• Published 17th Nov 2018
  • 6,370 Views, 245 Comments

Long Live The Empress - Mystic Sunrise



The once and future ruler of Equus is reborn. But what does this have to do with Twilight Sparkle?

  • ...
53
 245
 6,370

Vacations In Another World

The group soon returned to the Golden Oaks Library. Cosmos figured Spike would be if nowhere else, and they had a lot to plan for now.

"Why is everypony looking at us?" Ocean asked.

Cosmos sighed. "They're still not used to me yet. I mean, they were still getting used to me as an alicorn. Now?" She said, flexing her wings and smiling ruefully.

"I thought it's been a week?" Diamond said. "Isn't that long enough?"

"We have been, kind of busy in another world," Emerald added. "We haven't been around town in a week."

Amber meanwhile gave the library an odd look. "You live in a tree? Is it even big enough for all of us?"

Cosmos smirked. "I've been living in it for a few years now actually as Town Librarian mostly, and local problem solver and national hero on the side." Her smile dropped slightly. "Besides, I've been thinking of moving out anyway."

"Why's that?" Crystal asked.

Cosmos gestured at the whole group. "Precisely because we all can't live in it. There's not enough room, and I'm technically only the custodian. Golden Oaks belongs to Ponyville."

"What about rebuilding Dream Castle?" Ivy asked.

She sighed as her ears drooped. "I mean, we could, but I don't even know where it was now. I keep feeling though that I've known this place longer than it's been Ponyville."

Amber, Diamond, Iv, Ocean, and Moon Petal all shared a knowing look. "There's probably a good reason for that." Moon Petal replied. "Why do you think we cam all the way out here in the first place."

Cosmos and her newest Exarchs shrugged helplessly.

Ocean chuckled as she waved a hoof at everything. "It's because this was home once. All this used to be Dream Valley at one time and then Ponyland after that."

Cosmos's eyes grew big. "Then the Everfree Forest?"

Amber nodded proudly. "Grew over the castle's ruins, with a little help from us of course. That place we slept was as close to the center as we could get it."

Her ears dropped in realization. "Oh no. Then when we were at the Orrery a few weeks ago..."

The girls chuckled. "You guys went right by us and didn't even know it." Diamond replied.

Cosmos only buried her face in her hooves in embarrassment. "And now I feel even worse."

"So what's the Orrery?" Lilly asked.

Cosmos sighed as she looked up. "Remember that odd place where we saw that great wheel?" The girls nodded. "That's the Orrery. It connects to every other plane of existence in this universe and several other worlds as well."

"And the Infinite Staircase," Ivy added.

"The what?" Orchid asked.

"The doorway Rainbow found that led nowhere but solid rock," Cosmos explained. "No wonder it did though. It won't otherwise until I was myself again."

"Why's that?" Crystal asked.

"Because I'm the one who made it, and I'm the only one who can tune it so others can travel to other planes or worlds. Everypony else just sees what we saw then."

Celestial tapped her chin. "So do you think we could? That sounds fun."

Cosmos rolled her eyes as she opened the door. "I don't see why we can't, but not for a while yet. Plus some of the planes are dangerous unless you're prepared for it ahead of time."

There was a distinct lack of ponies or dragons as the group stepped inside. She noticed a note laid on her favorite reading table though.

Dear Twilight.

We're all over at Sugarcube Corner. Pinkie said something about the doozy to end all doozies and grabbed all of us and rushed us over.

Celestia and Luna went back to Canterlot last week. Something about a lot of hard work finally paying off I think.

Cadance says she plans to bring Flurry Heart down as soon as she can so she can meet her new, cooler, aunt.

Love, Spike.

She chuckled. At least Spike seemed to be getting used to all that'd changed, though she made a not to help him stop calling her Twilight.

Ivy was confused. "Who's Twilight?"

She smiled. "That's my old name. Twilight Andromeda Sparkle."

Ocean tapped her chin. "Any relation to Twilight that helped Megan?"

Cosmos shrugged. "Not that I know of. It's something of a family tradition on my mother's side. She has the same first name too."

"Isn't that confusing?" Diamond asked.

She sighed. "Very. But we've learned to work around it."

