• Published 23rd Mar 2019
  • 1,467 Views, 26 Comments

Near and Far - TheMareWhoSaysNi



Because they're close yet different... Because some scars are difficult to heal and some secrets are difficult to bear... Because time goes by and waits for no one...

  • ...
3
 26
 1,467

Flip a Coin!

When Soarin came home, the sky was pitch black and threads of gold twinkled between the clouds. This work ended late but at least it wasn't tiring and he could gain a lot of money. It was less painful than working at a drugstore or worse, a lumb factory, especially for such a high pay. His boss was lying about his age. There was no other way, it wasn't very respectable for a student, even from a miserable school like Mountview.

He took off his suit and dressed in his pajamas, which consisted of a tee-shirt and comfortable pants for sports. His Chinese takeway in front of him, Soarin settled the table. Book, pencils, papers. Yes, when at school, he didn't do anything and made no effort to be good or even bad. But once at home, he spent most of his time like this, drowning into reviewings. It reminded him of a past, lost forever. A past where she was by his side. And though she wasn't anymore, he was doing it all for her. Even through death, he would never forget and in order to honor her memory, he had this goal in mind, a goal he would never lose track of.

***

Rays of the sun were very hot and whenever you looked at the sky, you were dazzled by an infinity of blue, with only rare puffs of white smoke to block the view. Fall would take his time, this year. Yet, Rainbow Dash kept on eating outside rather than inside her classroom. She was better off alone than obliged to put up with certain presences, especially as she had to put up with them all during classes.

Starlight Glimmer had been successful in hoodwinking this gullible and naive new girl. Oh, she looked nice and innocent all right but surely deep down, this Pinkie Pie was made of the same wood. She had no doubt about it. Dogs were made to associate with dogs and bitches with bitches.

Said the girl whose only friends had for long been an American countrygirl and a (falsly) mute philosopher.

She put her lunchbox on her laps, searched through her bag and unfolded Sunset Shimmer's latest letter. It had been a while now since she had no news from her, probably because she was too busy going at the library during summer holidays. Last night, when back from school, Rainbow Dash and Windy Whistles had a fight about it, since the later had opened her mail. She still didn't trust her, after all this time.

What did she expect? They already had taken everything she held dear away from her. They couldn't take that away, the only thing that gave her true happiness.

Swallowing a mouthful of her colesaw sandwich, Rainbow Dash started to read.

« Dear Rainbow Dash,

Nothing changes here, at Crystal Prep. It's been two years and everything's the same. The same persons are doing the same things, tirelessly. I'm still questioning about the meaning of my existence.

Could we say that I have changed? I'm not sure... Changing means that at first, you know who you are at least a little, right? But I never really knew who I was and this is why I think I haven't changed. I've only become me.

With Twilight, we're getting ready for Canterlot University. You're right, going to Queen Novo's Royal College is a very common wish. And a very conceited one as well. We're now as inseperable as Agapornis (yes, I know, you hate Latin names). But no one talks much about us. At first, maybe, because they weren't expecting us to be friends some day but now they really don't care anymore. We're part of the walls, part of their daily sets.

I still remember back when Soarin Skies and Rainbow Dash were the big thing. Sorry if I hurt you when I mention that. The thing is that you were one hell of an item! Nothing really seemed to matter much to you both. Trust me, from the outside, it was quite something. »

Rainbow Dash smiled instinctively. Her thoughts got lost. This was a good period, for as long as it had lasted. She understood what Sunset Shimmer meant. She too felt that time was perfect weather, all sunny sky and no clouds. Though it obviously was not that good. For sure. Her smile disappeared. All this was over now, and far behind her, but it always was painful to think about.

« I can confess now, I was jealous for a while. Do you remmber the first day we met? I was mad at you, I thought it was so unfair. Sorry for that. I was nothing but a silly brat.

I regret I had opened my eyes too late. Maybe I could have helped you and prevented it all from happening. If only I had opened my eyes earlier...

Sorry (again) if I hurt you when I'm telling you about that.

So, how are things going in CHS? Are you finally feeling like you belong here? I guess it probably isn't easy everyday but don't let go your endeavors. Don't lose hope, I'm sure Soarin will remember his promise. No one knows where he is. I've tried to call his parents' house, once but the maid yelled at me. I thought his little sister would study here but they eventually sent her to Cloudsdale. That's quite far away.

Please, never lose hope ♥

See you soon,
Sunset Shimmer »

Rainbow Dash folded the letter again. A fresh breeze came to caress her cheeks and lifted her hair. It felt good and it felt unexpected. Never lose hope... It sounded easy but in reality, it had always been parts of her problems. She never learned what hope meant until the day she met him and it had started to bloom inside her chest. Ever since, it seemed she had forgotten what it was like, hoping. Many times, she had been on the verge of giving up everything and let go.

"Hi. Can I eat lunch with you?"

