• Published 13th Oct 2018
  • 3,334 Views, 60 Comments

The Dance of the Sun - Georg



All things die. Princesses just do it more than once.

  • ...
4
 60
 3,334

A New Dawn

The Dance of the Sun
-
A New Dawn


Princess Luna emerged from the fog that surrounded the realm of the handsome stallion, trying to keep her smile from breaking out into a dance of her own. Instead, she glided forward with her wings tucked to her sides and gave Mortis a polite nod, which he returned from where he stood next to his telescope and star charts.

He had made a terrible mess of his stars again, which only bothered Luna in the slightest as she stopped at the edge of the picnic cloth he had spread out across the moonlit grass and the open wicker basket placed upon it. The most delightful scent of watercress and curried egg salad sandwiches made her nose twitch, and while she was trying to work up the willpower to say the words she had been rehearsing for the last few hours, Mortis stepped forward instead.

“My beautiful Dark Lady,” he said in that rich, deep voice that made Luna’s mind wander into thoughts of chocolate. “It has been far too long since my realm has been blessed by your presence and my sky by your talent. You seem troubled this fine evening, and we have much to discuss under the stars, but I would know what secret you hold that causes you such distress first. Please.”

“M’Lord Mortis,” started Luna as her smile overwhelmed her self-control, “I am now an aunt, and you are a father. Her name is Dawn.”

Comments ( 46 )

And, of course, the final chapter my readers expect.

I only have one question: if she was reborn how did she become pregnant?
I know the mechanics behind pregnancy but the aspects of differing realms and rebirth leave me scratching my head a little.
Magic is probably the only reasonable answer.

And this is the kind of thing I hope I can create someday.
Perfectly balanced, conveys a deep emotion without an overload of words.

I bow to your magnificence. :twilightsmile:

9227562 Hey, six years of daily practice and a lucky shot. If I could do this routinely, I'd write for money.

9227557 Well, when a mommy being of near-infinite power and a daddy being of near-infinite power love each other very much, and have a few hours to themselves away from the rest of the troublesome world...

This is a lovely story. And happy giddy Celestia is adorable. :twilightsmile:

Hopefully Dawn is an Alicorn so he'll get to meet her more than once.

Cadence's, Twilight's and Flurry Heart's first meetings with Mortis might be interesting as well.

I imagine a follow-up to this chapter which is just Mortis Kool-Aid Manning his way into the palace to meet his daughter.

Unlikely, sure, but it amuses me.

Oh yeah!

I kinda want a sequel where Twilight and Cadance show up. I am willing to be that Pinkie will definitely make a stop and stay for a bit once she passes as well.

That was lovely, Georg! I especially enjoyed Luna's prank at the end.

Or was it?!

Well done, my friend. Hope to see you at Everfree or BronyCon.

Yay, it got posted!

It’s a delightful little story, and Celestia in the joyous effects of a far-too-rare afterglow is especially sweet and charming!

Though this type of subject always does make me feel bad for poor Shining Armor as the one mortal member of the Royal Family...

Wonderfully entertaining.

GOOD EVENING
“Good evening, how are things on your world these days?”
OH, THE USUAL. I’VE TAKEN UP TRAINSPOTTING YOU KNOW. I HEAR YOU HAVE A DAUGHTER NOW? MY GRANDDAUGHTER IS LOOKING FOR A NEW NANNYING JOB...

Wait, what? Is Dawn pre- or post-banishment? Enquiring minds want to know!

(I'm also getting a Buffy vibe here)

9228319
The very first chapter says it's after Luna's return.

9227788
Honestly? Same! Twilight's initial panic when she's told, then her fretting and nervousness, and then her own looking forward to the visits.

I feel like Pinkie would come back for go-arounds? As I understood a previous chapter, non-alicorns could theoretically return to life?

I have to say, this was quite enjoyable with a touch of myth and an almost enigmatic feel to parts. Nicely done.

HE'S CHEATING ON CELESTIA?!

FTL

9228523
Colour me perplexed. What makes you think that?

9228138
Discworld's Death talking to Mortis, I presume? If so, I like your style.

9227537
Well Georg, another neat little story with so much packed into so few words.

And, of course, the final chapter my readers expect.

As usual, you are a complete failure at disappointing us. :twilightsmile:

9228490

I assume for non-alicorns it's standard reincarnation. They die, then return to earth as a new pony.

It would be very Pinkie if she retained the memories of past lives, though...

Pfffft-ahahaha! :rainbowlaugh:

Oh dear. I wonder how Celestia explained that one to the nobles? Twilight probably would assume it was parthenogenesis, while Cadance would be re-examining her shipping chart.

But the real question on your readers' minds: Was an egg involved?

9228559
Well, Celestia is clearly in a relationship with him, but he's Luna's child's father . . . unless I'm mistaken . . . ?

