• Published 14th Oct 2018
  • 1,340 Views, 18 Comments

The Bright Side of the Moon - Vchart920



After discovering the harsh truth of his marriage, Filthy Rich and Diamond Tiara must learn to cope and move on with their lives

  • ...
4
 18
 1,340

Blue Laced Letter

Breakfast woke the little filly; the smell reached all throughout the house. Her weary eyes opened, her heart stung as the events of last night rushed back to her. Diamond wiped away the dry tears from her face before slowly making her way to the kitchen.

Seeing her father cooking gave her a small warmth in her heart. He didn't often cook as they would usually go out to eat, so it was always a treat for her when he did. “Morning, dad.”

Rich took his attention from the stove to his daughter, giving her a weak smile. “Morning, sweetheart. I hope pancakes and eggs are all right.”

Diamond got herself a glass of orange juice. “I missed your cooking. I didn’t like going out to eat all the time.”

“Neither did I.” He shut the stove off and plated the food for the two of them. Rich set their plates on the table before taking a seat himself.

They both ate in moderate silence, but a question still nagged at the back of Diamond’s mind. So much so that she had to make it stop. “Is mom going to take me away?”

Rich took a moment to process what he had been asked. His somber expression shifted to one of determination. “I’m not going to let her.” Hearing this gave Diamond a swell of happiness. Given confirmation to what Princess Luna said filled her with a new sense of hope. Rich quickly switched the subject. “Would there be anything you’d like to do today? Maybe we could visit the park or you could hang out with your friends? I can always catch up with Granny Smith for a while.”

Diamond Tiara looked from her plate to him. A small smile formed in her face and she nodded. “I'd like that.”

Soon enough, the two were on their way out the door to Sweet Apple Acres. The silence between the two was dense as fog. It made the trip to the farm more endearing.

“Well hoody doo there, Filthy Rich!” Granny Smith waved to him as they approached the old apple farm.

Rich gave a smile to the old mare. “Howdy, Granny. Is Apple Bloom around as well?”

“She sure is!” She turned to the home behind her. “APPLE BLOOOOM!” Her voice cracked, neck stretching as she cupped a hoof over her mouth. “FRIEND’S HERE TO SEE YA!”

The little filly poked her head out of her window. Her eyes lit up spotting the other. “Diamond Tiara! I’ll be down in a jiffy!”

“Would you mind if I stayed to chat for a while?” Rich didn’t have many friends, but Granny was always close to him seeing as they were business partners for so many years.

“Why of course, always a mighty fine pleasure. How’s about you come inside, have some cider?”

“That sounds wonderful.” He followed her inside as Apple Bloom met Diamond Tiara.

“Would you like to go to the treehouse?”

Diamond suddenly had a hard time holding in her tears. Apple Bloom was shocked when her friend suddenly embraced her. “My mom’s leaving and said she was going to take me away from my dad.”

“What?! When did this happen?”

Diamond got a hold of her sobs enough to speak. “Dad found out she had been cheating on him last night. They had a huge fight and she left. I’ve never seen my dad so upset.”

“That’s awful! Why would she do such a thing?” Apple Bloom held her friend tighter. Diamond wanted to answer, but her sobs drowned out anything she could say.

Rich swirled the warm cider in his mug, staring into it. “I don’t understand why she would do such a thing, Granny. I’ve done nothing but treat her like a queen, given her all my love and support.”

Granny slammed her mug on the table. “I always knew she was nothin’ but a cold hearted witch! Dang nabbed, two timing, hussie!” She gritted her dentures, leering harshly. “If ya ask me, it was a blessin’ she up and left!”

“What am I to do now? She threatened to bring in lawyers and take my daughter from me. Diamond is my world.”

“What can ya do?! I’ll tell ya what you can do! Take their fancy lawyer schlock and shove it back where it belongs! No apple suckin’ harlot es going to take that sweet child from ye, ya here?! It’d be over my dead body!” She slammed her mug again, specks of cider flew out and onto the table.

Waves rippled on the top of Rich’s cider as he gently blew on it before taking a couple sips. Hearing the old mare be so aggressive about Diamond being taken away was heartwarming, but it couldn’t douse the wildfire of fear inside of him. “I’m half tempted to give her a sum of money, hell the whole business. I could care less at this point. Just to keep Diamond with me.” The realization of the situation hit him. He found it hard to hold in these emotions.

“There’s no need to give that floozy a dime. Ya give her an inch, she’d go the whole mile!” Granny shakily and determinedly pushed herself up and moseyed over to the kitchen cabinets. “Now, I knows a good arguer in our here family. If anyone can put them lawyers in their place, it’d be him.” She opened the cupboard and pulled out a dusty, leather book, slamming it on the counter.

“Granny, there’s no need to do that. I’d hate to take up any of your family’s time.”

“Oh, you hush up! It’s the least I could do for ya after all our families have been through. Why I remember the time we had an awful infestation and yer father took on them loss so we woundn’ have ta.” The old pages crinkled as she flipped through them. “You’re practically family as is and Apples stick together! Ah, here he is, livin’ up in New Hay City. Now, he ain’t nothin’ too fancy, but he’ll take good care of ya.” She heaved the book into her hooves and slowly brought it to the table, slapping it right in front of him. Rich pulled his mug out of the way to not be hit by the book. “Tell him old Granny sent ya and he’ll be here lickty split.”

By this point, he knew it was no use arguing with her. “I appreciate this. I really do.”