"So what do we do now then?" Emerald asked.

Cosmos turned back to the door and began to leave, the girls quick to catch up. "Go over and introduce everyone at Sugarcube Corner."

"Do they have any food over there? I'm starving." Amber asked.

Crystal chuckled as she wrapped a hoof around her shoulders. "Just the best sweet shop in all of Ponyville. I'll point out all the best choices if you're that hungry."

"Sweets sound good right now." Moon Petal said as they wove their way through town, still getting odd looks. "I haven't eaten anything healthy in ages."

"Who needs healthy anyway? We could survive on nothing but junk food and still be fine." Cosmos added.

"Really?" Emerald asked.

Ivy snickered. "Oh, yea. The first thing we did last time was an all-night junk food party just to see if we could."

"Pinkie will be happy about that, that's for sure," Lilly said as the group came to the sweet shop.

Amber gave it a bemused look. "They meant Sugarcube Corner literally didn't they?"

Cosmos chuckled as she pushed open the door. "Yes. Yes, they did. But it's worked so far, so who's complaining?"

Inside the group was greeted by a large 'Welcome Back Empress Cosmos and or Twilight (we're still not sure yet!) and friends Party!" banner beneath which were her Ponyville friends and Spike in all manner of party get-ups.

She smiled. "Let me guess. Pinkie dragged you all into helping put this together?"

Applejack nodded. "Yep. Something about the doozy to end all doozies."

"And they're never wrong!" Pinkie added as she bounced over to the group. She finally noticed the new girls and let out a delighted squeal. "Why didn't you tell me you were bringing new friends?!"

Cosmos chuckled. "They're not new Pinkie. Just old friends I haven't seen in a long time."

Rainbow looked them up and down. "You guys don't look that old."

Amber snickered. "We're really heavy sleepers."

"How heavy?" Spike asked.

"Give or take six thousand years." Diamond replied. "And we're a lot older than that too."

"Um. How much older?" Fluttershy asked.

Ivy tapped her chin. "I think twelve thousand, give or take a few years. I never bothered to count."

Rarity gasped and ran up to Moon Petal. "Tell me your secret!"

Moon just smiled. "Sorry. Exarch only secret." She looked at the others. "Is she always like this?"

"Yes."

"Wait, Exarch. I thought ya only had five?" Applejack asked.

Cosmos nodded. "So did I. But-"

Further talk was interrupted by a knock on the door. Pinkie went to open it and let out a surprised gasp. Princess Celestia. Princess Luna. Nopony told me you were coming! I would've made more cake!"

Luna bowed her head. "This is not a social call unfortunately Miss. Pie. Is Twi- I mean Cosmos in?"

She gave them a confused look as they were let inside. Celestia bore a look of supreme annoyance at something. "Who crapped in your tea?"

Celestia ground her teeth. "No one." She took out a journal that bore a familiar cutie mark. "What is this about Sunset wanting to bring all her friends and your counterpart for, and I quote, 'An extended vacation'?"

Cosmos tapped her chin. "Well, that was fast. I didn't think they'd say yes so soon."

Luna shot her a glare. "You know about this?"

Cosmos just shrugged. "I'm the one who invited them in the first place, so yeah. I do." She shot them both a glare. "And if they do want to come, then come they will. They are under my protection as I invited them." She looked at Celestia intently. "Unless something changed while I was gone, I still have the power to do that as a princess. What do you think it will look like if you shoot this down for some petty reason?"

That shut them up. She was right of course. Neither was happy about this, but if Cosmos had done this of her own free will, then there was little they could do since power was meant to be equal between all of them.

Cosmos softened her gaze. "If you're worried about danger to either world, there is none. Both used to do it all the time. Equus would be a dead wasteland now if one hadn't happened."

"And what idiot thought it was a good idea to sever the Rainbow Bridge anyway?" Diamond asked.

Celestia and Luna's eyes popped in shock as they finally saw the new girls. Amber waved happily at them.

"You. You're..." Luna tried, but her voice dried up into a whimper.

"You're alive?!" Celestia finished in abject shock, right before falling to the floor out cold, followed soon after by Luna.

Amber looked at them in concern. "What's wrong with them?"

