• Published 1st Feb 2019
  • 13,176 Views, 1,522 Comments

Harry Potter and the Crystal Empire - Damaged



The door of the Chamber of Secrets is just ahead, and Harry Potter has no clue what kind of changes will unfold once he passes it. Monsters will become friends, friends will become monsters, and Hogwarts itself will change completely.

  • ...
49
 1,522
 13,176

What It Means To Be A Wizard

"Is it his pet?"

"Maybe. He's a parselmouth, so I could see him havin' a pet snake."

"You should poke her." I recognized the third voice as Ron.

—Harry Potter. If you don't stop them from poking me I'm going to give them all a good looking at,— Addera sounded annoyed.

Not relishing the idea of an annoyed former basilisk, I tried to sit up in bed—which turned out to be impossible. Addera was spread all over me, some of her coils over my chest, and she kept me pinned to the bed.

"She's not a pet and you probably don't want to poke her," I said. "Addera, can you move off me?"

—You're nice and soft, Harry Potter, and warm too. I may not be cold-blooded, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a warm snuggle.— She shifted, all of Addera's coils moving at once. I wish I could move, but all she'd done was shift a little.

"That's all snake?!" Seamus' normally calm Irish accent raised an octave and increased in pace.

Dean wasn't as quick to fall back. "Does it—she—bite?"

—No. She stares at little boys who ask too many questions,— Addera said.

I managed to move quickly enough this time. Shooting an arm out, I covered Addera's face just as she opened her eyes.

Ron, who had started turning away before I'd even started moving, had a hand over his own eyes. "I bet she just said something nasty! What'd she say, Harry?"

"She said she doesn't bite, and not to ask so many questions. She also hypnotizes people by looking at them." I kept my hand in place, even as Addera tried to knock it aside with her hooves. "Addera! You can't just go staring at everyone. Or biting them. I want you to promise not to unless it's an emergency."

—I won't. What your 'friend' did last night was hardly an emergency, but it would have required you, Harry Potter, to have been inconvenienced.— As Addera spoke, she used her hooves to make air-quotes. I tried to remember where I'd seen it recently that she could have, and remembered her conversation with Neville.

"That didn't sound like a promise," Ron said.

—I will protect you, Harry Potter, and I will protect myself. It is interesting being able to look at people and not killing them. Please take your hand away,— Addera said.

Feeling her close her eyes again, I drew my hand back. "It wasn't a promise. She said she won't make that promise."

"Well, I'm glad. You remember Neville from last night?" Ron took a step back and to the side. "He wasn't exactly an emergency… and he's still laying there."

"What?" I asked. Only when Addera moved a little more did I manage to climb out of bed. Walking over to Neville's bed, I saw him laying on top of it, fully dressed, staring up with a happy smile on his face. "How long's he been like this?"

"I don't know. Since he got in, I guess. I told him to go to bed last night." Ron waved a hand in front of Neville's face, but the boy didn't react.

"Tell him wake," Addera said. Everyone in the room turned to look at her. —If I'd known using English would get everyone to look at me, I'd have opened my eyes, too.—

"You can tell we're looking at you?" I asked.

Meanwhile, Ron had stepped up closer to Neville and leaned over him. "Wake up!"

"No! You gotta do it like a hypnotist. Out of my way." Dean elbowed Ron aside and leaned over. "On the count of three, you'll wake up. One. Two. Three!" He snapped his fingers right in front of Neville's nose.

—Clever,— Addera said. She turned back to me. —I knew they were looking at me because I could feel them moving and I could taste their breath on the air grow stronger.—

I stopped all my worries about the morning and just digested that. She could taste the breath of people, and use that to know when they were facing her. "Good thing I didn't have to fight you without my wand. Even blinded, you would have caught me no matter what I did."

—You fought clever, Harry Potter. You are certainly the most interesting unicorn I've ever met.—

"What happened to me? Why is my neck so sore?" Neville asked.

