted me, "Every fiber of my being is telling me to pin you to the ground, tear off those clothes and make you my mate. I'm fighting against it because I know you would disapprove." She stepped closer and caressed my cheek, "I missed you so much."

I touched the hand on my cheek and looked into her eyes. "Everything is confusing, and I don't know what's true and what's false." I told her, "I will make this right, just not today. I promise you."

Ember said nothing as she just leaned up and kissed me, and I didn't even resist as she did. I may have kissed her back a little, she broke the kiss. "We'll figure this out, just...don't disappear on me again."

"You still got that penthouse in Manehattan?" I asked.

"Is that where you live now?" Ember asked.

"Maybe." I replied with a smirk.

"Quit being sly." Ember hit me on the arm.

"Fine, fine." I took out my notebook and wrote something down on it I then tore out the page, "Here's my cell phone number, call me sometime. Not all the time however, gotta have some boundaries." I told her while handing it over.

"Okay..." Ember said.

I put my ring back on and my features changed back into Jack, I looked in the mirror and adjusted myself. "How do I look?" I asked Ember.

"Like a total stranger." Ember replied.

"Good, that's the way it should be." I said.

"There's one thing missing however." Ember said, "Stay right here." She walked off. I stood still, what else was I going to do? Run and get shot by a bunch of armed thugs? No thanks. She soon returned with a cylindrical box, "This used to be my father's, I think he would've liked it if you had it."

"What is it?" I asked as she handed it to me.

"Open it and find out jackass." Ember crossed her arms over her chest.

I shrugged and did as The Dragon Lord commanded, setting it on the couch and taking off the lid. "Whoa," I looked back at Ember, "Ember are you sure about this?"

"Positive, you may not be a wise guy. But, you've earned it." She smirked.

I reached into the box and pulled out a classic trilby, it was a chester brown with a white sash above the brim. I put it on and Ember helped adjust it, "Do I look the part now?"

"You look better." Ember complimented before turning me around and giving me a playful smack on the ass, "Go on, get out of here."

"Yes ma'am." I said as I started my stroll out of the mansion, "Don't forget to call."

"Don't forget to answer." Ember said.

"I'll try not to," I replied as I left.


Ember's associates took me back back to he motel along the way I called Quick making sure she didn't shoot me while I tried to get back into the motel. I was dropped off soon after calling Quick and opened the door to the room, I noticed quick sitting there with my backup gun in her hands and mascara running down her cheeks.

She dropped the gun and ran into me, nearly tackling me as she wrapped her arms around me hugging me, "Don't ever do that again. Please don't leave me again, I don't care if you have to take me with you to do something dangerous, just don't go."

I hugged her back, apologizing. "I'm sorry kid, I promise I won't abandon you again."

"Th-Thanks." She stammered out, "I'm gonna go take a shower."

"I think that's for the best." I said as she gathered her clothes and went into the bathroom, closing the door. The rushing of water from the pipes in the walls indicated that she was indeed in the shower, I went down and picked up my spare gun. Ejecting the magazine and popping the one in the chamber, after putting the bullet back in the magazine. I went back out to my car to put the gun back where it was originally from. I opened the passenger seat and stored it back into the holster tapped to the bottom of said seat, and doing the same with the spare magazine. When I came back up I was met with the visage of one Pinkamena Diane Pie, in her grasp was a bag of groceries. I looked up at her, "Pinkie Pie? What are you doing out here?" I asked.

"Um...my pinkie sense told me that there was someone in the area that was really sad. With me being the element of laughter I always feel compelled to cheer people up, I was going to knock on the door but...my gut told me not to." She answered.

"You were right to trust your gut, things would've gotten very messy if you didn't." I told her as I closed the door to my car and turned back to my motel room, only to be stopped by a question.

"Y-You aren't looking for Spike are you?" Pinkie asked and that did stop my in my tracks.

I replied to her question with another question, "What would it change if I did?"

That seemed to put a pause in her pink head, "I-I don't really know."

"Yeah, I don't either." I said, I then nodded at her. "What's in the bag?"

"Oh! Just some baking things we were running low on at Sugar Cube Corner." Pinkie told me.

"I think you'd better get to delivering those goods then," I suggested.

"In a minute, I've got one more question." She then hesitated and finally got , "Are you...Spike?"

"I don't know what it is about the content of my character that makes you girls think that I'm the person you hired me to find. But I'm not Spike, my name is Jack. I mean just look at me." I gestured to myself, "What part of my physical features even suggests to any of you girls that I'm the person your friend hired me to find!" I shouted, realizing what I did. "I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. You're not the first person to think that I am, I can assure you that I'm not."

"Thank you, and I'm sorry." A visibly shaken Pinkie said.

I sighed, "You know, I've got some time. How about I help you?"

Pinkie stared, "I...would appreciate that."

The walk with Pinkie was brisk, she took slight glances at me. I saw her peaks out of the corner of my eye, "I-I don't get angry a lot, I've just been under a lot of pressure." I told her.

Pinkie took a deep breath, "I understand how it feels to...snap, I suffer from something called Histrionic Personality Disorder."

"What's that?" I asked, "I don't mean to be insensitive."

"In layman's terms, I have an intolerance for negative emotions." Pinkie explained, "It's also why I'm hyperactive and impulsive. It's just one of the things I've been diagnosed with since visiting my therapist."

"Wow." I knew she was visiting a therapist, but I never knew that this was the extent of it.

"When Spike left, it revealed a lot of things about myself that I didn't like." Pinkie hugged her groceries a bit tighter, "My therapist says that my parties are a part of my HPD. She said that as much as I like to make others smile, I also like to be the center of attention and that's why I throw them even if it's 'a been two weeks since we last had a party' party."

