• Published 8th Nov 2018
  • 6,132 Views, 249 Comments

Returning Home II - Rise of the Eternal Empire - Arceaion



With the Swarm Defeated Twilight makes her way to the Harmony Empire but not everything is as it seems.

  • ...
16
 249
 6,132

Chapter 3 - Routing a Serpent

Muffled screams echoed through the hall followed by a loud thump. Luna frowned and walked over the corps of another solar guard, before her walked two Thestral Night Guards their swords dripping the blood of their traitorous brothers as they advanced slowly. After continuing down the hall they came upon a set of doors emblazoned with a stylized sun and stopped, Luna stepped forward her hand crackling with lightning that she flung at the door blasting it open, as the doors flew off their hinges and she entered her sisters bed chambers her other hand glowed and she sent a pulse of magic through the room before frowning. "Search this room; report anything that's out of the ordinary." She said as several more Night Guards appeared behind her and knelt.

"Princess, a report has just come from a small town off the coast." Noe of them said hesitantly. "The report stated you sister attacked with a division of Solar Guard." Luna grit her teeth in anger before closing her eyes and taking several breaths.

"What were the casualties?" She asked her voice extremely calm causing the Night Guard to start shaking.

"None Princess, Twilight Sparkle and a group of unknown individuals of multiple races protected the town the only deaths were from the Solar Guard and most of them were by your..." The Guard gulped before continuing. "They were by your sister’s hand." He finished.

Luna's hand began to spark as her eyes glowed white and for a moment the guard thought he would die however at the last second the enraged lunar princess turned and blasted the bed at the far end of the room causing it to explode, after a moment she collapsed to her knees as tears began to fall from her eyes. "Sister, what have you done?" She asked.

"Princess, I think you just reviled what we were looking for." One of the guards said causing her to look up to see that where the bed had been was now a set of stairs leading down. Luna wiped her eyes and rose before looking at the guards. "We will be going together, I do not trust that that this is a trap and I fear what lies ahead." She said sadly. The Guards nodded and as Luna began to descend they followed their swords drawn and their senses on high alert.

Slowly the group descended taking each stair slowly and checking for any traps or spells, as they neared the bottom Luna's hand flashed and a sword appeared in it. Slowly they exited the stairwell and entered a large round chamber, the inside of the chamber was lit with several luminescent sunstones that it in a dull red glow. There was a desk and set of shelves containing parchments, ancient scrolls and tomes however at the center was an alter that showed a large human like being with massive wings and a heavy cloak, from the beings head were two horn. Luna looked at the statue cautiously before walking over to the shelves and began to run her hand over the titles till she came upon a black covered book with no name, picking it up and skimming through it she began to frown as she read farther in till she placed it down and took a deep breath. "Sister what have you done." She asked as she looked at the statue, her hand sparking with charged mana before she placed the book back on the shelf.

"Princess, what's going on?" One of the Guards asked in concern.

"Tell me guard, when to many of something happens all too fast what would you call it?" Luna asked.

The Guard looked confused before thinking. "Coincidence or maybe bad luck." He said.

Luna nodded. "When something seems to likely then it probably is however, a thousand years ago the monsters sent after us seemed never ending and most often were friend or allies that had once sided with us." Luna said as she approached the statue. "Tirek, Discord, even Chrysalis, we all once were allies who swore an oath to protect our people and this world. Over time however our allies fell one by one, till only I and my sister remained. The first to fall was Tirek who seemingly went mad; he foretold an evil locked away before we were born returning with our aid. His brother was reasoned with and left peacefully however Tirek desperately tried to kill us, it got to the point we were forced to banish him to Tartarus."

"I thought Tirek was simply power hungry." One of the guards said causing Luna to shake her head.

"Eventually he went mad, what you saw and what Princess Twilight faced was simply the shell of a once great stallion." She replied. "Can you guess who was next to fall?"

"I'd think it would be Chrysalis." the third guard said however again Luna shook her head.

"Discord fell next, my sister received a strange crystal seed from somewhere and when planted grew what she named the Tree of Harmony however shortly after this was done Discord began to act strange. Eventually he went mad as well and threw Equestria into chaos till I and my sister took the Elements and used them, Celestia was rather hesitant to even touch them though I silenced her complaints by stating this was for the protection of our ponies."

The Guards nodded as they thought however one of them looked at Luna confused. "What about Chrysalis?" He asked. "How could you have worked with that monster?"

Luna bowed her head sadly. "She wasn't always like that. Like with Tirek what you saw was merely a shell of who she was, broken and mad for power. She was the easiest to deal with because she used armies and I lead our forces to victory against her however when we returned expecting a hero’s welcome we only received hate. We were branded as murders and monsters for our actions and Celestia did nothing, a short time later something consumed me and I fell into my darkness and the Nightmare consumed me."

"What does this have to do with any if this princess?" A Guard asked as he scratched his head confused.

Luna looked at the statue with anger. "Each of the one who fell, even me, all had the same goal in mind. We all fell to the same desire, power." She said anger clear in her voice. "We all fell do darkness and I now know how." Luna's voice was filled with hate. "Each of us was poisoned, our minds twisted by a single substance; Demon Fruit."

The guards looked at each other confused. "What's Demon Fruit?" the first guard asked.

"A substance that is corruption incarnate" Luna spat. "Long before I and my sister were born there existed a race known as the Demon, they were vile being and their threat was so great that it resulted in every race on the planet uniting together under the banner of a single empire. The war lasted for years and destroyed much of our world however eventually they were defeated and sealed away."

"So what makes you think they're behind this?" The guard asked.

"The demons didn't want to destroy the world instead they sought to erase all of Chaos from existence." Luna replied.

The second guard nodded. "Ok I thing I'm starting to understand. That shadow figure I saw with Celestia said something along those lines and Celestia said she was the reason both you and Discord went mad."

Luna nodded. "The journal I just read was Celestia's plans to do as such action and she claimed to use Devil Fruit." She turned to her guards revealing the tears falling from her eyes. "However the reason I know is because she speaks of the one who commanded her to do such things, Ragnarok the spirit of Order." The Guards looked at each other concerned. "Ragnarok was the ruler of the demons and his ambition nearly wiped out life entirely." Luna growled before looking at the guards. "Equestria is lost, there is no hope to save it but we might still save some of the citizens."

Luna turned and quickly walked away from the statue and up the stairs the guards quickly following. "If Equestria is lost then what do we do?" One of the Guards asked.

"Contact the Thestrals enclaves and Hollow shades; Harmony Empire is our only hope now." Luna said as she reentered Celestias bed chambers. "If we can contact Twilight and inform her of what's to come she can aid us but we need to hurry." She said as she quickly walked out of the room only to bump into Celestia who was looking at her with a cold look.

"Hello sister, mind telling me why you’re in my room?" She asked in a cold voice.

Luna glared at Celestia as she slowly backed away. "What have you done Celestia?" She asked her voice filled with anger. "Do you even realize who you serve?"

Celestia chuckled. "Of course I do, I serve the ruler of Order, and he will bring about true harmony to this world."

Luna frowned. "Sister, you serve a demon, they don't bring harmony they bring ruin and stagnation!"

"NO!" Celestia yelled. "They bring true harmony and when I free them from the prison they are in they will bring all ponies into an era of true peace." She said with a smile. "Imagine it Luna, no war, no conflict, and everypony will follow their true destiny work like that of a machine."

"A world void of free will or thought!" Luna countered as she glared at Celestia. "A world void of choice innovation and change, that is what you will bring! Those who cannot evolve or adapt die Tia, why would you choose this?"

"Why my dear sister, I chose it because it is harmony." Celestia said with a smile. "The world is filled with chaos and unknowns but under the Demons rule we would be masters of all. Imagine it sister, a perfect world free of all things, of want, need or desire imagine the golden age we would live in."

Luna looked at her sister in disgust as the Night Guards around her drew their swords. "And what of our people sister?"

Celestia smile grew. "The price for such a future, for true harmony and freedom, would be servitude to the Demons. They would be our eternal masters and as such things such as free will would be stripped from them but such is the price for true harmony."

Lunas eyes widened. "And what of us!?" She yelled causing Celestia to giggle.

"We will be treated as we always have been, as princesses only instead of princesses we would be pets." Celestia replied happily.

Luna backed away slowly a look of horror no her face. "Sister, why would you ever thing I or anypony would agree to such a thing?" She asked her voice barely a whisper.

Celestia tilted her head confused. "You can't disagree, we would be pets Luna and if a pet refuses their master then they are punished. Besides why would you want to resist?" Celestia asked.

Luna looked behind her and aw the doors to the balcony were open and slowly she began to back toward them. "Listen to your self sister; this is not harmony but slavery!" She said pleading with Celestia.

"Oh you’re just confused." Celestia giggled. "Don't worry; when Twilight did that seal break on me I was confused too. I thought I was wrong but Ragnarok helped me, he made me see clearly again." She said with a smile.

Luna looked at Celestia carefully as she continued to back away her guards having realized what she was doing followed her every move closely. "What did Ragnarok do to you sister?"

Celestia stopped smiling for a moment and her eyes flashed with fear before the happy mask reappeared. "He fixed me, restored my mind from the chaotic state that my fallen pupal put it in." Celestia replied. "And it was so simple too; all he did was taking a glowing thing out of me."

Luna froze and looked at Celestia in concern. "A glowing thing?"

Celestia nodded. "A crystal, he called it a Pura Anima crystal if I remember." She said happily. "After that it all became clear, no one understands but the demons will show everyone."