Addera's hissing laughter drew a smile from me. I couldn't help it. The situation had been so tense the night before, but now it seemed much less so. "You were going to dispell Headmistress McGonagall's work. Addera mesmerized you, and Ron told you to come back here and lay down."

"Yeah! Lay down!" Ron was quick to agree with my shortened version of the truth. "Besides, you can hardly tell he's a unicorn just by lookin' at 'im."

—He was doing so well, too. Are all your friends this predictable, Harry Potter?—

"What does he mean, 'unicorn'?" Neville asked. "I knew something was off…"

"Ron!" I fumbled about for my cleaning things and, for a moment, considered throwing them at him. In the end I settled on stomping out to have a shower.

In all the years I'd been washing myself, I'd never felt as self-conscious about it before. Everything felt wrong, right down to how I held the soap and washcloth. I worked as quickly as I could, and was out in record time. Half expecting to see Addera in the dorm showers, I made my way back to our room—apparently there were some things above even her ability to explain.

When I got back to the dorm room, I found Addera writing things down on a piece of paper for none other than Fred Weasley. The scene was utterly incomprehensible to me. When I stepped into the room, Fred folded up the bit of paper, nodded to Addera, and turned for the door I was walking through.

"Morning 'Arry. Don't mind me. Just makin' meself better acquainted with our newest student," Fred Weasley said. Just his presence here without George was worrying.

"Uh. Alright." Still clad in my bathrobe, I edged around Fred and looked directly to Addera. Thankfully, she had her eyes closed. "What was all that about?"

—He's a very nice young man, Harry Potter. Also, we're expected at breakfast. Apparently there will be an announcement about me,— Addera said.

Seamus was in the process of pulling on his own dressing robe. "'E also said no one's allowed to do any magic. Orders of Headmistress McGonagall. I still can't believe she's in charge now."

"Better her than Snape," Ron said.

Everyone in the room nodded, even Addera.

I grabbed up my spare uniform and robes and set about getting dressed in them. Thinking back, I remembered what Seamus had just said about spells. "Why can't we use magic?"

"No idea. You want to break the rules?" Seamus asked. His expression was practically a dare to do it.

Shaking my head, I shrugged. "No wand. Mine got burned." I realized I'd said something interesting when Seamus and Dean both turned their full attention on me. "Y-You'll hear all about it at breakfast." Their expressions didn't change. "It was all Fawkes' fault." Only Seamus still looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "I was told not to talk about it. I've already told you more than I should."

"See, Harry, you just have to tell us the truth." Seamus walked off, practically strutting.

Once Dean followed him, Ron turned to me. "And you think I'm bad at spilling my guts. You'll get us both in trouble." He turned and walked off in a threadbare bathrobe.

—He's right, Harry Potter. You could have made a lot of little lies up, but your first instinct was the truth. You're a curious creature.—

"What's so wrong with telling the truth?" I straightened my school uniform and began the grueling task of tying my tie.

—It's the easy way out, Harry Potter. Would you like to play a game that my mother taught to me?— Addera slithered around so her front end was right in front of me, which meant she was half draped on my bed.

I flipped my tie up and over, then tucked it through a lower loop, and pulled it straight. "What kind of game?"

—You need to lie all day, Harry Potter. Not big things, just all the little questions other people will bombard you with.—

"Of course not. That's silly. What if—" But my brain was already attacking the problem. What could I have said to Seamus and Dean that would have thrown them off earlier? What could I have said in the first case that wouldn't have gotten them interested in me at all?

—What if you had just told him you wouldn't do any magic then?— Addera's mouth spread in a fang-showing smile. —I could help you play the game, Harry Potter. Just ask me to open my eyes and I can tell you the rules of this game in a way that will ensure you play.—

"You're asking my permission to hypnotize me?" I asked. Damn, she hadn't even opened her eyes and I was already spellbound by the idea of it. "No."

—No to the eye-whammy, or no to the game?—

"No to the eye-whammy thing and no to the game. This is silly." I reached out for my robes and pulled them up and over my shoulders. "Come on. We can beat the others to breakfast and hear any gossip that's going around."

