• Published 8th Nov 2018
  • 6,118 Views, 249 Comments

Returning Home II - Rise of the Eternal Empire - Arceaion



With the Swarm Defeated Twilight makes her way to the Harmony Empire but not everything is as it seems.

  • ...
16
 249
 6,118

Chapter 2 - Morality

Twilight stood upon the dock of the old fishing village, she sighed as she watched the sun slowly rise and the dawn come. The sounds of padded paws approaching caused her to turn and see Captain Moon approaching. Twilight turned back to watching the sea as the Captain sat down next to her. "The ship is prepared for departure." Captain Moon said. "We may leave when ever you choose."

Twilight nodded. "Thank you Captain." She said tiredly. "We'll leave once the sun has fully risen." She said.

"Are you well, my lady?" Moon asked concerned.

Twilight didn't say anything for a moment before responding. "No, no I'm not." Twilight said before turning to the Captain. "The power of an Alicorn is the vary culmination of our being, it is our potential, to do both right and wrong. Tell me Captain, if you could lock away that potential that risk, would you be the hero or the villain?"

Moon sat silent for a moment and Twilight turned back out to watch the sea. "Are you scared your not a good person?" Moon finally asked, Twilight didn't reply. Mon sighed and watched the sun rise. "I'm a guard, even more so I'm the Captain of the Imperial Guard. I've done a lot of bad things that were for what one would call the greater good but no matter the justification they were still wrong."

Moon turned to Twilight and smiled. "For what it's worth, I honestly don't think the concept of 'Good' and 'Evil' are so simple that's why there is the the middle ground, the gray, and an assigned purpose can't change that." Moon placed a hand on Twilights shoulder. "you can get lost in the glory of your own 'heroics' or find that your good intentions had their faults." Moon sighed and looked twilight in the face. "I'm sure there are plenty of stories of people like that, I've seen them and I think Celestia's story is in there too. Some of those stories actually do have a happy ending but most..." Moon trailed off sadly. "I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's the results of ones actions that counts, whether we do it out of anger and hate or out of love and kindness, it's what comes out of our actions that is important. One doesn't need to be a 'hero', all one must do is choose to do good." Moon said.

Twilight was silent for a moment before nodding. "Thank you Captain." Twilight said as she rose. "I feel it's time to get underway." Moon nodded and followed Twilight down the dock to the small village they had been staying at. As they entered many of the ponies they passed bowed to her while others smiled and waved, twilight returned the waves and smiled happily. After passing through the town they reached the main port of the town and Twilight looked in awe at the ship that they had prepared.

The ship was long and sleek, made from red wood the color and painted with black highlights. Many of Twilights entourage was on board the ship already preparing for departure while on the dock stood Discord and Rainbow who were speaking to some of the crew. When Rainbow saw Twilight she excused herself and walked toward her. "This ship is awesome Twilight!" Rainbow exclaimed as she approached.

Twilight chuckled. "It is impressive." She said.

Rainbow nodded. "I gotta ask though, the Harmony Empire is suppose to be some super secret place so how do these ponies know about it?" Rain bow asked curious.

"The capital of the Harmony Empire itself is hidden however the kingdom itself isn't, I mean the Empire spans a massive area. The Empire spans an entire island chain so it's not exactly hidden only hard to find beside that we have allies in all the kingdoms of the world and many of the world leaders and kingdom rulers know of our existence." Moon said calmly.

Rainbow looked confuses. "Ya know I got ask, why it that you know all this stuff and have allies in other lands?" She asked.

"The duty of the Harmony Empire is to learn everything it can and record it." Twilight said calmly. "To do this the Empire sends out Seekers who's task is to discover, catalog and record all events and history that we don't have." Twilight said as he turned back to the ship an walked over to the captain. "Thank you for taking us to the Empire." Twilight said as she bowed.

The Captain chuckled and bowed as well. "It will be an honor to take you, your Majesty." He said. "The boat is prepared and ready for your voyage to the Empire, we shall depart by your command."

Twilight nodded. "Start final preparations and get ready to depart." Twilight said calmly as she prepared to board the ship only for the sound of running hooves on the dock to catch her attention.

"Empress Twilight, the Solar Guard is approaching!" A villager said as he panted.

Twilight turned in surprise "What do you mean?" She asked concern laced through her voice.

"Solar guards in full armor with weapons are coming this way and it more than a few." He said after a moment.

"How many?" Ebony Moon asked his concern rising quickly.

"At least a hundred." The Villager said.

The Captain turned to Twilight a look of concern on his face. "This isn't a coincidence." He said.

Twilight nodded. "The Solar Guard is under the direct command of Celestia, there her most loyal guards and are trained better than the Royal Guard."

"This isn't a battle force, it's an invasion." Captain Celesteal said as she turned to Twilight concerned. "Would the Princesses actually declare war on the Empire?" She asked concerned.

Twilight shook her head. "Luna wouldn't however Celestia is another matter entirely. The Solar Guard only listen to Celestia which means she is behind this." She said as turned to the villager. "How long do we have?" She ask.

"They'll be on us in minutes." The Villager said.

