• ...
12
 142
 3,149

Chapter 14: Budding Friendship

"So WHY do you guys take orders from the chihuahua again?"

"Scepter. Full of magic." one dog says.

"Scepter make Lead Dog Smarter." the other adds. "Make Lead Dog more powerful."

[Yet he doesn't have enough magic to help HEIGHTEN his options a bit.]

Traveling through the vast halls of the enormous kingdom, the dog guards escort you to a large, expertly crafted metal door. One of them opens a countless amounts of needless locks and latches. You wait for about 3-5 minutes for them to unlock EVERY single one before the tall doors dramatically open.

Inside is a room unlike anything you've ever seen.

There are enough fluffy as buck pillows to make a SKYSCRAPER, there's fine dog-related artwork and a pretty sophisticated decór. Topped off with a fabulous view overlooking the tough and hardened city. As you step inside, mouth agape, you suddenly hear the faintest sound of water running. You run past a silky curtain and spot a waterfall gracefully rolling down into a large decorative pool. 100% fresh too.

"Make self-"

Before the dog could finish, you dive at the edge of the pool and greedily shove your head into it. Your mouth had never been so satisfied.

"-comfortable." the guard finishes.

"Mm, I-I can take it from here, fellas!" you pant, wiping the water off of your face. The guards shrug and take their leave while you continue drenching the dry, unforgiving desert that you call your tongue.

"Ah Nah!"

You lift your dripping head to see your little scamp happily waddling towards you. "Spirit!" you exclaim. "I thought I'd never see you again, squirt!"

The baby unicorn tackles and clings to your arm, giddly gumming your slightly wet sleeve to oblivion. "Wah yah!" he gurgles in excitement.

"Heh, I-I missed you too, little buddy."

"Ama!"

"What's that?"

"Ama!"

You look up and see a glum Wallflower shuffles inside as the guards pull the tall doors closed.

"I don't know, let me get her attention. Hey, Wallflower!" you call.

The sullen mare continues to ignore you, slouched over and head hanging WAY low. With a look of exhaustion and despair, she lays across a soft bench in front of the waterfall, facing away from the both of you.

Spirit let's out a little whine and starts pushing you. "What do you want me to do here?" you hiss.

"Yah!" the colt squeals, trying to push you with his wee little hooves.

"Ugh, fine."

You take a deep breath before shaking the water off your shirt and hesitantly approach the mare. The awkward silence in the room puts you a little on edge, not even the sloshing water made it any better.

Soon, you squeeze into the remaining 10% space left of bench and sheepishly look over the mare. "H-Hey." you clear your throat.

"Hey." she sighs, still staring at the waterfall.

"That, uh.........that was some crazy stuff back there, eh?"

"Yeah. Totally crazy."

[Okay, time to cut the crap.]

"Is there something wrong?"

"Why does it matter to you?" she huffs, snorting like a bull.

"I-I was just saying-"

"Oh, nothing's wrong, Anon. It's not like I just got coltnapped against my will, handled harshly or forced to leave the safety and comfort of my home to guide you all to an oblivious town or anything. Everything's. Just. PEACHY!"

[Wait, 'oblivious'?]

"You mean Ponyville? Why'd you say that? That doesn't sound like it at all."

"Because I used to LIVE there."

[What a TWIST!]

"How long ago was that?"

"Would it even matter if you knew? Nopony noticed when I came, and they never noticed when I LEFT. I lost count on how long that was."

"Strange. When I first arrived, everyone greeted me with open hooves."

"Great. At least YOU were acknowledged, I can barely keep anypony's attention."

"Do you TRY to get their attention?"

The grumpy pony looks away from you with a look of embarrassment, still silent.

"You never bothered to actually interact with anyone, did ya?" you ask. "Hey, if you're shy, I understand. But if Fluttershy could......mildly overcome her fears, surely you'll-"

"I CAN'T!!!"