On our way to breakfast Addera seemed quieter than usual. Having thought that, I had to question my sanity. Yes, the thousand-year-old basilisk that owes me her life seems to be quieter than the rest of the half a day I've known her. Honestly, Harry, I think you're going daft.

Addera slithered along at my side. Her twenty feet or so of tail glided over the floor almost completely soundlessly. She never once had to hold out a hoof to feel her way despite not being able to see at all. When we reached the great hall, however, she froze a moment.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

—There are a lot of people here. Too many to focus on, Harry Potter.— Addera reached a hoof out to me and I took it instinctively. —I'll be relying on you.—

"There 'e is." George's voice was clear over the general noise of the hall.

Fred, sitting beside his brother, lifted an arm to wave us over. "And he brought Addera with 'im."

The entire hall went silent as everyone turned to see Addera. For nearly twenty seconds no one said a word. I thought the deafening silence would go on forever, but Headmistress McGonagall stood up. She'd been sitting in the headmaster's chair, of course, which was a clear statement to everyone present who was officially in charge now.

"Harry Potter. Could you escort Miss Addera to the front of the Great Hall. We've been expecting you." McGonagall was, as usual, hard to read. She looked at the pair of us like we were the least interesting people in the room. Well, I might be, but Addera was getting all the looks.

—They're all looking at us, aren't they, Harry Potter?— Addera asked softly.

"No. They're looking at you, Addera," I replied, equally as quiet. When I told her, I watched both her ears perk up. She seemed to hold her head a little higher and there was a bit more of a waggle to her slithering. "No need to overdo it."

—What is this all about?—

"I have no ide—" I cut my words short. McGonagall was holding the Sorting Hat. "Okay. Maybe I have some idea. She's going to put the Sorting Hat on your head, and it will pronounce which house you will be in."

"Gryffindor," Addera said in plain English.

I sighed. "Addera, it's probably going to put you in—"

—Don't you dare say it. And if the hat wants to associate me with his house, then Hogwarts will soon need a new hat.—

Biting my tongue to keep from laughing, I led the way up until we were both standing just before McGonagall. This close, and with my glasses on, I could see there was the hint of a smile on her face.

"Until the end of the school year, we have a new student staying with us. She will be attending classes more to assess her skills until we can find something better suited to her talents. This will require a very special sorting ceremony." McGonagall reached for the Sorting Hat.

Murmurs ran through the crowd, and the few I managed to pick up on were all mostly ribbing about "I bet I know what house she's in" or "heir of Slytherin and a snake are chums, big surprise." I tried to ignore them all. After all, I knew the whole heir of Slytherin thing meant Voldemort now.

"Turn around and face everyone, dear." McGonagall's tone had changed from officious to comforting. That she would spare comfort for a thousand-year-old basilisk was a little surprising. When Addera slithered herself around to be facing everyone, I heard as all the Gryffindor students rushed up to stand around me. I was surprised by their support, and even more surprised when I realized it was for me. "Right then. Good luck."

McGonagall set the Sorting Hat on Addera's head.

"Sl—" The hat barely got the first sibilant syllable out before its mouth crashed closed.

Addera's mouth twitched and moved, but no sound came from her.

The Hat, as I knew, was likely goading her on in her head. Addera wasn't speaking out loud, but her mouth moved as she thought her words at the hat. "A stubborn one, and full of fire. Maybe Rav—" the Sorting Hat said before, again, stopping. "Prideful. Stubborn. Loyal to a fault. There's only one house I can see deserving you."

Everyone seemed to lean a little closer. Addera's mouth was clamped closed, and I started closing my eyes just in case she got so angry at the Hat's choice she opened hers.

"Gryffindor!"

I was too slow in closing my eyes. I watched as Addera's eyelids started to part but my view was blocked by a cleverly timed push of the Sorting Hat such that it covered Addera's face.

"Miss Addera, I'll have you not mesmerize the entirety of the school on a whim." McGonagall had her reprimand tone engaged. "Now go and greet your housemates." And she was back to neutral.

