• Published 5th Oct 2018
  • 13,064 Views, 166 Comments

Luna's Daughter - Baxter1984



What would happen if Luna's daughter was raised by Celestia, and their parents, while she was sent to the moon?

  • ...
25
 166
 13,064

Prologue

Celestia raced through the halls of the castle in the Everfree Forest. Where is she?! She skidded to a stop at the end of the hall. She could have opened the door in front of her but chose to look out the window instead. Something is clearly wrong. It’s the middle of the afternoon . . . Why in Equestria did Luna raise the moon? She was torn from her thoughts by a shout from the other end of the hall.

“Celestia!”

Celestia turned to see that her parents were galloping towards her.

Midnight Armor, a dark blue alicorn stallion, came to a stop in front of his daughter. His mane and tail were black with a dark blue stripe running through them.

Sundance, a white alicorn mare with a light blue mane and tail, did the same before glancing at her husband. He’s been so focused on getting home that he hasn’t even noticed that he’s a mess. She used her magic to fix his mane.

Midnight Armor didn’t pay any attention to what his wife had done. Instead, he focused on their daughter. “What’s going on?!”

Celestia shook her head. “I don’t know, Father.”

Sundance glanced out at the sky. “The moon isn’t supposed to be up yet.” She turned to her daughter. “Where is your sister?”

Celestia shook her head again. “I don’t know, Mother. I’ve been searching for her ever since the moon rose, but . . .”

“You haven’t been able to find her?” Midnight Armor finished

Sighing, Celestia shook her head a third time. “I-” She cut herself off with a gasp. “I think I know where she is!” Without waiting for a response, she teleported out of the castle.

Sundance and Midnight Armor looked at each other in confusion. However, before either of them could say anything, both of them jumped when they heard a loud cry.

Midnight Armor laughed softly “It sounds like somepony just woke up from her afternoon nap.”

Nodding, Sundance opened the door to their daughter’s room. She and her husband walked inside together. As usual, the room was dark. Sundance used her magic to light the candle on a nearby table. With the light it provided, they were able to see the source of the cries.

A sturdy wooden cradle stood next to the large bed that took up most of the room. A small lavender alicorn filly was laying inside.

Sundance carefully levitated the filly into the air before bringing her closer. “Shh, it’s alright.” She nuzzled her granddaughter. “You don’t need to cry, Twilight.”

Soothed by her grandmother’s voice, and gentle touch, Twilight stopped crying. She giggled as she grabbed Sundance’s muzzle with her tiny forehooves.

Laughing softly, Sundance nuzzled her granddaughter again before levitating the filly onto her back. “I’m sure you’re hungry. Let’s see if we can find your mother.”

Squealing in delight, Twilight grabbed Sundance’s mane and held on while she made other baby noises.

Midnight Armor shook his head in wonder. “I will never understand how you do that.”

Sundance laughed again “I guess I just have the magic touch.” She followed her husband out of their daughter’s room. “Where do you think Celestia went? More importantly, where do you think Luna is?”

“I have no idea.” Midnight Armor replied as they walked down the hall. Both of them jumped when they heard a loud thud. Annoyed, he asked “What now?”

Sundance shook her head when she heard another one. “Should we follow them?”

Midnight Armor nodded before glancing at his granddaughter. “Perhaps we should leave Twilight here.”

I’m not leaving her alone. Sundance shook her head again. “We don’t know what’s going on. That means the safest place for our granddaughter is with us.”

Midnight Armor smiled at his wife. “You’re right.”

Sundance and Midnight Armor followed the sounds towards the throne room.

Confused, Sundance turned to her husband. “There’s no court today. Why would either of our daughters have gone there?”

“I’m not sure.” He responded “Regardless, we’ll find out soon enough.”





Sundance and Midnight Armor walked into the throne room. The first thing they noticed was that there were dozens of ponies present. None of them noticed their King and Queen. Instead, they were shouting as they gathered in front of the dais with a pair of thrones. Surprised, they stopped in the doorway.

Sundance glanced at her husband in confusion. “There shouldn’t be anypony in here.”

