• Published 12th Aug 2012
  • 8,454 Views, 682 Comments

To Err is Equine - RLYoshi



Everyone, pony, and thing makes mistakes. Not as many try to fix these mistakes, and even fewer succeed.

  • ...
43
 682
 8,454

PreviousChapters Next
41: A Break From Action

DATE: March 5th
LOCATION: Ponyville

[Perspective: Asylum]

I gasped, lifting my head quickly. I wasn’t sure when I fell asleep, but I hoped it wasn’t too long ago.

I looked left and right, expecting to still be sitting beside Arrell’s bed. Instead, I was in a bed of my own. Blinking, I slid out from under the covers, looking around some more.

Right...this is my room...well, mine and False’s. ...why am I here? The realization hit me like a club. Oh...duh. I probably fell asleep and they took me here...

Yawning a bit, I made my way out of the room and started trotting back to Arrell’s room. I heard what sounded like mumbling coming from inside. Confused, I opened the door.

Risk and False were sitting beside Arrell’s bed, looking at the sleeping Windigo in confusion similar to my own. Arrell was out cold (pun not intended), but seemed to be talking in his sleep.

“What’s wrong with him?” I asked as I walked up.

“Besides the obvious, I don’t know,” False replied tersely.

Risk took it upon himself to elaborate. “He started mumbling things about ten minutes ago. We can’t figure out what he’s saying, though.”

Now feeling a little worried, I sat down on the opposite side of the bed. “Do you think he’ll be okay?”

“He better,” the other mare snorted. “Somepony needs to hunt for articles, after all.”

Risk shot her a glare. “I think the rest of the Royal Guard are doing an okay job of it.”

“Wait...what?” I tilted my head, wondering if I heard wrong. “The Royal Guard?“

“Princess Celestia sent out some of the Royal Guard to retrieve articles that aren’t as dangerous as Ryu’s Headband,” the unicorn explained. “Just so we can get some of them out of the way while Arrell’s sick.”

“Oh...” I looked back at the unconscious Windigo. “How long will he be like this?”

Risk shrugged. “Maybe another day or two. He doesn’t have a fever in conjunction with this like he did last time, so it shouldn’t take as long.” He sighed. “This is his second period of evolution sickness, you know...he’s halfway to evolving.”

“...that’s...” I thought back to Frostfiend. He was a fully evolved Lord Windigo, and he was... “...scary.”


[Perspective: Arrell]

“You’re welcome.”

I sighed. “Yeah, yeah...thanks for waking me up and all that.”

Styx sat with her arms folded, an unreadable expression on her face. “Anything else you want to say?”

I glared at her. “No.”

She sighed. “Well, so much for that...”

“...you know, I still want you to leave me alone.”

“Why?”

I rolled my eyes. “You forgot already?”

“Arrell, I’m not going to leave you alone...but if you really don’t want me telling you where to go, that’s fine by me.” She sighed again. “Besides, with this whole ‘article’ business, you’ll probably be traveling a lot already.”

I nodded. “That’s probably a given...” The mention of the topic made me remember something. “Also...what happened to my powers?”

“Hm?”

“My powers. You know, my voice attack, Din’s Fire, bubble shield...?”

She smirked. “Do you really need those now? You did just fine without them.”

“...I got my ass handed to me twice in one day.”

“Then learn to get better. I only gave you those powers to get you started. Not my fault you didn’t take the time to train.”

“...really?” I gave her a deadpanned stare. “You’re leaving me with just my stupid ice powers? What happens when I have to go up against someone with fire magic?”

She shrugged. “You’ll figure that out if and when it happens.”

“And what about my flight? You took that away too!”

“No, I just took away your knowledge on how to fly.” She grinned. “That’s what you get for punching me.”

I gawked before regaining my composure and shaking my head. “That’s just unfair. I need my flight!”

“Get to relearning it, then.”

“...you suck.”


[Perspective: Asylum]

“He’s waking up...”

I lifted my head, unsure of whether or not I had actually fallen asleep. As False said, Arrell was beginning to stir, his eyelids slowly rising. Getting the signal, Risk got up and left to retrieve some ice.

As he did this, I reached down and rubbed Arrell’s shoulder. “Hey there...you okay?” I asked quietly, feeling like I was talking to a sick animal. Which, in a way, I guess I was...

He responded with a quiet mumble before he spoke in a somewhat clearer manner. “...no, the cat’s got it with the salad...”

...well, I did say somewhat clearer...

“Um...pardon?” I questioned, hoping I could get him back to coherent phrases.

“...yeah, I’m okay...” he mumbled.

I sighed in relief. False looked at him. “So how long until this is over?”

I glared. “False, he’s sick and half-asleep. Don’t bombard him with questions.”

She rolled her eyes. “You’re the one who was asking if he was okay.”

“That’s hardly a-” I cut myself off when I felt something grab my hoof. I looked down at it and saw that Arrell had turned around and was now holding onto my hoof like a stuffed animal as he let his eyes drift closed again.

False chuckled. “I think he thinks you’re a teddy bear.”

I couldn’t help but giggle. Risk came back at that moment with a bag of ice, which he poured onto Arrell and let him absorb. By now, the Windigo was definitely unconscious once more.

“Any reason why he’s cuddling your leg?” the unicorn asked as he sat back down.

I shrugged. “He just grabbed it before falling back asleep...I don’t have the heart to pull away.”

He laughed a bit. “Assuming he’d even let you. He strikes me as the kind of guy who’d have a steel grip even when he’s asleep.”

“You think you can watch him for a while?” False asked. I nodded. “Alright then. Come on, Risk.” She stood up, Risk standing up with her, and they headed for the door.

As they left, I looked down at Arrell and sighed. Someday...I’ll figure out what really goes on in your head.


[Perspective: Arrell]

...

...what if your legs didn’t know they were legs?

Author's Note:

Decided to go with Option B; character and relationship development. Had a bit of it this chapter; will be having more soon.

Also...we're now less than ten chapters from the end of the story. Granted, there's going to be a sequel and all, but we're nearing the end of this ride. Won't be long now until you find out just what I have in store...

PreviousChapters Next