It apparently didn't matter too much to the rest of Gryffindor that Addera wasn't exactly a wizard, nor that she was effectively a giant snake—she was now a Gryffindor. When she slithered up to me, I put my arm around her and gave her a hug. Others tried to shake her hooves, each touch seeming to surprise her.

Like a wave we carried each other back to our table. I managed to guide Addera to a seat that she carefully coiled her tail around before positioning herself on it.

The tell-tale tapping of a knife against a glass silenced us within three taps. I turned my head to look up at the head table and saw McGonagall settling back onto the throne-like headmaster's chair. It was Dumbledore that was tapping a glass.

"Excuse me everyone, but we have some more announcements," Dumbledore said. No sooner did he finish speaking than Ron, Seamus, Dean, Neville, and Hermione stepped through the big doorway. "Please, take your seats." He waited for my friends to rush up and sit at the table. "As you are all well aware, something happened last night. Not long after Governor Malfoy ejected myself from my position as Headmaster of Hogwarts, something very strange indeed happened. Mr. Potter did battle with a creature in the Chamber of Secrets, aided by the charming Miss Addera. Whatever the creature was, it did great harm to the most esteemed Professor Lockheart, Ginevra Weasley, and also activated the protective wards around Hogwarts.

"Furthermore, something very strange has happened to the grounds around the school, and we must ask all students to remain within the main school building until further notice. As you can see, Miss Addera has been turned into a most curious creature, though we assure you she is every bit a wizard. Ginevra is, we're sad to say, spending her time trapped in the form of a diary. Last but not least, Harry has been placed under a curse of unknown origin that, at times, may transform him.

"As you are all aware, there is a restriction on magic. The reason for this is that the very same curse that Harry is suffering under seems to be inflicting itself on anyone who works a spell. At this time we're sure we'll find a reversal for the effect, but until we do we ask non-lifesaving magics to be kept to an absolute minimum.

"Subsequently, the end of year examinations are canceled for everybody except fifth and seventh years. We will be holding yours the moment everything is resolved and it is safe to use magic freely again."

As always, Dumbledore's eyes scanned the crowd of students. My attention was on McGonagall. I remembered the moment last night when she'd grown a tail without realizing it, and I couldn't help but put things together. Her casting the spell that made me human again had done that, and if they were warning students not to cast anything it meant she hadn't been able to undo it.

"That is all… for now," Dumbledore said, and sat down at McGonagall's right side.

I leaned a little closer to Addera and whispered to her, —I'm kinda glad I can't cast right now. Comfortable as I felt as a unicorn, I don't exactly want to keep turning into one.—

—I was curious to learn spellcasting, too. Would you teach me, Harry Potter?— Addera asked.

Dropping back to English, my voice was well hidden by the general noise of all the students talking now that Dumbledore was done. "I'm pretty sure that once everything's sorted out, you'll be able to learn here."

Addera reached out with a hoof and plucked up a fork with it somehow, she then speared a sausage from one of the platters. —Yes, but then I'd have to start at first year, Harry Potter. I want you to catch me up to your level.— She brought the fat pork sausage to her mouth and gulped it down whole.

"Cor! Did you see that Fred?" George asked.

Fred quickly nodded. "I sure did, George. I have to wonder if our latest Gryffindor student could do that again, say, five more times?"

"What odds would you put on it, Fred?"

"I'm thinking two-to-one against. It was a fluke."

—Five is no challenge. Harry Potter, tell them to raise the betting to ten, and I'll take half of their earnings.—

I stared at Addera.

—Go on.—

"Addera says if you make it ten, she'll take half what you two clear," I said.

At my side, Fred put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me tight against him. "Keep it down, 'Arry. I like her plan, but,"—he leaned in so his mouth was so close to my ear that no one would hear him but me—"tell her to stop at nine."

Right. Now Addera was helping Fred and George grift our fellow students. —Addera, Fred said to stop eating at nine,— I said in parseltongue.

