• Published 30th Sep 2018
  • 499 Views, 2 Comments

Mr. Brightside - Featherflutter



A struggling Time Turner works to push himself past his lost love for Ditzy

  • ...
 2
 499

Mr. Brightside [Unedited]

Author's Note:

I enjoy this blog because Time Turner's situation of being mistaken as a girl reminded me that I was mistaken as a girl multiple times while doing clinicals for my CNA. There, that's a thing you know about me now. Please go check out that blog if you want some better context as to what is happening in this story. http://asknurseturner.tumblr.com/
Also If you didn't notice the title, I put a challenge on myself to wedge all the lyrics of Mr. Brightside into this story. It probably will be obvious, but I still found the challenge fun.

*Bzzt* Paging Nurse Turner to room 202 *Bzzt*

“That’s my cue,” Turner said as he grabbed his chart, beginning to trot down to the new mother’s room.

The halls of the hospital, while cold and sterile, still teemed with life and energy, welcoming the weak and weary and those who took the mantle to serve them. Dusk had already set outside, the preview of landscape through a hall window showing the world bathed in gray and true blue. He never wasted these quick preludes to the excitement of his job, giving him indispensable time to prepare himself for the unknown.

Turner reached the room and found the door was open. He walked in and knocked on the door anyway, “Hello? Was there anything I can assist you with?” He asked, looking between the couple and the newly born filly they held between them.

“Sorry to bother you, but we were just wondering when we could leave?” The stallion asked, looking up at the nurse, rings around his eyes and a weary smile on his face. “We are just so excited to get our new little filly into her nursery and snuggled up,”

Turner smiled, “I will check with your doctor,” He took a quick glance at the chart for the two patients, “But, it does look like you are all set, test wise. So I will send the doctor in as soon as possible, alright?”

“Thank you very much. That was all, miss.” The mare said, only having glanced at the nurse in the doorway due to the preoccupation of the giggling, gurgling foal that curiously explored the features of her mom’s face.

Lightly blushing, Turner nodded to the two and left the room. He walked back to the nurse’s station, moving loose strands of hair out of his field of vision.

“Someone else mistake you for a mare?” Head nurse Redheart asked as he approached his chair.

Turner blushed even more, “What gave it away?”

“You tend to fiddle with your hair more, plus you were blushing a bit. Now you’re blushing more which confirms it.” Redheart gave a brief chuckle before moving back to work mode. “Anyway, how’s your shift going?”

“About as normal as things get around here, how about you?” Turner asked, sparing the moment to neglect contacting a doctor.

“I’ve been doing just fine!” Redheart said in an overtly joyous tone before getting a small chuckle out of Turner. “Actually, I just sent nurse Rhyme in to calm the fussing foals in the nursery. Now they’re going to bed.” Redheart said, letting out a sigh.

“She does have a talent for that, doesn’t she? Gorgeous voice. I remember hearing her singing for the first time, certainly had me swimming through sick lullabies.” Turner yawned. “ Now, I’m falling asleep just thinking about it. You remember that, too, right?” Turner reminisced hearing singing and then all of a sudden waking up.

“Do I ever? It wasn’t exactly fun, but I managed to keep you from being backlogged on work. She really knocked you out, didn’t sh-”

The telltale alarm came on for a new patient, bringing them both to attention, “Well, it looks like destiny is calling me.” Tuner said as he adjusted his nurse’s cap and started toward the arrival bay.


“We’ll catch up after work, sound good?” Redheart called out.

“Sounds great!” Turner said as he moved around the corner and out of sight.

Nurse Redheart smiled warmly, going back to her charting and paperwork.

……………..

Though the night was brisk, it didn’t matter to the two who plastered their sides next to each other as they walked down the cobbled roads. Echoes accompanied them on their journey, as others are seldom out so late at night, as they talked and laughed their way into warmth.

“-and I didn’t honestly think she’d do it, but a minute later, there went Nurse sweetheart barreling down the hall with a pack of foals following her as she left a candy trail. Honestly, I don’t think she works a day in her life if she’s having that much fun with her job.” Redheart said, opting to look at the road for only moments before turning her attention to the feminine stallion she was next to.

