• Published 14th Oct 2018
  • 4,086 Views, 58 Comments

Rarity the Anarchist - Blarghalt



Sweetie Belle discovers one of Rarity's long-held trade secrets. And she thought Discord was chaotic.

  • ...
7
 58
 4,086

Rarity the Anarchist

Sweetie Belle was lazily reading a comic book as her sister raced around her workshop in her usual frantic pace. Their parents had left her into her big sister's care for the weekend, and so she was condemned to the upper floor of the boutique, where Rarity could keep an eye on her.

Sweetie Belle looked up to one of the costumes Rarity was attending to. It was a white frilly thing, with intricate detail in every stitch. Still, its perfection wasn't enough, as her sister was poring over it, criticizing herself and noting what she had to change.

"I don't get it," Sweetie Belle said, "What's the point of all that detail? Nopony's ever going to notice it."

Rarity laughed off her sister's objection. "It's fashion. If you skip out on details you know you could have added, the ponies with pull will notice. Going above and beyond in dressmaking isn't desired, it's practically mandatory!"

"But what about that stuff you never do?"

"How do you mean, Sweetie Belle?"

"Well, you know that silk stuff that kinda looks gold? I never see you mixing that with the silver stuff."

Rarity chuckled, walking over to her sister and giving her a slightly condescending pat on the head. "Oh, that's because doing that would break a very old rule. Rule of tincture."

"Tintawhat?"

"Rule of tincture. Never mix metals with other metals. There are many rules for design, and I pride myself on knowing every single one."

"You ever broke any?"

Rarity pulled back, her face scrunched. "Well, as with all rules, you can bend them. I might have had to ignore one or two, but only if I was absolutely sure the end result would be worth the scandal of breaking it!"

"So how are they rules if you just ignore them?"

Rarity gave a familiar, overly dramatic gasp. "Sweetie Belle! If there were no rules at all, the entire fashion world would be complete anarchy! Up would be down, white would be black, red would be mixed with black, which would actually be white, and the next thing you know every pony is wearing dresses made of neon conflicting colors and awful gradients and fake alicorn wings!"

"...what?"

"The point is these rules exist for a reason. More often than not, breaking them will result in an absolutely garish outcome. And I wouldn't be a very good designer if I was breaking rules constantly, now would I?"

"What about those designers that say they're experimental and make all those weird dresses that make no sense?"

"They are to be shunned."

Rarity turned back to return to her work, but her hair nearly took off from her head when she noticed something at her pile of supplies.

"Sweet Celestia!" she cried, "I'm out of thread! How?!"

She looked back to Sweetie Belle, breathing heavily. "Sweetie Belle, I have to make an emergency run into town to get some thread!"

Rarity sprinted out the door, calling out to Sweetie Belle as she ran down the stairs. "I'll be back in a moment don't touch anything especially the dresses be back soon!"

Sweetie Belle heard the front door to the boutique slam shut. The only thing keeping her company now was Opal, currently napping one on of the naked mannequins.

"Well," she said to Opal, "guess it's just you and me now."

The cat opened her eyes long enough to look at Sweetie Belle, hiss at her, then go right back to sleep.

Sweetie Belle looked around Rarity's workshop. Most of the dresses were in various stages of completion, but none of them ready.

Her thoughts turned back to what Rarity had said about fashion rules. She knew her sister was getting kind of famous for her dresses, but why?

She decided to go downstairs and inspect some of the dresses. Rarity said she couldn't touch them, but what was the harm at just looking at them really close?

Walking down the stairs, she entered the shop section of Rarity's boutique. Rarity had at least remembered to put the 'CLOSED' sign on the front door, so there was little chance of her being caught with a customer. One of the dresses in the front window caught her eye, a long striped dress with a wide-brimmed hat.

She hopped up on the display, leaning inward. She'd seen some of her sister's sketches before, but it always seemed like she had more-or-less always had the final product in her head before she put it to paper. Then there were Rarity's earliest dresses which she refused to talk about entirely, simply calling them "abominations" and dropping the subject. Where did Rarity get her ideas?