Addera's smile widened and she nodded to Fred. —Your friends are clever, Harry Potter. They're going to make me some glasses.—

"Some glasses?" I asked.

My question was overshadowed by Fred standing up. "Ladies and gents, girls and boys, and members of 'ous Slytherin." He gave the Slytherin table a sarcastic bow.

George jumped to his twin's side. "The newest member of house Gryffindor just told us she could eat a dozen prime-cut Cumberlands, whole. I told 'er no Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin could 'ope to match 'er."

I risked a glance to the head table, and though a few of the faculty were watching what was going on, none intervened.

"So pick your best, put your Knuts on the line and lets see which house has the best," Fred said. He turned to point at Addera, only to see her gulping down another sausage. "Slow down! We 'aven't started counting yet!"

Her confidence was what did the other houses in. Addera was reaching for another sausage as an older boy on the Hufflepuff table stood up and glared at the Weasley twins.

"Our Heidi could eat two dozen, couldn't you Hei? Thin as a rake she is, plenty of room for more food! All she needs is her lucky hat!"

The girl in question produced her witch's hat from her robe and set it on her head. She looked more mature with the hat on, and I immediately realized where I'd seen her before, the Hufflepuff quidditch practice.

"And she hadn't started eating yet, right Cedric?" George held out a hand to the tall boy I now knew was Cedric. "How many you think Addera can eat?"

Cedric paused, and I could practically hear the gears turning over in his head. He'd likely thought it was going to be bet on who wins, but George was playing a different game. "I'll put down money that your girl doesn't get down even eight more!"

Coins changed hands, and it was on.

"Don't worry, I got this." Of course he did. Crabbe stood up from his table beside Malfoy. He was a monster, standing taller than most of the students in his year, and wider than anyone from the year above us. He climbed over the Slytherin table to sit down beside Addera. "Might as well give up now."

—Looking at him would be against the rules, wouldn't it, Harry Potter?— Addera asked.

—Yes,— I said in parseltongue. —You probably wouldn't get paid.—

Addera grabbed up another sausage and ate it.

—How many of those could you eat?— I asked.

—Probably all of them. My belly, Harry Potter, is still reptilian. I could eat this oaf beside me and still ask for a sausage.— Addera's tongue lashed her lips in a sign of obvious delight. —These are a lot tastier than humans.—

That cute face, the little snout, the sweet ears poking from her mane—they all hid the fact that Addera had killed, had eaten, and had hunted humans. I'm not sure what of those three was the most terrifying, but it wasn't her killing. Technically, I'd killed Voldemort and his ghost now.

Another boy (named Marcus) sat down opposite Addera and then the betting started. George and Fred were taking bets from everyone, but the biggest bets were coming from the oldest of the Gryffindor house. When one put twenty Knuts, Draco jumped to his feet and rushed over to put fifty on Crabbe.

"What were you talkin' about?" Crabbe asked. "Bloody parseltongue shouldn't be in Gryffindor, and now you got two!"

"Addera had been stuck down there for a while, hiding from the basilisk. While the basilisk ate all the biggest prey, she ate the smaller things. A lot of smaller things." I looked past Addera to see a flicker of something I'd never seen in Crabbe's face before.

"Th-There weren't any spiders, were there?" he asked.

—Addera, I'm trying to put Crabbe off his game. Just nod,— I said to Addera, and of course she nodded with a big smile. "Yeah. Spiders. I bet their legs are crunchy." There it was again, a flash of disgust and fear. "But their bodies? I bet when she bites into them, they'd pop and all the yucky stuff would come out."

Crabbe had actually turned a shade of green now.

Letting out a hissing laugh, Addera opened her mouth and snapped her teeth together. —He doesn't like spiders, Harry Potter? Can you find me something that oozes to eat?—

I looked around the table while Ron's brothers took the last of their bets. Spotting an egg-in-a-hole with some crispy toast and what looked like a runny yolk yet to break. "You look like you could use a snack, Addera, try this."

