• Published 18th Oct 2018
  • 729 Views, 10 Comments

Chase - Farenth Vega



Racing through the woods, Twilight Sparkle tries to put as much ground as possible between her and her pursuer.

  • ...
6
 10
 729

Chapter 4

According to the radio, the storm's actually getting worse instead of better.

Of course, that's good news for you. Maybe you've still got some luck after all. Even better news is he's not cruel enough to leave you tied up and bored for days. Either that or he got tired after two days of constant horse whining.

"Arnold come on, my hooves hurt! Just for a few minutes? Please!"

Eventually he caved and actually released the limbs. Who would have thought being able to kick your hoofsies would feel so great?

You admit though you blushed a little when he chuckles at your pleased trotting and stretching. Maybe if he spent almost four full days tied up he'd understand. Whatever.

Sitting down instead of prancing only leaves you with one thing to do, talk. You'd spent the past few days building something of a rapport with the human. You'd both grown a bit more comfortable around the other, as well as learned a few things.

One interesting thing you've picked up is that he actually does have morals, weird ones, but morals nonetheless.

He's willing to steal ponies against their wills, but only because he genuinely believes they'll be happier and safer where he takes them. He also avoids unnecessary cruelty such as more painful restraints or using a 'real' gun when a pony is the target.

You were a bit confused about the 'real' part until he showed you. Needless to say you were terrified once he shot a few trees to show you. Trees! The projectile went straight through solid wood! How could anyone even think about using that on a living creature?!

The first few shots of destructive power had you quivering in fear, the last one had you running in terror. Shame the prey side of your brain is an idiot, all you managed to do was fall over when you ran out of chain.

"Whoa there sparky! You ok?"

Not really!

The primitive part of your brain is still screaming at you to hide, so you go to the only place you could reach, inside your sleeping bag. Yeah yeah, it's not really going to protect you, but it still feels a bit safer.

"Hey, relax you don't have to hide, I promise."

La la la la la, can't hear you. You continue to ignore the frightening creature until something's pushed into the front of your sleeping bag. Crap, it's one of those really good peaches. Where does he keep getting these things? God they're so good, you can't stay mad or scared while eating one of these. You'll munch it, but you'll munch inside the sleeping bag... and with a frown!

He's quiet while you polish off the fruit then throw out the pit. Huh no smart remarks yet, is he even still there? Reluctantly you pull back the top of the sleeping bag and peak out. Wat? The gun looks to be in several pieces all over the ground.

"Did it break?"

"Welcome back. I just needed to clean it a bit, it'll go right back together. Didn't scare you too much did I?"

"I-It's just a bit... intimidating. You said people actually use those on ponies?"

"Well, smaller caliber ones sometimes. Usually just for dangerous types."

"But you wouldn't ever...?"

"Oh, nah. This one's just for hunting and protection. Like you said, there's lots of beasties out there even if this isn't the everfree."

"H-hunting...?"
"Sorry, hunting animals. You know the ones that can't talk."

"So you can... eat...?"

Holy crap, you knew he was an omnivore in theory but how can he just casually chat about murdering and eating living creatures!?

"Every bit yeah. I try and avoid it when I've got guests though."

Guests. Don't want the valuable prey panicking when they see your violently devour some other poor herbivore?

"Try not to worry too much about it sheila. All you'd ever get is the tranq for a nice little nap."

He strides over to the post you're chained too and removes the lock. Did you ask too many questions!? Is he going to silence you now!? You've been half expected violence by, but why now?!

"What do you say to a walk? Been awhile since you've stretched those legs."

Oh. A walk. That's less horrible than what you'd imagined. Can't be that easy though.

Do you want to go on a walk? yes.
Do you want to be seen as too compliant, as broken in? No.

"We'll go fishing how about that?"

Fish IS good... Fine, you crawl out of your sleeping bag and wait patiently for him to release you.

This is the first time you've been unchained from the metal stake since your escape attempt. He clipped the other end to himself, but now you at least have a chance to overpower him. Is it worth the risk though? He said the gun was just for the 'dangerous types', a list you were glad you didn't yet occupy.

No, you should just play it cool. Time's on your side, for now. Looking for opportunities is smarter than taking big risks when you don't have to.

Feels good to go for a proper trot though. He's a bit slow with his inferior number of legs, but that just lets you take it easy. You recognize a few landmarks along the way. You sorta suspected so but this confirms it, after your initial run he'd carried you all the way back to his camp near your old one. So that's what? Three miles carrying a full grown mare? He's even more more physically fit than you thought.

"Are we going to the stream?"

"You bet."

"Why not the pond? I've seen much bigger fish there?"