There was nothing odd about the dress, any case. At least, that's what she thought. It wasn't exactly like she was a fashion judge.

But even though the dress was of Rarity's standard work, something was off about the mannequin. The dress left most of the front legs exposed, and she noticed a hinge on the left leg. That was odd, if only because she'd never seen anything like that on any of the other mannequins.

Rarity had told her not to touch anything. Especially the dresses.

She reached out towards the hinged limb. Like her sister said, you have to ignore a rule or two sometimes.

To her surprise, the limb moved. It budged only a little, and that's when she realized the hinge only really allowed movement in one direction. Instead, she pulled, and the leg came towards her. A very loud click came from the leg, and suddenly she heard a large, scraping sound behind her.

She jumped up, and her mouth went wide when she saw the big table with the flower design on the top slide aside, revealing a staircase going downward.

Rarity had a basement?

Before she could move towards the mysterious stairs, she saw Opal walking down the stairs. The cat caught sight of the stairs, and then looked to Sweetie Belle with a smug grin. Sweetie Belle got the message clear enough: "you're in so much trouble."

"Rarity didn't say anything about opening passages to mysterious dark basements!" Sweetie Belle shot back. But as soon as she said, she realized maybe that was more an unspoken rule.

Oh well, she thought. Might as well go all the way.

She walked over, peering down the darkness. It was a spiral staircase, she couldn't make out anything from where she was at; she'd have to go in. She hesitantly placed down one hoof on the fair step, wincing for the inevitable booby trap. When the whoosh of darts coming out of the walls didn't sound, she took a second step, then a third, and slowly began to trot down the staircase.

There was no light, and it grew darker and darker until she felt herself reach the final step. The stairs seemed to open into a room of some kind, though it was too dark to see anything.

Sweetie Belle walked along the walls, searching for a light switch. While she did, she kept stepping over stuff she couldn't identify in the dark, but a lot of it felt like...sewing supplies? She even swore she kicked an empty spray can out of the way until she finally hit a switch on the far side of the room.

Light filled the room from above, and what Sweetie Belle saw shocked her.

It was chaos. Not "organized chaos" that could be found in her sister's workshop, but actual chaos. Mannequins were outfitted with dresses that defied any kind of sense. One that mixed every color of the rainbow in a checkboard pattern, one made entirely out of flowers, one made out of what looked like folded paper and crudely spray-painted...they all looked like the inventions of an insane person.

The walls were spray-painted, too. Grafitti lined the walls, giving the room a very grungy tone. Crude chalk diagrams of dresses were scribbled on random portions of it, along with dressmaking supplies being scattered haphazardly throughout the room.

She walked up to one of the stranger dresses. She'd never seen anything like it; starting from the legs, it seems normal enough, dark blue fabric, until you realized it came with a huge coat draped over the back with giant golden buttons. It had a purple shirt, for some reason, and most oddly a giant chain hanging off one shoulder. And then there was the hat hanging off one side of the head, its front studded with strange golden symbols she didn't recognize.

It was plain bizarre. Sweetie didn't know a lot about fashion, but she was pretty sure this thing broke every rule in the book.

As she reached out to touch the chain, she heard a familiar voice behind her.

"I should have known this day would come."

Sweetie Belle spun around to see her sister standing at the staircase, a new batch of sewing supplies levitating above her.

"Rarity!" Sweetie Belle squeaked, "Uh!"

Rarity rolled her eyes, walking over to the corner and flipping another switch Sweetie Belle hadn't seen. She heard the table above them slowly grind back into place.

"There," Rarity mumbled. "That should give us some privacy."

"What is this place?!" Sweetie Belle demanded.

She put down her supplies with a sigh. "You've found the Anarchy Room."

"Anarchy Room?"

"Yes. It's been here since the boutique has."

"What is it?"

Rarity walked over to the dress made out of paper. She ripped off the leggings of it, inspecting the crude drawings on the surface. "My unfiltered id, I suppose."

"Huh?"

