• Published 5th Oct 2018
  • 1,610 Views, 10 Comments

Once in a New Moon - MagnetBolt



A thousand years ago, two ponies were in love. Dangerous, dirty, painful love. A love that crushes like a mace.

  • ...
9
 10
 1,610

Waning Influence

“Thank you for coming down here to meet me, your highnesses,” Ebon Shade said. The small unicorn - small even by the standards of normal stallions, not just in comparison to the sisters - almost seemed swallowed up by the cloak he wore as a uniform of his station.

“Of course,” Luna said. “Thank you for looking into this. You will be well compensated for your efforts.”

Ebon Shade nodded and motioned to the center of the hall.

“It’s taken a few days to tease it out without destroying the essence, but there’s no doubt,” Ebon Shade said. “There was something done to the Elements.”

He led Celestia and Luna to stand near the vault.

“Don’t come any closer than that,” he warned. “I’m not sure what would happen. We had to use very delicate detection spells to find this.”

His horn lit up, and a thin circle of magic appeared around the vault, the shimmering lines hanging in the air a hoofwidth above the marble floor.

“What is that?” Luna asked.

“I think it’s some kind of enchantment, Sister,” Celestia said. “Was this in place before we opened the vault?”

“It had to be,” Ebon Shade said. “Nopony has been in here except the investigators Luna hoof-picked for their trustworthiness.”

“And the purpose of this spell?” Luna asked.

“I can’t tell you the specifics, but I know some of this is from Star Swirl’s writings. It’s a configuration I’ve never seen before.” Ebon Shade paced around the perimeter. “I think this is a trap. It might have been designed to…”

He trailed off, throat dry.

“Just say it,” Luna snapped.

“It might have been designed to cause the reaction you saw,” he admitted. “But I fear it may have been worse than that. It’s entirely possible it was designed to sever your connection to the Elements entirely.”

“Sever--” Luna gasped, wings drooping. “That is impossible!”

“Why would a pony do this?” Celestia demanded. “The Elements are our greatest weapon against threats to Equestria!”

“You’ll have to ask the pony who did it,” Ebon Shade said. “And I don’t know who it is, but they must have had access to Star Swirl’s writings. It’s the only way they’d know how to even start putting this together. I don’t think I could manage it myself.”

“We will find them,” Celestia said. “And we’ll reverse whatever was done.”

She wrapped Luna in a hug.


The castle seemed different tonight. More open. Returning to her room, passing by the night guards that patrolled the hallway, there was a sense of acceptance and camaraderie. During the day the guards stood like statues, most of them doing their best to stay totally still even when they were alone with Celestia.

As she walked through the halls tonight, she was greeted, received friendly nods from heads crested with tufted ears, and didn’t have to hear the prattling of the nobles that seemed to find her only when she most wanted to be alone.

She wasn’t alone tonight, and it was freeing. It was like she’d stepped off the pedestal she was expected to sit on and could be the normal pony she’d been so many years ago.

“Oh, hello,” Celestia said, stopping at her door. “I apologize. I was expecting Oak Warden.”

The batpony at her door saluted, his dark armor gleaming. “Ma’am, I’m told he’s assisting Princess Luna’s investigators with their task in the Hall.”

Celestia smiled. “That’s good. He’s one of the best ponies in the Royal Guard. I assume Luna sent you to serve as his replacement?”

“I’ve been ordered to watch over you, Ma’am,” he said, nodding.

“Could you pass along a message for me?” Celestia asked. “Tell Oak Warden that I appreciate him looking into this.”

“Of course, Ma’am,” the batpony bowed.

“And can I have your name?”

“Lieutenant Imbrium, your highness. It’s a pleasure to serve you and Princess Luna.” He nodded to the door. “Speaking of which, she’s awaiting you inside.”

“Excellent.” Celestia grinned. “Please make sure we’re not disturbed.”


Celestia struggled.

She could have escaped the black silk ribbons binding her in place on the bed, head down and tail up, but she didn’t. Instead, she just struggled, putting on a show of being helpless for Luna, because she knew her sister liked it.

“You’ve been a very naughty pony, Celestia,” Luna whispered.

Celestia mumbled through the knot of rubber in her mouth, blushing and trying to push back towards her sister.