Turner thought for a moment, trying to envision it, then quickly burst out laughing, “I will say, that does sound like a lot of fun.”

The night passed uneventfully as they continued to Redheart’s home. That left time for Turner to whimsically sneak glances at Redheart and ruminate, This all feels like a dream. It’s amazing that she actually likes me. Flashes of Ditzy with Special Delivery began to leech into the forefront of his mind. Immediately, his smile soured and his thoughts, jumbled. That kiss. It started out with that kiss, now look. How did it end up like this? Turner returned his gaze upon Redheart who caught his eye and smiled at him It was only a kiss. It was only a kiss. The small mantra somehow calmed him, leaving a warmth to spread across his face and a pit of butterflies swarming in his stomach. Now my stomach is sick. Lovely.

Turner looked to the road, seeing that Redheart’s house was rapidly approaching. Before he knew it, they were at the door. “Well, I guess this is so long for now,” Redheart said, reaching for her keys in her jacket.

“TTFN” Turner mused as he gave a last smile and wave to the mare who most occupied his thoughts now.

Redheart returned the wave and the smile before shutting her door, so not to let the cold air seep into her home.

Turner let out a small sigh before resuming his walk home. Another exhausting day topped off with a lovely eve-

“Hey, Turner!” Called a voice behind him.

The stallion immediately turned around to see Redheart hanging out of her door frame, “Yeah?” He called back.

“After work on Friday, wanna go out to dinner?” Redheart asked

Turner stood shocked. Like a date? Wow! “Uh, yeah sure. I’d love to!” He exclaimed happily.

“Sounds good! See you tomorrow” Once again, Turner resumed his journey home.

After closing the door again, Redheart stood there a moment, still taking in the fact that-that worked. A wide smile made its way onto her face as she tiptoed on her hooves with excitement.

Turner, whistled into the chilly night so to keep himself company as he made his way home. Other than the occasional shiver and blowing hair out of his eyes, the last stretch was uneventful. Exhausted, as always, Turner wasted no time in his nightly routine before promptly falling asleep.

It’s hard to describe the feeling of being cheated on by a pony you’ve never admitted your feelings to. It’s like a horrible taste that won’t leave your mouth whenever you think about it. I try not to think of it much, if at all. That moment, that singular action. I want to know why, I want to watch it over and over to figure out what led to that, but a part of me won’t let me. I just can’t look. It’s killing me and taking control. That’s why I tend not to think about it. It just hurts too much. I don’t want to think anything ill of her. I never would, but the thought that I might haunts me. Jealousy, such a rubbish concept. I guess it infects everyone. Even if I had told her, would I have been too late? I would just have complicated things for her and Special Delivery. I didn’t want to do that. Especially since she was due. There were bigger things going on than just...just love. Why can’t I have normal dreams anymore? These other voices are driving me crazy as is, and it’s all in my head. No one else can hear them, save for mom, which I still don’t understand. Now I have to deal with literal therapy sessions with myself in my dreams. But that’s just the price I pay, isn’t it? I’m not sure what I did to deserve this, but I guess I can’t complain all that much.......I think I’m done now, let me go. Turner said, restrained by the vest that Coldheart once said was waiting for him, as he stared at himself in a longer lab coat. The lab coat Turner nodded and undid all the straps, successfully waking up the real Time Turner.

……………..

Even though Friday was only a couple days away from when the idea was proposed, time felt like it had slowed to a crawl for the two, making every day in between feel like a week of its own. Each day held nothing exciting for either to get lost into, and the day of the ‘date’ was filled with pent up tension, though not enough to affect their work. It especially didn’t help when Turner showed up to work late.

Rushing through the halls and trying not to be seen by the head nurse, Turner briskly maneuvered past other nurses before getting to the nurse’s break room, home free.

“Turner!” Redheart called to him from behind.

She has a consistent habit of doing that, doesn’t she? Turner thought to himself as he tucked away the black bag he had behind his nurses uniform on his back. “Yes, Nurse Redheart?” He asked, smiling at her.

“You’re late! We’ve got two patients that have come in that specifically requested you. They’ve been waiting for well over an hour, so I suggest you have them as top priority, anyway. Where were you?” Redheart maintained her professionalism at all costs, trying not to give any hints to the other nurses.

