• Published 3rd Aug 2012
  • 5,771 Views, 119 Comments

Friendship Was Magic - Error732



Applebloom tries to save her family from destitution in Equestria's decaying future.

  • ...
12
 119
 5,771

Chapter VI

The Canterlot Asylum for the Criminally Insane sat behind a high brick wall at the edge of town. Its boxy, functionalist appearance portrayed it, perhaps accurately, as a sort of warehouse, stocked not with supplies but ponies whose broken minds had succumbed to dangerous voices.

"We don't get a lot of visitors for Pinkie Pie, these days," said the warden, conversationally. "Sure, we got our share of reporters when she was first brought here, but they only ever wanted a picture, never to actually talk to her. The public always treats this place like a zoo. Present company excluded, of course."

Applebloom followed the warden cautiously, intimidated by the sterile white hallways, the harsh ceiling lights, the rough patrolling guards, and, above all, the patients. Behind every barred window lay cells populated with shaved manes, sanded-down horns, clipped wings, and pillow-wrapped hooves. The ponies who owned them engaged themselves in heated arguments, paced aimlessly about their rooms, banged their heads and hooves against the walls, stood as statues facing vacant corners, and, most disturbing of all, stared with rapt attention at their passing visitor.

"We've had patients sent to us for arson, serial murder, and cannibalism, but Pinkie Pie was a new one on us. Everyone suspects the butcher, but the confectioner? By the time the police figured her out, she'd been poisoning her customers for weeks, including all her 'favorite pretty flowers' in her cake batter. Azaleas and milkweed sure are some funny favorites.

"And then there was the trial! Most of our patients have to fight for an insanity plea, but Pinkie Pie? Put on a song and dance during her attorney's opening statements. I was there; even the bailiffs seemed scared to touch her.

"Heck, I wouldn't be too surprised if we arrive at an empty cell; she's one heck of an escape artist. She's practically supernatural in her ability to get from one place to another, even if either—or both!—is a locked room."

The warden showed her badge to a pair of guards standing beside a steel grate. They nodded in acknowledgement, and, in practiced synchronosity, each produced a key and inserted it into each of two locks, at last sliding the door open. Above the bars hung the words, "Maximum Security Wing."

Here, there were guards posted at every cell. The front wall of each was a thick pane of reinforced glass. The tenants sat under the same bright illumination that pervaded the asylum, most of them exuding a hideous lassitude as they lay motionless in their cells.

Most, but not all. They arrived at Pinkie Pie's cell, at the end of a hallway. Her mane, like all the others, was only allowed to a few centimeters of length, but, even truncated, it bent into brutal curls. Her tail, too, came to a brusque end behind her. Her hooves were wrapped in cotton cinched about her ankles, bounding up and down on the padded cell floor.

"Hi, Applebloom!" she said immediately, her voice muffled behind the glass. "With this giant pillowy floor and these super-soft shoes, everywhere I go is like jumping on the bed!"

Her agitating enthusiasm silenced Applebloom.

"Hello, Pinkie Pie," said the warden, coolly. "How is your day, today?"

"Just great!" exclaimed the bouncing pink blur. "In fact—"

She burst into song. Though Applebloom didn't catch all of the lyrics, she heard enough to know it was ballad about bedding and pillows. The number continued for several minutes, during which Pinkie Pie payed no measurable attention to her audience beyond facing them during the occasional fermata.

Applebloom felt ill. She didn't know why she'd come; there would be no alms here. Charity was as lost to these ponies as they were to the world. While Pinkie Pie continued her oblivious display, Applebloom asked the warden to escort her back to the exit.

The warden acquiesced sympathetically, attempting to comfort Applebloom as they returned from the rabbit hole. "Don't you worry about your friend, Miss. We're taking good care of her. Would you like something to eat? We have a cafeteria for the staff, here. We've got an infirmary, too, in case you want to have that bruise looked at."

"That's my cutie mark," whispered Applebloom, through a veil of tears.