• Published 17th Oct 2018
  • 5,275 Views, 224 Comments

Chasing Shadows - zerofireking13



Spike decided to pack his things and disappear completely to get a fresh start on life, under the name of Jack Drake. When his past comes back to haunt him, will he be able to keep up the facade? (Special Thanks to The Faceless Maker for editing!)

  • ...
18
 224
 5,275

Case File 7.2

The doors closing off the outside world was startling, to say the least. Looking around the house, I noticed that several key details had changed. I'd been in the house before, back during what they called the Gauntlet of Fire. And funnily enough, I won the damn thing, even though I never wanted to participate. I handed the mantle over to Ember because; A) I knew nothing of running both the race of Dragonbloods and; B) I didn't want to become a criminal, as much as I grew to dislike my situation growing up. I know that a lot of people would kill to be in the position that I was formerly in. I wouldn't blame them either, I did have a pretty good life... from an outsider's perspective, at least.

I gulped slightly when Ember looked back at me as I paused in the entrance to her house. "What are you waiting for?"

I looked back at her, then looked down at the nearly bare lower half of my body, "Pants."

Ember blushed in embarrassment as she realized that no one had gotten me my pants. "Oh," She snapped her fingers and one of her goons came running in, "Get him some pants please."

While one of Ember's 'paid associates' retrieved some pants, I took in the details of what had changed around here. Even the small things, because the small details could help you if you know what you're looking for. Then I spotted something; Torch's signet ring...shit. I knew Torch wouldn't go anywhere without that ring, and then looking at where it sat, on the mantle below a painting of Torch that had been commissioned. "I'm sorry to hear about your father. I don't know how late I am saying this, but losing a family member never is easy," I said, without looking at her.

Ember said nothing as she stood still, until she asked, "Do you have any leads?"

"On Spike?" I asked her, "I'm tracking some down, but I can't really help from here," I stated.

"Dad said Spike was good for me, said that I should've married him," Ember wiped a tear from her eye, "I just want to find him."

"Have you considered trying the scepter?" I asked.

"Yes, many times," Ember trailed off.

I hadn't ever been summoned, though, so she must have stopped herself, for whatever reason. "Why didn't you use it?" I asked her. Foot, meet your old friend, mouth.

Instead of exploding into a rage like I had expected her to, she just quietly spoke, "I want him to come to me of his own free will," Ember started, and continued, "Spike would be upset if I dragged him here ...to me... against his will."

I internally chuckled, and kept myself from actually laughing. The only one I never meant to hurt was Ember, but look, and see what I did to her. Though it was very subtle, I could still see how she had changed. I looked down at my ring, the thing that kept me from the world. I took a deep breath and let it out, "Can you keep a secret?" I spoke out loud.

Ember looked at me, "What are you talking about?"

"I lied earlier, I haven't found any leads," I said, then I took off my ring, "Because there are no leads."

Ember stared as my hair brightened to that neon green color and some of my facial features disappeared, she stood in shock staring at me, "S-Spike?"

"Can't have any leads when you're looking for yourself," I stated, and got slapped, "Okay, I deserved that."

"YOU RAT BASTARD! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME! TO YOUR FRIENDS!" Ember shouted after walking up and slapping me.

"WHAT FRIENDS!?" I shouted back and shut her up. "You and Thorax? While you're both busy running countries and you're busy being the head honcho of what seems to be the Dragonic Mafia?"

Ember was taken aback when I stood up to her, "I-I would've made time for you. Y-You could've lived here."

"And have you worry about me 24/7? Ember, I needed to leave. For my sake, and I'm sorry that you got hurt by me leaving, that was something I never intended to do. I swear." I held her hands in mine.

Ember blushed then gasped, "Oh Bahamut, I told you...that I-I-I-" She stuttered.

"Can we talk about that later? I've got a lot of things to take care of before my love life, okay?" I asked her.

"O-Okay." Ember said as her associate came back with my pants.

"Ms. Ember-" He stopped in his tracks, I just looked at him and grabbed my pants.

Ember looked at him, and like a switch she flipped from being shocked to instant boss. "You saw nothing, say anything and you will not go home to see your children." She threatened.

I put my pants on and stared at the exchange, I rolled my jaw at it when Ember looked back at me she saw that I was not in a good mood now, "I don't like it when you do that."

"How else am I supposed to keep him quiet?" Ember asked.