“I, uh, well, I was,” Turner stammered, being all of a sudden questioned like that hadn’t given him enough time for an excuse.

“Choking on your alibis, again? Fine, doesn’t matter. Just get in uniform and get to work” Redheart said, similarly to that of a drill instructor.

“Y-y-yes ma'am!” He called out before quickly clocking in and getting ready.

That brief fiasco was the most amount of excitement they got during their shifts, but it was enough to make the day go just a bit faster. By the time their shifts ended, the work was done, the papers filed, and the examination rooms cleaned. After clocking out, Turner went back to his locker to grab the black bag that he had, opening it up to reveal an only slightly wrinkled royal blue button up shirt and his green tie. He smiled and promptly put the accessories on.

Turner gave himself a once over before leaving the room and heading towards the hospital entrance. Waiting there for him was Redheart, beautiful long hair free flowing down the length of her neck, a small smile resting on her face as she watched the world go by through the window. “So where did you have in mind?” Turner asked as he walked up to her.

“I’m not sure, did you have an-” Redheart turned around to see the properly dressed stallion before her. “Wow, you cleaned up, didn’t you?” She said as she admired the attire.

Turner blushed a bit, “well, we are going out to dinner, aren’t we? I thought it’d be best to dress for the occasion,”

Redheart nodded, “Well color me unprepared, then. Anyway, did you have a place in mind to go?”

Turner chuckled, “Not really. I guess we could go to that one cafe that’s a couple blocks from here. I believe they’re open 24/7. That sound good?”

“I’d be happy with that, sure. Let’s head there,” Redheart began to leave with Turner in tow. “So I take it that’s the reason you were late for work today?” Redheart pointed to Turners outfit.

“Eh, yeah. I was a bit too indecisive about what to wear. This type of clothing isn’t my strong suit. Sorry about that” Turner said as they began to walk side by side.

“Oh, it’s fine. I was just upset from a previous patient I had to help with before you came in. Obviously I can’t tell you their name, but I come into the room to find a couple in there smoking!” Redheart emphasized the last part with an incredulous look that she shared with Turner.

“Smoking? Wouldn’t the alarms have gone off if they were smoking?”

“That’s what I thought! Either they had just started, or the smoke alarm is faulty. Anyway, While he’s having a smoke, I noticed the mare, who was the actual patient, was on Oxygen! I’m not sure where we got these ponies, but did I ever give them an earful.” Redheart shuddered slightly just remembering the event, “So after I turn off the Oxygen and start chewing out the stallion, I briefly look over to the mare and you know what she’s doing?”

“What is she doing?” Turner asked, intrigued further by the story that he missed by being late.

“She’s taking a drag from the cigarette the stallion had and trying to turn the Oxygen back on! I stopped her and just flat out asked her why she was doing that. She told me ‘Because I want it all’ as if it were a reasonable answer! After that, I left and got Coldheart to resolve the situation, because clearly it was out of my realm of expertise.” Redheart threw a hoof into the air, chuckling to herself in hindsight of it all.

Turner joined her, “Well, now I’m really sorry for missing out on such an interesting event.”

“All in all, it ended with them being kicked out of the hospital. Turned out that there wasn’t anything wrong with her, physically. After they got kicked out, I watched from a window and the stallion immediately bolted leaving her. She was looking confused and wandered around the perimeter of the hospital. After a minute or so she’s calling a cab and I decided it was time to get back to work. So yeah, I wasn’t in the best of moods when you came in. Sorry about that” Redheart gave Turner that same smile she gave him all those nights ago.

Turner shook his head, “It’s fine. No harm or foul, and it wasn’t like you had a bad reason to be angry. Anyway, we’re here. Let’s find a seat” he said as he held the door open for Redheart.

The cafe was moderately filled, but not to the point where it was hard for them to get a table for themselves. The night carried on with more stories, accidental shared glances, multiple refills on tea and water, and a progressive yawn that soon became too undeniable to ignore. With the blink of an eye, it was time to go home.

