• Published 3rd Aug 2012
  • 1,915 Views, 9 Comments

Dash's Colors - DashTheEngineer



Rainbow Dash has some difficulty handling the unexpected loss of her colors

  • ...
2
 9
 1,915

Chapter 1-Is that a Forecast for Rain?

The last few drops of rain fell as the clouds were being cleared away. The sun started shining down on Ponyville. Rainbow Dash was grabbing the cloud over the meadow when there was a sudden crack of Thunder. Rainbow Dash didn’t need to look far for the source. “Derpy!”

“Yea Rainbow Dash?” replied the Pegasus.

“We’re supposed to be clearing up the skies now, not starting a new thunderstorm!”

“Okay Rainbow Dash, I’ll get rid of my cloud.”

Rainbow Dash shook her head knowing how much trouble that Pegasus could be. But as Derpy Hooves moved the raincloud out of the way, Rainbow saw Ponyville, glimmering wet in the sunlight. She saw Twilight talking to Cheerilee, and Pinkie Pie inviting Fluttershy and Rarity into Sugarcube Corner.

I love Ponyville, even more than Cloudsdale. Cloudsdale is all white clouds and blue sky, but there is no grass or flowers. Clearly I was meant to live here, where my colors will be fully appreciated.

Rainbow didn’t know how long she was hovering, but she was very surprised when she was called upon, “Hey Rainbow”

“Wha-, Oh, Hey Applejack, what’s up?”

“Pinkie Pie has a new cookie recipe, are you coming to try it?”

“I wish I could, but I need to head to Cloudsdale to get Ponyville’s rain schedule.

“We aren’t going to have a drought like last year, are we now?” inquired the earth pony, very nervous that her crops would struggle again.

Rainbow Dash, embarrassed about last year's spotty weather quickly assured her, “no no, I promise, your apple trees will have plenty of water!”

“I’ll hold you to your word Rainbow!” Applejack chuckled, not afraid to depend on her friend. “ Have fun in Cloudsdale!” she shouted as she trotted into Ponyville.

Ugh, I hate Cloudsdale. Rainbow took off, and started heading to the city in the clouds. Well I guess I don’t hate it, but its not like Ponyville. All the weather factories make the entire place seem so uptight and boring.

As Rainbow Dash flew she saw a bunch of commotion in Martingale, a small unicorn city, although the commotion was because there were numerous pegasi flying over the city. Rainbow looked carefully, and thought she even saw Soarin, the cute Pegasus from the Wonderbolts. You are seeing things Rainbow, and it is probably nothing, just keep going so you can be home before night.

As Rainbow entered the city she touched down on Mane Street, but there was nopony around. Rainbow had never seen the city so empty before. Getting past her nerves she headed straight to the Weather Bureau.

Rainbow trotted along the street, and looked in at all the empty shops and houses, closed. Rainbow got to the Weather Bureau and headed inside, to be greeted by nopony. "Where is everypony, there aren’t any Pegasus holidays today, I hope Sunny Day..”

“Well Rainbow Dash, I Forgot you were coming in today!”, came a friendly voice from behind Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash flew almost all the way to the ceiling, scared. “Mr. Day! You are the first pony I have seen in Cloudsdale. Where is everypony?”

“I could say the same thing to you, Miss Dash.” Sunny Day started, “All Cloudsdale pegasi are either in the water collection facility or in Martingale. You won’t believe it, but they are trying to make two tornados to pick up enough water for this year’s rain!”

“TWO TORNADOS!” Rainbow’s mouth hung open and she stammered for a short while.

“Yes, it is a very dangerous, but it’s necessary for this year’s water demands. So, if you are planning on heading home today, you should go over the Black Forest to avoid the high winds from the two tornados.” Sunny Day, not skipping a beat, motioned for Rainbow Dash to follow him into his office. The stallion kept his office very neat and found Ponyville’s weather file in a few seconds. “Okay, Miss Dash, How is the weather in Ponyville?”

“We just finished a rain early this morning, and Winter Wrap up was completed on schedule again, and that kinda is all I got to report.” Rainbow Dash, stood there awkwardly as Sunny wrote his notes in Ponyville’s file.

“Thank you Miss Dash. Now you are also here to pick up your rain schedule for the season?” Sunny Day looked up as Rainbow Dash confirmed with a nod. Sunny Day looked back in the file and flipped a few pages and mumbled what sounded like simple arithmetic. He looked up and smiled, “Well, because of your drought last year, I am going to suggest three rainstorms a month, and double your monthly drizzles. Sound good?”

“Sounds great Sunny, uh, I mean Mr. Day!” Rainbow blushed.

“Okay, that should be it.” Sunny started walking towards the window. “I guess I will be seeing you next month for your follow up weather report.”

Rainbow was in the doorway when Sunny spoke up again, “Miss Dash, the pegasi have started their tornados, fly safe!”