All smiling, her brown paper kraft bag in her hands, Pinkie Pie was leaning over Rainbow Dash. Not waiting for her answer, she sat on the bench by her side, opened her sack and started to eat her sandwich with enthusiasm.

The eggs in it smelled like they had been roasted and there were drops of mayonese threatening to fall on her uniform skirt, thus transgressing the virginity of its while material. And you really had to be queen of fools to eat a poor little sandwich with such a silly smile!

"What the hell do you want?"

"Eating with you. And chatting. What if we get to know each other?"

"Please, don't make me laugh. Haven't we already have this conversation? Go and talk lipstick and Elvis Presley with Starlight Glimmer and her bunch of goats instead. Isn't that your type?"

"I... Well... You're on your own all the time so I only wanted to stay with you. And I heard you were a Freshman in another school, like me. We have this in common."

"Sure," Rainbow Dash said, getting off the bench. "That's the only common feature we'll ever find."

And without further ado, she left her. Embarrassed, Pinkie Pie lost a bit of her smile and looked down, saddly nibbling at her sandwich now, like an orphan abandonned by the last family she had.

***

She had answered! Rainbow Dash had answered! Sunset Shimmer couldn't believe it. It was stupid, since they already had exchanged many letters but each time, she was stunned, unable to accept the truth. They were friends. Real friends. And each time she received a letter with that cloud-shaped seal on, it always warmed her heart. With Twilight, Rainbow Dash was the only person she could have trusted with her own life. They were the persons who she was feeling free to be herself with. Not just a marionette of moral and expectations of others. The true Sunset Shimmer.

Unable to wait any longer, she unsealed the envelop and started to read while walking.

« Dear Sunset Shimmer,
I won't ask you how you are doing, it seems like you're doing excellent. So, Crystal Prep hasn't changed. I'm not even surprised. Most of the students there think they are the cream of the cream of the nation and so they have nothing to worry about. They're wrong. The real shame of that country are all those narrow-minded persons, stupidly relying on materialistic ambitions sold by television and magazines. Here, all the girls want to get married, so I'm not sure us Wondercolt are in the right position for a lecture in progressivism.

Canterlot University is a very good school - as if I would say the opposite. But you never said you wanted to go there before. I hope we'll see each other again there, then. It's a good thing to have a goal but to have a dream, something to hang on to, it's better. Don't let it go because you sure deserve to win.

Now it's my turn to confess. My opinion about you haven't always been the opinion that I would gladly share now. In my eyes, your were the most superficial person I knew. The kind who could only see what she wanted to see, what she's told to see. But you're not like that. You were only trying to figure out who you really were. You just didn't know you did.

There's a new girl in my class. She always sticks to me and it irritates me. I know she's the kind to be scared to be alone and who would rather follow the flock than to be under such a pressure. I don't know what I should think of her. Maybe I should make an effort. The problem is that I have always been bad at it. In fact, I even hate efforts! It's so rare such a thing is within my reach that when it finally happens, laziness is taking over me.

I'm not made for friendship. But after all, I didn't think that I was made for love. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Thank you for worrying about me, thank you for your support, it really helps. You're the only voice I listen out of mine. You will surely not believe a word of it yet it is the truth.

I will never forget that you're the only one who really empathized with us. The only one who saw the pain through our violence. Any being is able to be a hero and you're the evidence. You're beautiful with your flaws and admirable for your soul.

No mind really is slow. Sometimes, it only takes a bit of practice (it makes perfect, did you know that?). Practice your mind and make it perfect. Yours is already able to learn from its mistake and not many persons can do this.

Please, take good care of you.

Rainbow Dash »

Sunset Shimmer lowered her paper. She was in her classroom now. At the window, the football players were drinking soda cans. The Elvis Fan Club was going into raptures in front of pictures of their idol. The same scenery, in endless representation, all day all year long. Nostalgia took over her. Two beating hearts were missing in the background.

***

What did happen? Yesterday, after lunch break, when she went back to class, Starlight Glimmer and the girls had avoided her. She had spent quite some time trying to speak with them but the bunch had acted as if no one were talking to them. She tried to find a reason why they would be mad at her but she couldn't. Nothing much had changed. And yet... Something was wrong, obviously. People couldn't hold a grudge against other people for no reason whatsoever.

This morning, a white fear was weighing on Pinkie Pie's stomach. What if they would still ignore her? She really hoped her situation to be temporary. She knew she would never have the strength to be on her own, in the general indifference. It was a weakness, she was aware of that but she couldn't help herself. Being alone was the worst possible thing. It meant no one was emotionally attached to you.

She forced a smile and came across the door as if everything was perfect.

"Hello, everyone!"

Her greetings found no echo. Sitting at their usual spot, Starlight Glimmer and friends kept on ignoring her, with a little air that seemed to indicate they enjoyed their power on her fate. Pinkie Pie's smile disappeared and shoulders down, she dragged her feet until her own desk.

Unnoticed, Starlight Glimmer's eyes had followed her path through the room. Served her right, it was a wrong to the wrath of her clan.