“You’re right." Midnight Armor responded "I wonder what the fuss is about.”

An earth pony stallion stepped forward and turned to the crowed. “If we can kill the evil bringer of the moon, the honored Princess of the Sun will be able to constantly bring the light of the sun into our lives.”

“Don’t forget about the spawn of the moon!” A unicorn mare shouted “We need to get rid of her as well!”

Sundance and Midnight Armor gasped in horror. W-what?!

“That won’t be hard.” The earth pony responded “She’s only two weeks old.”

“He’s right.” A pegasus stallion remarked, leveling a lance towards the middle of the group. “We’ll take care of her after we deal with her mother.”

Nodding, the other ponies in the group followed suit.

Sundance and Midnight Armor stepped forward, but paused when they heard a shout. Neither of them noticed Celestia enter the room.

Sighing, Celestia stopped next to her parents. “The garden has always been Luna’s favorite place to relax, so I thought she may have gone there. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find her.” She looked up when she heard a shout. “What’s going on?”





- - - *Warning* Death Scene Ahead - - -


“Get away from her!”

Everyone in the group stepped back to reveal a dark gray unicorn stallion with a sword in his magic.

Luna stood behind this stallion with a horrified expression on her face. “No, Comet! You can’t face that many ponies by yourself!”

“I don’t care, Luna.” Comet responded “I won’t allow them to harm you!” He glared at the ponies in the crowd. “And they won’t be allowed to get their hooves on our daughter!”

Three of the ponies in the crowd threw their spears at him. They growled when Comet easily knocked them aside.

Luna looked at the ponies around her. This is bad. Perhaps I should- She was torn from her thoughts when most of the ponies in the room let out an enraged shout. Her eyes widened when all of them launched their weapons, and offensive spells, at her husband.

Comet knocked as many of them as he could aside before the sheer number of them overwhelmed him. When the dust settled, everypony immediately noticed that Comet now looked more like a pin cushion than a pony.

Comet slowly turned towards his wife. “L-luna, t-take care of . . .” He collapsed before he could finish his sentence.

Horrified, Luna watched her husband draw his last breath. She collapsed next to her husband’s body as tears streamed down her face. “COMET!



- - - End of Scene - - -





Sundance, Midnight Armor and Celestia gasped in horror.

The earth pony stallion chuckled “That was easy.” He turned to the crowd. “In fact, that gives me an idea. Let’s make her watch her daughter’s death as well. Then we’ll kill her.”

“No”

Surprised, everypony turned towards Luna as she stood.

Tears continued to stream down her face as she glared at all of them. “I WILL NOT allow you to harm my daughter.”

The earth pony stallion actually laughed at her. “What can you do to stop us? It is well known that your parents won’t allow you to use offensive magic on other ponies.”

Before Luna could respond, a black cloud appeared behind her. Everypony in the crowd backed up a couple of feet. Confused, Luna glanced behind her . . . just as the cloud enveloped her completely. She screamed in a combination of horror and pain when the dark magic forced itself into her body.

Sundance, Midnight Armor and Celestia gasped in horror as Luna was taken over. All three of them shouted the same thing. “Luna!

The ponies in the crowd turned at the shout . . . and instantly turned several shades paler when they saw the Royal Family.

“K-king Midnight Armor!” The earth pony stammered.

“Q-queen Sundance!” The pegasus exclaimed.

“P-princess Celestia!” The unicorn stammered.

Sundance, Midnight Armor and Celestia ignored them. Instead, the three of them stared at the sphere of darkness around Luna. They, and everypony else in the throne room, could only wait for the darkness around Luna to fade. A little over a minute later, it did. What they saw left everypony stunned.

The mare in front of them was as tall as Celestia . . . and her coat was jet black. When she opened her eyes, they noticed that they were a steely blue and the pupils were dragon-like slits. She looked down at herself for a moment before letting out an evil laugh as she lifted her head again. Finally!

Everyone flinched when that laugh echoed around the throne room.

The earth pony stallion trembled as he took a cautious step towards the black-coated mare. “P-princess Luna?”

The dark mare glanced down at her armor before looking at the pony in front of her. “Come now. Even you should be able to tell that I am not your princess.”