"People forget things just as easily as they remember them," I told her, "Resorting to threats and violence just makes others believe in the stereotypes about us."

Ember looked down, then looked back to me, now confused, "Hold on, let me ask you something. Why reveal yourself to me? You've obviously taken careful steps to make sure that you got away from your old life, so...why me?"

"I guess in all honesty, I don't know," I sat down on a nearby couch and looked down at my hands, "Since I've been back in Ponyville, my past has been mixing with my present and I don't know how I feel. If I were to hazard a guess, it's because you were the first friend I could actually trust."

Ember came and sat down next to me, hesitant to either hit me or hug me, so she slugged me on the arm. Just as I was about to protest, she hugged me, "Shut up. Your stupid ass just dumped a lot of shit on me and I don't like it. So I'm reacting."

I put one arm around her, "Fair enough."

We stayed like that for a few minutes. I told Ember about how I was unhappy with my life, being a practical slave to the girls and that I had just up and disappeared. How I made a new life for myself and began to help people, the adventures I've had and the friends I've made...well the one friend I'd sound up making along the way, but she doesn't count because I pay her. I told her about coming up here and talking to my mom and Aunt Luna before coming here. The talking to the girls and about my plan to cover my tracks.

Ember spotted the bloodstain on my shirt again, "Oh shit!" She straightened her posture, "Shirt off, now." I complied with her command, with her assistance she got a good look at my now bare upper torso. "By Bahamut." She muttered to herself, however I could hear her.

"It's just a flesh wound," I stated, "Nothing to worry about."

"It's actively bleeding, it could get infected," Ember said, she snapped her fingers and another 'associate' of hers opened the door.

"Yes ma'am?" She asked as she poked her head in.

"Get me something to dress an actively bleeding flesh wound, and forget who you saw with me in here," Ember commanded, "Quickly."

"Yes ma'am," Her 'associate' nodded and closed the door.

"Better?" Ember asked looking back at me.

"I can tell that's sarcasm," I told her.

"While we're waiting you might as well fill me on on just what the hell is going on," Ember stated before poking near the bullet hole in my chest, "After you lay down."

That made me wince in pain, "Alright, you deserve that much," I didn't argue as I shifted to lay on her couch.

While in the process of laying down she had received the items she requested and dabbed at my chest while doing it in the sexiest manner she could. She practically lay on top of me whilst cleaning the blood and the wound, she looked at all my scars that I had earned over the past two years. She lightly touched them with her fingers, "How many?"

"I'm sorry?" I interrupted my storytelling.

"How many of these scars were from me?" She asked, "From the things I do?"

"Ember," I started but she stopped me.

"Tell me," Ember was now on the verge of tears.

"Five," I lied, "Please, Ember I don't blame you for it," I reached up and brushed her cheek with my hand, "So don't blame yourself."

Ember nodded, "Okay."

I felt my heart thump in my chest as she continued to dress my wound, when she got it clean she did something I didn't expect, she breathed her fire on my wound, cauterizing it. Her teal blue fire closing up my bullet hole, but I could tell it meant something else. "What did you do?"

Ember hesitated, then spoke, "I-I marked you."

"Does that mean marriage?" Spike asked.

"N-Not specifically, no. It just means that I will always be with you," Ember said, then she kissed the mark, "I've always wanted to be with you."

"Ember... I told you..." I said but she stopped me.

"I know but, Bahamut be praised you have turned into a sexy ass man," Ember complimented, "By his will I want to take you right here! Something is holding you back, I can tell." She lay on top of me now, hand on my chest and her other hand lightly running through my hair repeatedly.

"I don't know about my love life Ember, I have a hard time coping with my real life at this moment. Had you caught me at any other time, I probably would've said yes. But right now, I don't even fucking know," I admitted.

"It's Rarity isn't it?" Ember asked, "You always did hold a torch for her."

"Yeaah, maybe a little. Like I said, I don't know. Everything is confusing right now," I told her, "I'm not the same person you knew, Ember. I've changed a lot."

"I can tell," Ember said, "Just stay here, with me. For a bit?"

"Sure thing," I replied, and I did stay. Thinking about why I revealed myself to Ember, and in all honesty? I really don't know anymore. Was it because I didn't want to hurt her? Or was it that I just don't care anymore? Either way, all things considered, I'm pretty happy right now.

Author's Note:

Changed the rating from Mature to Teen, and I realize that this may be a bit all over the place but bear with me. Please.