• Published 3rd Aug 2012
  • 2,752 Views, 97 Comments

Macintosh - TotalOverflow



Big Macintosh seems like a simple pony who doesn't say much, but there's much more to him.

  • ...
5
 97
 2,752

Chapter 12

Macintosh
By TotalOverflow, '11

Chapter 12

I did it.

I got it.

I ran for home. It was still raining a little bit. But I didn't care.

I did it. Now they would see. Now I would prove it to them.

They would see that I was right.

That I could be free.

I looked down at it.

My perfect score.

***

Macintosh grimaced. This sudden influx of unhappy memories wasn't doing him any favors. Glancing at the clock tower (it was nearly one in the afternoon) he decided it was probably time to get back to the farm. With Applejack running a stand in town and Granny Smith's bad hip, there was a whole lot of work back there that wasn't getting done. Still, I really do hope I can spend some quality time with the family today, he mused as he plodded the road for home. Hopefully the rest of today will be quiet.

A shadow passed overhead. Glancing up, Macintosh saw a royal air-chariot pulled by a pair of pegasus guards circling around and down towards the library. His curiosity getting the better of him, he headed in that direction. The work can wait a little bit longer.

When he arrived, he barely caught sight of the chariot pulling up and away, the guard ponies' golden armor glinting in the sun. Standing on the road in front of the library (presumably the passenger of said chariot) was a grey, silver-maned earth pony in a fancy suit and top hat. He knocked on the door, and Spike stepped out to greet him. Must be that friend Spike mentioned, Macintosh reasoned. Chuckling to himself, he turned to leave when he heard Spike call after him.

"Yo! Macintosh!" Macintosh spun around as Spike and the stallion cantered up to him. Once closer, Mac could see that the pony wore a monocle and had a golden wreath as a cutie mark.

"Howdy Spike," Macintosh nodded.

"Big Mac, this is my friend from Canterlot, Caesar!"

"Pleasure to meet you," Caesar shook Mac's hoof.

"Caesar, this is Big Macintosh. He helps run the apple farm on the edge of town."

"Howdy," Mac curtly said.

"Ah, the apple farm, eh?" Caesar grinned, tipping his hat, "Sweet Apple Acres if I'm not mistaken? I've heard many great things about your produce from Spike here."

"Heh, thanks," Mac smiled.

"Like I said, Caesar wanted some advice on organizing and planning the 'Summer Sun Celebration,'" said Spike, "I told him Ponyville was a great place for ideas!"

"Ain't the celebration in a couple days?" Mac asked, "ain't that cuttin' it a li'l close?"

"Oh, not to worry," Caesar waved his hoof in the air, "I've put on entire weddings with naught but five minutes and a bit of tissue paper! I must say, however, that I am rather excited at the prospect of heading this year's 'Summer Sun Celebration' in Canterlot. I became the royal event planner just under a year ago. The last planner quit when last year's celebration didn't go quite as planned," he said wryly, "if I'm not mistaken, it was held here in Ponyville, correct?"

"Eeyup."

"Hmm. Well, this year will most certainly go much smoother. I've already got the entire royal courtroom cleared out, just waiting for the decorations! Speaking of which, Spike: I had a few ideas, but I’m afraid I’m simply not very good at decor. Certainly you, my good dragon, can think of something?"

"Uh, well, what have you got so far?" Spike scratched his head. Macintosh fiddled with his harness, trying to think of an excuse to leave.

"Well!" Caesar rubbed his hooves together, "picture this..."

"Well, Ah guess Ah've got apples ta pick," Mac interjected, "Ah should probably get goin'."

"Oh, no, man!" Caesar reacted, "now that you're here, I must hear your opinions as well!"

"Ugh. Fine."

"Excellent! Now, as I was saying, held in the summer, obviously, so we need a summery theme! And of course, the sun is the focus. While flowers are normally associated with spring, I thought they could be used as well, but...Spike, you must have an idea! You're so good at ideas!"

Spike shrugged. Macintosh cleared his throat.

"How 'bout sunflowers?"