Rainbow Dash was already sitting at her table, the one next to Pinkie Pie. She was reading a book "Froth of the Daydream", by Boris Vian, in French. She couldn't help a gasp of admiration.

"That's awesome! You can read French!"

Rainbow Dash looked at her out of the corner of her eye. In normal circumstances, she would have replied that she already knew she was awesome but something about that girl kept on unsettle her and she didn't know what her reactions were going to be. Also she only shrugged and kept on reading.

Suddenly jaded, Pinkie Pie sighed silently and took her books out from under her desk. At the first look of it, she opened horrified wide eyes. All of them were covered with graffitis of all kind (plus some very obscene drawings), with black and red ink.

Pinkie Pie leaped on her feet.

"Who did that?"

At this exact moment, Starlight Glimmer and her bunch of friends burst out laughing. Their indifference to the situation looked very suspicious and though everyone seemed to be discreetly focusing on the curly pink-haired girl, none of them dared showing a real concern about the situation.

Rainbow Dash looked up, disturbed by her neighbor sudden jump. Her eyes quickly fell on Pinkie Pie's books... Such a big surprise. This truly had Starlight Glimmer written all over it.

Hearing the bunch laughing out loud again, Pinkie Pie took back her books and stepped towards the three girls.

"Is that you, Starlight Glimmer? Why?"

"Why? Don't accuse me without evidence, you dump!"

She pushed Pinkie Pie back and the young girl came to hit the table behind her. Her ruined books fell in a messy heap on the floor. But not a single student came to her rescue. Why didn't they try to stop what was going on? She could see them all, heads buried inside their shoulders, trying to act as if they weren't the witnesses of a bullying though she knew, yes, she knew they were aware but they just didn't care. In reality, they were afraid that if they intervened, one day they would also become a victim of Starlight Glimmer's mockings and they all chose not to meddle with that, afraid there would be a revenge.

Of course, this, Pinkie Pie didn't know.

She leaned over in order to collect her books when a foot crushed against her fingers. Pinkie Pie repressed a grimace of pain and looked up. Of course this was Starlight Glimmer's work of art. Who else could that be since everyone else was trying hard not to fall under her radar?

"Can't you go any faster? Your garbage is rottening the floor."

And she pressed her foot a little harder against her fingers. Numb of pain, Pinkie Pie gathered them as fast as her situation allowed her to and hurried to sit back at her desk. Her cheeks were crimson from shame and her stomach felt so heavy she thought she would vomit her breakfast and faint.

For the first time, she fully realized. She was in hell now and there was no turning back.

Unnoticed to the young girl, Rainbow Dash took a glimpse at her. Deep down, she felt pity for this poor innocent soul. Maybe she had been a little too harsh with her.

A few minutes later, the lesson began. From her chair, Pinkie Pie was feeling bad, afraid to be questioned by the teacher and especially to be asked to read her textbook out loud. On all sides, it was covered with drawnings, lines, curls and stains and she couldn't see anything of what was written, which made it very difficult for her to be focused on the lesson. And to say she already had many problems with the program from CHS, which had a level of difficulty much higher than that of her former school. Here she was, frowning, rubbing her damp hands together between her knees, hidden under the table. A lump was wringing her stomach.

And, as if by magic, a school textbook in perfect state suddenly landed on her table, on top of the raped one. Pinkie Pie turned to the desk next to her. Someone was reaching out a hand to her, finally.

"I don't need that," Rainbow Dash said with an indifferent voice.

She took back the soiled book and buried it inside her own bag. She was a nice person, in reality... Pinkie Pie had always known. From the first day of school, when her multicolor hair caught her eyes, and despite how cold-shouldered she was acting with everyone, she knew. There was more to see than the sheer surface about this girl. She felt more grateful than ever.

"But... what about you? Aren't your parents going to scold you?"

"Scold"? What was that way of speaking? She sounded like a kindergarten little girl! Rainbow Dash couldn't help a sarcastic laugh.

"Are you naive or something? Everyone knows I have no parents anymore. Windy's going to yell at me and of course, I won't care at all. Then, she'll buy a brand new book and two seconds later, everything's going to be forgotten."

Rainbow Dash suddenly went meditative. She never really managed to consider Windy Whistles as her mother. Once, there had been a short while when she had thought that, maybe, she could have this kind of feelings for her, one day. But after the incident at Crystal Prep, she understood this would never be possible.

No parents? Pinkie Pie was feeling sorry for her, and even more intrigued. She really wanted to know more about her and about her past. Indeed, she was naive, unable as she was to envision that an extreme pain could have fashioned this personality that she thought was so "cool".

Also, she felt happy though there was no real reason to rejoice. Yes, she had been bullied and humiliated but she wasn't alone anymore. Rainbow Dash had helped her and even talked to her more or less friendly - or at least as friendly as she was able to be. Maybe she would eventually be her friend, after all. That was her deepest hope.