Twilight nodded. "Mythic Force, Dusk Captain Moon and Dawn Captain Celesteal, Gather your troops and evacuate. Imperial Captain Moon, prepare the Imperial Guard for battle and prepare an evac plan." She said calmly as the Berserker Armor ripped from under her flesh and she walked back down the gangplank."

"What would you have us do Twilight?" Flutershy asked.

"You four go with with the Evacuation group." Twilight said calmly.

Rainbow grit her teeth and clenched her fists. "I'm staying." Rainbow said as she looked at twilight a fire burning in her eyes.

Twilight hesitated but forced a smile. "This won't be like the Changeling war Rainbow, you're not fighting changelings your're fighting fellow ponies. Stay if you wish but this I can't promise your be safe."

Rainbow nodded. "I know Twilight, but I failed in my duty once, I swore that I would never fail again."

Twilight nodded and explosions sounded as the walls of the town were breached. Twilight turned to look at her troops a grim look on he face. "Eight again an army." She whispered with a sigh before addressing her troops. "Right, we need to hold off the enemy till the others have gotten away, once they are are away we'll pull out. Protect the civilians and don't die, Commander Moon your up."

Victory stepped forward and smiled. "Well, it looks like you lumps are getting a chance to prove yourself before we even get to the Empire. Makes Empress Twilight Proud and don't do anything stupid. We're breaking up into five groups to maximize effectiveness so listen to your assignments, once you have it you may depart. Is that understood?" She asked.

"Yes Ma'am!" The group yelled as they snapped to attention.

Victory nodded with a smile."Aqua Starfish you're on tactical support, give us targets and objectives. Ebony Aura, monitor all their magic and assist when you can. Astral Mask and Dark Shadow I want you behind enemy lines, eliminate critical targets and supplies. Star Breeze, Sharp Eyes, take defensive position and assist any teams that are in need of help. I will be going with The Element of Loyalty and Empress Twilight."
Victory Moon turned but stopped and turned back to her troops. "One more thing," She said causing to team to pause. "For most of you this is your first actual fight, this isn't some training simulation or war game. these guys will kill you if given the chance, don't give them that chance. I don't want to contact you families saying you're dead." As she finished she placed her helmet on her head turned away. "Well what are you standing around for? Get going!" She yelled and the Guards scrambled to complete their objectives.


Celestia stood at the back of the Solar Guard on a hill watching the battle. Her golden armor shined in the morning light as she gripped her halberd and she grit her teeth in anger. From what her guard had reported there were only six however they were holding their own easily and killing without hesitation. "Despicable abominations." She muttered her eyes filled with hate.

"Princess," A guard said as he approached her and bowed.

"Yes my guard?" She asked with a smile.

"We have located Twilight, she is at the front leading the charge." He said . "Commander Dash is with her as well as some sort of multi-tailed fox creature."

Celestia's eyes hardened and she smiled. "Good." She said as he turned back to the battle and began to walk down the hill she was on. "A traitor, and my fallen apprentice both in the same place." She smiled and spread her wings taking off and looking around before spotting Twilight. She narrowed her eyes and dove.


Twilight slashed her sword launching a wave of fire at the guards before her turning her to ash, her face was a grim line as she turned to the next opponent and blocked his attack before spinning and kicking him in the face. The kick disorientated the guard and Twilight swung her blade taking the guards head. Suddenly the ground exploded in front of her kicking up a dust cloud. Twilight raised her blade griping it with both hands. The fighting stooped and everyone froze as they watched the dust cloud, a breeze slowly blew and dispersed the clouded to reveal Celestia standing before them.
Celestia raised her head and glared at Twilight. "Hello my student, been a while since we've seen each other." She said.

Twilight frowned. "Why do this Celestia?" She asked angrily.

"You are a threat." Celestia said as she walked forward. "An unchained dog with no master, no restrictions." She said calmly.

"That makes no sense Celestia. Luna would never agree to this, no pony would agree to this!" She yelled.

"NO, they can't see, none of them can see, but I'll show them. I'll show them all." Celestia said desperately. "You have no idea what I've done to achieve our goals, what I've given up for Harmony."

"You don't follow the path of Harmony Celestia." Twilight said as she raised her sword in a defensive stance. "I don't know what's going on here but you have to stop, whatever it is." Twilight pleaded.

"You can not rule the Harmony Empire, if you do then all I've done will be for nothing!" Celestia yelled angrily before taking a breath and continuing. "You have been deemed a obstacle in the plan and as such I shall remove you. I didn't want it to have to come to this but you left me no choice, you just had to learn the truth ab out your destiny. Just a little longer and this would never had have happened, you would still be my precious student and it wouldn't have ended with your death."

Celestia charged at Twilight only for a blast of light blue magic to slam into her knocking her backwards. "You want the Empress then you'll have to get through me." Victory Moon growled as she stepped between Celestia and Twilight.

Celestia growled as she rose and glared at Victory. "Who are you?" She asked angrily

Victory smiled and raised her katana at Celestia. "Captain Victory Moon of the Imperial Guard and Personal Guard of Empress Twilight Sparkle." Shed said calmly.