Through dreary eyes, the two ventured out into the night, hoping the cool air would sober them up. Though it did help, there was still a fog between the two. The alleyways and guttersnipes became more noticeable through this haze, or maybe it was due to the full moon. Either way, the narrow paths were illuminated more, exposing some of the grime of ponyville. The mood became a bit more real as a scene started playing out in an alley they passed.

Two giggling ponies met one another, smiling and kissing until they tripped on some boxes. Still giggling like a bunch of foals, they continued their advances onto each other. What looked to be a mare got on top of the presumed stallion. “Ya gotta...gotta be down for this, sweetheart” The stallion slurred.

She’s touching his chest now Turner thought as he and Redheart unknowingly stopped to watch the muddled scene pan out before them. A soft rip could be heard as the stallion unceremoniously fiddled with the mare’s dress. He’s taking off her dress now Turner thought, before everything became less foggy for him and she shook his head. “Let’s go” He took Redheart’s hoof and they resumed their walk, leaving the other two to tend to their own night.

The route they took let them reach Turner’s house first, the lamp post dimly illuminating the surrounding area. After fiddling with the keys, Turner opened the door and turned around to his ‘date,’ “Thanks for the great night, Redheart. I had a lot of fun,” He said as he wearily stared at the equally tired mare.

“We both had a big part in making this a good night. I had fun, as well.” Redheart came closer to Turner, leaning in as if to tell him something, “And you know what?”

Turner leaned in as well, “Wha-”

His response was cut off by the sensation of another pony’s lips connecting with his. Redheart had closed the distance between the two and closed her eyes, opting to just feel Turner’s lightly chapped, but still soft, lips.

Turner eyes went wide with the sudden kiss, but soon lulled closed as he welcomed it with his own response of pushing back with the kiss.

After a minute, the kiss finished and Turner opened up his eager eyes to the strikingly gorgeous mare in front of him. “I’d be happy to go on another, soon.” Redheart winked at Turner.

Turner nodded slowly, his face flushed and warm with emotions. “It would be my pleasure.”

“I’ll see you at work, Turner. Have a good night” Redheart said, preparing to go home.

“Yeah, see you, Redheart.” He said before closing the door. Light in spirit, Turner wore a goofy smile on his face until the moment he went to sleep.

I think I’m starting to get a handle of things. I think I am moving on. I’m coming out of my cage of denial. I don’t need to beat myself up anymore about what happened with Ditzy. I guess I’ve come to terms with it. Of course it will still hurt, speculating about a life that could have been. There will always be that hole in my heart that can’t be filled. It’s up to me to not let that get me down. It’s my responsibility to work with that, knowing what I need to do next time. There are a million things I need to know with Redheart, but for now I am able to see a better outcome. It shouldn’t affect our professionalism, right? Tensions might rise as we move forward, but I don’t know what they are. I’m not sure she does either. Come to think of it, I’ve never been in an actual relationship before. I really don’t know what to do, how to act, or what to feel. I’m going into the dark with this possible relationship with Redheart. I have to be ready for everything, take every good outcome that I can so I can be more confident Turner was no longer restrained, rather just laying on a couch as he spoke to his other self, Coldheart probably monitoring from afar. I guess that’s it then. In this unknown dark and vague part of life, I will persist through with a smile on my face, ‘Cause I’ll be Mr. Brightside,

Comments ( 2 )

My first, but not last, reading of your stories. For being described as unedited, I couldn't find any issues, and while I am unfamiliar with its inspiration material, I was not confused. This was a nice, calm s.o.l., and I have to say, one of the smoothest integrations of song lyrics into a story I have seen. Orton attempts are heavy handed(hooved?), and interrupt the flow, but here it only added to the enjoyment. Thank you for sharing this with us. :rainbowdetermined2:

As a side note, having been an E.M.T. for years, I can attest to the stupidity of many smokers around oxygen. I remember coming across not one, but several tracheotomy (due to throat cancer) patients who would remove the oxygen from their stoma (the hole in the neck that they breathe through), take a drag, replace the oxygen, and repeat. No amount of lecturing ever seems to get through to some people, and some ponies too it seems.

9203416
Well, I think you just made my day. Thank you so much for the compliments. It's also good to see that someone else shares the sheer anxiety of smokers near oxygen

Login or register to comment