Reaching to me with a hoof, Addera took the toast and egg and bit into it. The rich yolk ran down onto her lips, only to be collected by her long, forked tongue. The crunch of the toast was everything I'd hoped for.

Crabbe turned a particularly nasty shade of green and covered his mouth. If nothing else, Malfoy was going to lose all his money on this one.

Ron, who had been watching everything from beside me, reached across and grabbed the toast—which resulted in more egg spilling. "'Old your horses. Gosh you're so eager. What did they feed you down in the sewers, spiders?"

Addera, I could see, was having trouble not laughing.

"Alright ladies and gents, you each have a plate of twenty of the finest British pork sausages. This ain't a race—" Fred said.

"… unless it is," George said, cutting in on Fred, "in which case the first to twenty wins."

—I could eat all twenty, Harry Potter,— Addera said. She completely ignored the other three who started eating.

—I know, Addera. But you're not beating them, you're beating anyone who bet on you.— I pointed at the plate. "Are you going to start?"

Beside Addera, Crabbe held his first sausage in his hand, and had taken four big bites out of it so far—one remained.

Addera picked up her first sausage and just gulped it down. Then she followed it with a second. —These are delicious,— she said.

"And with just two mouthfulls Addera takes the lead!" Fred said, and got a cheer from all the Gryffindor students.

—I'm bored, Harry Potter. What else is there to eat?— Addera reached a hoof past her sausages and plucked up another egg-in-the-hole. —Is there anything to drink?—

I reached over for a cup of juice and passed it to her. "You should probably start eating sausages again. Crabbe's up to his third."

Folding up the toast, Addera crammed it into her mouth with a happy sigh and gulped it down. Then she chased it down with three sausages in a row. Then she picked up two and gulped them down at the same time.

Crabbe froze. I wondered what'd happened. He was staring down at his sausage with a look of panic. There was a piece of some kind of black seasoning that'd clumped together in his sausage right at the point he'd bitten into it. Combined with a little bit of gristle and a pocket of fat, and it looked for all the world like a bit of an insect.

I jumped to my feet quickly and grabbed the opening of my robe and pulled it around Addera to shield her. Ducking down behind the improvised shield meant all I could do. The sound of retching, and the feel of stuff hitting my robe told me it was a good choice.

Beside me, Addera reached for three more sausages, and ate just two of them. —That's nine.— She carefully set the third down.

Across from us, Marcus sat in shock at the mess Crabbe had made, while his counterpart, Heidi, held her wand out with one hand. She'd made an expert Protego, but what was amazing about it was she'd done it with a mouthful of sausage. She lowered her wand and let the spell hold for a moment longer before it faded.

Heidi was apparently on her sixth. She ate that, then reached for another.

—Tell them I'm full. I couldn't eat another sausage,— Addera said.

"She says that Crabbe's stink is so bad it's put her off breakfast." For a hot second I wondered if she had used her whammy on me and I hadn't noticed. I'd lied to help cover for her and it had come so easily it didn't feel like a lie.

"That means, Miss Macavoy, if'n you eat four more of those fat little pork sausages, you win." Fred elbowed George. "Imagine that? Our ringer put off her food by Slytherin."

"'Ardly surprising, Fred. They put me off my food on the best of days," George said with a smirk.

People were trying to clear away the mess that Crabbe had left, while Heidi kept eating. She was amazing, honestly. She got to seven, then eight, then nine. "I just need to eat one more bite, right?"

All the Hufflepuff students cheered prematurely. Heidi was already picking up her tenth Cumberland. She didn't just bite a mouthful off, Heidi Macavoy slowly ate her way through the whole thing.

"We have a winner!" George and Fred said together.

"House Hufflepuff proving themselves unmatched when it comes to eating, and making a killing," Fred said while George was paying people out.

I got up to make my way out of the Great Hall. My robe was filthy and I didn't have a wand to clean it with. Addera straightened from the table, grabbed a few more pieces of egg-in-the-hole, and turned toward the exit too.