Granny’s ancient lips curled into a warm smile. Gently, she wrapped a hoof around him, pulling him in for a comforting hug. “We’re goin’ to make sure little Diamond Tiara sticks here in Ponyville, you got notin’ to worry about.”

A quick couple of knocks sounded from the front door. “Granny, are you in here?” The voice was unmistakable. What was Spike doing here? Perhaps coming to visit the kids?

“Yes indeedy! Come on in.”

The little dragon happily made his way to her. “Oh, good. I was worried I’d have to go all over Ponyville to find you.” Spike pulled out a rolled up letter tied with a shimmering blue ribbon. To Rich’s surprise, Spike handed it to him. “This came for you not too long ago. It’s from Princess Luna.”

The princess of the night? What importance was he that she was sending a letter? Nevertheless, he took the scroll in his hooves and read it over.

Dear Filthy Rich,

You must be wondering why I have sent you this letter. Currently, my sister has been busy with hosting the Grand Galloping Gala this year. This time, she is need of extra assistance. I have heard many good points of your business expertise from Twilight Sparkle, so took it upon myself to ask for your help as I am unfamiliar with hosting such social events. Your expenses in travel and stay will be covered by myself and we intend to pay you handsomely for your work if you do accept. Please send your answer through Spike and we shall respond as soon as we can.

Sincerely,

Princess Luna

Rich stared at the letter in awe. He wasn’t aware the Gala was around the corner, though he also never attended one either. It could be good for him and Diamond to be able to get away for some time.

“Well, what’s it say, sonny? I ain’t got the eyes I used to.”

“Oh, Princess Luna had invited me to help with the Gala this year.”

“Da Grand Gallopin’ Gala?! Hoooie!” She practically jumped for joy, face brightening like a young filly. “Why I’d give up my left hoof to get one of them tickets and yer gonna run the show!” A dry cackle escaped her.

“I suppose I am. It could be a nice opportunity to get away from the current situation.” He looked back to Spike who was enjoying a glass of cider. “Tell the princess I’ll be there to assist.”

Spike gave Rich a smile. “She’ll be glad to hear! Thanks for the cider, Granny. Have a nice day!” Spike took his leave, spreading his wings and taking off.

“I should go tell Diamond about this, see if she wants to come or stay with someone here.”

“You take care now!”

Making his way outside, he expected to have to go find her. Instead, she was sitting on the grassy field next to the house with Apple Bloom. “Diamond, would you come here a moment?”

“Sure.” She wiped her eyes once more and hurried to her dad. “Are we leaving?”

“Not yet. Your dragon friend was here not too long ago.”

Apple Bloom trotted after Diamond. “Yeah, we saw him. What did he want?”

“I received a letter from Princess Luna. The Gala is coming soon and she wants my assistance. You won't have to come with if you don't want. You can stay here with your friends.”

“Helpin’ out with the Gala? That sounds awesome!” Apple Bloom smiled to her friend. “You should totally go!”

Princess Luna? She thought it was odd seeing as she had visited her in her dreams last night. She didn't take long to think of an answer. “I'll go with you, dad.”

Hearing this warmed his heart. “We should get packing. I'm not sure how long we'll be there.”

“What about….” The word has suddenly become too painful to speak.

“Let me worry about that, Sweetheart.”

“Yeah, don't worry about that,” her friend agreed, putting a hoof on her shoulder. “You're gonna have so much fun in Canterlot. As long as the rich snobs don't bother you too much.”

While Rich strolled home with his daughter, he worried the same. With the offer from the princess, he couldn't refuse; he didn't want to either. His only hope was that Spoiled didn't come around to… well, spoil their day. A sense of urgency poked and prodded his mind. Rich wanted to pack as fast as they could, but he didn't want to show his daughter how desperate he was to leave the stress behind for some time. Most likely, she was going to hurry, too. He knew she didn't want to be around this either. Princess Luna's message was a blessing in disguise. An odd coincidence, but he'd prefer not think too far into it.

On the other hand, Diamond felt the letter was too much of a coincidence. Not that she was complaining. It was simply odd how Luna wanted her dad's help at the Gala. Perhaps it had to do with last night. Maybe it really was a coincidence. Either way, she was grateful for the princess.

Comments ( 9 )

It looks like things are going to be looking up for Diamond Tiara very soon.

“Well, what’s it say, sony? I ain’t got the eyes I used to.”

This should be 'sonny'. Otherwise, seeing an update from this is sweet!

Glad to see update :) Hope to see more soon :3 Interested to see what happens considering Rich has Princess Luna on his side...

Yay! :pinkiehappy:
An update to a really good story!

Is there going to be another chapter?

Hmmm Tis a story sadly seems it’s going on 3 years now without an update. I do hope we see one soon but if not…at least give us the decency to cancel the story so we don’t lie in wait for something that isn’t to be. Other then that it’s a good story an something different for sure.

Well it looks like Filthy Rich and Diamond Tiara are in a pickle especially had to dealing with spoiled rich threatening to take away her daughter away from him so they decided to go to the Apple family to talk with Granny Smith and Diamond Tiara talking with Apple Bloom he was worried that he will lose Diamond tiara but Granny Smith offered him help by contacting one of her lawyers to help him and it looks like Spike came along and a letter from Princess Luna inviting him to the Grand Galloping Gala I think going then should be good for them especially what's going on I wonder what's going to happen and I really hope this story does continue this looks very interesting

Login or register to comment