• ...
12
 142
 3,151

Chapter 20: Down by the River

"Hope I'm not late for the party here." Wallflower says confidently.

"We're just getting started." Starlight huffs.

Mr. Jammers plops a giddy Spirit into your arms, who greets you with the usual arm gumming.

"So, what made you three change your minds?" you ask.

"The little one really missed you." Wallflower sighs, watching the silly baby giggle in your embrace. "Plus, Mr. Jammers INSISTED we come back here and help-"

The thick plant gives her a light shove. "Okay, okay, I kinda......sorta....felt bad." she mutters. "And I didn't wanna leave my friends hanging."

"Awwww, Wally." you coo. "You're gonna make me blush."

"Oh, whatever, now can we PLEASE get out of here? I've gotta save whatever shred of dignity I have left."

"Hey, you're hanging with us now." Star scoffs. "Dignity's got nothing to do with it."

Mr. Jammers lunges out from the floor and gingerly slithers over, leaving a trail of dirt crumbling off of his kicking roots.

"Wait, when has Mr. J been all snake-like?" you ask.

"Cool, right?" Wally chimes. "I discovered he went through quite an evolution."

"Heh, cool."

As you all head for the balcony, you spot a damaged crystal shard from Fang's staff on the floor. The mysterious item violently hops around the crumbling room, blasting away at anything in it's path with red hot lightning. There, a furious Fang punches his way out of the wreckage and notices the same bouncing half.

Caught staring at each other, you leap into a dash as he quickly crawls after the glowing stone. "Time to nut up or SHUT UP!" you roar.

[Ugh, that is SO 2009, man...]

The intensity rises at a rapid rate, the concerned pleas of your companions fade in your mind as you fall further into the harsh heat emanating from the unstable piece. Moments before total destruction, Starlight leaps in and clings to you yelling "NO!!!" as you snatch the shard out of the air, the impact sends a sonic wave that forces Fang back and engulfs you and Star in light.

As the smoke clears, it seemed like you're really seeing everything in a whole new way. Senses appear to be heightened tenfold, your skin is tingling uncontrollably, your heart's beating at the speed of light, it's as if you've sampled the GOD of all drugs. What you first notice is a shaking Starlight, still holding onto your body, finally back to her bright, radiant coated self.

"St-Starlight." you moan. "H-How are you feeling there, huh?"

The rejuvenated unicorn releases you and rises to her hooves with a confident smirk. "Heh.......I feel AWESOME again." she chuckles, horn glowing brightly.

Glimmy has earned major SHWING! points.

"Pal, look out!"

Quick as ever, you lunge in front of Star as a beam of evil magic barrels toward your hands. To everyone's shock, including yours, a glowing green shield floats around at your fingertips deflecting the gruff dog's aggresive assault.

"How is this POSSIBLE?!?!" the beast growls, blasting your magical barrier repeatedly.
"I don't know!" you pant. "But I am both scared and stoked at the same time!"

The angry villain charges up all his energy and expels you all out the room and off the edge of the balcony. Free-falling from the tall tower, you grab Spirit as Wally grabs you as Mr. Jammers wraps around her.

"I can flyyyyyyyyy!!!" you cheer. "No, I can't!"

All of you are then yanked mid-air in a familiar light-blue aura and safely lowered to the center of the kingdom, to every resident's awe.

"Sweet CELESTIA, it feels good to be magical again!" Starlight says in excitement. "Don't expect to ace magic in just a few seconds, Anon."

"Say what you will," you scoff. "I just Winter Soldier'd his butt!"

"Quick, let's get outta here." Wally says. "This way. Mr. Jammers and I planned our escape."
"But, what about the gates?" Star asks. "How will we get through that?"

"You forgot already, pal?" you snicker.

Up ahead, you charge at the robust stone wall's gates and, with great force, punch the entire thing off it's hinges and into the lava moat below. "Magic UPGRADE!!!" you roar.

"I-I was gonna say the plan was Mr. Jammers could lift us over the gate." Wally mutters. "But, that works too, I guess..."

"Now, now, you can't leave Bone City without saying GOODBYE!" Fang's voice echoed.

From the bloody red horizon, a massive flock of vicious bats menacingly swarm around the castle before making a mad dash towards you.

"RUN, RUN, NOW!!!" Starlight yells.

The aerial infestation rain down upon you with blinding speed. Bats flap around everyone on all sides screeching at the top of their lungs. Starlight blasts every angle, turning scattered bats into harmless fruit bats as you and the team frantically make your escape across the rickety wooden bridge leading to sweet freedom.

"Whatever you do, don't look down!" you grunt.

[3.......2.......1.....]

"AH!" Wally squeaks, closing her eyes.

Your authoritah being disrespected long enough, you bitch slap the first bat that crosses your path, transforming it into a life sized butterfly.

"How do you control this mess, Star?!"

"Urgh, can't just use magic right on the first go, Anon!" Starlight grunts. "Takes ALOT more concentration!"

"What I'm concentrating for is some laser eyes!"

Through all the chaos, your giant, magically mutated creation scoops a bewildered Spirit out of the swarm and into the dark red sky. Glimmy disperses a good chunk of the swarm, allowing you to spring in and grab a hold of the insect's legs. The butterfly soars past the swaying bridge and throws you and Spirit off into a bush as it flys away.

"You.......you seriously think being an inch away from death is just downright hilarious, don't you, squirt?" you pant.

"Hee hee." the baby giggles.

Not far behind, Wallflower gallops into the gloomy forest with Mr. Jammers in tow. Starlight soon runs in horn smoking, finally vanquishing the swarm. "Is everyone alright?" she exhales.

