• Published 11th Nov 2018
  • 1,881 Views, 131 Comments

Memoirs of My War - Antiquarian



Years after the end of the Great War, a journalist interviews some of its greatest heroes. Veterans Day Tribute.

  • ...
1
 131
 1,881

Slight-of-Hoof

Interview Excerpt: Duke Golden Crown, former Prime Minister of Equestria

Politics is a slight-of-hoof game. Keep their eyes focused on the show, and they don’t notice the stallion behind the curtain. Before the War, it was a different sort of game. I wined and dined the movers and shakers, hosted auctions, opened galleries, ran galas; I was the master of the social game. True, many thought me a fop, but the disguise worked well. “Fancypants,” they called me, a compliment as much as a fond pejorative. They shook my hoof and did my favors and, thanks to my direction, ran Parliament exactly as Equestria desperately needed them to.

While they were distracted by the show, I made sure that the cogs turned behind the scenes – advantageous trade treaties; a robust industry; expansive urban and rural development; a hardy agriculture; a thriving economy…

modern weapons.

You think it was an accident that we went from fielding a hoof-full of muzzle-loading rifles on the frontiers to second-generation breech loaders and first-generation lever-actions in time for the War? Or that we had the capacity to develop tanks and SAW Harnesses during the War? No, sir. Those were the result of bargains and deals I made behind closed doors; myself, and other like-minded members of the citizenry and Their Royal Highnesses’ Government who understood just how precarious the peace was. We Crown Loyalists, industry leaders, and nobles who still remembered what our titles stood for. We got our nation ready for the War!

Except… we didn’t. Not really. Nopony is ever really ready for war, I’ve discovered.

When the Equalists came over the border, the rules changed, but the game remained. Politics was still a game of slight-of-hoof, but now it was about convincing the populace that we were winning. Not an easy task in those early days, I can tell you.

A country which lacks the conviction to fight will die. A country which believes the cost is too high will capitulate. Sometimes, this takes the form of surrendering to the enemy utterly, which is an obvious death. Sometimes it means compromising with the enemy, negotiating a temporary peace and praying that the peace holds. This is a subtle death, one which may take many years as you convince yourself that the enemy won’t come back. But the enemy is under no such illusions. They will come back, and then you will die.

The Equalist philosophy is a monstrous one, promising liberty while ultimately being founded upon tyranny. It cannot coexist with a free society; if they meet, one or both must die.

In the opening months of the War, our danger was that of the obvious death – that our nation would be too frightened, to appalled by the bloodshed to fight. Then, once the tide had been turned through immeasurable sacrifice, the danger was in the subtle death – that we’d settle for a half measure and end the War before it was finished, only to fight and lose later.

We had to see it through.

And that meant I had to play a different sort of trick. Keep their eyes off the casualties, and on the victories. Show the sacrifice, but never too much blood. Demonstrate what prize that our soldiers’ lives had bought, and make into martyrs all who were burned upon the pyre of freedom.

I hated it. I hated every bloody minute of it.

Those soldiers were heroes, are heroes. They deserve their accolades. They’ve done more for this country than an old fool like me ever could. They deserved every honor we heaped upon them and more.

But, Heaven, how I wish I hadn’t had to use them like props in my act!

You know what the difference is between ponies like me and ponies like Celestia, Luna, and Twilight? What we have in common, after all, is that we’ve sent thousands, millions even, to their deaths. But what’s different is that, while they had the honor of fighting alongside our brave ponies… I gave speeches. I held rallies. I toasted the soldiers at fundraisers and called for war bonds and blood donations… but I never shared a trench with the stallions and mares I did it for. Never heard the crackle of bullets or felt the rumble of the artillery. I have the blood of countless ponies on my hooves, but not so much as a single speck of mud.

I can’t tell you how low that makes me feel.

It’s funny; before the War, I was “Fancypants.” Socialite. VIP. Fop. During the War I was the “Trumpeter,” who sounded the great clarion cry to battle, while never setting hoof in it. Now, I’m just a washed-up old war-monger; a bloody-minded extremist who sent young ponies to their deaths for political gain, or profits, or rabid nationalism, or any number of other slights they heap upon me. In truth, I’ve had personas placed on me like masks since I first began playing the slight-of-hoof game, to the point that I sometimes wonder if I’ve just become a prop in my own show…

I wonder, sometimes…

…Ah, well! I’ve left the world of slight-of-hoof to ponies younger and better suited to the task than I. Now, I can give my darling wife the attention she deserves and spend time with my children and grandchildren. Let the country remember me as a monster, if it wills. I’ve done my part. Horrible as it was, I played my role well, and saved many times more lives than I was responsible for ending. What ponies think of me matters little in the end. Only what I did means anything.

And, who knows. If I’m lucky, perhaps history will come to remember me kindly.

Author's Note:

“No pony will ever truly comprehend the debt our country owes him; the sacrifices he made before, during, and after the Great War to ensure that we would not only survive, but thrive. He may not always have been the stallion that the country wanted, but he was the stallion we all needed. Words cannot express what an honor it was to know such a devoted servant of the realm. Nor can they express my grief at his passing.

May Heaven welcome you as its own, old friend. I pray that we shall meet again, some day, when War and Death are undone, and all the world is made new.”

—Princess Celestia, Diarch of Equestria