Luna tugged her tail sharply.

“How immodest!” Luna chided, clicking her tongue with mock disapproval. ”A proper lady wouldn’t lift her tail like that.”

The bed creaked as Luna moved, kissing Celestia’s hooves.

“Of course, a proper lady wouldn’t let her sister tie her up.”

Celestia moaned as Luna’s tongue found a more sensitive place to tease for a moment before her weight shifted, straddling Celestia and pressing her into the bed with her weight.

“Just one last touch to make sure you can’t get away so easily.”

A ring slid down Celestia’s horn, cutting off her magic in an instant, the cold iron blocking it at the source like ice thrown on a fire.

Celestia’s struggles became more real. She realized the silk was stronger than she thought, and the knots expertly tied.

“Mm. I can taste it,” Luna said, licking her lips. “Are you excited, or just scared?”

Celestia tried to say something around the gag in her mouth.

“Are you worried about what I’ll do with you at my mercy?” Luna leaned down to whisper in her ear, tickling Celestia’s ear until she suddenly lunged an inch closer and bit it hard enough to nearly draw blood.

Celestia cried out in surprise at the sudden sharp pain, looking back at Luna, her little sister’s eyes glowing in the dim light of the dozen or so candles around the room.

“Are you afraid of me?” Luna hissed, through teeth clenched in a broad grin. Her horn lit up with a shade that didn’t illuminate the darkness so much as simply offer a different shade of black, and she produced a slim switch from the darkness.

Celestia whimpered.

Luna licked the tip, making sure her sister got a good look at it before she brought it down on the back of Celestia’s expansive thighs, first one, then the other, the cracks against her flesh so close together they felt like a single lash.

“You are my little pony, Celestia,” Luna said. “You might have ponies convinced you’re the brave elder sister on top of everything, but in here, I am the only pony on top.”

The switch dragged along Celestia’s thigh, tickling at the thin lines the light strikes had already raised.

A crack like splitting stone, and a line of sharp, red-hot pain erupted along Celestia’s cutie mark. She wailed through the gag in her mouth, tears streaking down her cheeks.

“Shhh…” Luna whispered, kissing her sister’s neck. “Part of you enjoys it, sister. You know where you belong.”

Another line of pain erupted across Celestia’s other mark.

“Under me,” Luna continued, ignoring Tia’s cries to stop. “You wouldn’t have to worry about all that responsibility. You’d just have to make me happy, and I’d make you happy.”

She rolled her hips for emphasis, pressing her body against her sister’s.

Celestia moaned, her tail twitching.

The two became one, bodies moving together. The room filled with the soft sounds of joy punctuated by sharp gasps when the switch hit vulnerable flesh.

The candles burned down around the two, both measuring the time in the play of their bodies instead of the ticking of a clock.

Their bodies stilled as exhaustion overcame them, the pleasure and pain petering out into a warm, comfortable haze.

The silk ribbons slowly unraveled in Luna’s blue aura, and she helped ease her sister into a more comfortable position, both of them still panting and dripping with sweat.

“Did you have to be so rough?” Celestia asked, when the gag finally came free of her mouth, marked where she’d bitten into the rubber at some of Luna’s harder ministrations.

Luna’s hoof ran over the welt across her sister’s sun, and Celestia flinched at the sensation.

“I wanted to give you something to remember me by,” Luna said. “Something that will last longer than a kiss.”

She kissed Celestia anyway.

“Thank you for trusting me,” Luna whispered.


It was difficult to sit on the throne the next morning. The welts were still visible, and made sitting in the already-uncomfortable seat almost intolerable.

And yet she didn’t shy away from ponies looking. She didn’t try to hide it. There was a thrill to letting them see, to making a hint of what she’d done with Luna public.

Celestia couldn’t stop blushing, and she’d smile if she were in any other company.

“I see Duke Monde isn’t here today,” Celestia said. She couldn’t disguise the fact that she was pleased not to have to deal with him. “Does anypony know if he will be joining us?”

“I believe he was last seen leaving the city.” The voice came from one of the darker corners, only a few ponies standing well away from the rest of the nobility. Leathery wings at her side explained why she seemed so out of place, and why Celestia didn’t recognize her.