Across from us, Heidi was surrounded by cheering Hufflepuff students. She reached up and pulled off her hat only for everyone to go silent. Sitting proud on Heidi's head were two fuzzy, orange equine ears.

"P-Put your hat back on, Hei." Cedric took said hat from her hand and plopped it back on her head. "Come on, let's talk to Headmistress McGonagall."

"What's wrong? What happened?" Heidi sounded actually worried. I could see fear in her eyes as Cedric put his arm around her.

A snort of derision sounded clearly over the quiet of the hall. Malfoy was sneering at Heidi and opening his mouth. "Typical for a mud-blood. You won't catch any pure-bloods turning into beasts."

Heidi hadn't quite turned away. She looked at Malfoy with disgust on her face. His words seemed to cut deep as tears welled in her eyes.

I'd had enough. I turned to look at Malfoy and felt my old companion—anger—rear up inside me. "Why don't you shove it, Malfoy. If you think your oh-so-pure-blood protects you, why don't you cast a spell?"

"Because I don't need to, Potter. I'd just get a beastly mud-blood to do it. Not like it will make much of a difference to them."

—Harry Potter, you need to calm down,— Addera said.

But her words were too little, too late. I took a step closer to Malfoy—he was on the other side of the Slytherin table—and I felt my anger coming to a head. "You annoying, little, piece of—"

My anger was pure, hot like Fawkes' flames. The world around Malfoy turned blue-white, and I had the utter delight of watching worry register on his face. "… crap."

I fell forward onto my hands. I looked down and saw the bleached skin and fingers fade away. I shrank, but I didn't shrink out of my clothes.

It was like I'd had a crick in my neck. Everything had felt tense and wrong, but now I felt right. Standing on four split hooves, I lifted my head back up from my black hide to stare at Malfoy.

Draco Malfoy's fear was palpable, but there was something inside him that hardened, or so it seemed. His eyes steadied and a grim sneer pulled at his lips.

He moved fast. Malfoy's wand came up and flicked a straight line before jabbing at me. "Im-ped-a-men-ta!"

I needed to lower my head and counter with a shield, but I could barely think straight enough not to incinerate Malfoy let alone build the focus to cast my own Protego. Given the alternative I was about to dive aside when instinct kicked in. Something inside me—the part of my anger that danced in the flames that surrounded me—urged me to open my mouth.

Turquoise light flared bright and lanced toward me like a thunderbolt. I could have dived out of the way or tried for a shield, but instead I did as felt right and opened my mouth. The bright light of Draco's spell grew brighter still, and it dove toward my mouth and inside.

A shiver of excitement ran through me, and the bright blue-green light of my flames seemed to grow. I felt a rush that made me want to burn Malfoy for daring to attack me! I wanted—

"Harry James Potter!" McGonagall's voice cut through everything. "What do you think you're doing? Wasting all my work and your spare clothes to boot." As she spoke, McGonagall drew closer and closer.

My rage tapered off as I realized what had happened. All around me things were burning, except for one item—Ginny's diary must have dropped out of my pocket when my robe burned. It was on the floor. "S-Sorry, Headmistress!"

Just like that the fire stopped. The flames winked out and I realized the world was a blur.

I hadn't realized just how silent the hall had become. No one was talking. Despite my ruined eyesight, however, I could tell that everyone was staring at me. "What?" I asked.

"'Arry, you turned into a unicorn again," Ron said.

As if by magic, Ron's words summoned muffled chatter to the room (though I have to say, if breaking silence was magic, then there would be not a single muggle in the world).

"Figures that you'd go too far as usual, Potter. Turning yourself into a monster just because your house lost a stupid little bet?" Draco grabbed hold of his robe and swished it as he turned. "Typical."

I was about to say something back when I realized what I'd just done. The spell that McGonagall cast was gone and I was—I was a little unicorn. Really little. I craned my head to look up at Ron and Hermione as they rushed to my side. "Uh—"

"You're a tiny unicorn," Hermione said. "You weren't lying."