He shrank back. “W-what do you mean?”

“I’m not Princess Luna.” The mare repeated.

“T-then who are you?” The pegasus stallion nervously asked.

“If you must know, my name is Nightmare Moon.” Nightmare Moon grinned, showing her fangs. “I really must thank you.”

“W-why?” The unicorn mare hesitantly asked.

Nightmare Moon turned to her. “I have been trying to take over little Luna for over a year now. I spent most of that time whispering lies, and promises of power, to her. Unfortunately, she refused to listen to me. Instead, she clung to the happiness that she got from her family . . . specifically, her husband and their daughter.”

The earth pony stallion gasped in shock. “T-that means . . .”

An evil smile appeared on Nightmare Moon's face. “That is correct. The despair she felt when you killed her husband gave me the opportunity I needed.” Allowing her smile to fade, she looked at him thoughtfully for a moment before opening her mouth again. “That said, you did kill her husband. I believe I will do her a favor and return the gesture.” She struck each of the ponies in the crowd down with bolts of lightning before anypony could respond.

Celestia cautiously took a couple of steps forward. “L-Luna?”

Nightmare Moon turned to her. “You really are slow, aren’t you? I am not your sister.” She gave Celestia a look before turning to Sundance and Midnight Armor. “I was originally planning to kill all three of you.”

Celestia, Sundance and Midnight Armor gasped in shock.

“However, I have changed my mind.” Nightmare Moon allowed her gaze to linger on the filly on Sundance’s back for a moment. “I have no intention of killing her daughter, but I also have no intention of caring for her myself.” She lifted her head slightly so that she could look Sundance and Midnight Armor in the eye. “That task falls to the two of you.”

Sundance and Midnight Armor were too stunned to respond.

Nightmare Moon used that as an opportunity to surround Sundance, Midnight Armor and Twilight with a powerful shield. “You just sit tight and watch.” She gave them a look. “Make sure you take care of that filly.” She narrowed her eyes as turned to Celestia. “However, you will be dying today.”

Celestia's eyes widened when Nightmare Moon’s horn began to glow. That was the only warning she got before a powerful beam of magic was launched at her. She dodged it by taking to the air. She glanced over her left shoulder in time to see the wall turn to dust. That was close. I need to take this battle outside.





Inside the shield, Midnight Armor shook himself from his shock and began to examine the shield. “I have to get us out of here.”

Sundance was about to say something, but paused when another blast made Twilight cry. She reached back to nuzzle the filly. “Please don’t cry, Twilight.”

Twilight kept crying.

Sighing, Sundance nuzzled her granddaughter again before turning to her husband. “Well?”

Midnight Armor shook his head as he allowed his magic to fade. “I have never seen anything like this, so I don’t have a way to break us out of it.” He levitated Twilight onto his back.

Sundance turned her attention to the shield. “I’ll take a look.”

Midnight Armor looked up in time to see Celestia lead Nightmare Moon out of the throne room. Good idea, Celestia. I have no doubt that Sundance will be able to break the magic and get us out of this. When she does . . . He was pulled from his thoughts when Sundance sighed in relief.

Sundance glanced at her husband. “I know how to disable the magic. Unfortunately, it will take a few minutes.”

“That’s alright.” Midnight Armor replied

Sundance nodded to her husband before returning her attention to the magic. Four minutes later, she gave him a small smile. “Done.”

Sundance and Midnight Armor waited until the shield faded entirely before spreading their wings and taking flight. They flew through the hole that Nightmare Moon had created in one of the walls. Once outside, they stopped and just stared at the damage.

“T-the castle . . .” Sundance said softly

“We will worry about that later.” Midnight Armor responded “Right now, we need to help our daughter.”

Sundance nodded “Both of them.”

Midnight Armor and Sundance glanced around for a moment before heading towards the sound of shattering rock.

“Give Twilight to me." Sundance told her husband. "I will keep her safe while you focus on the battle.”

"Good idea." Midnight Armor levitated his granddaughter onto his wife’s back.

