• Published 17th Nov 2018
  • 6,453 Views, 245 Comments

Long Live The Empress - Mystic Sunrise



The once and future ruler of Equus is reborn. But what does this have to do with Twilight Sparkle?

  • ...
53
 245
 6,453

Reopening Of the Orrery

With a pop, Cosmos and Twilight reappeared in the Grand Occulus. Luckily for them, the Orrery recognized its master and didn't activate its security against teleporting inside its chambers.

Twilight instantly turned green as the feeling of being shunted across a vast distance wore off. For a moment she fought to keep her breakfast where it belonged. "Ugh. How do unicorns do this?" She grumbled.

Cosmos chuckled. "Most unicorns don't actually. It's one of the more complex spells any unicorn can attempt to learn. I can only think of a few that I know that can do it."

Twilight nodded as her stomach once again settled. "Do I know any?"

Cosmos nodded. "Sunset does. I tried to teach Rarity several times awhile back." She shrugged. "She knows the basics at least. Whether she has the mana reserve is another story. It's possible she might one day do it."

Twilight nodded before the question that had burned in her mind for a time now came. "I saw the Blay Rouser. How do you have it? Is it the same as-"

Cosmos shook her head. "It's the same in form and function, but it is not Kazuma's. That one is his alone. This one I made myself." She gave Twilight a look. "How do you know Kamen Rider?"

Twilight looked sheepish. "Shining Armor is a huge fan. And I'm, kind of an off and on fan." She gave Cosmos a look. "So does that mean that it's real?"

Cosmos nodded. "An entire sub-dimension is nothing but Kamen Rider and Super Sentai." She chuckled. "I'm friends with the Overlord and the Cross of Fire, so we may visit someday."

Twilight smiled widely before she turned her attention to the room around them. It wasn't much to look at. Just a huge rock-cut chamber with two doors leading out of it. "Is this it?" She asked, gesturing around. "Not much to look at considering what this is supposed to do."

Cosmos smirked as she pointed at the ceiling. "Looks can be deceiving. Take a look above you."

Twilight gave her an odd look but did as she was told, and felt her mouth drop in shock at the sight of the great wheel floating serenely above them. Not only that, but she recognized it too. "Is that the Great Wheel?"

Cosmos nodded. "Yep. What you see is a map of every plane in this universe." She gave the two doors an irritated look. "I was hoping this would be up at full power by now."

Twilight blinked. "It isn't?"

Cosmos shook her head as she pointed at the far wall. "Not it isn't. Take a look inside and tell me what you see."

Confused, Twilight trotted over and took a peek inside. "There's nothing in here. Just a staircase that dead-ends in solid rock in both directions."

Cosmos nodded as a small smile formed. "Good. Stand Back. I'm turning these on."

Before Twilight could ask what she meant, she turned and saw that Cosmos had ignited her horn. But instead of its usual magenta color, now it glowed a solid black.

Even as she took that in, Twilight watched as she fired a beam of magic at a spot just above the doorway. Confused, she watched what happened next.

The spot the beam of magic hit began to glow. After a moment the rock dissolved into what appeared to be a pool of color that swirled with an inky blackness.

But that wasn't all. Soon a solid line of black began snaking its way up the wall and toward the center of the ceiling. Coming to a halt, the color seemed to flow down the walls. Soon what had been a solid black rock, now there was a muted brown color to it all.

Twilight was lost. "What did you do?"

Cosmos smiled as she turned to the other door. "I connected Equus with the Infinite Staircase. That doorway is the opening onto it. Just follow it up or down and you'll be on it. Now for the others."

Again igniting her horn, she closed her eyes as her horn swirled with a rainbow of colors. Again she aimed for a spot just above the doorway as she fired another beam.

Knowing what to expect this time, Twilight watched as a chunk of rock dissolved into a pool of many different colors, just like the magic that had made it.

As before, a line of color began to snake its way out of the color pool. But now there were three instead of two. One went to the ceiling like the first, but the other two snaked down and out into the corridor beyond. One left, and one right. Twilight didn't see the point for it though.

Until the corridor beyond was filled with a rainbow of different colors, all of them blending together in a way she had never thought possible."So what just happened?" She asked.