"Oh, is there? Lead the way then miss tour guide."

Stupid human can't even navigate the stupid forest. How'd he even find you in the first place? Your helpless charge seems reasonable impressed at the fantastic pond you lead him to. It's cool you guess, good for a swim at least. Today you just sit on the side and grab a drink.

You take a few sips before you catch him watching you out of the corner of your eye.

"What?"

"Nah, it's nothing."

He looks around for a second as if taking the whole area in.

"Do a lot of animals come here to drink?"

"It's more popular than the river. I've seen everything from deer to manticores here."

"Hmm might be a good spot..."

"Good spot for what?"

"Nothing, don't worry about it. Why don't you just unwind a bit while I catch some dinner?"

Since when has 'don't worry about it' ever been good advice? Good spot... What would he need a place for? Camping? Maybe, but he was interested in the animals... A glint of light draws your attention to the weapon on his back. Hold on a minute!

"Wait! You better not be planning on hurting anything!"

"Hey relax. I'll do it when you're not here, but I've got to eat too you know."

"You've been fine so far!"

Truth be told you have no idea what his dietary needs are. It's reasonably likely he needs meat, but that doesn't mean you want deaths on your conscience!

"Well for a bit yeah, but I can't live off veggies forever."

The science part of your brain wants to argue that an omnivore should be able to do just that, but you really don't know enough. Not only do different omnivore's dietary requirements vary, but he's not even native to this world.

"What about fish? Isn't that enough?"

"What, fish aren't alive too? Why are they less important?"

Because they aren't quadrupeds you can identify with.

You trot a few quick circles in frustration.
"Look I just don't want to be responsible for innocent deaths..."

"It's nature sheila. Just think of it as the circle of life."

Circle of 'gonna kick him into the lake'.

*Grumble grumble* "I know how nature works, but i still don't have to like it."

The monster has the gall to reach over and ruffle your mane! You pull as far out of his reach as you can, and attempt to fix the hair he messed up.

"I'll try to keep it away from you alright?"

You grumble some more and lay down in the grass. Meat eaters go away, herbivore master race.

"Stupid meat..."

"Yeah, but it's tasty."

You make an exaggerated gagging noise.
"Herbivore here! And prey species!"

"Bah, you say that but you guys are the dominant species."

"Doesn't change some things..."

The sensation of a hand between your shoulder blades makes you jump! How did he sneak up on you like that? Maybe you'd underestimated how stealthy something as large as that could be; he is a self proclaimed hunter after all. Either way you swing a hoof behind you to try and ward off the now scratching fingers. They don't actually feel that bad, but still.

"No touch."

The declaration isn't nearly as strong or commanding as you wanted.

"Don't be like that now. You know I'm just trying to make it up to you."

"You can make it up to me by letting me go..."

"You know I can do that that either. If I don't bring you they'll just send someone else, could be someone even meaner than me."

"Meaner than you? No way."

"Hey, who went and got your favorite fruit without even being asked?"

Ok, yeah he did do that. You'd just mentioned peaches in passing then before you knew it he had fetched a dozen.

"I guess that was nice."

A silent moment passes with his hand still scratching your back. It feels nice, maybe a bit physical contact will make him more sympathetic.

"So what happens to you after all this? Isn't Mr. big shot hunter going to be bored going back to normal animals?"

"I thought about that too. I don't really know what I'll do, what could compete with this?"

He frowns a little as he casts the line back into the pond.

"Is there like a time limit? Like how long until they send someone else?"

"I doubt they would unless I threw in the towel."

"I-I don't want to go in yet, and I don't think you want your best hunt ever to end either."

"Well, I'll miss it that's for sure."

"You could, I mean we could do it again."

He looks down at you and cocks an eyebrow.

"Do it again? Trying to convince me you want to play prey again?"

Well it sounds stupid when he puts it that way.

"Why not? You caught me last time, don't think you could do it again?"

"Oh, I know I could, but that's just not how this all works."

"But you said yourself there's no real time limit. We can't even get back to your people because of the weather so why rush? Just think of it as a game?"

Is that a good laughter or a bad laughter?

"First of all, I could catch you again with no problem."

Hopefully your challenging smirk can goad him into a stupid decision.

"Secondly, you've got a point-"

You jump to your hooves in excitement! Is he going to do it!?

"Those idiots said the dam might even break, so we've got all the time in the world. You want to play hide and seek?"

He unclips the chain from your bridle and gives your flank a firm swat!

"Let's play hide and seek!"

If freedom wasn't good enough motivation the swat was! You bolt away from the pond just as fast as you can! Gotta run! Got to get away! Got to make sure he'll never catch you again!