The wall behind them suddenly exploded. Startled, Sundance and Midnight Armor immediately flew straight up to avoid being hit by pieces of stone. Then they stopped and looked below them. At first, they couldn't see anything through the dust . . . until a beam of black colored magic shot through the new hole in the wall.

Celestia flew through the dust and out into the open air where she had more room to maneuver. Unaware of the presences of her parents and niece, she stopped and looked down at the newest hole in the castle. “I know you’re in there, Luna! Stop this!”

Nightmare Moon flew through the dust as well. “You’re wasting your time. Your sister is gone . . . and you’re about to follow her.” She launched another beam of magic at Celestia.

Midnight Armor placed himself between the attack and his eldest before raising a barrier. “Stop this, Luna. We can help you.”

Nightmare Moon rolled her eyes. “How many times to I have to tell you that Luna is gone? You’re lucky that I’m not interested in killing you.” She shattered the barrier before turning to Celestia. “Those ponies were part of a sun-worshiping cult that wanted you to take over as Queen of Equestria . . . and create an Eternal Day.”

Celestia gasped before dodging another of Nightmare Moon’s attacks. “I would never do that! For one thing, Mother is the Queen. Then there is the fact that an Eternal Day would kill all of Equestria!”

“That doesn’t matter.” Nightmare Moon snarled “This happened because of you. Therefore, you will have to die so that it doesn’t happen again. In fact, I am going to create an Eternal Night as soon as I am certain that you are dead.” She launched another powerful beam of magic at Celestia before she could respond.

Caught off guard, Celestia was struck in the chest. She screamed in pain as she fell through the ceiling and onto the floor of the throne room.

Midnight Armor and Sundance gasped in a combination of shock and horror before shouting the same thing. “Celestia!”

Sundance flew towards Celestia, but was forced to stop when Nightmare Moon moved in front of her. That’s fine. I’m close enough. She cast a healing spell on her eldest.

Nightmare Moon instantly realized what Sundance had done, but there wasn’t anything she could do to stop it. She growled when Celestia rose into the air.

“Luna,” Celestia said sadly “don’t make me do this.”

“I will kill you!” Nightmare Moon launched another beam of magic.

Celestia dodged it as her horn began to glow. Midnight Armor and Sundance gasped in surprise when six objects flew towards their eldest.

Sundance's eyes widened when she took a closer look at those objects. “T-those are the Elements of Harmony!” Her eyes widened even further when the Elements began to circle her eldest.

Midnight Armor moved closer to his wife. “Did you know that she could do that?”

Sundance refused to take her eyes off of her eldest. Instead, she slowly shook her head. “The last time I checked, Celestia and Luna each wielded three of the Elements of Harmony. I had no idea that Celestia could wield all six.”

“Last chance, Luna.” Celestia said “I really don’t want to do this, but I will if I have to.”

Nightmare Moon opened her mouth, but her body froze before she could utter a sound.

Sundance, Midnight Armor and Celestia stared at her in shock. All three of them asked the same question. “What’s going on?”

“D-do it, Celestia!”

Celestia gasped in shock. “I-is that you, Luna?!”

“H-hurry! I-I won’t be able to control my body for long!”

Horrified, Celestia stammered “B-but if I use the Elements of Harmony, you’ll . . .”

“I-it doesn’t matter!” Luna interrupted “You can’t allow this thing to take over Equestria!” She choked back a sob. “P-please take care of Twilight . . .”

Tears streamed down Celestia’s face as the glow around her horn doubled in strength. “I-I promise.”

Sundance and Midnight Armor had tears in their eyes as they joined their eldest. “Don’t worry, Luna. We’ll take care of her.”

“T-thank you. I-” Luna gasped in shock when Nightmare Moon’s horn began to glow as well. “N-now, Celestia!”

Celestia’s eyes turned white as she unleashed the Elements of Harmony.

Sundance and Midnight Armor landed on the ground as they watched the rainbow created by Elements carry Nightmare Moon to the moon. A few minutes later, an image of a mare with a long horn appeared on the surface of the moon.

Celestia fell to the ground as the Element of Magic vanished. Sundance and Midnight Armor watched the other five turn to stone before falling to the ground as well.