“But Danger is my middle name, Rainbow Danger Dash!” and with that, she flew out of the room, leaving Sunny Day to chuckle to himself.

When Rainbow reached the edge of the city she looked out at the small city of Martingale. She watched the twin tornados grow, and then fall apart. Martingale is going to have a long night if they actually plan on getting both tornados!

She started flying towards the Black Forest. Wow, this is one ugly forest, there isn’t any color at all. It’s all gray. I don’t know if I would even call it a forest, it’s just a big blot of gray. She flew over the forest, and noticed the winds were picking up again. Another attempt, can’t say they give up easily!

Rainbow saw a small meadow up ahead, and stopped to a hover looking down in this small opening. On a tree at the edge of the meadow there was a bird feeding its young. All of them gray, except for one of the young. There is a blue bird!! The black forest is not completely

Out of nowhere, an Ördög flew out from the shadows and devoured the mother bird. With a great whelp, Rainbow flew up and

WHAM!

Rainbow Dash was falling out of the sky, unable to regain her flight. She tumbled down, and down until she landed in a tree. She tried to collect herself until a Pegasus stallion came by.

“Let me help you” said the rough voice.

Rainbow looked up and there, offering his hoof was Soarin, THE WONDERBOLT!! Without thinking she accepted his hand and he pulled her out of the tree. Quickly a small white Pegasus mare came over apologizing profusely.

“I am so sorry, Those tornados just…I couldn’t keep up, and well…I lost control and got flung all the way…well…I just…I am so sorry, are you okay-“ The white mare really looked scared and quiet shaken after the incident.

Soarin interrupted her unending apology, “Yea, those winds were pretty gnarly, it flung you faster than I could go to catch up to you.”

Rainbow Dash was in such a state of disbelief, she took a second before she responded, “yea, it’s no problem, landed safely on a tree!” she gave a half hearted chuckle. “Plus, its not like the Ördög ate me.”

Rainbow couldn’t believe it, the white mare actually got whiter, almost translucent, “Ördög…Ördög” and like that the small mare was flying away!

Soarin was equally surprised by the white mare’s response. He laughed out loud, “If we could get wing power like that, we would have no trouble with getting two tornados”. Then for the first time Soarin took notice of who he helped out of the tree. “Aren’t you the mare that saved me at the flyer’s competition, and my pie at the Grand Galloping Gala?”

Rainbow giggled and blushed, ecstatic that Soarin remembered her, “You remember me? Yes, those were both me!”

Soarin brushed some leaves and twigs out of Rainbow’s mane and coat, “Well, I can’t stay and talk for long, but here’s a backstage pass to our show in a couple weeks over in Las Pegasus. I would love if you would come.”

Rainbow Dash grabbed the ticket, and Soarin gave her a flirty salute and wink, and flew at a casual pace back to Martingale. Omygoshomygoshomygoshomygosh, look at that plot. Rainbow Dash did a flip and flew quickly back to Ponyville.

When she got to Ponyville, it was already dark. Most everypony was already indoors. Crossing over Sweet Apple Acres Dash saw Applejack bringing her cart into a shed. Quickly, Rainbow grabbed a cloud Derpy forget to get rid of and waited. As soon as Applejack walked out of the shed,

CRACK!

Rainbow let out a crack of thunder. Applejack, even though she is an earth pony, flew! Rainbow Dash was laughing so hard, she never saw the kick to her side coming!

“Ow! Hey, way to ruin a good prank, AJ!” Rainbow moaned, rubbing her now sore rib.

“Well, sorry Rainbow, I got caught up in the fright. Are you just getting back from Cloudsdale?”

“Aw yea, I had a CRAZY trip to Cloudsdale, well, a crazy trip back!”

“Can you tell me while I finish up some chores out in the south field?” So both ponies walked over to Sweet Apple Acre’s southern field and Rainbow Dash told her wild tale of running into Soarin. But with only half of Applejack’s chores being finished, it was getting late for both ponies; they parted ways and went to bed for the night.

Comments ( 9 )

More to come soon, I promise

????
WEIRD BUT GOOD

Whoa... this is actually a pretty creative idea.

Wins my "Creative Fic of the Day" award! Well done, Dash!

The main thing I had a bit of a problem with, was that the ending of the chapter seemed a little rushed. But other than that, I liked this fic a lot! I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

I look forward to the next thing.

I have to agree with the others, this idea is very creative. And, considering that the parasprites ate words out of books at one point, pretty plausible. Good job.

Fabulous premise. I'm here for the duration.

Whoa! SoarinxDash moments:raritystarry:, I like this story already! I'll be keeping track of this one. More please!:twilightsmile:

more plzzzzzzzz I like where this is going:twilightsmile::raritywink::pinkiesmile::rainbowhuh: rainbow is best pony 

Login or register to comment