Luna looked behind her and saw she was directly in front of the balcony; Luna grimaced and turned back to Celestia. "Sorry sister, but you sold your soul for a lie; I pray that you see this one day."

"Luna pleases, you must understand, a world free of suffering!" Celestia exclaimed. "In such a world death, you becoming Nightmare Moon, all of it would never happen!"

Luna frowned. "The world we live in is not meant to be perfect sister." She said causing Celestia to freeze; Luna lowered her head in shame. "We are meant to fall, meant to be beaten and broken, but we're also meant to rise up and face what made us fall." Luna looked up at Celestia as tears fell from her eyes and she smiled sadly. "But you would rather shift the blame and wallow in your failures; you broke and refuse to be put back together. You were harmed and in return you plan to never be harmed again, your nothing but a selfish child who cries when the don't get their way."

Celestia grit her teeth and her hand balled into fists. "You know nothing Luna!" She screamed in rage as she threw a ball of fire at the lunar princess. Luna trued to dodge but was hit in the chest throwing her on to the balcony and against the rail.

Luna chuckled and looked up. "I know better than you Celestia, after all I once fell to my own darkness." She said with a laugh as she couched up blood.

Celestia grit her teeth. "I should have killed you when I had the chance. You are just like Twilight, an abomination that simply need purging from this world!" She screamed.

"Do you really think that the ponies will want to go to war again and against the one whom saved them from the Changelings?" Luna asked as she slowly with the help of her guards.

"I care not for the ponies, they will either obey me or I will destroy like I destroyed that worthless town that protected Twilight!" Celestia yelled in rage however Luna simply smiled confusing the solar sister.

"Ponies aren't objects or slaves to be commanded and if you use them as such then I will oppose you." Luna said in a calm voice.

Celestia smirked. "You and what army?" She asked. "Those pathetic Thestral Night Guards of yours?"

Luna grinned. "No, all the ponies that just heard what you said." She said causing Celestia's eyes to widen as she looked over the balcony to see thousands of ponies standing in shock. "Checkmate sister" Luna said with a sad smile as shed spread her wings and dove over the raining and flew to the ground. As soon as she landed Night Guards quickly began to move out of the palace and join their princess.

Luna sighed sadly and turned to the crowd. "Go and warn the nation of what's to come!" She yelled so that everypony could hear. "Warn them of what's to come, flee for the Crystal Empire. I will join you when I can." She said before taking off again and flying away as fast as she could, behind her thousands of Night Guards and Thestral flew fleeing the capital and following their princess.


Celestia growled as she watched Luna fly away. "Damn you Luna, We could have been a family again but you just had to choose the path of destruction." She said as she turned and walked back into her room. "Ragnarok will not be happy about this." She said quietly only to hear the sound of tapping behind her causing her to turn and pale.

"And what is it I won't be happy about?" The shadowy figure asked causing Celestia to gulp.

"How long were you there?" She asked fearfully.

Ragnarok walked forward and glared at Celestia. "Long enough to know you failed not only in stopping Twilight but also in delivering me Luna." He growled. "I'm disappointed in you Celestia, the allegiance of Equestria was a key point in the plan and because of your sister this kingdom will be thrown into civil war. Now tell me, does a civil war promote Harmony?" He asked coldly.

Celestia trembled but didn't move away from the Demon Lord. "No, it doesn't." She said in fear.

The Demon growled. "Normally I would punish you for your incompetence but I will overlook it this time, your sister played you almost too perfectly and proven she is far more competent that either of us believed." He said with a tired sigh. "How has your search for the Seal gone?"

Celestia relaxed slightly as he spoke however when he mentioned the seal she stiffened again. "Well... there’s a slight problem." She said slowly. "The map to the Seal for your prison is ancient, originally I didn't think this would be a problem but because of how much time has passed the map is useless and even overlying it onto a present day map has shown that the continents shifted too much to determine where it's hidden." Celestia said.

"So not only is the map useless but do to the changing of the planet and continents there it's practically useless!?" Ragnarok roared causing the princess to shrink away.

"Y-yes, from what the map shows the continents were once not only larger but there was less of them." Celestia explained quickly. "From what I could tell it looked as if the continents were shattered on purpose but that's something thought impossible!"

The Demon growled. "Oh, it was possible one upon a time and I have no doubt that it was done to prevent anyone from finding the seal." Ragnarok said angrily. "For all we know it will be at the bottom of the sea."

Celestia looked down in shame. "What do you want me to do?" She asked.

Ragnarok sighed. "For now gather power, build an army even of you must enslave creatures to do it. Remember Celestia all we do is for the path of true harmony." He said with a smile.

Celestia nodded. "Right, true harmony." Celestia said as she left to begin preparations.

Author's Note:

I'm not satisfied with this chapter, too much talking and while it is relevant it's poorly done. Anyway, I hope you like it because god knows I don't and I'll see you in the next chapter... maybe.