• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 1,089 Views, 25 Comments

Life-Led - Trevor Rain



A land of danger is the destination of Dash, one she doesn't understand.

  • ...
2
 25
 1,089

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Dash, I managed to find another lead, an old order document that recommended two pegasus for a specialty mission. They were sent to a lookout post on the outskirts of the Equestian border. I left in a copy of the recommendation with the photo that was attached to it. I did some research, and managed to find the skyline coordinates for the outpost they were assigned to. You should have learned how to read these back at the academy. I couldn’t find much on them after the orders, I assume they were reported missing in action. There was, however, more information on the post itself. Fort Lifeled; named after a pegasus war hero before that sort of thing was frowned upon.

Rainbow, this fort was abandoned over a decade ago when, then the official border was reduced when the pegasus changed their minds about expansion, and it was for good reason. There are many records of an abnormal amount of fliers gone missing in that area. Not everypony is able to cross the sea and make it in one piece. of the many they sent over to try and map the area, only a few returned which left for some rather vague maps.

Dash, you didn’t tell me why you wanted information on these two, but it doesn’t take a genius to figure out after seeing this picture. I know if I were in your position, nothing would prevent me from flying head-first into the sea, but I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I don’t at least try. Do not go. There is a reason nopody goes outside of Equestria in the first place. It’s different there, the survivors are never the same as they were when they left. Those that have been lost have surely died..."

A.J. closed the folder and threw it back into her saddlebag she picked up back at the farmhouse. She then switched on the lamp that was on a desk so she could better read the book explaining sky coordinates she pulled off the shelf moments before. She had never heard of these before from Rainbow, but Dash never did enjoy talking about her past time at the academy. The coordinates were written like calligraphy, using symbols to represent weather or... the time of day the wind picks up or..

It was complicated.

The figures made no sense to her, but the index in the back of the book made for quick access to the specific set she was looking for. She turned the page and found a few of the symbols to mean coordinates on a map. A.J. then ran across the library to try and find an atlas. She had hoped Twilight, an unicorn with an affinity for books and a close friend, would be here. All she found to greet her was a note explaining her absence. Business at the royal city of Canterlot.

A.J. let out a groan of frustration as she impatiently searched the shelves of books to find what she needed.
“Twilight could find it in a near instant.” she said aloud to herself.

Finally reaching the end of her patience, she turned and kicked a shelf with her hind legs, and was rewarded with a shower of books that fell on her, the last being a large atlas that struck her in the head, followed by a shattering crash from the floor above. making a mental note to check on what could have broken, she rubbed her sore head and took the atlas in her mouth to the table. A.J. found the page that held the right coordinates and marked it before tearing the page out from the book, then storing it in her bag.

Twilight would understand the damage was justified, considering the situation, she hoped.

A.J. ran up the stairs and opened the door to Twilight’s room where she believed the crash to come from. The source was quickly found, for the usually immaculate room was marred by a broken bust of a colt’s head. A.J. walked to the broken shards to hastily brush them under Twilight’s bed, but she stopped when she noticed a small, square, object with purple silk lining it. Picking it up, A.J. saw that it opened. There was revealed to be a necklace, with a stone of the deepest black, wrought upon a chain. A scroll dropped from the box when A.J. lifted the lid, which she quickly picked up and begun to read...

"Enchanting: I have attempted to create my own enchanting spell to gain perspective on the effect magic may have on an inanimate object. The act of weaving a lingering spell is a complicated one to create, though simple to cast, based on its low threshold for needed power (depending on the potency of said Enchantment). the problem that many enchanters seem to face, however..."

A.J. skipped to the end of the page.

"Obsidian seemed to be the most stable. The location spell is permanent, but it’s still impossible to have a perpetual power source, so I designed it to gather energy through the Pony being tracked, and the one searching for the Pony. This is possible if the stone is touching the Pony’s hair or anything from their body. The simplicity of the obsidian producing heat when facing the correct direction, and the increase in intensity when closer, means the stone will have enough magical energy to operate without harming the use. There was one..."

It was all A.J. needed to read. She stowed the scroll back in the box while taking out the necklace to slip around her head, pulling her mane free from the chain and replacing her hat.. The stone felt cool against her chest.. If this thing worked, then she needed to find some hair that belonged to Dash, but she couldn’t think of anywhere nearby that...

An idea struck her, and she ran back downstairs and over to another bookshelf that was not demolished. The shelf was labeled ‘Fiction’, and it only took a moment for her to find the books she was looking for. She grabbed one, and let it fall on the binding to let it open. The book laid out to one of the last pages in the book, one that was bookmarked with a light blue feather. This must have been the closest thing Rainbow had on her to save her page. A.J. looked at the feather that laid among the page, and couldn’t help but smile at the memory of Dash first discovering her love for adventure in books.

A.J. took the feather and painstakingly tied it to the stone using a few strands of her own hair to hold it together. She waited, and held her breath a few moments, then a pulse of heat entered her chest that shocked the baited breath from her lungs. the heat continued to spread through her, and encapsulated her whole body. A.J. was surprised how good the warmth felt, but then the sensation was stolen away in an instant, leaving her cold and shivering. She pulled her body close to try and gain some warmth back. A quarter of an hour passed before her body warmed past the point of shaking.

The stone was warm though. A.J. turned a full circle on the floor. When she faced east, it seemed to pulsate and send heat back into her, but it didn’t rob her like it did before, nor was it as intense of a heart. It was just... telling. She could only hope that this charm would lead her to Dash.

The light outside was starting to dim, and with it, her time. A.j. started to run towards the door leading outside, but stopped, looked around, and found paper back at the desk. She took the time to write out a note for Twilight when she came back. A.J. also left the letter she found, with the photo of Dash’s supposed parents with it. Twilight would know better than her what to do, but there was just no time to wait. Every second was an increase of the danger that Rainbow Dash was in.

A.J. ran then. She ran to the train station situated at the edge of town. The train had already began to move, but it was easy enough for her to gain enough speed to jump into one of the entry ways that dotted the sides. There was no other train till morning, A.J. could not afford to wait that long.

She rushed past the passenger car and, ignoring the stares of the other passengers, rushed to the caboose of the train. She burst open the door that led to the end and stopped to look at the receding town that marked her home. She needed to see it leave.

Memories flashed by.

She had left before, but nothing like this.

It was rumored that death awaited outside of Equestria.

The sun began to give way to the shadow of night as it disappeared behind Ponyville, leaving the land in the care of Luna, and her iconic moon.

As the train continued to pull away, Apple Jack could just make out the smell of apple blossoms, the comforting scent bringing nothing but tears as it faded away.