• Published 13th Oct 2018
  • 481 Views, 4 Comments

In his care - Featherflutter



While getting ready for a major concert, Octave realizes that Noteworthy has caught hay fever. It is up to him to get him better.

  • ...
 4
 481

Chapter 3: Requiem of a love song [Unedited]

Though his ears were used to the shuffling and murmurs of a music hall filled with patrons and aristocrats, Noteworthy felt it all pounding in his head, blasting his ear drums since their eyes were on him and not his orchestra. His tempered nerves crumbled at the rumbling of the audience, bringing doubt to the forefront of his mind.

“Ready to sing your heart out?” Octave chimed in behind Noteworthy.

Suppressing a jump, Noteworthy turned to look behind him. Though his chest was pounding and his breath hitched every so often, he offered a weary smile. “As I’ll ever be,” He murmured.

“Dear Luna, you look like a mess. What’s got you so unnerved? I would’ve thought this was going to be a walk in the park for you.” Octave looked visibly worried.

“I’ve got a lot riding on this performance. I have no doubt that you will do well. I’m more concerned about how I will do.” Note slumped his front legs, releasing some tension that he had forgotten he was holding onto. “I’ll be fine. Let’s just rock this out, alright? You and I, the best tag team out there.” His voice grew with enthusiasm, but how long it would last was anypony’s guess at this point.

Octave gave a small half-smile. “After you, friend,” Octave nodded with his head to the closed off stage. A chair and a microphone the only things on it at the moment, waiting to be used properly.

They took their positions and the curtains opened, a roaring applause erupting from the crowd, even before the duo starting performing. Their fame was well known, their skill matching the expectations of their audience, not needing to prove once again why they were so well liked amongst upper socialite society.

Once the applause died down, the air stood still, all mouths staying shut so not to disrupt the performance.

The soft pull of the cello’s strings sent out its dulcimer warmth as the tone carried through the great expanse. Following suit was Noteworthy, his rich baritone voice surprising the crowd as he complimented every harmony with his melody.

Through the trials of time and fire,

We stood sturdy and raised higher,

It was then that my love for you grew,

The happiness you brought me, oh if you only knew...”

Ballad after balled, sonnet after sonnet, lamentations and reparations, the set of songs was almost over, the last of Noteworthy’s songs being the shortest, giving Octave a break. By then, he was sweating, considering how much effort it took to play an instrument compared to just singing, though it didn’t bother him all that much. The pieces were turning out amazing so far, helped partially by the additions he had made, but that was a thought for another time. Octave looked to Note, who was looking a bit ragged himself, and gave him a nod to signal that he was ready.

Noteworthy stared into Octave’s eyes, smiling and swelling with nerves and excitement. This is it. This is what it’s all come down to. I could just stare into those amethyst eyes all day, Noteworthy sighed, But I have a job to finish.

“I’ve finally got the guts to say,
The secret I have kept for far too long,
I have faith in you, I’ll kneel down and pray,
That everything does not go horribly wrong.
Everything you do makes my day!
And even better when I tag along,
With that said, I must no longer delay
The real meaning behind all of these songs”

Noteworthy turned back, staring once again at Octave, who stopped playing, thinking something was wrong.

“The truth is I am rather very gay,”
Octave’s eyes widened, his mouth opening, as if to say something, but nothing came out before:

“For you, my love, my feelings are so strong”

The audience gasped as Noteworthy took Octave’s cello and sat it down to the side, lifting the shocked stallion from his seat. “This was all for you. Sorry I had to make you work for this event, but there was only one pony I could trust to do something as bi-”

Octave cut him off by lunging at him, forelegs wide, embracing him, “You have absolutely nothing to apologize for. I loved this, and,” Octave paused for a moment, It’s all coming together. The lyrics, the books, everything, Images of the times they’ve shared travelled through his head as he confirmed his decision, “and I love you!”

The audience behind them burst out in applause, cheering and whistling. While it wasn’t the longest concert, or had the most recognizable songs, it would stick with those in the audience the most. It would mark the end of a friendship, and the beginning of something so much better.

Author's Note:

I needed to finish this story before I finish Shellshock. This ending, I feel, was a bit rushed. I will work harder to make the ending to Shellshock 10X as good as this one. The poetry, or songs, in this were not my best work. Let me know if I should look for a way to publish some of my other semi-decent poetry. Thank you, once again, for reading my stories.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment