• Published 21st Oct 2018
  • 527 Views, 3 Comments

From Across The Boundaries - CalmingNature



When the long dormant Element of Magic reawakens, Ocellus reunites with her friends in hopes of stopping a new foe.

  • ...
 3
 527

And So It Begins

Today was nothing less than beautiful. Overhead majestic yellows mixed in with oranges decorated a sunset filled sky, almost like countless paintbrushes were committing ever increasing details into the same picture. Below once empty landscape was steadily being filled patches of grass. Now withered grass due to it being fall, but improvements nevertheless. From her path's view Ocellus felt warmth surround her beetle drum heart. She's wandered down this same road whenever royal duties threatened her sanity. Moments after passing a certain stone her mind wandered backwards, to when he still held everyone together. Despite him being relatively new in power Thorax did his best for them. Same could be said about his brother, though Pharynx was more over Thorax's balance. Yes, they were quite a duo.

In a single motion Ocellus stops in her tracks. Any further she would reach what's now called the Tree of Honor. Within it's massive stump lay two graves right beside each other. From behind she could hear leaves crackling under hoofsteps. No need for turning around, she knew full well who trotted out for her every trek. Sure enough they stop mere feet behind. There stood a lone changeling babe, his dark green mane and tail fitting with lighter green for a coat. "Mom, what're you doing?" Ocellus turns around. Both of his turquoise eyes glisten upon meeting with his mother.

"Checking up on family.", she says before walking aside her son. "Race you home!" With that she races him back. Past desert sands they finally make way through other packed changelings. More were gathering from all directions, both in flight and on hoof. Any day of the week each would bow in their queen's presence, today was unlike most days. For tonight she was just a student turned accidental leader of home.

Beyond older changelings their offspring gathered in single file behind a stage curtain. Ocellus's son was last, ironic since he's got lead role. Given an extra few minutes the students begin their play. Followed by starting announcements phoenixes danced about stage, powerful dragons spewed time's beginning flames, colossal thieves stole it before a lone character replaced it with a fake, and gave the real one back. They couldn't fully wield their shapeshifting powers, and every so often a kid would run offstage in normal form. Climax in sight, Ocellus is taken aback by warm lights. Audience members looked on in awe save for her majesty. Symbols only visible to her are seen intertwined within each white streak. Images of her old teacher splashed into view. Right when her colossal wings opened, the changeling queen came back to reality. Up front her son was just barely arriving on stage. With a single moment past his insectoid wings burst into flames, expanding until surrounding youth was cowering in fear. Thankfully it was all part of their play, otherwise Ocellus would be in tears. The nymph gently floats upwards. In his now hovering state orange flames turn red, much to everyone's surprise. His wings fold inward, then in an explosion he disappears from sight.

Both on stage and in the audience changelings were paralyzed by shock. Wide eyed a kid says,

"That...wasn't part of the original was it?" Ocellus's thoughts ran crazy attempting to make sense of where her kid might be. It's then she remembers a certain item, hidden away from open view. She gallops amidst countless murmurs. Past lights and onlookers from afar her path leads inside the throne room. She releases a song, causing a pair of doors to open. Wasn't any need for spare lighting, a little star gave enough light for safe traversion. In careful approach she trots in this same direction, finding her son sound asleep in front. Overhead the element was shining amidst it's little slot in the wall. Now hovering defensively over her son, Ocellus could only watch as her gem flashed down on them. Within it's light she notices an unfamiliar location veiled in smoke. Her son quivers under the scene.

Meanwhile...

Ocean waters swayed gentle as ever. Sunlight gave the ocean it's signature crystal reflective look, which granted blinded a few sailors. Far out at sea this frigate bounced about given each wave. Despite calmness everyone on board finds themselves at odds with physics. All save for one particular stallion who's looking over at his vessel's name. On his face confusion read clear as day, his sight directed at his ship's side. No matter how many times he looked at it, his opinion wouldn't change even slightly.

"What kind of name for a ship is 'The SS Whirlpool'? ", asked the double shades of green earthpony.

"Sandbar the last owners already fought over names. Let's not go down that path again.", said a dark yellow/gold pegasus. Sandbar could only look in shame at his maiden voyage's crudely accumulated name. It took five years worth of constant practice to get his current position. Ever since his father's boat he's become passionate about the seas, particularly sailing on them.

The pair was going about their business when somebody reported strange lights over the starboard side. At once both drop their knots. Sandbar blinks a little before realizing what's down below. Waves suddenly crash into wooden planks. Overtime they grow in size, latest hit nearly capsizing their vessel. Everyone on board was knocked off their stance. Amidst some unconscious fellows Sandbar throws himself overboard. The underwater lights cease. Now in clear view Sandbar's little gem shone pure green. Confusion returned in full bloom on his muzzle.


Sounds of crashing pots and pans disturb a blue colored griffon. From atop his makeshift cloud bed he peers over, curious what happened below. Despite only having moonlight as a light source, movement could still be made out amidst numerous obstacles. Claw outlines are seen moving cautiously towards an unguarded wagon. At once he dives into a nearby tree, followed by a shrub. From cover to cover he sneaks up on his prey. Up front his little target moves to inside the wagon. Given another hiding place beside white tarp, the griffon leaps up front. In a surprising turn of events nobody's in sight. Not another moment passes before a toddler griff jumps from above. Black feathers aiding in his camouflage efforts.

"Boo!", next sound following this word is a scream. With a talon on his chest the one time predator says,

"What's wrong with you!? You could've given me a heart attack!"

"Sorry, but I couldn't resist! Early this morning I heard that a griffon named Gallus gave the best reactions!", the chick said in between laughs. Now as for Gallus himself all he did was look on in embarrassment.

"Anyway you couldn't have just visited for a jumpscare. Parents kick you out?", the blue griffon asked following some rather awkward silence.

"...Yeah...How did you know?"

"I know your parents.", Gallus says with his left talon rubbing his neck. Memories came back of when he got struck by a chair. 'Where are you going? Come back here! Please!', said mother before picking up something and tossing straight into a certain protector's head.

"You don't mind if I stay here? Until they've quit." Gallus wasn't unfamiliar with this scenario. Before he would've just sent little Obsi to a friend's home, but since they're away on vacation big blue doesn't get much alternative. With slight hesitation Gallus nods. In a rather quick manner Obsi falls asleep where he lays. From afar he finds a small light hidden deep within the neighboring forest. Upon seeing this he leaps on in, proceeding to fall alongside his unofficially adopted kid. I've had enough adventure for one lifetime, he thought. Unbeknownst by either slumbering party a lavender crystal was hovering overhead.

Dreams eventually settle in about his old time friends. They were hovering above charred sand, each held onto his/her specific element. Gemstones dim, as those same characters settle back on solid ground. Moment following this scene loose earth trips all six wielders. Before them lay an indiscernible mount of glowing energy. That same rainbow collection shoots off into the sky, dispersing across wherever life found refuge. It's then each light dims, much to each student's dismay.

"What now?", said Ocellus. Her eyes wandering over now completely destroyed ruins. Nobody knew exactly where they had been taken, only it's sole inhabitant was of any concern.

"Yak say we keep elements.", stated Yona from her comedic position. From above she's pulled by two saviors.

"Good enough for me! If there's ever any threat nobody else can handle, then we'll be there!", with Sandbar's speech they all come together for a group hug. Unlike in the memory each gem once more brightens, taking Gallus alone deep beneath sea level. For whatever reason he wasn't drowning, though bubbles did escape his beak. Afar he notices what appeared to be a shark heading straight for his position. Despite swimming efforts he couldn't escape from the creature's jaws. Before any pain is felt, another larger pair of teeth devour the amphibian whole. Hesitation choked on Gallus's breath even after his upward look. Perhaps miles above him lay two crimson eyes. Both held such dimension, they could be mistaken for landmarks. When they fall on said griffon, his body loses all feeling. Mouth open he could've sworn he was holding back a scream. Minutes pass and his body starts dissolving into ashen material. Last thing he sees are those same red eyes.


If anybody was listening closely, they might've heard a crash from within a certain house. On the floor lay a pink colored hippogriff, her chest rising then falling in a worrisome pace. Eyes scatter about in their violet confusion. Outside she could hear wind as it's described by visitors, an ocean breeze. Having gathered enough strength the young creature wanders over to the nearest window. Beyond foggy glass she could make out waves, tide had come in a few hours back. With some hesitation the girl leaves, making sure her exit doesn't make any noise. Along her path attempts to recall what gave her such a rude awakening fall short. Wasn't her first dream lost, but she felt weird losing this particular one. It was about Seaquestria, but all she could remember is a picture of looking out at it's scenery.

Upon taking a seat, ocean waves soothe her frightened senses. Each breath succeeds in bringing much needed assistance for her shaky body. It's then a sort of trigger occurs in her mind. Once more her feathers rise as if something dangerous were just beyond visible means.

"...Seaquestria, is it still there?!", she nearly shouted out loud. Without another moment of hesitation she jumps in, not even bothering with transformation. Halfway down she notices how most every underwater creature was disturbed by her presence. Fishes of varying size fly away with bubbles trailing behind them. Eventually she finds where bioluminescent light streamed out from a tiny crack in mountainside rocks. Inside nothing appeared out of place, which makes her breath a sight relief. Now she remembers an important quality needed for aquatic exploration: gills. At once she transforms in pink colored aura. With her fears disproven she surfaces.

"Silverstream?", said a male voice from ashore. Despite noise pollution Silverstream could make out familiar characteristics on her current speaker. Whatever questions might've plagued her mind are cast aside. Peace at last washed over her both inside and out.

Now back on dry land both characters looked at each other. Perhaps in a way only they knew how, they carried on a conversation solely based on eye contact. Following this both head back in total silence. Until her brother said, "By the way I found this glowing in your dresser." He pulls out a pink gem out from his saddlebag. The pink hippogriff merely watched on, a blank stare adorning her face.


Smolder could make any sense of her element. Mere days ago it was dead, not even so much as a single glow. Now here it shines greater than it ever did in the past. What plagued her thoughts was why? Why now of all times? It's been over ten years since-

"Smolder!", she flinches upon hearing such a powerful voice from outside. Pebbles fall onto her, shaken off via a quake. In quick thought Smolder buries her blue gemstone amidst countless other multicolored rocks. Again her cave's interior rumbles from an outside voice. With a little gathered courage, she heads towards orange infested light. Armor rattling in each step. Right before going through she feels a stump where cartilage once formed a horn. Memories return of an earlier fight with another dragon. Flashbacks appear of when a diamond reinforced claw swipes at her head. Immediately afterwards she hears a faint thump in nearby sand.

She winces.

With another step her visitor comes into view. Mere steps in front stood this monster in all his battle worn glory. Eyes overflowing in confidence, evidently having a past history with his current opponent.

"What do you want Diamondback? Wasn't my first horde enough?", he smirks at her question. Yellow scales disappear into overhead smoke. There's good reason why Smolder chose life between two colossal rock walls. No dragon would ever risk getting caught in such a disadvantage. At least those who knew better. From high up numerous gemstones begin dropping onto scorched earth. In time an entire rainbow of different shapes decorated her front pathway. When the final color landed with a tink, a familiar drake follows shortly.

"Keep your horde, what I'm looking for is very specific. It's actually well known throughout all of Equestria, tons of creatures know it by name.", he begins walking in her direction, "In fact my search has lead me here of all places, where you live. Now if you'll excuse me." At once he whips Smolder away with his tail. The young dragon is left shaken by her sudden impact. In retaliation she rams his torso, successfully halting his charge.

For awhile they exchange blows. Overhead rocks would occasionally fall due to quakes. At some point Smolder gets the upper hand, bashing Diamondback's head into solid rock. From their airborne battlefield he falls at least a-hundred feet through hard stone. In a final drop his impact creates cracks in the natural floor. At last Smolder could breath easy, knowing full well this guy probably won't bother her again.

From within the confines of Smolder's home she hears this cry...for help?

"Yona?", she rushes back inside. Past darkness she finds no activity. She's about to write it off as cold wind, until a coin trips into her right foot. In neighboring coin piles more begin falling away, a good amount of gold lands on Smolder. From within this a yak emerges, wearing an amber colored gemstone around her neck. Upon making eye contact, both parties claim an uncertain silence for the longest time.

Finally the yak ends the uneasy quiet,

"Smolder! Yak find you here!", said yak takes only a single step before sliding down. The orange dragon attempts to flee, but gets caught in a golden landslide. Next thing she wonders is how the day went from battle for survival to spontaneous reunion with an old friend. In comedic fashion they pop up head first, causing numerous tinks as each coin fell. "Your gem's glowing as well?", she says revealing her amber colored gem. Smolder shields her eyes in response to the light. Right on cue a navy blue glow emits from a nearby corner. Perhaps on instinct alone leather wings spread over yak fir, just before orange cloaked the duo. Behind them diamond reinforced claws leave scratches in unfortunate currency. In spite of gaps in his mouth Diamondback somehow managed a devious smile.

By some miracle Yona dodged the invader's line of sight. Underneath loot she waits for his back to entirely be turned, all the while a tired Smolder kept her nemesis at bay. The dragon knew enough about hand-to-hand combat for efficient blocking, not enough for counterattacks. With each hit she finds herself weakened in the shoulders and legs. Given another strike metal shards fly off in all directions. In reaction Yona charges headfirst into bronze scales. He is pushed into an orange star generator. "Smolder's fist is in pain? She's holding it close to her chest.", Yona asks.

"Nothing more than a small bruise.", Smolder examines her fist. With a smirk on her muzzle, she asks why Yona came here.

"Because of gem, everybody's is glowing for some reason." 'Everybody', back near the entrance five separate knocks on rock echo in dragonic ears. Upon turning, about four different characters stood beside each other. On them lay gems of varying color for each.

"I guess these things never do steer us wrong.", said a familiar green pony.

Author's Note:

Am I glad Mark will never read this.
Please let me know if there are any continuation errors.

Comments ( 3 )

Interesting story. I actually want to see where this story goes.

Also, who's Mark?

9248460
Markiplier, you know because he's afraid of the ocean. I originally was going to delete this part, but ended up forgetting about it.

Login or register to comment