“Is that so?” Celestia asked.

“I’m afraid so,” the batpony mare said. She smiled and bowed. “Dame Astra, m’lady. I usually attend Princess Luna’s court, but I decided to see how the other side lives, as it were.”

“It’s a pleasure to have you,” Celestia assured her.

“Thank you, your highness. Your sister speaks of you often, when she isn’t visiting you herself.” Dame Astra smiled wider, showing the short fangs most of her kind were known for. “She’s never happier than after she spends time with you.”

Celestia nodded, her cheeks burning and not trusting herself to speak coherently.

“What they’re doing is unnatural,” somepony whispered, just loud enough for Celestia to hear it.

“Who said that?” Celestia demanded, her voice booming in what became sudden silence, her good mood vanishing with the snide comment. The echoes met terror and the pony who’d spoken wisely decided not to identify themselves. Guards around the room stood firmly at attention, prepared to spring into action.

All of them wore the black armor of Luna’s guards.

“We’re simply concerned, your highness,” Lady Coterie said. “All those bruises, and the rumors we’ve heard…”

“What we do in the privacy of our quarters is none of your business!” Celestia snapped. “It is not a subject for debate, nor one for gossip among the group of clucking hens that currently call themselves the Noble Council!”

Lady Coterie paled, backing away from the furious alicorn.

“Whatever rumors you have heard, I suggest you keep them to yourselves,” Celestia said. “I will not have myself or my sister slandered!”

Nopony stepped up to fill the gap Lady Coterie had vacated at the head of the cowed gaggle of nobleponies. All of them kept their distance from the throne, as if afraid Celestia might lunge from it and strike them down.

A shadow crossed over the room, looming over the ponies shying away. Their fear turned to panic, and somepony’s courage broke, the pony fleeing for the doors, only to run into darkly armored batponies guarding the portal.

“They’re hardly rumors, Sister, when you bear the marks on your own flanks.”

Luna stepped in front of her, smiling enigmatically.

Celestia blushed as her sister’s tail trailed against the welts.

“Perhaps I was a bit too rough,” Luna admitted. “I apologize.”

“It’s fine, Luna,” Celestia said. “I enjoyed our time together.”

She started to stand, and Luna held up a hoof to stop her.

“No, Sister, please,” Luna said. “I am a guest in your court. I wish to bring a proposal before the Court and Crown.” She gave the crowd a reassuring smile. “This is not an order, merely something I wish to discuss.”

“You have the floor,” Celestia said.

Luna nodded.

“Night Court has often been empty, and I have had much time to think,” Luna said, starting to pace before the crowd of nobleponies. “There has been a considerable amount of tension as of late. I wish to restore the harmony and peace that Equestria deserves. We should have a holiday. A celebration showing that Celestia and I are not enemies or even merely allies, but that we are one.”

Luna’s horn blazed, and the sky appeared above them, the sun and moon glowing with her blue magic. They spun around each other before uniting, the moon passing in front of the sun, a ring blazing around the darkness

“An eclipse?” Celestia asked.

“Yes,” Luna said, circling the throne like a shark. “It’s the best way to show everypony that we’re united. It’s something nopony can ignore. The sun and moon sharing the sky.”

“It sounds beautiful,” Dame Astra said, over the murmurs and fearful looks of the majority of the court. “A wonderful symbol of unity.”

“Indeed!” Luna boomed. “Is there anypony that will second the motion?”

A nervous hoof was raised.

“Excellent,” Luna said. “You see, Celestia? All they need is a strong leader. With Duke Monde gone, the atmosphere is much improved, as well.”


Above Celestia, the night sky stretched out endlessly, black reaching from horizon to horizon, filling her field of view.

She’d never seen so many stars, twinkling and shimmering and full of subtle color. The constellations changed as she looked at them, stars moving and shifting like the surface of the sea. An aurora of blue and purple light curved across the universe, outlining a shape as big as the cosmos.

The moon blinked, and the shape snapped into focus.

The aurora detailed the curves of a face, cheekbones, the line of a jaw. It loomed over her, beauty turning into claustrophobic terror as it opened up its maw and howled.

Celestia felt her body fall apart.

She couldn’t breathe. The darkness was smothering her. Trapping her in a web.