Cosmos smiled as she cut off her magic. It felt good to be able to do that again. She hadn't realized how much she missed having all her powers while she was still mortal until now. "Out there is a portal to every plane you see above us."

Twilight tapped her chin. "What about the Material Plane?"

Cosmos just smirked. "Go out the front door and you're there." Twilight just gave her a deadpan glare that made her smirk grow. "What? You thought it would be harder to get to?"

"... Maybe?" Twilight replied sheepishly.

Cosmos only rolled her eyes. "Please, give me some credit. I'm not that crazy. Usually." Now she smiled sheepishly. "Anymore."

Twilight decided to leave it at that. If Cosmos was her alternate, then she had a good idea of what her craziness looked like. Looking back up at the map of the Great Wheel, she allowed herself to get lost in its beauty.

After a moment though she noticed something that seemed out of place. She pointed at one place, in particular, one that was nowhere near the others. "What is that?"

Cosmos followed her hoof and frowned. "Ah yes, that one. That is Xoriat, or the Far Realm if you like."

Twilight sank to the floor as her eyes widened. "You mean it's real?"

Cosmos nodded. "Yes. Has Fluttershy told you about Discord?"

Twilight rubbed her head. "In passing. She didn't seem to happy about something."

Cosmos snorted. "At any rate, that is where he came from. How it reached Equus I don't know since I wasn't here when it connected or I would have sealed the Planar Breach."

Twilight tapped her hoof. "What about the Gatekeepers?"

Cosmos shook her head. "Equus doesn't have druidic magic. The closest is Zebrican Shamanism, but that wouldn't have been enough to close it. Not permanently."

Twilight took a piece of paper out of her saddlebags and began to write all this down. But doing so with her mouth was easier said than done. She made a mental note to ask the native Applejack or Rainbow Dash how they did it.

After a moment she paused as a thought came to her. "So, what exactly did that note say? Or is that secret too?"

Cosmos smiled. "No, it's not a secret. Someponies just want me dead in the worst way possible. Preferably without my head."

Twilight was aghast. "They what!? Why?"

Cosmos rolled her eyes. "Hidebound traditionalists who hate everything I've been trying to do since I ascended as an alicorn. Last I heard 90% of the nobles hated me and shot it down in parliament."

Twilight scrunched her nose. "That seems a bit extreme though. Wanting you dead for that."

Cosmos sighed. "Then there's the fact that they don't think my family deserves all they have. They don't see us as proper nobles, or some such nonsense."

Twilight tapped her chin. "Mom and dad always seemed well off to me. I mean, sure we weren't the richest around town, but we never were waiting for something."

Cosmos nodded. "True, and the same goes for mine too. But that doesn't mean a thing to those inbred idiots."

"Then why not send to Princess Celestia or Princess Luna? Can't they do anything?" Twilight asked.

Cosmos nodded. "They could, but there's a problem with that. Right now they have nothing to bring them in on. Nothing they've said or done so far is treason. Until they do, there is nothing we can do."

"How is that not treason? Murdering a royal is regicide." Twilight replied.

Cosmos sighed. "True. But none of this is new. Celestia and Luna have received thousands of threats like this over the centuries. None ever worked. The few that actually came within striking range of them... Well, they're still here aren't they?"

Twilight nodded, but she still was uneasy about this. "What about you though?"

Cosmos smirked. "I have far better and far more loyal protection than Celestia, Luna, or Cadance put together. Tell me. How much have you talked to the girls?"

Twilight thought a moment. She had an idea of who she meant. "Not much since they're still settling into Ponyville. Though Moon Petal said something about seeing a ghost when she saw me."

Cosmos chuckled. "Then let me explain. All the girls share a part of my power. In fact, theirs is one step below my own if they let loose fully. And they cannot be bought or bribed for their only loyalty is to me. Above and beyond whatever else they may have."

Twilight ran that through her brain. The idea was staggering. "You mean?"

Cosmos nodded. "Amber, Crystal, Diamond, Emerald, Ivy, Celestial, Ocean Breeze, Orchid, Moon Petal, and Water Lilly. Anyone who wants to try and kill me has to go through all of them before they even face me. None have ever survived one, let alone all of them."

"... So, does this place show anywhere else?" Twilight asked, changing the subject as fast as she could. She actually felt a little bit sorry for anypony who tried to hurt Cosmos.

Just a little though.