Cosmos rolled her eyes. "They think you're dead. Remember how I said Celestia and Luna had told me you girls were dead?" They nodded. "Meet Celestia and Luna." She said, pointing to the two unconscious alicorns on the floor.

After a moment Celestia came too, followed soon after by Luna. Both could only look at Amber, Diamond, Ivy, Ocean Breeze, and Moon Petal in shock.

Amber couldn't hold it in any longer and giggle. "Details of our deaths have been greatly exaggerated."

Cosmos groaned. "You've been wanting to say that haven't you?"

Amber was unapologetic. "Yes. Yes, I have."

Celestia shook her head as she looked again at Cosmos. "Questions of how this happened aside, I feel I must point out that letting Sunset and her friends come here is a bad idea."

Luna nodded. "Indeed. Aside from the fact that they know nothing of our world outside of whatever Miss. Shimmer and you have told them, what of their families and their lives over there?"

Cosmos nodded as her gaze softened. "That's why I gave them so much time to think about it. I'm not making them come. But if they do want to, then I will not stop them. It's going to happen eventually that the worlds will meet, for good or ill. I'm saving everyone a massive headache by doing this now."

"You mean like what you showed Twilight?" Crystal asked.

She nodded. "Yes. No matter what Midnight is still inside her, and I don't want to have to fight her."

"Dare I ask what you're talking about?" Rarity asked.

Cosmos shook her head as her horn ignited and a portal opened next to her. "You really don't want to know Rarity." She looked at her Exarchs with a serious expression. "And for the love of me, don't follow me this time. I won't take as long as I did last time."

"But-" Diamond began.

Cosmos shook her head. "Diamond, please don't make me make this an order. That world is different now than what it used to be."

"How different?" Ocean Breeze asked.

"I'll explain when I get back," Cosmos said as she looked at Celestia and her face softened. "Just, tell Sunset I'm on my way."

Celestia nodded as she stepped through the portal and was gone. Sighing she turned toward the girls. "Anypony have a pen?"

Pinkie ran off to find one. But everyone could see that Celestia was still upset about something.

***

Outside Canterlot High, the Humane 7, Principle Celestia, Vice Principal Luna, and Superintendent Faust stood beside the Wondercolt Statue. Sunset had already said that Cosmos was on her way. Now they just had to wait.

"Did she say when she'd get here?" Fluttershy asked.

Sunset shook her head. "Nope. Just that she just left Equestria and should be here any minute now."

Sunset didn't mention that there had been something else in that response. Not said, but she got the feeling that her mentor was not at all happy about something.

"You girls waiting for me?" Came a voice from behind them that made them all jump. Turning around they found Cosmos snickering at their expense.

"Very funny sugarcube." Applejack grumbled as they got their breathing back to normal.

Cosmos smiled broadly. "Oh, what's the fun of traveling between dimensions if I can't sneak up on people?"

"What about the portal?" Twilight asked.

"It's not open yet. And I'm not risking damaging it by opening it early just for us." Cosmos replied before she gave them all a serious look. "Now, are you sure about this? Once we leave for Equestria, this will be the last time you see home for a long time."

"How long?" Faust asked.

Cosmos shrugged. "I don't know. Months, maybe a year if you girls want to stay after the coronation."

The three administrators shared a look. "That is a very long time," Luna said.

Cosmos nodded. "That's why I'm asking now. If you girls don't want to, I won't hold it against you."

Sunset and the girls shared a look. Fluttershy still looked uneasy and Twilight uncertain, but no one said anything. They'd already arranged it with their families. "We mean it," Rainbow said. "You're not getting rid of us now." The others nodded.

Cosmos smiled before she turned back to the other three. "You don't mind any of this?"

Principle Celestia smiled. "I doubt we could stop them even if we tried." She tapped a box with a foot. "In case this did come up though, I've asked all their teachers to send the rest of the year's assignments forward."

Cosmos gave it a look. "All of them?"

Luna nodded. "This is to the end of the current school year for everyone. Though if they stay longer, then we might need to change that."

Rainbow groaned. "Great, and I was hoping we could skip school."

Celestia chuckled. "No such luck Miss. Dash. Only Miss Sparkle has a reduced load compared to the rest of you."