With another sigh, Rarity turned to her sister. "Remember everything I said about fashion rules, and how important it is to follow them?"

"Yeah?"

"That doesn't apply here. Whatever happens in here, doesn't happen. I allow myself to break every rule I know in this room, and not hate myself later. It lets me experiment in every direction."

"So all those fashion rules...?"

"In here? Don't exist. Never will."

"So...a dress made out of denim?"

"Allowed."

"What about a hat made out of tin cans painted tye-dye?"

"Yep."

"Bamboo boots?"

"I called them 'bamboots'. The point is, you can commit any fashion sin in the Anarchy Room. Here, let me show you."

She walked over to one of the naked mannequins, picking up long sheets of fabrics and scissors along the way. The quickly went to work, madly cutting out pieces of fabric and tying together other parts until she finally stood aside to show her work.

It was a dress, sort of, only random holes had been cut out all over. There was no sense to where the holes had been cut out, and some even had odd strips of fabric connecting each hole.

"See?" Rarity said in an almost-proud tone. "If I created this in my actual workroom, I would have to burn down the boutique. But here? It's a misfit among many!"

Sweetie Belle grabbed a paint bucket with her magic. Though it was heavy, she managed to lift it over the head of one of the other mannequins and drop an enter gallon's worth of pink paint on one of the mannequin's heads. "Like that?"

Rarity beamed. "You get the idea! But try to keep the mannequins more or less intact in here. They're not exactly cheap."

Sweetie Belle and Rarity spent the rest of the afternoon playing around in the Anarchy Room, each trying to outdo the other with terrible designs. Rarity's experience gave her the edge, but Sweetie Belle's total ignorance of fashion made her a tough opponent. Eventually, they agreed on a draw when they both came up with the same terrible design: a dress made entirely out of tape.

After they were done, Sweetie Belle flicked the switch that opened up the passage to the shop, and they both ascended the stairs.

When they re-entered the boutique, Rarity quickly ran over to the mannequin with the switch and pulled its leg, sealing the table back into place. She looked over to her sister. "Oh, I forgot to mention. There is one rule in the Anarchy Room."

"What's that?"

Rarity's face suddenly turned grim. "You do not talk about the Anarchy Room."

"Sounds fair," Sweetie Belle replied.

"Oh, and Opalescence is not allowed in the Anarchy Room."

"Why?"

Rarity looked over to Opal napping on a table, her eyes narrowing. "She knows what she did."

Her face brightened. "So, what did you think of the monstrosities in there?"

"They were awful."

Rarity chuckled. "That's the idea. All the horrible ideas have to go somewhere. Have to filter them out, and keep the perfection. Now come on, I bet you're hungry. You need a perfect dinner."

"Can I cook?"

"There isn't an Anarchy Kitchen, Sweetie Belle."

They both laughed, walking up the stairs to the second floor of the boutique.

Comments ( 58 )

Rarity spun around to see her sister standing at the staircase, a new batch of sewing supplies levitating above her.

me thinks you meant SB there.

Rarity spun around

Sweetie spun around

Good little story. :)

That was a nice little story :pinkiehappy:. I'm always down for some cute sister bonding.

The anarchy kitchen is in Pinkie Pie's secret basement at Sugar Cube Corners. :pinkiehappy: Cute story, thanks for posting it.

You know, between the title, description and picture, I was imagining that Sweetie would discover Rarity going out in the middle of the night spray-painting graffiti and anti-establishment ideas on the walls of Ponyville or something.

... there was spray-paint...

Just want to show props for the Lead Belly quote.

...Did you just describe Pinkie's Rapper Outfit...?

You know what that being there makes total sense.

~Skeeter The Lurker

That was cute! Not super deep, but I laughed several times ("They are to be shunned" tickled me for some reason) and I like the moral: worrying too much about the rules can stifle your creativity. Give your artistic side some room to explore, so you can find new and exciting options WITHIN the rules of good art. Nice job, fun to read. ^^

*laughs* Outstanding! Nicely done!

Even the stiffest fashionista has to let her bad side out SOMEWHERE...