A startled Spirit ducks behind your leg for protection. You notice Wally's heavy panting and grinding teeth as she continues fuming. "No matter HOW hard I try, I just can't make at least ONE friend without making it weird and awkward!"

"I'm your friend. And you didn't seem to have a hard time talking to or 'making it awkward' for me or Starlight before."

"Uh huh. You don't consider almost being strangled by one of my plants as 'awkward'?"

".........apparently?"

"URGH, why should I even try anyways?! They'll just turn their backs on me like always! Ponies look at my prized azaleas for ONE second, then move along to this 'Roseluck' girl and act like I don't exist from then on! With plants, they never judged me. They'd never abandon or forget about me. They love me for me and don't treat me like I'm...........invisible."

After a moment of silence, the heartbroken mare buries her face into hooves and starts sobbing hard like no other. Seeing a pony like her THIS hurt just tore you apart and crushed your heart to dust.

"I miss him so much." she squeals, voice cracked. "H-He was my best friend.........my only friend. I-I raised him since he was a seedling. We took care of each other and now he's......h-he's........oh, it's all my fault."

Wally ducks her head back into her hooves. Spirit slowly hops onto the bench and wraps his little hooves around the mare's sleeve. "Yahyah." he coos softly.

"W-What is he doing?" she sniffles.

You scoot closer to the confused mare and wrap her in a warm hug.

"W-What are YOU doing?"

"Hugging you." you state. "Is that a problem for you?"

"I-I.......I don't know..."

Soon, she lays her head on your shoulder and hesitantly pats your back. "I.....I-I kinda....i-it feels.....nice?"

"Of course, NO pony can resist my insanely powerful displays of affection!" you say cockily.

"I d-don't think I've ever had a hug before. I.....I like it." She chuckles, wholeheartedly returning the hug.

"I'm sorry." you say, patting her back. "He tried his best to protect you. He would've wanted you to move on. I kinda feel partially responsible here."

"I-It's okay." she stutters. "You're right."

"I'm sorry, again."

"For what?"

You kneel down and splash some water into Wally's face. She laughs, reaches down and splashes in your face with a hoof. Cackling with the pony, you both playfully shove each other around a bit.

Soon, Wallflower squeaks in surprise as you accidently push her into the pool with a big SPLASH.

"W-Wally?" you stutter sheepishly.

Nothing but bubbles hit the surface.

Suddenly, the soaked mare leaps out of the pool and roughly pulls you in with her. You kick and thrash around underwater before swimming back to the surface laughing your ass off.

The sneaky pony giggles uncontrollably as she wipes her waterlogged mane from her face.

"Well played, Wally." you gasp.

"I try."

Out of nowhere, Spirit leaps onto your head laughing. "Oh, I haven't forgotten YOU."

You drop the squealing baby towards the pool and into your hands, shielding your face from his gleeful splashing. Eventually, your eyes widen as a thought occurs to you. You quickly reach down in the water and pull your soaked player out.

"Dang..." you groan.

"A-Anon, I am SO sorry!" Wally squeaks frantically. "I-I didn't mean to.......I-I was only trying to-"

"Gotcha!" you exclaim. "Starlight put a waterproof spell on this long ago."

You jump out of the pool and use your slippery shoes for maximum rug cutting. Spirit follows, gleefully using the floor as a slip 'n slide.

"What are you......doing?"

"Jamming out." you state.

"Is THAT what it's called nowadays?"

You pause the song and stare shocked at the jamless pony. "You got a better name?"

"I don't know. Never danced before."

Your heart stops. "You w-what?"

"I've never......danced before?"

"It's settled. One way or another, you shall DANCE!"

You try to break in some sweet moves only to throw your back out with a loud POP.

"A-A little help here?"

Wally trots over and kicks your spine. "Thanks, Anon." she sighs.

"Ugh. For what, exactly? Cheering you up?" you wince.

"For letting me buck you in the back, a real stress reliever. But thanks for that too, I guess. I needed that."

"Heh, anytime.........friend."


Author's Note:

Bring it in!
🤗🤗🤗