Everyone gave Twilight a look, who just looked sheepish. "I was already so far ahead at Crystal Prep, and it just carried over?" She said, twirling a bang of hair.

"And what if we're not back before the end of the year?" Pinkie asked.

"I'll send the assignments back over if that's the case," Cosmos added, smirking. "Don't worry I won't hold you to a school schedule."

"That's a relief," Fluttershy said.

Cosmos smiled before she turned to Twilight. "And since you're so far ahead, that gives us more time for magic lessons." Her gaze hardened. "I will warn you now, that it is not as easy or as quick as you might think."

Twilight gulped but held her gaze, nodding. Cosmos nodded as well. She could the desire to learn all about magic inside her. It reminded her of herself when she was younger. "I do have one question. Why don't you need glasses?" Twilight asked.

Cosmos blinked before chuckling. "Magical corrective surgery. Princess Celestia saw how bad my eyes were becoming as a filly and she paid to have them fixed for good. I've never needed them."

"Too much reading?" Spike asked with a smirk.

Cosmos nodded as she looked down at him. "Yep. You sure you don't want to come to Spike? We can find a way for you to fit in."

Spike shook his head. "Nope. I'm fine right here. Crossing worlds is not on my bucket list."

Cosmos chuckled as she let her power flow out and opened a new portal for the group. "Your loss then." She looked at the girls. "You guys ready?"

The girls shared a look. Sunset had filled them in on what they would need so their luggage had been shrunk down to they could carry in their backpacks.

"As we'll ever be." Applejack said as they cast one last look at Canterlot High.

Cosmos nodded as gestured at the portal. "Just watch that first step. It's a doozy. And try not to trip over your own hooves if you can."

Twilight was the first to step up. Reaching out a hand, she watched it vanish into the portal. It felt like touching the universe itself. Giving one last look at Principle Celestia, who nodded, she took a breath and stepped through.

One by one the others followed, Fluttershy still looked uneasy, but with with a little encouragement from Rainbow Dash, she too walked through. Cosmos was the last to as she picked up the box in her magic. She gave the administrators a smile, one they all returned. "We'll be back before you know it." And stepped through, the portal closing a moment later.

***

Celestia, Luna, and Faust stood there looking at where the portal once was for some time before anyone spoke.

"Do you think they will be alright?" Luna asked.

Faust nodded. "I think they're in safe hooves now."

***
Unknown to everyone that had been there, someone else had watched the entire scene play out. Seeing Cosmos, something had awoken within her. It felt like seeing an old friend she hadn't seen in a long time, and it took all her will power not to run over and join in.

And for the life of her, Megan Williams couldn't understand why.

***

When the portal reopened in Sugarcube Corner, nopony knew what to expect to come out of it. Certainly not five ponies who looked very familiar and Sunset Shimmer. Sunset managed to keep her balance, once her head stopped spinning that was.

The Humane 6 on the other hoof teetered for a moment on two hooves before falling flat on their faces with a resounding oof!

Cosmos returned a few seconds after that, carrying a heavy-looking box in her magic. She rolled her eyes at the pony pile before her. "I told you, girls, to watch that first step." She chuckled.

"This is so weird," Twilight grumbled from somewhere under the pile. Her whole body was tingling. She felt what could only be a horn on her forehead. But it was what was on her back that felt odd. They felt like wings. But that couldn't be right, could it?

Maybe it could though. Cosmos hadn't been clear when Twilight had asked her what she might be if she did come to Equestria. Either a unicorn, as Cosmos had once been, or an alicorn, but that didn't seem very likely.

As everypony removed themselves from the pile, accompanied by odd looks from their native counterparts and an occasional giggle, Twilight felt something unfold from her back. Looking back, her mouth dropped.

Yep, those were wings she had. Looking over to Cosmos to see if she had anything to add, she felt her eyes grow larger, and blush come over her at the sight she saw.

Following her gaze, her friends had the same reaction. Even Sunset couldn't help but feel it. "Cosmos. Is that you?" She asked.

She chuckled. "Yeah. This is me. The real me."

Crystal walked over to the group. "That was faster this time."