"Sunflowers? Sunflowers!" Caesar shouted, "Hundreds of sunflowers! Brilliant! How couldn't I think of that? I can see it now!" the pony swung his hooves in the air, dramatically recreating his vision, "sunflowers on the walls, the podium, on every table! It's absolutely brilliant! But, oh bother, Where in Equestria could I find the quantity I require! Nopony sells sunflowers! Nopony buys them! Oh, this is dreadful and...I say, Mr. Macintosh, why are you grinning so devilishly?"


It took a few minutes to track down the three flower shop owners, but once they did Caesar explained what he wanted and requested to see Daisy's garden, so Macintosh, Daisy, Caesar and Spike all trotted down the road to her place. On the way, Mac pulled Daisy aside.

"Oh, wow Macintosh!" she said happily, "this is incredible!"

"Dun’ get too excited," he whispered, "ya haven't sold 'em yet."

"Oh, right," she whispered back.

"Did...Ah wanted ta say sorry fer gettin' ya upset back at the restaurant."

"No," she said after a second, "it's all right. You were right. I did some thinking, and I do need to talk to Blues soon. Hopefully today."

Mac nodded his assent as they arrived at Daisy's house. She led them around the back to her garden of sunflowers, and Caesar instantly exploded.

"Incredible! Absolutely marvelous! Why, just look at them! So large and golden! They're perfect! No, they're better than perfect! I'll buy them all!"

"Really!?" Daisy beamed.

"Hang on," Mac said, stepping in, "like y'all said, these are pretty nice flowers, so Ah'm sure the little lady here wouldn't mind a fair amount fer 'em."

"Oh of course!" he pulled out a check book and scribbled in it, ripped and presented the slip to Daisy. "How does this sound?"

THUMP

Macintosh helped Daisy back off the grass and had to gently close her jaw. Her eyes were fixed upon the slip clutched tightly in her hooves. Macintosh sneaked a glance at the enormous amount and felt his eyes grow in shock as well.

"Macintosh!" Daisy said in a voice much higher than he'd ever heard her use before, "Look! Oh my gosh! I bet this is more than enough to buy that shop and everything we need to run it!" her voice reached Pinkie Pie heights, "WooohoooOOOO!!!"

"I take it that's a yes?" Caesar rubbed his ears.

"YES!" Daisy shrieked.

"Excellent!" Caesar grinned, "I'll leave you to prepare them for me; I'll need them no later than three P.M. tomorrow."

"You bet!" Daisy yelled, "Oh wait! I should get Roseluck and Lily to help! Thanks Macintosh! See you!" She dashed away, leaving the other three to slowly walk back out to the front of her house. Thank me? Macintosh wondered, what did I do? Caesar turned to spike, who until now had been quiet.

"Spike, your friend here is a true talent! Most helpful!" he grinned, elbowing Mac, "If you don't mind, could I have the privilege of Mr. Macintosh's continued assistance for the day?"

"Uh, that's kind of up to Mac, isn't it?" Spike said, puzzled. Caesar turned to the red stallion, grinning expectantly.

"Uh, sure! Ah dun' mind."

"Excellent!" Caesar chirped.

"Okay then," Spike said, "I guess I'm gonna get going then. Got some work to catch up on in the library. You two have fun!" He began jogging away, but Mac stepped forward and bent his head down to whisper.

"But, this is yer friend!"

"Yeah," Spike smiled mischievously, "but I can't stand him when he needs help planning something," he ran off to town, waving behind him. "Drop by the library when you're done!" he shouted.

Big Mac turned to the grey stallion, whose face radiated expectancy.

"Uh, okay, what's next?" Mac offered as they trotted towards town.

"Well! What's the most important thing at any celebration?"

"Uh-"

"The food, of course! Now, I've already got a large selection of dishes prepared - oh, the glazed corn will be magnificent! And have you ever tried brazed carrot? Simply to die for! I have connections, you know! The main course will be talked about for years!" By now the pair returned to town. "But! While I have the hors d’oeuvres, and main course planned out, I am missing two key elements, including the most important part! Dessert! What meal is complete without dessert! Now, of course, there are dozens of wonderful caterers in Canterlot, but all their selection is old and blasé, with a capital 'blah.' I want something new and-Aha! What perfect timing! A bakery! Surely they will have what I seek!" The pony pounced into SugarCube Corner; Macintosh had to snap himself to attention and follow him inside.