Celestia kicked, panicking, instincts taking over.

Her chin hit the marble floor. The blanket came free of her snout. She could breathe again. The panic receded.

She panted, looking around, still trying to find the terrible dark thing that had destroyed the world, but it was gone like it had never existed.

“Just a dream,” she whispered, taking a deep breath. The fear refused to leave, and she stood on shaking hooves.

It was hours before sunrise, but she wasn’t able to get back to sleep, the shadows moving in the corner of her eyes, the horror lingering in a way that hadn’t happened since she was a foal.


The bright, open sky outside in the tea garden did much to soothe Celestia’s nerves, the last of the tension dissolving from her shoulders as she sipped at the mint and orange peel flavor of the latest mix her maids had brought her.

She’d already canceled court for the day. At sunrise she’d been so fatigued that she’d been unable to move the sun for a long moment, and panic had seized her, the crushing fear from her nightmare taking over for a moment.

If Luna hadn’t been there to help, she wasn’t sure she could have managed.

“It’s interesting,” Dame Astra said, the teacup clicking against her short fangs as she sipped. In the bright morning light, the batpony was using a parasol and tinted glasses to shield herself from the sun’s rays.

“Interesting is one way to put it,” Celestia agreed. “I think the staff challenges themselves to come up with combinations that have never been tried before.”

“It reminds me of a dish I’ve had before. Grilled melon steaks with a mint sauce.” Astra took another sip. “I think if it was a smoked tea instead of green, it would be more balanced.”

One of the maids standing to the side surreptitiously made a note. Celestia suspected there would be a week of lapsang souchong while they tried a few variations on the theme.

“Thank you for having tea with me,” Celestia said. “Lord Noblesse used to join me, but he’s been troubled as of late.”

“I’ve heard,” Dame Astra said, putting the cup down. “It’s just as well.”

Celestia frowned. “I enjoyed his company. His leaving is difficult. I have few real friends in the nobility.”

“I’m sure he was a nice stallion,” Astra conceded. “It’s just…”

Celestia raised an eyebrow.

The batpony sighed and continued. “Everypony knew you were close to him. It wasn’t proper.”

“Nothing improper happened. We were just friends.”

“I know Princess Luna didn’t like you spending time with him,” Astra said. “She didn’t like competing for your affection when you belong to her.”


Tia started at the knock on her door, half-asleep at her desk, unable to recall anything that she’d read of the tax proposal that had been sitting among a pile of other, less-urgent paperwork for too long.

Luna had taken over the more critical work. It was a kindness, taking some of that burden off her shoulders.

“Come in,” Celestia called out.

The door squeaked as it was forced open. A small, dark-coated unicorn looked at her, then looked around the room in terror, as if expecting something to jump out at him.

“Are you alone?” Ebon Shade asked, his voice hoarse.

"Calm down," Celestia said, picking up the unicorn like he was a foal and putting him down on a pillow. She sniffed at the air. "Have you been drinking?"

"You'd be drinking too if you knew what I did," Ebon said.

"Why don't you tell me about it so I can help you?" Celestia suggested.

"Princess Luna, she..." Ebon swallowed. "I didn't think it would happen. I thought she knew I was loyal!"

"You're not making any sense." Celestia wrapped a blanket around his shaking shoulders. "Calm down. You're safe."

He glanced at her flanks. The welts had almost entirely healed, just faint pink lines now.

"I didn't know where else to go," he whispered. "She's probably already sent ponies after me."

"Why would she do that?" Celestia asked.

"Because she doesn't need me anymore," he whispered.

Celestia smiled down at him, trying to put him at ease. “Don’t be silly. You’re one of her most trusted Court Mages. You even found the enchantment they put on the Elements! If you’re worried you’re not up to the task, I assure you that even Luna and I have problems with some of the spells Star Swirl left behind, and he was our personal tutor.”

"There... there was no enchantment on the Elements," Ebon said, wilting. "Luna put a bag of bits in my hooves and told me what she wanted to hear me say."

"Luna would never do that!"

"She got rid of so many other ponies," he said, eyes glazed over with terror, not listening to Celestia. "I thought if I played along I'd be safe!"

"You're not making any sense!"

"I've seen them! The guards watching my home! The ones all over this castle! She got to them first!"