"I...don't know what to say." I replied.

"After talking about it a bit, it was revealed that this might have originated from the fact that when I was a child I grew up on a rock farm. The day-in, day-out workload at such a young age is bound to have more drawbacks than benefits. It made me take a step back and look at my friends and family from a stranger's perspective, and what I saw I didn't like." Pinkie said.

"Why reveal this to me? I'm just a complete stranger." I asked her.

"Twilight seems to trust you with finding Spike or some kind of closure, and she's one of my best friends." Pinkie said.

"I...honestly don't know what to say. Thank you, I guess?" I was just really confused.

"You're welcome." Pinkie said as we got to Sugarcube Corner, "Would you like to come in?" She offered.

I racked the contents of my brain to find a reason to say no, and I couldn't come up with anything, "I can stay for a few minutes."

Those few minutes stretched into an hour as I sat in the bakery testing new concoctions from the chaos that is the brain of Pinkamena Diane Pie. This is one of the few things I missed, my dragon biology would allow me to eat almost anything I could put into my mouth. I was immune to most equis poisons but not dragon poisons, and they had distinct flavors too. Here I am reminiscing about a life I thought I had put behind me. I sigh as look out the window, seeing all the memories pass by like spectres lost to the grip of time. The ringing of the shop bell above the door tore me out of my stupor. Looking over at the source of the noise surprisingly I saw Twilight standing in the bakery.

Pinkie also was staring at the princess of friendship whom seemed like she was in a daze. "Twi?" Pinkie asked her close friend, "Are you okay?"

"I....I don't know." Twilight said, then she started to laugh, which was concerning for me because I used to live with her, and that generally means hysterics. I got up to walk over, but Pinkie spotted me out of the corner of her eye and held her hand up. That stopped me in my tracks. She soon calmed down and apologized, "I'm sorry, I must look crazy." She sighed, "For once in my life I don't know something and I feel...happy? I guess?" Twilight said and I sat back down. The purple librarian princess looked at the pink confectioner, "Pinkie, can I please have a cupcake? I feel like having something sweet today."

Pinkie paused for a minute before shaking her head and smiling, "Of course Twilight." She went into the back to make another batch of cupcakes, considering I ate all of them. I was hungry, could you blame me?

Twilight spotted me and made her way over, stopping right beside me. "Excuse me, Mr. Drake?"

"Yes, may I help you Miss Sparkle?" I asked her.

"Please call me Twilight," She said and then pointed to the chair opposite of myself. "Is there anyone occupying that seat?"

"Not that I'm aware of." I told her.

"May I?" She asked.

"I don't see any reason as to oppose your notion." I said and she sat across from me.

"How goes the search?" Twilight asked.

"There are a few things here and there, I'm doing the best I can to find some type of answer for you." I assured her.

"Thank you," She smiled as she put her hand on mine. "You've given me at least a sliver of hope."

"I have to ask this, what if the person that you want to find. Doesn't want to be found?" I looked her dead in the eye.

"If they do not want to be found, that's fine. All I want for Spike to know is that I still love him. I may not have shown him a lot of times, in fact hardly at all." She teared up, "I just want to know he's safe and sound. That he's eating right, and that I would want to try and be his friend again, be a proper friend this time. Then hopefully somewhere down the line, be family to him. I know that a lot to ask, and it's a lot to tell you. Especially considering that you don't even know who I'm talking about." Twilight concluded wiping her eyes with a free hand.

You have no idea Twi. I thought to myself and I smiled a kindhearted and warm smile. "If I find him, I'll let him know."

She reached across the table with a sudden hug, "Thank you so much." She whispered into my ear.

I returned the hug as best I could before she sat back down, "Well then, you're welcome?" I said.

"I'm so sorry, I must seem like the craziest person you've ever had to deal with." Twilight apologized.

"Nah, you wouldn't be the craziest. Someone tried to hire me to find the underwear gnomes that had been stealing their underwear." I said.

Twilight laughed out loud, it's been a long time since I've heard her laugh, she always did giggle snort. "I'm sorry that's mean of me."

"No, I was much meaner. I eventually took my lunch break to point out that the man had a hole in the bottom of his drawer." I concluded and she laughed again, "After that I referred him to the nearest mental institution. Turns out he hadn't been taking his medication and was going crazy."

"So it worked out?" Twilight asked.

"In a way yes." I said, "He started taking his medication again and got a new dresser." I said.

Twilight and I continued chatting, after she got her cupcake we ordered some milkshakes and continued to talk. I missed this, I'm not afraid to admit it just the nonsensical ramblings between the two of us, even though she doesn't know that I'm Spike. We chatted until Mr. and Mrs. Cake had to kick us out of the store because it was closing time. I walked Twilight back home. Twilight looked up at me and smiled, "It's been so long since I could genuinely laugh, thank you Mr. Drake."

"You can call me Jack, so long as we're on the same page Miss Sparkle." I had a half cocked grin.

"Alright, alright. I give." Twilight held her hands up, "Still, this was not necessary and I thank you anyways."

"You're more than welcome Twilight." I said.

Then she did something completely unexpected, she leaned up and kissed me on the cheek. Blushing, she ran inside leaving me standing there dumbfounded. "What the fuck?" I asked myself.

Author's Note:

A) Yes, I'm back. Writer's block is a bitch. B) This is an unedited version so any plot holes or grammar errors are 100% on me. C) I finally have a job where I accel at so I'm getting settled financially. D) Enjoy.