• Published 8th Nov 2018
  • 6,128 Views, 249 Comments

Returning Home II - Rise of the Eternal Empire - Arceaion



With the Swarm Defeated Twilight makes her way to the Harmony Empire but not everything is as it seems.

  • ...
16
 249
 6,128

Chapter 8 - Broken Souls Who Play a Part in this Wicked Work of Art

A stallion calmly walked over to the red barn of the apple family inside Applejack sat at small table next to a barrel of apple cider passed out, in her hand was an empty crystalline drinking glass while a bottle sat on the table in front of her. The Stallion sighed and slammed the barn door shut causing Applejack to jump awake and knock the bottle off the table. As Applejack reached for the bottle only just missing it the stallion calmly bent down and caught it just as it was about to hit the floor. The Stallion looked at the bottle for a moment before setting it back on the table. Applejack rubbed her forehead before reaching for the bottle however as she tried to pull it away she found the stallion hadn't let go of the bottle yet. "I've been cleaning up after you a lot lately." He said calmly as he let go.

Applejack took the bottle and filled the glass she had in her hand not once looking at the stallion before her. "Leave it alone Mustang." She said coldly.

"Still having the same dream?" Mustang asked as he walked over to another table that was set up and pulled a chair from it over to Applejacks table and sat down on it with the back facing his stomach.

"I said leave it alone." Applejack growled.

"What happened in Appaloosa wasn’t your fault." Mustang said calmly.

"Which part?" Applejack asked as she looked at her second in command. "Where Brayburn got left behind or where ma' orders killed two hundred ponies?" She asked coldly.

Mustang didn't even flinch or frown as he looked at Applejack. "Same old bullshit; you ain't gonna listen." He said as he reached into his pocket and pulled out something that he slid over to her before standing and walking away. As he reached the doors and opened them he turned to his commander and looked at her in sadness. "Do you even see what you're becoming?" He asked as he turned and looked at her.

"We are who we choose to be Mustang." Applejack replied as she took the bottle and poured herself another drink.

Mustang looked down for a moment before looking back at her with anger. "well when you figure it out let us know!" He yelled at her in anger causing her to raise her head and look at him. "We're all waiting on you." he said as he turned and exited the barn slamming the door shut.

Applejack sat in silence for a moment looking at where her second in command had stood before looking down at the object he had set in front of her carefully Applejack picked the object up and turned it over to see it was an orange crystal cut into apple shape, the Element of Honesty. Applejack stared at the Element in her hand for a moment trying to get her drunk brain to actually work and when it finally did she was unable to do anything except simply stare at the artifact. After what felt like years she looked down at the drink in front of her before for the first time in what felt like months she felt a bit of determination fill her as her sense of purpose returned. With a sigh and a groan the mare got to her hooves and looked at the Element of Honesty in her hand one more time before moving to exiting the barn. As Applejack left the barn the Element in her hand began to glow causing her to stop and watch in shock as it slowly changed shape into a five pointed star wrapped in a circle, the words veritas, probitas, iustitia written on the circle.


Deep in the desert of the badlands lay a ancient tomb sealed long before the Discordian Era, a tomb forgotten to all but the most ancient of beings. Here at the entrance of the tomb stood a solar guard named Golden Flame who had been given a special mission by his princess.

He had searched long and hard, uncovered clues and secrets left buried and meant to be forgotten. He bore no knowledge of the Changeling War, Celestias rise to tyranny or even of her attack on her former apprentice; for he had been set out with a single mission long before such had transpired and at last he had found what his princess had asked him to seek.

Golden Flame smiled as he lit his horn and shot a beam of pure light into the crystal above the tomb sealed doors, as he did this the ground began to rumble and slowly the sealed tomb doors opened releasing a wave of stale air from within. Golden Flame grit his teeth and closed his eyes in concentration as he kept the beam up till the doors finally opened fully with a rumble. Golden Flame fell to his knees panting as he worked to catch his breath. After he finally did he looked at the opened doors with a determined look as he stepped for ward and entered the tomb. As he walked through the halls of the tomb he quickly realized that tomb was rather strange.

The walls were not elaborately decorated like most tombs were, there were no artifacts of worth or items inside- in fact the entire tomb was empty. The deeper Golden Flame walked the more he became on edge and his hand drifted to the hilt of the sword at his side. After several hours of navigating the maze like corrodes of the tomb with knowledge he had gained over his travels he at last reached the central chambers where if one were to be buried their body would be kept. As he entered this chamber to magical braziers around the walls ignited revealing the room entirely. The room was a massive circular chamber with six pillars at the center made of glowing red crystals. Inside the circle of pillars was a raised dais where a pink crystal that shone with a kind light floated.

As Golden Flame stepped deeper into the chamber he realized that the crystal was the only thing inside the room and slowly approached it. "Is someone there?" A voice called out causing Golden Flame to pause in confusion. "Please if some one's there say something!"

Golden Flame looked around the room for whoever was talking but found no one. "Where are you?" He asked as he drew his blade and got in a combat stance.

"That voice... Golden? Is that you Golden Flame?" The voice asked in a hopeful tone.

"How do you know me?" Golden Flame asked as his eyes narrowed.

"I'm so glad you finally made it here! Please Golden come up to the dais and look into the crystal!" The voice pleaded.

Golden eyed the crystal wearily however he slowly approached the dais and as he neared he looked closely into it only to see a mare inside. The made had pure white fur with a pink main and tail, on her shoulder was her cutie mark of a stylized sun however over it was a branded of chains. As Golden Flame examined the mare his eyes began to widen as he looked closer at the Mare. "Imposable..." He gasped out as he took a step back.

"It's been a while Golden, I'm so glad you made it to my prison." She said as he ran up the steps and looked at the crystals occupant. "Oh, my most loyal guardian; I'm so sorry that I was forced to send you on such a dangerous mission but I knew that time was running out." She said sadly as she looked at the stallion before her.

"How can you be here, when you sent me here?" He asked.

The mare looked away sadly. "What you saw was a shell, broken and empty. This Crystal is my true form and has been for thousands of years." She said sadly. "When I was but a young mare I was attacked by a Demon, the Demon took my soul and severed it from my body; my consciousness, thoughts, personality and soul was crystalized into this prison while my body beamed a puppet to the Demon. Since then I have only been a passenger in my own body, forced to watch as all I loved and swore to protect was corrupted and twisted."

Golden Flame shook his head in bewilderment as the mare explained to him how she came to be here. "But why did your pupated body send me here?" He asked.

"It didn't, while this is my prison I can still influence my body in subtle ways. Ever since my sister became Nightmare Moon I have worked to influence what I can. Twilight’s apprenticeship and so much more has all been my work. And for a time I had regained control of my body but my connection to my body was fading and I knew that soon the Demons would make their move to insure my influence was removed. And so I called you Golden Flame, my most loyal guardian, you have always done what I asked without regard for your own safety and so I sent you on this perilous quest to free me." As the mare finished speaking Golden Flame bowed his head.

"But how do I do that?" He asked.

The Mare smiled. "Shatter my prison, drive your sword into the crystal and break it freeing me form this life of imprisonment."

Golden flame hesitated before his eyes narrowed into determined slits and he drew his sword back before with a yell he thrust it forward and into the crystal driving it till the hilt was the only thing not inside. From the point where his sword had struck the crystal cracks splintered to life and he narrowed his eyes as with a grunt he twisted the blade causing more. Light shot out from inside the cracks and with a resounding crack the entire crystal shattered releasing the light inside which began to glow brighter forcing Golden to look away and cover his eyes till it slowly died down.

As the Light died down the mare stood before him, a motherly smile on her face as he knelt before the mare, a smile growing on his face as he felt her aura. Her very presence felt like that of a warm summer day and as she looked upon him he felt her care and love which seemed to be unending. "Rise Golden Flame, you do to need to me." She said kindly.

"Of course, Princess Celestia." Golden Flame said as he rose and looked upon his princess with joy and pride as he noticed that her cutie mark was no longer bound in chains.

Author's Note:

And so I reveal the biggest truth in this story as well as give back Applejacks drive. All the pieces are falling into place and I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone s reacts as well as all the theories that this spawns.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed the chapter and I will see you in the next one