Celestia growled and charged the Captain swinging her halberd in a wide sweep expecting to bat the guard away however the Kitsune simply smiled and met the strike and held her ground. Celestia roared launched a glowing white fire ball however Victory charged forward as her armor transformed and she met the fire ball head on and as it exploded a warrior in glowing bronze armor smashed through the flames and slammed into Celestia sending her back and crashing into a wall. Everyone gasped in shock as the armored form of Victory moon was revealed. The Armor was bronze colored and covered in runes that glowed blue, the armor not only covered the Kitsune body but also her tails and conformed to her body almost like it was more than armor but rather a second skin. The armor now had beautiful silver wings sprouting from her back and the helmet had a long Unicorn horn portending from the forehead as well.

Celestia screamed and leaped from the ruble trusting her halberd forward only for the Kitsune to grab the blade and snap it in half like it was a twig. "I am Imperial Guard Celestia." Victory said her voice was made echoey and distorted by her helmet. "It will take more than that to harm one of us." She said calmly as she punched Celestia sending her flying backwards. Celestia opened her wings and flew up only for one of her wings to be ripped apart causing her to fall back down.

The sound of flapping wings drew her attention to a Griffon in armor similar to Victorys' and as he landed four others appeared. "Surrender Celestia." One who looked like an Alicorn said as he approached her a pair of knives in his hands.

Celestia growled and looked around at her troops before smiling and glaring at Twilight. "Burn in Tartarus." She said Twilights eyes widened and she ran forward as her horn charged and released a massive fire ball. The Solar Guards screamed as they were disintegrated and the Celestia took to the air on her healed wing and shot away.

Twilight rose and looked around to see the Imperial Guards groaning but relatively alright, however someone was missing. "Rainbow?" she asked concerned. "Rainbow!?" This time she yelled in panic as she looked around.

"Now that was a blast!" Rainbow said as she flew down and landed next to Twilight and looked around. "She killed her won guards, that just... so uncool." She said as she looked at a melted set of guard armor.

Twilight nodded and looked at her guards. "Let's get back with the others." She said sadly as she walked toward the docks. Rainbow opened her mouth to say something but slowly closed it and followed Twilight. As the group walked to the docks they saw the villagers standing by the docks a look of concern on their face. Twilight approached them and bowed. "I apologize for the damage done from the battle, I'd pay compensation but I fear I have nothing to offer."

One of the villagers stepped forward and bowed to Twilight. "Homes can be rebuilt however thanks to your actions many of us are still alive and our families are safe, thank you Empress." He said with a bow.

Twilight hesitated before she rose and smiled. "Your welcome however I still feel I owe you for what has happened."

The villager waved a hand and smiled. "Like I said homes can me rebuilt, you saved us that's all that matters."

Twilight sighed and nodded. before looking to the ship. "It's time I left, Thank you for the hospitality you have shown us and for being so understanding." She said with a bow, the crowed bowed as well and dispersed into the town returning to the homes they abandoned to rebuild. Twilight frowned and walked to the boat boarding it with the guards and Rainbow not far behind.

Quickly she walked to the captain and pulled him aside. "Problem your majesty?" He asked.

Twilight shook her head. "No I simply wish to know how long the voyage will take."

The Captain ran a hand through his beard in thought. "If the wind's are on our side it'll be week at best." He said in thought. "We'll be making land fall in a port off the coast of Dragonia. From there it's a bit of a strait shot to the borders of the Harmony Empire but it is far safer than me taking ya there, less likely to be followed and all."

Twilight nodded. "So that's why The empire's remained hidden." She said with a smile. "It's hidden in the Mystic Sea."

The Captain looked at her with surprise but it slowly turned to a smile. "Do ya believe in Sea Serpents your majesty?" He asked.

Twilight chucked. "Yes Captain, I do." She said.

The Captain laughed and turned to the crew. "Make ready to sail boys, it's time we got underway!" He yelled. At his command every sailor dropped what they were doing and ran to get the boat ready, sails were lowered, ropes and knots checked and the captain walked to the wheel a smile on his face.


On a distant mountain a group of wolves and Changelings with all black chitin crosses a small channel that cut through the range and provided passage. Ahead of them standing before the group were two figures. The wore heavy fur lined cloaks that billowed in the wind. "Come on boys!" Yelled on of thew cloaked figured as they turned revealing the blue furred face of Queen Astrid. "The sun's setting and time's wasting and we still have a ways to go!" She yelled as the figure next to her reached a chitin covered hand out and tugged on her cloak.

"There not you Astrid." Queen Rayla said in a calm voice that cut through the wind. "Besides there is no need to hurry, The Harmony Empire is going nowhere fast and we have been making good time."

Queen Astrid grunted and turned to her wife. "It's not reaching the Empire I'm worried about but these lands. They're home to the Frost Giants of Niflheim." She said as a roar shook the earth. Rayla turned to see a massive hulking creature approach them and gasped in shock. Astrid drew her spear and charged forward a massive war cry common from her as she leaped at the Giant who roared once more and lifted a massive club.