I looked back to where Malfoy should have been, but he was gone. It was only odd in that normally he would have tried to make us back away—I guess losing Crabbe's support changed Malfoy's normal tactics.

—Harry Potter! You're back to normal.— Addera slithered around behind me. It was only as she got closer that I realized how much larger than me she was too. Everything was bigger than me!

But I realized something amazing—I had my "wand" back! I tried not to cross my eyes and look up at my horn, but I couldn't help myself. When I held my wand, I didn't feel any particular thing except the potential for magic, but this was so different—magic flowed through my horn.

"You're not going to catch on fire again?" Ron asked. "Only, I'd rather not burn up if I got too close to you." He looked at me as if he were serious, and I started to realize he was.

I shrugged my shoulders. "This is the first time since I—" I bit off my answer as I realized we were anything but alone and free to talk. "Why don't we go back to the common room and talk about it?"


A little yellow hoof poked through the ground—reminiscent of zombie movies. Another hoof poked out and the pair waggled in the morning light, then went still.

Nearly five minutes of the ground shifting later and four spikes pushed from the ground. White and metallic, they were heralds for the blunted snout of a dark mask. More of the mask emerged to reveal slit, green-glowing eyes.

With the ground broken, the yellow form wearing the mask emerged from the chill ground and stood free of its subterranean tomb. Slowly turning toward the north, puffs of condensing breath could be seen emerging from the snout at regular intervals.

The eyes of the mask flickered once, twice, and then a third time before one of the little yellow hooves lifted up and shoved the mask off.

"NO!" Tourmaline reared up on her back hooves, braced her forelegs out before her and brought them down on the mask. "No! No! No!" Each shout was punctuated by the smash of metal under rock-hard hooves. On and on she shouted until the mask looked more like a frying pan and was embedded in the ground.

"Daddy said masks are bad!"

Backing up a few steps and puffing hard, Tourmaline shook herself. She turned to examine the spiked armor that fit her badly. It was sized for a much older pony, and with a few wild bucks most of it was free from her form. She spent a good bit of time stomping all that too.

Panting, Tourmaline stopped her destruction and looked around. A little red hoof shoved free of the cold ground and wiggled. Gasping in surprise, Tourmaline bounded over and grabbed the red hoof, braced her back legs in the ground, and pulled.

A red foal emerged wearing a much better fitting armor and mask. Their green eyes flickered to life, and they turned to the north.

"No! Not you too!"

Trotting over to her friend, Tourmaline tried to pull their mask off, but it seemed to have a tighter grip on the red crystal pony foal's head than hers had possessed.

"This sucks." Looking around Tourmaline watched as other foals pulled their way out of the ground. She rushed to each to free them, but being the smallest in the school was both an advantage and a disadvantage. "I need to get help."

Scanning the horizon revealed a reflective flash of light to Tourmaline. Her ears perked up, and her face burst into happiness. "Stay riiight here. I'm going to get help!"

The filly galloped as fast as her little hooves could carry her right toward Hogwarts castle.

Author's Note:

Addera. now that you are free from the chamber, is there any specific food you'd like to eat? I doubt being down there that long gave you much in the way of food.

While she looked at the words above, Addera raised one eyebrow. —Do I really need to say how much I love pork sausages?—


So I do this "Ask X" thing. X can be any pony within the story. You can ask them anything and they will definitely, hopefully reply. Keep the questions appropriate to the age-rating of the stories, and they will answer the best question in the author notes of the next chapter. The more votes a comment has the more likely I will get it to the right pony to answer. Try to keep it to one question per post! They will pick one question per chapter.

Support me on Patreon or fuel my writing on Ko-Fi!

Join me on Discord. Warning, said chat may contain NSFW material and should be considered adult in nature.

Awesome ponies who are already helping to keep me in keyboards and rum:
A.P.O.N.I.
Boulder
Canary in the Coal Mine
Daremo
Dio-Drogynous
KFS Crimson
Lazyreader19
Nils
Sirion123

And special thanks to the following, for careful eyes and friendly words:
Lab