"Don't be silly," Celestia sighed. "The Royal Guard is composed of the most dedicated, loyal ponies--"

"When was the last time you saw one in gold armor?" Ebon challenged.

Celestia frowned, trying to recall. It had been a few days, around the time Oak Warden had left to help with the investigation.

"She replaced them, she's getting rid of the nobles that don't fall in line, and she's going to get rid of me so I don't tell anypony the truth!"

The doors burst open without even a pretense of knocking. Three ponies in black armor stormed in, fixing their glares on Ebon and stalking towards him without a word.

Celestia spread her wings and stepped between them.

“Please step aside, your highness,” Lieutenant Imbrium said. The batpony looked up and met her gaze. “This stallion is a dangerous criminal. We’re under orders to take him into custody.”

"He's hardly dangerous," Celestia said. "I have control of the situation. You can return to your duties."

"We're under orders from Princess Luna," Imbrium insisted. "Please step out of the way."

Celestia frowned. "I'm giving you new orders. Leave us."

"I'm sorry, Ma'am." The guards started going around her, circling towards Ebon. The unicorn shrieked and tried to get away, backing up to the wall.

"I said no!" Celestia's horn blazed, and the guards collapsed in magical sleep.

She stood in the center of the room, breathing heavily. She felt drained. Not from the magic she'd used, but from the restless nights wearing her down.

"Where are the others imprisoned?" Celestia asked, quietly.


"I can't let you in, Ma'am," the warden said, shaking in fear but still standing strong against the angry princess despite his armor jangling as he quivered.

"Master Sergeant Compass Needle," Celestia said, emphasizing every syllable of his name like she was memorizing it. "You have a wife and two foals. You're a good pony. You've served us for two decades. Why are you doing this now?"

A tear rolled down his cheek. "My foals are sick. Princess Luna, she-- she's the only one who can help. They can't sleep, and it only gets better as long as I follow her orders!"

"That's been going around," Celestia whispered. "Oh Luna, why..."

"Please, Princess, just turn around. I can't let you through!"

"Compass Needle, you're a very brave pony," Celestia said. "You know you can't stop me. I can understand risking everything for your foals."

He nodded, gripping his spear tightly.

"Everypony in Equestria has been like a foal to me. I promise I'll do what I can to help your children."

Her horn blazed.

He squeezed his eyes shut, and was slammed into the wall, not hard enough to permanently damage him but enough to knock him out and leave him bruised enough to satisfy anypony who came looking.

Celestia tore the wrought-iron gate from the wall and stepped into the castle dungeon.

It had never been full. At most, it held a half-dozen or so ponies awaiting justice. It was intended to be a place to put ponies until she and Luna could decide what to do with them, not a place to let them linger and suffer.

From the smell, too many ponies had been here for far too long already.

Celestia lit the torches along the walls, and dozens of eyes looked at her from the dark recesses of the cells. Some of them she recognized instantly. Most she didn't.

She wrenched the doors open.

"I'm sorry," she said, her voice failing her, coming out as little more than a breath.

"It's good to see you, Princess," General Firefly said, saluting, voice rough and dry. They looked like they hadn't had a bath or a decent meal in too long. "What are your orders?"

"I'm not worthy to give you orders," Celestia replied. "I failed you."

"You can't win every battle," Firefly said, putting a hoof on her fetlock, making her look up from her hooves and into the General's eyes. "What's important is that you don't stop fighting. You're our Princess."

Celestia took a deep breath, steadying herself. "Luna is holding court," she said, eventually. "I'm going to confront her."

"We'll make a quick stop at the armory and join you." Oak Warden saluted. "Sorry for failing you, Ma'am."

"You didn't fail me." Celestia swallowed. "You're not to join me. I'll confront Luna alone. You were already in danger and I won't have you caught between us. I fear I won't be able to talk her down."

"I'm your personal guard, Ma'am," Oak Warden said. "I can't let you go into danger alone."

"I need you to keep the civilians safe." Celestia motioned to the other ponies with her wing. "Get them out of the castle, then do what you can to convince the Night Guard to stand down."

"And if they won't?" General Firefly asked.