9228958
They share, obviously.

9228958
luna said that she was now an aunt and he was the father, implying that during celestia's last visit when they 'got busy' she became pregnent....don't ask hwo that works alicorns are magic beings

thats going to be a thing to tell the kid though
momma whos my daddy
death itself mydear is your father


scard for life much?

9228971
they do, but luna isnt the one whos pregnent.

9228971
They share . . . having it . . . with him . . . It just doesn't feel right . . .

9228983
its called a herd deary, welcome to ponydom
one stalion, multiple mares quite common, especialy when you consider equestrias gender bias...thers like 1 stalion for every 20 mares....its kinda hard to be monogamous with that sort of setup, especially when your society is female dominated.

“M’Lord Mortis,” started Luna as her smile overwhelmed her self-control, “I am now an aunt, and you are a father. Her name is Dawn.”

Nice.

9228993
I guess . . . but the Princesses, really? I know that he's the only immortal stallion but . . . I see it, I understand, but I just don't like it. SImple as that, I guess.

9229044
you don't have to like it, and clearly not every pony in equestria is poligamus, cadence and shining are a stunning example of monogamy, as are the cakes...and if it makes ya feel beter remember, not cannon, in the show the rules of equestria regarding love are very much monogamous though you can count the number of confirmed pony couples one one hand...

9229044
were all diffrent we all have diffrent tastes, if it squicks you it squicks you, i wont fault you for that its your world view and your opinion and thus is your right.

9229099
Thanks. :twilightsmile:

And I like your word choice of 'squicks' . . . :raritywink:

9229044
From my interpretation, Celestia and Luna are the only guests he has that ever return, hence he has a special relationship with both of them. It is not necessarily the same kind of relationship with each of them, as made clear in the second chapter:

“Oh, we talked. A little. And we danced. As well as… other things this time,” admitted Celestia with a youthful giggle. “I almost think he is looking forward to your visit as much as he enjoyed my own. In a slightly different way, of course.”

“He always makes such a mess of the sky,” admitted Luna. “By the time I have it organized and we discuss the matters which have passed in my absence, it is nearly time for me to return. Besides, I prefer my romantic dalliances to take place for more than one evening every decade or two.”

He goes out of his way to entertain both returning guests, but things are obviously more intensely romantic with Celestia... Luna has a nice picnic with him and they work on the stars... she doesn’t really look for anything more, because she takes lovers while she’s still alive.

That said, the way Celestia stressed that Cadance was married suggests that she knows Death might get ideas otherwise.

9228958
What? Did you and half the other people in here not read the story?

“Besides, I prefer my romantic dalliances to take place for more than one evening every decade or two.”

From the previous chapter, Luna pretty much states here that she's got no interest in being in a relationship with Mortis.

“M’Lord Mortis,” started Luna as her smile overwhelmed her self-control, “I am now an aunt, and you are a father. Her name is Dawn.”

How do you even misunderstand this? Luna says she's an aunt and Mortis is a father. Luna is an AUNT, not a mother, and the only logical conclusion is that Dawn is Celestia's and Mortis' child.

9229187
oh, miss read the Aunt part! :rainbowwild:

Oh Celestia, you naughty princess. From the sound of things, it seems surprising that this hasn't happened earlier. But, to be fair, if they only meet every couple of decades...


9228708
Alicorns lay eggs? Now there's a headcanon.

FTL

9229738
A Georg reference:-
Twilight Sparkle Lays an Egg

Another Georg story that did not quite work out how most players in the play expected... of course, with Twilight, a misunderstanding and magic involved, this was inevitable... :twilightsheepish:

9229801
I see. Thanks for linking that, it was a hoot!.

You're alright, georg, keep up the good work.

Huh. The birth-death cycle is only a decade or two? I'd think Cadence would've already met Mortis by this point. And if Flurry arrives in his realm during her teenage years... :twilightoops:

In any case, lovely little romance, and that stinger at the end... Well, at least no one's expecting him to pay child support.

Yeah, I die all the time. It's annoying. Usually keep buying new clothes because... well... you know what happens to yer bowels when ya die. :pinkiesick:

WOAHHOLYS:yay:!!!!


Sequel?

EDIT: Dear sweet Celestia I just realized I have read some of your previous works before........:facehoof:

9255936
.............

Ok then.........?

That... could have been a strong ending. It had the right idea!

The story was about Celestia. She dies and comes back. There’s a stallion/spirit thing that she has a relationship with. It’s an inconvenience and a bit silly. Kay, following.

Then, you go out of your way to have Luna tell that stallion of a daughter he won’t see til she dies. No Celestia. Just side characters, story-wise, having a huge reveal... for the focus of the story.

Undeveloped character has a baby woo?

...what?

The first two parts were great. The last one is surprising and has potential for a sequel but to me the story itself felt completed with the first two.

A beautiful story...

Login or register to comment