"Hello! Baker, if you please!" Caesar called. The few patrons that were inside all stopped what they were doing to eye the new pony. He waved at the two ponies behind the counter, a square-jawed yellow stallion and a rounder blue mare. "Hello! I would to try something new!"

"GUUUAAAAAHHHH!" gasped something pink that somehow fell from the ceiling, "You're here! My Pinkie Sense hasn't failed me yet!" she shouted, rushing into the kitchen and returning with a still steaming pan of Apple Crumble, "here you go! One bowl of something new!"

"Hmm, Apple Crumble? Hardly new," Caesar murmured as he took a seat (which, Pinkie would not stop pointing out, was the one she said he would), "but, I've been wrong before, however rarely; let's give it a try!"

Pinkie doled him out a portion and the whole bakery held its breath as he smacked it for a moment, bringing his hoof to his chin in thought.

"Brilliant!" he bellowed, "Absolutely excellent! Best Apple Crumble I've ever had! Why, had I not known I would have never guessed what it was! I say, what is the secret ingredient?"

"Blood..." Pinkie smiled. The other ponies gasped. "...Oranges! Blood oranges aren't used very often, actually, now that I think about it." Pinkie's eyes formed little crescents.

"Brilliant! Really, really smashing!" the more excited Caesar became, the more his Trottingham accent came out, "this is absolutely perfect! Now then, on to business! I shall require three hundred servings of this for Saturday evening!"

"Th-th-three hundred!?" the mare and stallion behind the counter shrieked as they ran up and flanked either side of Pinkie Pie, who had the biggest grin in the world.

"At least! Perhaps that should be four hundred. Now! Payment up front!" Caesar chimed, writing another check, "will this cover the expenses?"

THUMP THUMP

"WHEE!" Pinkie screamed, bouncing off every surface (and pony) in the room. Macintosh helped the shop owners to their hooves as Pinkie Pie landed on his back, shaking his harness. "Looks like I'm gunna need to buy a whole lotta apples off you, Macky! Thanks!"

"Thanks fer wh-"

"Excellent! Now that we've taken care of that, Mr. Macintosh," Caesar grinned, pulling the red stallion outside and shooing Pinkie Pie away, "appetizers! We simply must have appetizers! And you've given me the most wonderful idea!"

"Ah have?"

"Yes! To match the theme of summer and an apple dessert, we simply must have an apple based appetizer and-Oh! Brilliant! An apple stand!" Caesar stormed off to Applejack's stand, Macintosh struggling to keep up.

"Howdy Macintosh," Applejack smiled, "Who's yer friend?"

"This here's Caesar," Mac panted, "an'-"

"Aha! You must be Ms. Applejack! You run Sweet Apple Acres, correct?"

"Uh, yeah?"

"You're Mr. Macintosh's sister, correct?"

"Uh, yeah?"

"Brilliant! You two are clearly highly intelligent and perceptive ponies! Now! If you'll indulge me..." he scooped up one of Applejack's apples, devouring it in one bite.

"H-Hey! Y'all gonna pay fer that?"

"Smashing! Truly excellent!" he smacked his lips, "imagine, Macintosh! Your apples are so sweet, they need only be presented sliced with a chocolate dipping sauce and voila! The perfect appetizer! Now then, to business!" He turned to the orange filly, whose face was twisted in confusion, and passed her a slip of paper. "I'll need at least this many of your tastiest apples for Saturday night!"

Mac and Applejack gawked at the huge order.

With a rip, Caesar presented another check.

"Will this cover it?"

THUMP THUMP

Helped to their hooves by the grey stallion, Macintosh and Applejack could only blubber at the massive sum.

"I know the bakers will also require a substantial amount of your harvest, Ms. Applejack, so I want to ensure that you'll have enough money to get by while you wait for your crop to re-grow, or whatever it is that apples do. Will this be enough?"

Applejack nodded dumbly, eyes still fastened on the slip of paper.