"Nothing seriously broken, just muscles, and my bones." you utter. "Don't forget organs too."

TWANG!

Judging by the clumsily shot arrow that has just pierced the tree bark beside you, you deduce that now's the perfect time to haul ass. Spears fly over the tall trees the moment you take off deeper into the forest. Off in the background, you hear what sounded like a gun going off, trees collapsing with an earth-shattering BOOM and howls of aggression grow increasingly louder as everyone

"How are we even going get away from that psycho NOW?" Starlight groans. "We can't outrun them forever!"

"Don't worry." Wally wheezes. "I came prepared for that!"

The exhausted mare takes a sharp turn through the woods and leads you to a wide riverbank where a large and sturdy raft with sails made of leaves floats, tied to a mossy stump.

"A raft?" you mutter.

"We were putting this together before Spirit scurried off." Wally states.

"You really were gonna ditch us, weren't you?"

"Hey, I came back!"

"Less talky, more RAFTY!" Starlight says, hopping on the platform.

Wallflower cuts the rope, as you all board the rocking raft, sending it floating gently down the stream.

Slowly. Down. The stream.

"Can this river go any FASTER, Wally?!" you freak.

"Mr. Jammers!" Wally barked. "Full speed ahead!"

The slithering vine wraps his extended roots around the raft and plops his stem into the water, spinning faster than a boat motor and propelling the large hunk of wood at a brisk pace as Fang blasts his way out of the cluttered forest with his army in tow.

"Later, Furquaad!" you mock.

With a mighty roar and a wave of his staff, the mutated mongrel tears every surrounding tree from their roots, ripping them apart in a massive hurricane of magic.

"You might want to paddle faster." Starlight gulps.

"For what?" Wally utters.

Out in the horizon, you all spot a jagged, spiky, dreary looking ship floating after the raft, getting bigger...

And bigger...

And BIGGER until it seemed like a resurrected shipwreck was barreling down the river toward you with a magic trigger finger.

"PADDLE, JAMMY!!!" Wally screams.

Jammers frantically picks up the pace as spears begin to pierce through the sails. Despite the plant's incredible speed, the S.S. Death Ship continues to gain on the raft.

There, Starlight gives you a light shove. "Alright, Anon." she huffs. "It's about time I teach you magic, the STARLIGHT way."

You two share a small grin.

"Teach me of thy ridiculously powerful force, oh mighty Glim!" you bow.

"Lesson 1: teleportation!"

"Great......how do we do that?"

"First, clear your mind." the unicorn exhales. "Channel your energy, feel it flow through your-"

"UURRRP!!!"

"......ya know what, leave that up to me."

In a flash, Star teleports the both of you onto the ship's deck where a group of dogs charge head on.

"Lesson 2: offense!"

Charging all the magic within her, the unicorn manifests a small sphere of magic and sends a guard flying into the river. "Your turn." she nods.

You clear your mind and feel a warm sensation flowing from arm to hand as a guard charges for you. Forming a flashing ball of energy, just as you're about to fling it, it unfortunately slips out of your grasp and hits the floor with a sad and pathetic POOF.

"Fart nugget!" you cringe.

A beam of light strikes the guard lunging at you and turns him into a defenseless pup. "Don't worry, you'll get there, Anon!" your pal grunts, dodging and shooting through the horde of dogs.

"URGH, I'll NEVER get this right!" the floor suddenly shakes the moment you stomp in anger. "Magic is so FRUSTRATING!"

The second stomp trips the horde over.

"That's it!" Starlight gasps. "Anon, get mad!"
"Why?!"
"Just do it, anger is the key!"
"I'm just annoyed right now, make me mad!"
"Um.........Vol. 1 is WAY better than 2!"
"NO ONE DISRESPECTS MY BABY GROOT!!!"

You charge head-on into the confused horde, knocking dogs left and right off of the massive ship with magically enhanced punches as Star goes target practicing. Spears were flying, dogs were howling in defeat and magic was screaming through the air, narrowly missing the flimsy raft ahead. Soon, you two battle in perfect sync like an Iron Man/Hulk tag team, jettisoning the dead weight from the fearsome vessel in a kickass duet. Your waifu pal's epic agility and skill left you in awe.

The fun is cut short, however, as an enraged Fang slams his fists on deck and knocks you down. "I've gotta hand it to you." he growls. "You are incredibly tenacious!"

A ball of light violently shoves him aside. "We've evened the odds now." Star snickers, helping you up.

"Ah Nah!"

On the far side of the river, you see the frightened gang frantically waving around.

"Guys, what are you doing?!" you holler.

Their jumbled up signals, plus the amount of predictability in this trope-filled world, your only guess is a raging waterfall that the ship was JUST about to tip over...

That was a late prediction.

Before you and Star could abandon the tilting ship, the slippery deck sends you two down the high drop, roughly landing on a large branch protruding from the cliff's edge as the dog ship plummets and disappears into the mist down below.

"A little magic please?!" you grunt, clinging to Star's hooves as she dangles dangerously over the falls.

The unicorn hangs there, motionless. The landing got her.

"Pal, WAKE UP!"

Your efforts to awaken the unconcious pony end in failure. The branch supporting your combined weight snaps and begins to fall before getting abruptly caught in mid-air.

["THANK CELESTIA!!!]

Soon, a buff figure blocks out the sun catches your attention. Hovering over you was the Lead Douche Dog himself, cracking his neck with a devilish grin. "Any of you like to gamble?" he asks smugly.

"Oh, buck me." you groan.

"What are we betting on, you may ask? Nothing all that valuable, just your LIVES!"