• ...
12
 142
 3,148

Chapter 1: Prancing with Myself

Wind.

All you hear is the wind blowing. All you SEE is a field. An empty, endless, silent field with the breeze being the only sound present. The sky is clear, not a single fluffy cloud in sight. The true embodiment of peace.

"Anooooon." a voice echoes.

There, you jump in surprise and look around for the source. Everything grew silent once more before another "Anooooon" echoes across the landscape. That all too familiar voice lures you towards an open field full of flowers. As you trudge through the patch, stray colorful kites flutter about the clear sky until you reach a steep hilltop.

And there she was.

Standing at the tip of the hill was none other than your best pal Starlight Glimmer, maneuvering a blue box-kite, with a plate of tea cakes beside her. Her eyes shined brighter than a radiant starry night as she turns to you, giving you an expectant smile. With your signature dopey grin, you sit beside the unicorn where she poofs a kite in your grasp. Although, despite the mare's 'knowledge' on these things, you still stand by the fact that kites are HARD to control and your arms tied up in kite strings was evident enough.

[Good grief.] you thought.

The unicorn giggles at your predicament while she untangles you. As you both work to wriggle you free, Starlight's hoof brushes against your hand, prompting you two to stare into each other's eyes. You looked at her. She looked at you. You looked back at her and she looked right back at you.

Those mesmerizing anime-sized pools of pure beauty melted your heart and every other organ in your body. The way she smiled and how gracefully her mane blew in the breeze has always left you speechless. But she did all the talking as she leans in, closing the distance between you both as her eyes become half-lidded; you follow her lead. It was just the two of you, no worries, no problems, no Pinkie. The whole Hakuna Matata. Just you, her and a plate of cakes. You loved it. It was a moment you'd wish would last forever, and it did...

For five seconds.

A centimeter away from scoring, your eyes jet open as you notice the sky growing darker with thunderous clouds blocking out the sun. Your pal turns your attention back to her with a reassuring smile as she moves closer. Before you could react, a bolt of lightning violently strikes your kite, electricuting you to oblivion.


"Anon! Anon, wake up!"

Jumping out of bed, you crane kick something small into the curtains. Eventually you come to and wake up.

"Huh, who-wazit?!" you mutter as you compose yourself.

You are Anon.

It's been almost a year since you've decided to live in Equestria with the ponies you have considered friends. Had some wacky adventures, partied till dawn, friendshipped really hard, the usual. No way you'd take them for granted or treat them badly...

Except one at the moment.

Suddenly, the curtains tossing and turning on the floor catches your attention.

"Well a good- ugh, morning to you too bro."

From the clutter emerges your dragon bro, Spike.

"Ah, I'm so sorry Spike. I had a...nightmare."

"You were a centimeter away, weren't ya?" he asks slyly.

You pause in your tracks.

"I-I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Aw come on Anon. Why haven't you asked her out already, huh?"

"Why haven't you asked Rarity out already, huh?"

Spike prepares to protest but hangs his head in defeat. "Point taken. But I'm working on it and so should you."

"I thought I told you it's INCREDIBLY weird for us humans to be in THOSE kinds of relationships with ponies."

"Yeah, you said humans get assistants if they do, right?" he asks.

"No, it's not THAT kind of aid-"

You sigh and remember that this is SPIKE you're talking to.

You'll tell him when he's older...

Probably.

"Nevermind, let's just get ready for work."

The little dragon heads out as you get yourself situated. "You two would make a cute couple."

"Hey, I said no shippers in this room!!!" you exclaim. "And even if I wanted to, I choke!"

The cheeky dragon snickers to himself as he closes the door behind him. You love the kid, but if he's gonna keep yanking your chain like that, there will be hell to pay. You finish getting dressed and head out, contemplating your bro's 'wisdom'.

[I don't know, should I ask her?] you thought. [Let's be rational about this. She's a pony, I'm a human. So different, and yet...so alike.]

You stop to reminisce the times you two have spent together. The way she smiled, her lavender-scented mane, those persian blue eyes...

[Nah, I'm not THAT desperate.]

That was a lie.

Whatever the case, you suit up, put on your headphones and make your way out the castle.

You jam out down the path to the school of friendship, getting a casual 'hello' or 'sup, bro' from the townsponies. You've been pretty well-known in Ponyville over the many months being here. Thankfully, you weren't known as 'Fluffy' there. What happens at the school of friendship STAYS at the school of friendship. Instead, everyone saw you as a great guy. You'd tell the epic "true" historical tales of Earth to Cheerilee's class on a weekly basis, like the time you mentioned the dark lord that is Michael Bay. You still get choked up thinking about that day all the colts started a...semi-fan club about you. But all fan clubs have at least one nut, and in your case, that was-

"OMC, hey there, Anon!"

You turn to see the aquamarine unicorn trotting towards you.

"Hey, Lyra." you sigh. "My day is fine, no I don't shave, and NO I'm not rubbing your belly."

"But can yooou...?" she hums expectantly. You groan in defeat, reach over and give her a quick scratch behind the ears.

"Eeeeeee! Bon Bon's gotta hear this!" she squees and gallops away.

[Like the other 58 times she told her that.] you thought.

Damn ponies. You knew this little mare meant well, but...

Jesus.

Eventually, you make it to the school, ready to battle all the grease and grime amassed by Pinkie, bad ass kids students. It was like a dream come true. Everyone there knew you. And everyone there LIKED you. All those days of work you're surrounded by nothing but friends. You're one of those few people who actually love their job. But there's one thing that you would look forward to...

And you bumped into her.

"Oh hey, you."

There stood the unicorn mare Starlight, a bright smile on her face. "How is your day, Anon?"

"I-I'm doing great." you stutter. "H-How 'bout you?"

"Eh, just like any other day." she shrugs. "Shame we have to work. It's actually beautiful out there."

"Like yo-" you pause as she turns to you. "Y-yeah, that's a pity. Perfect weather for flying kites."

[Dude, don't even think about hitting on- hey, did she do something new with her hair?!]

"Hm, there's always a time for kites, I say."

"Heh, yep."

[Come on, dummy! Go for it!]

"Um, Glimmy?"

"Yes, Fluffy?"

You cringe at the nickname, but you knew how she felt about friendly name calling.

[Tell her something already! 'Are you doing anything later?', 'Wanna hang out later?', hell, ask her if she likes goddamn CHEESE!]

With eyes like hers, it's impossible to focus on anything.

"I...you...y-you have something in your mane." you sigh.

[Buck you and your fragile emotions.]

You reach over and pluck a barely noticeable speck from her hair.

"Oh, thank you pal." she says, giving you a friendly shove before trotting off. "Well, see ya after school."

"Y-Yeah...see ya."

The bell rings, signaling the socializing students to head to class. Everyone scatters about to their respective rooms, leaving you alone in the hallways.

"Damn it..."

You mentally castrate yourself as you get to work.


Author's Note:

Welcome back my ponies.

Best B-Day evah!