She looked back to Celestia, breathing heavily. "Sweetie Belle, I have to make an emergency run into town to get some thread!"

Back too... Sweetie?

Cute story. Especially the ending. Just some quality bonding with some fun lines from Rarity thrown in. I could see this being canon, honestly.

Me and my political ass thought Rarity was attempting to overthrow the triarchy? Quadrarchy? Oligarchy? I dunno. Something that ends with archy.

9230309
Probably diarchy, as only two Princesses are ruling Equestria itself. The Crystal Empire would be a monarchy. Ponyville would be... hmm. Not sure. A principality?

9230409
Eh...I like to think Ponyville is core territory, and the Crystal Empire is basically an integrated puppet state. Hence my lack of clarity on whether Tri or Quad is appropriate.

D'aawww, what a heartwarming short story of familial bonding. :twilightsmile:

9230499
I second this!

I don't know what I expected going in, but this wasn't it.

This was better.

Rarity looked over to Opal napping on a table, her eyes narrowing. "She knows what she did."

I bet Opal decided to anarchically challenge the very definition of "litter box" by making everywhere she does her business a litter box.

This. I like this. It makes perfect sense.

And there's the obligatory JOJO reference! Nice job describing Jotaro's outfit!

9230829

Haha, I knew someone would eventually spot it.

Great, now this song is stuck in my head!

Bamboots

Great! Give me seven of them, one for each day of the week!

This was awesome. And it made sense. And it was so completely in character.

The long, green tentacles of my brain have snatched it up and made it part of my head canon.

Beautifully done. :twilightsmile:

So does this mean she has an Authoritarian Attic?

Welp, that was not what I expected. But hey, it works

I think we ALL need an Anarchy Room, Brony and Non-Brony alike.
(:trollestia: Where can I get one? For Luna.)

New headcanon accepted

I have to admit when I saw the title I thought it said "Rarity the analist".

great story but I can also see , rarity say this is where Discord get his clothing form.

9229700
thought that was the party cave

I... I need a room like that.

Up would be down, white would be black, red would be mixed with black, which would actually be white, and the next thing you know every pony is wearing dresses made of neon conflicting colors and awful gradients and fake alicorn wings!

"We will not give General Zoi another inch of ground!"
"Who?"
"You really must pay more attention in history, dearest."

It was plain bizarre.

Yare yare daze...

In any case, brilliant concept. An Anarchy Room seems like a valuable thing for any artist. One could argue this whole story came from yours. :raritywink: Thank you for this.

I'm not gonna lie, I originally read this as "Rarity the Antichrist" and wondered how it could possibly be just slice-of-life.

"They are to be shunned."

No bread jokes, 0/10.

For serious though, cute story.

The point is, you can commit any fashion sin in the Anarchy Room.

I want an Anarchy Room for art.

9232839
Oh? I thought the Party Cave was open to the public...

Rarityotkin and the Conquest of Fabric

This was a pretty interesting fic. The premise of having a room where bad ideas go, in order to filter out and create perfection in your normal room. It's an interesting concept.

However, I am going to critique on your use of the word "anarchy." It's clear to me that you believe anarchy means no rules. No it doesn't. It means "No Rulers." You can still have rules in an anarchical society, only that a central state (or government) does not hold the monopoly on making the rules and enforcing them.

Given the context of the story, I believe "Chaotic Rarity" would have been a better term.

9229700 And the Anarchy Kitchen has only 1 cookbook.

9235375

I was a bit confused by that. Rarity's canonically a bootlicker.

derpicdn.net/img/2012/12/24/192672/full.gif

Thought Rarity was going to be an antifa member or something. This was fine too.

Oh my gosh that was nice to read!

I read Arcanist for some reason lol

9237676

Rarity the Anarchist Arcanist Antichrist

Sweetie Belle is in so much trouble. So, so much trouble.

"You do not talk about the Anarchy Room."

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/397027/181/ranger/chapter-179-playing

9240192

There's no way that isn't a shoutout to this.

Login or register to comment