• Published 12th Aug 2012
  • 8,470 Views, 682 Comments

To Err is Equine - RLYoshi



Everyone, pony, and thing makes mistakes. Not as many try to fix these mistakes, and even fewer succeed.

  • ...
43
 682
 8,470

PreviousChapters Next
40: Sickness, Round Two

DATE: March 3rd
LOCATION: Ponyville

[Perspective: Arrell]

A week passed since the incident with Ryu’s Headband. Most of our injuries healed up. The only one that was still worrying was Asylum’s right wing. Turns out it had more damage done to it than they thought, and it wasn't healing properly.

Now they weren't even sure if Asylum would be able to fly ever again unless she had some kind of expensive operation done. As it was, it hurt her just to open her wings, let alone try to flap them. She spent most of her time with me now, while Risk and False spent most of their time together and Nimble spent his time doing...whatever Nimble does.

Even though we were all healed - more or less - we were drained. Celestia sensed this and, instead of sending us after another article right away, let us have some time to rest.

Which was good, because wouldn’t you know it, it was time for another bout of evolution sickness.


[Perspective: Asylum]

I couldn't help but feel a sense of déjà vu.

I sat beside Arrell as he lay in bed, practically comatose. This time, thankfully, we were in a house in Ponyville that was at the very least in somepony’s peripheral vision most hours of the day. If anything suspicious happened, it’d be seen.

Nimble was also asleep, but unlike Arrell, he wasn't sick. Lately, he had been out doing something during the night, and would spend his day hours sleeping. Whenever we tried to question him about what he was doing, he would just go silent.

Risk and False were downstairs, discussing something. I could hear their muffled voices through the floor, and from the sounds of it, they were arguing. I rolled my eyes. Arguing was all False ever did nowadays. Sometimes it was with Arrell, sometimes with Risk, or sometimes with me. Though usually, when she tried arguing with me, Arrell would get involved, and it’d turn into an argument between them instead...

Arguing had become a core part of our group’s workings, if you can’t tell.

I was jolted out of my thoughts when Arrell started to stir. Quickly, I got up and left the room, trotting down to the kitchen and retrieving a bag of ice from the freezer. As I did, the argument ceased; likely so I wouldn’t hear what it was about. I decided to take a moment to poke my head into the room where they were.

They were both standing in the middle of the living room. I gave them a partial glare. “You know, the next time you two want to bicker like Princess Celestia and Nightmare Moon, would you mind doing it somewhere other than directly below the room containing two sleeping ponies?”

They looked back at me a little guiltily. I shut the door and made for the stairs to get back up to Arrell.

No, I wasn't in the best of moods that day.

Once I got back into the room, I saw that his stirring had turned to full scale tossing and turning. I took the bag of ice over to him and emptied it out, watching as he absorbed every last bit of the cold substance the instant it went anywhere near him. His form relaxed, and he went back to being still.

This was a new development in his evolution sickness; whenever he began to move, that usually meant he was starting to become bothered by one of his symptoms, so we gave him ice to help. It also acted as his only form of sustenance, since we couldn't properly give him food or water. He couldn't wake up until this sickness was over, and that would take at least a couple days.

I sighed and hung my head as I sat back down on the floor, feeling tired. Since his sickness began the day before, I hadn't slept. I spent all day beside him, making sure things didn’t get too bad. The others offered to help so I could go rest, but I couldn't sleep, no matter how exhausted I was.

A hoof landed itself on my shoulder, and I gasped. Turning around, I saw that Nimble had apparently woken up, and it was his hoof that found its way there.

“You know, we need to tie a bell around your tail or something,” I said with a giggle.

He either ignored the joke or just didn’t find it funny. “You seem tired.”

I sighed. “A bit...”

“You should sleep.”

“I can’t...”

He tilted his head. “Could the others not watch Arrell for the time being?”

I shook my head. “They’re a little too busy loudly debating over some trivial matter. Again.”

He walked out from behind me and sat beside me instead. “Is it trivial, though?”

I looked blankly at him.

“Surely if it is cause for argument, to them it is not trivial.”

Rolling my eyes, I reworded my statement. “Fine. They’re loudly debating over something that might be important to them, but in the long run, it’s probably not going to help us in any way.”

“Jumping to conclusions is never the best option, but I will admit that you do present a likely outcome.” He shrugged as he looked towards the door. “Still, the fact remains that if you need a break, they could watch over Arrell for you.”

I shook my head. “No...I don’t know why, but...it doesn't feel right if I’m not the one taking care of him.” ...how does that even make sense?

“Perhaps that is the doctoring side of you?” the young ninja suggested. “Or perhaps it is something else?”

I decided I did not want to continue this conversation. “On the topic of sleep, didn’t you have some of that to take care of?”

“If you want to be rid of me, you only need to ask.”

“I don’t, just...can we not talk?”

He nodded. And we were silent.

Author's Note:

Here's a bit of a filler chapter for you all. And now, since we've reached a nice lull in the action, it's time to figure out what you all would most like to see next:

A) More action and article hunting?
B) Some time for character and relationship development?
C) Anything else you can think of?

Please give me your opinions in the comments below so I know what the majority wants, so I can progress this story properly. :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next