Cosmos rolled her eyes. "I was just going to get everyone. It wasn't going to take that long."

Now the newcomer's eyes widened even more as they took in everypony that was there to greet them, and then themselves as they finally noticed what they looked like.

"Okay. This is awesome!" Rainbow whooped as she took off and flew a lap around the room.

"This is, nice," Fluttershy said in her usual way.

Applejack and Rarity were too lost in figuring out what all had happened to them to add to the conversation. And Pinkie Pie...

"Wait. Where did Pinkie go?" Twilight asked.

Amber giggled. "They ran off to the kitchen together. Something about needing more party supplies I think."

Cosmos rolled her eyes. "Go figure." She smirked as she saw her native friends were still confused. "Well just don't stand there, guys. You have to have a million questions for our guests."

"A million and one actually." The native Rarity replied.

"Here's one for ya." The native Applejack added as she looked at her counterpart. "Where are they gonna stay? I don't mind her staying with us. But what about everypony else?"

"I claim this spot!" Pinkie called from the kitchens.

"And I do have an extra guest room. Storage for the moment, but I can have it ready in no time." The native Rarity added.

Cosmos nodded. "You guys don't mind?" She asked her human friends.

"I don't see why not." The visiting Rarity replied.

"Just one question. How do we know who's who?" Emerald asked as she gestured at Twilight and Cosmos. "It's easy for you two, but what about everypony else?"

Princess Celestia joined the group. "I may have a solution." Lowering her horn, she cast an Alteration Spell on the girls, one that gave them all a slightly altered look, enough so that everyone could see who was who now. Celestia raised her head. "That should help." Her gaze hardened slightly. "That this is not a permanent move to our world means this will vanish once you return home to your world."

The girls gulped. They could all feel Celestia was not at all happy to see them. Why was anyone's guess?

Cosmos saw it as well and frowned. "Celestia, can we talk a moment?" She put enough bit in it to show that this wasn't going to be pleasant.

Celestia nodded, feeling the bite as well. Leaving the girls to mingle with their native counterparts, the retreated to a far corner of the restaurant.

Cosmos gave her a hard look. "Alright, Celestia. What is this really about? If you're angry at me, don't take it out on them. They've done nothing wrong."

Celestia nodded. "No, they have not."

"Then what is it? They're here on my invitation and under my protection." Cosmos said.

Celestia nodded. "Yes, and I will not hinder or harm them while they are here." Her gaze hardened. "But the world is not ready for them, nor where they come from." She ground her teeth. "Not now. Not for a long time. And maybe not ever."

That finally did it for Cosmos. Her anger flared as she stomped a hoof. Celestia could feel the tremor it generated. "Not ready? Look around Celestia. Equus is an absolute cesspit! And frankly, Equestria is no better in some ways." She pushed her nose against Celestia's own. "And what gives you the right to decide what the world is ready for? You barely look beyond the borders now. When was the last time you talked to Queen Novo? The last time you did to any leader outside Equestria?" She bumped a hoof off Celestia's torc. "When was the last time you stood up for your ponies to another country? Maretonia will walk all over you when they visit."

Celestia's silence was all the answer she needed. "You've become fused to a broken, corrupt system, that should've died long ago. You've become wedded to broken traditions, ones that have no place in a modern world. One that refuses to accept modern things."

Cosmos stopped as it finally clicked. "That's it then, isn't it? You're afraid of the changes that will come, no matter what I do."

Celestia only nodded. There was nothing else to say as her head dropped.

Cosmos smiled as she lifted it with a hoof. "Celestia, no matter what you might think, the world is always changing." She snorted. "Ponies are conceited enough to think they can control or direct it, but they are wrong."

Celestia glared at her. "And what is that supposed to mean?"

Cosmos only smirked. "You've been infected with the same imbecilic thinking that's endemic among regular ponies. The world does not revolve around the equine species. It never has."

Cosmos looked her straight in the eyes. "You've known what my friends and I did most of your life. But at some point, you stopped believing in it. Maybe not all at once, but you stopped believing in what we did."

