• Published 30th Nov 2018
  • 12,801 Views, 1,205 Comments

Enchanted - The Whiskey Spirit



An elven mage is shot into Equestria when one of his projects goes wrong. Now this adventurer is opening up an enchanting business. Surely, this could only lead to a normal, stress free life. Right?

  • ...
48
 1,205
 12,801

PreviousChapters Next
Ch 28: Friendship is Magic

Aurick placed his hand on the tree with a frown. After a flare of magic, a gem became embedded in the trunk. It was unlikely to be moved through any natural causes, and anything that would want to remove it would never come close to it.

He scratched his beard as he looked at the various other trees he had done this to. It encompassed a long line of trees that ran behind his house. A task that had taken the better part of the day. Letting out a breath, the cold air making it visible, he began to head back home.

He had finally taken the time to set up the monster wards, now that he didn’t have that job for the princess. He didn’t necessarily need it yet, but it would be good to have once the monsters came out of hibernation. At the very least, it would make visitors more comfortable, knowing there was a barrier for the monsters of the Everfree.

Upon entry, he found that something was very wrong. Namely, there was smoke billowing out of the kitchen. He didn’t waste any time, rushing into the room, his cloak brought up to cover his face from the smoke. What he found seemed even more wrong.

Ashwyn was frantically flying around, opening the windows and occasionally using a towel to fan the fire in a failed attempt to extinguish it. The fire originated from a pan, but had flared out of control. Aurick was suddenly extremely glad that his home was stone in make, and most of the pieces in the kitchen were some form of rock as well. The only wooden piece being the table and chairs, but that was at the other end of the room.

As soon as Ashwyn had seen him, she froze in place. A look of panic crossed her face as she looked from him to the fire, back to him. She bit her lip and looked back at the fire. “Not know what do! Water no work. Make worse!” She exclaimed, her voice full of panic.

If water made it worse, it could only be a grease fire. Rubbing his temple, he walked over to a cabinet and grabbed the container of salt that they had. He unceremoniously dumped a heap into the pan, smothering the fire. Once he was sure that there was a sufficient amount, he turned around and used his magic to make a gust of wind clear the house of smoke. A moment later, the pair were in a relatively unchanged kitchen, with a pan filled with salt.

“The fuck happened?” He asked with a scowl. At least the mare looked embarrassed about the thing, as she looked away and scuffed a paw on the floor.

“Hungry. Not here. Try make food. It go bad. Fire.” She sighed, a small frown on her face.

“Couldn’t you have just eaten it raw?” He asked, his scowl reducing to a small frown. It was partially his fault for not feeding her. Still, she was a grown mare, there was no reason she should be setting a fire in his kitchen.

“Not taste good like cooked. Try do. Not want rely on Alpha.” She lowered her head. “Not good cook.”

“I’d say not.” He sighed and turned around, bringing out a new pan. “Let me handle the food, and if you get hungry like that again, come get me. Especially since I’m just outside.”

“Not like outside. Safe here. Forest safe. Open plain… not safe. He come.”

With a newfound frown, he turned back to the mare and kneeled down. He cupped her face in his hands and made her look into his eyes. “He is in jail.” She scowled at this, her brow furrowing.

“They lie.”

“Why!?” He threw his hands up in exasperation. “Why do you not trust the princesses!? Give me a fucking reason other than ‘they lie’!” He shouted, standing up to his full height.

He work for. Make me soldier. Make army. Obedient weapon. For them.” She told him, her voice filling with more toxic hate with each word.

“Who told you this? Was it him?”

“Yes. He tell plan. Equestria conquer. Pony better other race. Princess want rule all. I made obey. Made want. I not want.” Aurick looked down at her like she was one of the stupidest people he had ever met.

“And you believed him.”

“He have proof!” She growled. “He… he…” She trailed off as a look of confusion washed over her. “I not remember.” Aurick rubbed at his face, getting down to his knees again.

“Ash, he messed with your brain, remember? He could have implanted those ideas in there to make you not go to them for help.” Her eyes widened, panic threatening to take her again.

“But… No. I…” That panic quickly accompanied by horror as something struck in her mind. “What else do? He mess head. What he make think!? Me like kill. He make? No like pony. He make? What-?” She was cut off as her head was firmly pressed into Aurick’s chest.

“Don’t think about that.” He told her firmly. “That’s a slippery slope, Ash.”

“But… Who am?” The question brought a heavy frown to his face. That was a question that he had trouble answering. She was an amalgamation of monsters and animals thrown together inside a mare. A host of different instincts must have raged inside her, on top of her tampered mind.

She was a mare he had taken in. A mare he had comforted to sleep numerous times. A mare he had fed, and healed, and cared for over the past week and a half. Over that time, she had irritated him to no end, but to say that he disliked her would be… wrong. He certainly enjoyed the companionship. In fact, when she wasn’t pushing his buttons, she kind of reminded him of home. He had gotten used to her presence in the house, and had grown to care for the damaged mare. She was…

“You are my friend.”

Author's Note:

A short one, but again, this one felt like it needed to end there. Don't know why, but the feeling came upon me.

Either way, I hope you like this one.

PreviousChapters Next