"Excellent! Once again, displaying your brilliance, Ms. Applejack!"

"SHEEEEEOOOOOOT!" Applejack bellowed, "I'd better get started! I'll track down Caramel an' the others! Whooo-weee! If only my pa could see me now! Thank ya, Big Brother!"

"But Ah-"

"Mr. Macintosh!" Caesar called, already on the other side of the road and making tracks. Mac shook himself and hurried to catch up. "I must say, you certainly have quite the knack for this field of work! This is all going so much smoother than I expected! In fact, I think that-Oh my goodness!"

The grey stallion stopped in front of the town square, the town hall reaching high in the center of the large plaza.

"Look! Look at all this!" he bellowed, catching the attention of half the ponies in town, "why, it's beautiful! Look at all this wonderful, wide open space! The magnificent town hall! Exquisite! I must say, this is all perfect! That's it, I've decided!" He spun to face Macintosh, his eyes ablaze with passion. Macintosh and a small crowd stared expectantly at the grey pony. "I will hold the 'Summer Sun Celebration' right here in Ponyville!

THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP

It looked like a war zone. Macintosh began helping ponies to their hooves as Caesar bounded around like a young filly in a candy shop.

"Jes' like that!?" Mac shouted, "yer switchin' locations jes' like that?"

"Oh, not to worry man! I'm sure they won't mind! After all, the Princess has a propensity herself to make sudden changes at the last second!" he hopped around, forming imaginary scenery with his hooves. "Yes! Right here! Banquet tables! Oh! And over here-Wait!" he jumped back to Macintosh, "Music! I had almost forgot! Of course, this will need music! Do you know anypony who'd be interested in running the music this year? ...You're grinning again in an unsettling fashion, Mr. Macintosh!"


Once they found Blues and Vinyl Scratch and explained the situation they sampled a bit of their music for Caesar, who gleefully presented them with another check. Blues and Vinyl (once Macintosh helped them to stand upright again) vigorously agreed to perform.

"Oh man, this will be awesome!" Blues shouted, still gushing over the check.

"Dude, your latest beat will totally knock 'em senseless!" Vinyl grinned, her sunglasses flashing. Cherry was nowhere to be seen.

"Wait! You know what would be totally awesome!?" Blues widened his stance.

"What would be totally awesome!?" Caesar mimicked.

"If we got Lyra and Bon-Bon to perform!"

"Aw, dude, that'd be sick!" Vinyl Scratch said, "we could totally sample their tunes and run 'em through the delay track and add a sick reverb!"

"I have no idea what you just said, but it sounds brilliant!” Caesar laughed, “I just know you and the royal band will get along like peas in a pod!"

"Let's go!" Blues and Vinyl shouted, rushing away, "Thanks Macintosh!"

"But Ah didn't do-"

"Mr. Macintosh, my dear, dear friend," Caesar said enthusiastically, galloping off in another direction, "you've helped me so very much today, I almost feel bad about this, but...I still need one more thing."

Macintosh gasped for air. "An'...what's...that?"

"I need somepony who can assist me in the decorum for the celebration! While I am amazingly talented, I'm afraid I have never been very good at color selection and palette swapping or whatever it is designers do; designing, presumably! Is there anypony around here with a...a flair for fashion and style?"

Macintosh thought for a moment. He couldn't think of anypony. Wait, maybe that unicorn with the styled indigo mane knows someone.

"Excuse me, miss," he said, catching her attention, "do y'all know anypony who's a good designer?"

Wrong question. Or, perhaps, exactly the right one.

"A DESIGNER!?" she bellowed, "Why, you're speaking to Rarity, only the most acclaimed fashionista and cultured connoisseur of design in Ponyville, and I assure you I am far better than 'good!' After all, I've designed for and attended the Grand Galloping Gala where my friends and I even had a private session with the Princess Celestia herself! I've made appearances in-"

"Rarity?" Caesar mused, "Aha! I knew you looked familiar! You designed for Hoity-Toity!"

"Yes!" Rarity puffed her hair.

"And Sapphire Shores!"

"Yes!"

"And you had that article in 'Clothes Horse Magazine!'"