And Celestia felt her heart drop. For at that moment, she realized Cosmos was right. She had stopped believing in all she and the others had done. Not that they had. But why they had. A part of her could not believe that someone like that could be genuine. Maybe it was after the fall of the Crystal Empire, or maybe after Luna's banishment. But she had forsaken all she had once believed in.

Cosmos saw the point hit home and her smile softened. "I'm not made Celestia." She chuckled. "Heck, if I was in your shoes, I might have been the same."

Celestia let her gaze return to the gaggle of ponies in the room, who were slowly beginning to get used to their counterparts. "And I'm taking it out on those who don't deserve it."

Cosmos nodded. "That you're willing to admit it is the first step to improving yourself."

Celestia nodded, chastised but willing to change for the better. For a moment the two of them stood there together, watching the girls. The sight warmed Celestia's heart greatly.

She noticed though that Cosmos was being unusually quiet. She placed a hoof on her armor and smiled. "Cosmos. I may no longer be your teacher, but I am still here for you. You still must have questions."

Cosmos nodded as she sighed. "How long have you known it was me?"

Celestia's smile grew. "Since the night of your coronation. Luna and I had had our suspicions for some time before then." She looked at Crystal, Emerald, Celestial, Orchid, and Water Lilly. "But when you called out to them, then we knew for sure that it was you."

Cosmos nodded. "Did you ever think it was somepony else?"

Celestia nodded, somewhat sheepishly. "For a time, years ago, I thought Sunset might be you. But she never showed any signs." She smiled. But I still love her."

Cosmos nodded as she looked at Amber, Diamond, Ivy, Ocean Breeze, and Moon Petal, who were busy chatting with the newest Exarchs. "And what about?"

Celestia shook her head. "We truly did not know. We had always assumed they had died long ago." She paused. "Although."

Cosmos gave her a quizzical look. "Although?"

"That dream you mentioned the morning after your coronation. You said there were five more lights, just out of range." Celestia began.

Cosmos gasped as something began to click. "You think?"

Celestia nodded. "It was them calling back as well. But you weren't ready, so you did not see them as well."

Cosmos nodded. In all the excitement of the last week, she had forgotten that dream. But it made sense now that she thought about it. As she looked back over at Celestia, she noticed her giving Twilight an odd look. "What is it?"

Celestia smiled. "She reminds me of you when you were still my student." She gave her a knowing look. "You didn't bring her just so she wouldn't feel left out, did you?"

Cosmos smirked. "No. She is like me back then. She wants to learn all there is to know about magic." Her smile softened. "I saw in her what you saw in my all those years ago."

Celestia smirked. "So, she is your student then?"

Cosmos chuckled. "I guess she is. She needs the help and tutelage to control her own magic. I've seen what happens if she loses control of it. I don't want that."

Celestia was curious about that last part. But the look in Cosmos told her she might be better off not knowing. Something else though caught her attention, and it amused her to no end. While Twilight was obviously doing her best to mingle and talk to everypony, it was apparent that she was still getting used to having friends of any kind.

But what really stood out for Celestia were the glances she kept throwing at Cosmos. Glances that centuries of experience told her were more than just friendly. She smirked. "So. What do you plan to do about the little crush she has on you?"

Celestia couldn't help but burst into laughter at the roaring blush Cosmos gained at that. "Does she know you know?" She asked after a moment.

Cosmos shook her head. "I don't know, on either one. Does she mean it and wants to give us a try? Or is this just a first crush she'll grow out of?"

Celestia nodded. "And if she is serious about it?"

Cosmos sighed. "Then we'll cross that bridge when we get there."

***

Across the room, Twilight heard enough of their conversation to get her own mind rolling. Learning her new pony body was slowly coming to her. How ponies did this all the time was a mystery to her for the moment. Sunset though had taken to it like a fish to water.

But right now, her mind was on what Cosmos and Princess Celestia were discussing. And right now, she didn't know herself the answer.

Author's Note:

I admit. I trimmed down the bit between Cosmos and Celestia on letting Rainbooms come to Equestria from the original version. In that one, they made a big stink about it, and Celestia forbids them from coming, but Cosmos brought them anyway.

I realized later that Celestia and Luna have no legal authority to stop her from bringing them here. Cosmos still retains her title of princess, which means they're supposed to be equal in terms of legal powers.