• Published 17th Nov 2018
  • 6,482 Views, 245 Comments

Long Live The Empress - Mystic Sunrise



The once and future ruler of Equus is reborn. But what does this have to do with Twilight Sparkle?

  • ...
53
 245
 6,482

Pony Shipping

Sunset and Twilight both tried not to choke on their drinks as Cosmos finished her question with a perfectly innocent smile. The ponies around them at Sugarcube Corner pretended they hadn't heard a thing.

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked, trying to hide a blush.

Cosmos rolled her eyes. "I mean what I said. Do you two find each other attractive at all?"

Twilight and Sunset shared a confused look before Twilight responded. "I mean, I've always preferred girls to boys. Or mares in this case. But, me and Sunset? We only met at the Friendship Games, and we didn't exactly get along then. We do now, but I can't even like her like that."

She paused and gave Sunset an apologetic smile. "No offense Sunset."

Sunset's eye roll could be felt in Canterlot. "None took," she replied in a deadpan tone. "I've never liked girls or mares like that in my life. Boys or stallions for me."

She paused and smirked. "Though I know whoever does end up with you Twilight is a lucky mare."

Both ignored Cosmos' sudden coughing fit as they turned back to her after a moment. "Where did this come from anyway?" Twilight asked. "Did somepony say something?"

Cosmos shook her head. "No. It's just too satisfy my own curiosity. You'd be surprised how endemic the idea you two are a couple is across the multiverse. Even though it's never happened."

"How did it start?" Sunset asked. As much as the idea annoyed her, she couldn't argue she wasn't curious about it.

Cosmos sighed as she looked at Twilight. "Remember what I showed you of the Friendship Games and how you became Midnight Sparkle?"

Twilight nodded. It wasn't a memory she wanted to remember. But she did.

Cosmos ignited her horn. "I didn't show you the full story. You don't know how it ends in most universes." With a quick spell, she brought forth a small screen, much like the one she had used at Canterlot High before.

With shock and awe, Twilight and Sunset watched as the full battle played out. Sunset's transformation, her battle with Midnight, and finally, Spike's words getting through to Twilight, allowing Sunset to show her another way.

Twilight's hooves covered her mouth as the rest of the scene played out, ending with Princess Twilight and the Human World's Twilight meeting outside the broken Wondercolt statue as the Rainbooms looked on.

As the scenes ended and Cosmos dismissed the screen, Twilight wiped her eyes with a hoof. "I've had Spike since he was a puppy. He was maybe my only friend before now. I just never appreciated him as much as I should have."

Sunset put a hoof on her shoulder. It helped as Twilight gave her a thankful look. "Is that were this whole idea of me and Twilight being together come from?" Sunset asked.

Cosmos nodded. "Nine times out of ten, that is what the majority of those who think you two are or should be a couple used as the basis for it. The other is where it happened naturally, but it was really only here in Equestria with me and you Sunset."

That put an end to further conversation for a time as Sunset and Twilight digested this. It was a lot to take in for sure. Sure, Sunset had found Princess Twilight to be cute in her own way during the Battle of the Bands, but it never went very far.

She was a straight mare, through and through. Not that she had anything against the idea of course. It just wasn't for her.

Twilight on the other hoof was deep in thought. She could see where others would think she and Sunset could be something together based on what they had just seen. Heck, she might have even thought the same at one time as well if things had not gone the way they had.

But it was no good going down that train of thought. That future wasn't meant to be now. Things had changed the moment Cosmos had stepped in and faced her down at the Friendship Games and talked her out of that path. Something Twilight felt she would never be able to repay enough.

But that leads to another thing involving her and Cosmos. Twilight would not deny that she had been crushing on Cosmos. Hard, since the Friendship Games, and that had only grown the more time they spent together in Ponyville.

But Cosmos' relationship with Canterlot High's Crystal had meant she had never acted on her feelings. It wasn't right if the mare she loved's heart belonged to another. Twilight knew CHS's Crystal well enough to know it wasn't fair to her if she got in the way.

What Twilight needed was somepony who she could talk to and help get her feelings under control. Her friends could help, but she knew only Rarity had any kind of experience with romance, and the less said about those the better.

There was always Princess Cadance in the Crystal Empire. But Twilight still found it weird that Cadance was a princess, let alone a ruler of a whole kingdom. And married to her brother, and with a filly of their own. It was a lot to take in just from that alone.

Though if this Cadance was anything like her old babysitter, and now Principle, Cadance, Twilight didn't think it would be that bad. They had talked to each other all the time about this kind of thing at one time.

Maybe it was time to revive that. She was bored as it was and needed new something to do

Author's Note:

Yes, this is me unashamedly making fun of the Sunlight ship. I regret absolutely nothing I wrote or Sunset's and Twilight's reactions to it. Save the butthurt comments for someone who cares.

I will admit that I hate Timber Spruce as much as I hate Sci Twi and Sunset together. Only as friends will they ever be to me, and nothing will change that.

And yes. Cosmos and Twilight will be a couple by the end of the story. How they end up there I'm still working on. Canterlot High's Crystal won't mind too much.

There's enough of Cosmos to go around for both her and Twilight. No matter what Cosmos might say otherwise.