"If they won't..." Celestia hesitated. "Do what you must. Try not to kill them. I can't fault them for loving Luna. Not when I fell into the same trap."


The throne room was empty. Shadows filled the spaces where the Council should have been, gloom clinging to the walls like cobwebs, the far corners of the room all but invisible.

Celestia found herself paralyzed near the doors, like she didn’t belong here, like this wasn’t her throne room.

“Hello, Sister.” Luna’s voice echoed around the chamber. “It’s much nicer without all those useless noble fops, isn’t it?”

“Where are you?” Celestia asked.

A dark navy light, the stygian blue that appeared behind one’s eyelids, didn’t shine through the tangle of shadows so much as simply offer another shade of black against the midnight background.

Luna stepped out of the glow. “I dismissed the Council,” she explained. “No more of those annoying rumors and backstabbing fakes calling themselves noble when they’ve never done anything worthwhile with their lives.”

“We can’t just dismiss them, Luna, we need them to-”

“We don’t need them for anything,” Luna snapped, her gaze as hard as steel. “It used to be just you and me, Celestia. We didn’t need anypony else.”

Celestia looked down. “Things are different now.”

“That’s because they used to have an enemy,” Luna said. “Discord was a monster that hunted them at every waking moment. They followed us because it was simple. Us versus Him. They listened without question because we were working against a deadly foe. They could understand that. Then Sombra came around, and they could understand that. There was always something other that they could blame for their misfortunes.”

“We worked hard to get rid of those threats.”

“It’s too much for two Princesses, Celestia. You’re right about that. You’re just wrong about the solution. The nobility? Middle management between us and our little ponies? It was the wrong answer.” Luna shook her head. “We made a mistake. A herd of ponies can’t follow two masters. Even when we’re both working together, they get confused and scared.”

Luna stood between the two thrones, looming larger than both of them put together.

“What they need isn’t two Princesses, it’s one Queen. An absolute ruler. It’s the natural state of things.”

“And you want to be the Queen,” Celestia whispered.

Luna smiled, her expression softening. She stepped down the short flight of stairs from the thrones to where her sister stood, kissing her cheek.

“You never wanted to rule,” Luna muttered. “I love you, Celestia. I can see how hard it is for you. You hate telling ponies no. They walk all over you, my beloved sister. You’re just not ready to rule on your own.”

“I’m not a foal,” Celestia said, her ears folding back.

“Of course you aren’t!” Luna nuzzled her. “You’re my other half. I love you, and I want you at my side.”

“But not as a ruler.”

Luna rolled her eyes and pulled away, walking around Celestia to her sister’s rear.

"You have no will to wield power," Luna said. "Your body and mind already submit to me whenever we're alone. Won't it be nicer once you can stop fighting? When you can just let me take care of everything for you?"

"The important thing is to never stop fighting," Celestia whispered.

"Those aren't your words. You loved when you were able to stop struggling. When I started making decisions for you. When I took you and made you a toy." Her tail lashed against Celestia's flank. "Once my Night Guards have put the prisoners back in their cells, we'll discuss your rightful place."

Luna leaned in and nibbled Celestia's neck.

"Under me."

Celestia shoved her away, cheeks bright red.

"I am not going to abandon the ponies of Equestria for you, Luna!"

Luna laughed, walking away and ignoring her.

"You've betrayed my trust, and the trust of the ponies we care for," Celestia said. "I demand you stop this. If you apologize and beg forgiveness, some day they might--"

"Beg forgiveness?!" Luna yelled, turning on her, eyes blazing. "You ask me to beg?! They are mine to do with what I please! And so are you!"

Luna's horn blazed, and Celestia was forced to her knees by a terrible magical pressure, as cold and sudden as jumping into a mountain spring.

"I was saving the Eclipse for a special occasion. A symbol that I finally took my rightful place as the sole pony at the top."

"They-they'll never let you--"

"They wouldn't let little Luna rule them, perhaps," she agreed. "I have another name in mind. Something they'll learn to respect and worship."

"Nightmare Moon," Celestia whispered.

"It has a ring to it, doesn't it?" Luna smiled.

Celestia struggled to her hooves, lurching toward the thrones.

"Not one more step!" Luna snapped, her mirth vanishing. "There can only be one princess in Equestria! And that princess will be me!"