"Yes yes yes!"

"You're perfect! I'm from the royal court of Canterlot, and I'm placing you in charge of design and decorations for this year's 'Summer Sun Celebration,' held here in Ponyville's town square! We're going with a summer theme with sunflowers as the main focus, which I've already lined up. Will this be enough payment?"

Macintosh thought quickly and caught the white unicorn as she fell.

"Oh my! T-t-this is incredible! Of-of course I'll do it!" she stammered, holding a hoof to her head.

"Excellent! Well, now that everything's taken care of here, I must away to Canterlot to inform the royal staff of the changes! I'll meet you again later tonight to make our preparations! I look forward to seeing you at the festival, Mr. Macintosh! Adieu and so long!" Caesar scurried off, leaving the red stallion and white unicorn alone.

"I can't believe it! A royal event planner asking ME for to design for him! Eeeee!" she squealed, clutching the check close to her heart, "this year is going to go so much better than last year's disaster! Oh!" she turned to Big Mac, "I cannot thank you enough!"

"...Me?"

"Yes, you! Thank you ever so much for bringing him here! This is such a huge opportunity! I was only able to provide a little direction and advice last year, but this! In charge of the whole celebration's design! Ah, but where are my manners? My name is Rarity. And yours?"

"Big Macintosh."

"Pleasure," she curtseyed, "I don't know how I can thank you enough for-Oh! Of course! Come with me!" She pulled the stallion off towards a large tent like building nearby with several ponnyquins on it and a sign marked 'Carousel Boutique' above the door. The two poured into the front entrance, where Rarity pushed Macintosh towards a large platform near the entrance.

"Ditzy! Ditzy Doo!" she called as Macintosh obligingly stepped onto the podium. A moment later a grey pegasus with a blonde mane hobbled downstairs with Sweetie Belle in tow. "Macintosh, this is Ditzy Doo. She's a house guest of mine right now, and she's actually quite talented when it comes to design!"

"Design!" the pegasus repeated happily, shaking Mac's hoof. Rarity pulled out a measuring tape and, using her magic, took Mac's measurements, levitating his harness off him. "Sweetie Belle, could you fetch me my glasses?" The tiny unicorn ran off as Rarity began explaining the situation to Ditzy Doo. "You'll never believe it! I was just returning from one of my spa sessions with Fluttershy when - oh, thank you, Sweetie Belle - and Macintosh here referred me to none other than the royal event planner for the 'Summer Sun Celebration!'"

"Triangles!?" Ditzy asked excitedly.

"I know! And he asked me to design for the celebration!"

"That's spotty!"

"Now, of course, I knew you'd want to help out! After all, you have quite the talent for decorating, Ms. Doo!"

The pegasus fluttered in the air and, much to Big Mac's horror, her eyes started lolling in every direction imaginable. "Super magnets! The package shoos away the pesky giraffes and marks the landing with a fizzle!"

"Well, you'd better get started dear! The festival begins Saturday, and that's the day after tomorrow!"

Ditzy gasped and flew down the hall, shouting something about muffins in her wake. Macintosh shook himself.

"Is she gun' be all right?" he asked.

"Oh, she'll be much more than all right!" Rarity chimed, making a few notes on a slip of paper, "she's very gifted at decorating and has wanted to try her hoof at managing a larger event for some time-Will you stay still, Macintosh?"

"Oh, uh, sorry, but, uh, what're ya doin'?"

Rarity looked at him with some mild bemusement. "Why, I'm making you a suit for the celebration, of course! It's the least I can do as thanks!"

"Now, y'all dun' have ta-"

"Nonsense, it's my pleasure!" she finished taking her notes and put her tools away, "Oh, it's going to be wonderful! I'm thinking a deep, forest green felt! Or maybe a navy blue!"

"But-"

"I'll have it ready for you tomorrow afternoon, no charge, of course! Now, I hate to be rude, but I have a lot of work to do, and I must begin!"

"Uh-"

"Thank you again, so much, Macintosh! This is really amazing! I'll see you tomorrow!"

The door closed and Macintosh found himself outside, clutching his harness in his hooves.

"What...jes' happened?"