• Published 26th Sep 2018
  • 5,173 Views, 182 Comments

RIDER TIME - WozWuzHere



The last survivor of a world of Kamen Riders lands in Equestria, and vows to protect it from evil.

  • ...
14
 182
 5,173

Chapter 6: Dragon in the Mirror

-----

“Mhmmm, this is good. Compliments to the chef,” Tom said as he dug into some apple cinnamon Prench toast, some baked apples off to the side. “Like I don’t think I’ve met anyone who can do this much with apples.”

“Well, glad ya like it sonny,” Granny Smith said as she passed him by. “Go on, eat up, you need some meat on them there bones! You’re as skinny as a rake! No family member of mine is going to look like he might fall over in a stiff breeze!”

Tom nearly choked on his breakfast at that. “F-Family member?”

“Sure sonny!” Granny almost cackled. “You save my family twice now, so you’re welcome in this house any time you like! Honestly, I should probably invite that Gates fella over as well, considering he helped and all!”

“I wouldn't hold your breath...he's definitely one of those Tsundere types if I've ever seen one…” Tom mumbled under his breath. “Reminds me of that fire and ice guy from that one manga.”

“Tsu-what now? Is that like some new-fangled genetically engineered fruit some lab cooked up?” Granny Smith asked, blinking. “Ah, whatever, I don’t care if he’s from some other family, I owe him a proper Apple Family dinner! He saved my granddaughter from those nasty alien vines!”

Applejack for her part, hadn’t really said much during any of this. She’d just been eating her food quietly, trying not to meet Tom’s eyes. Every time she got close, she turned away out of shame.

“What do you think AJ, eh?” Granny asked. “You think we should invite that Gates character over as well?”

“Whatever you say Granny…” Applejack said to herself, not really paying much attention.

“Oh, I see how it is!” Granny cackled again. “You got your head in the clouds again, thinking about that little rainbow-maned sweetheart of yours! You two fused right? Fancy way of tyin’ the knot isn’t it?”

Tom stifled a laugh.

“So when ya gonna kiss her?” Granny went on. “It’s not a proper marriage before you kiss the bride! Don’t keep a mare waitin, it’s improper!”

Spike sniggered and Applejack spat out her drink coughing.

“She’s not my-” the mare tried to argue.

“Oh hush with it, quit lyin’ to yourself. I’ve seen the way you make eyes at each other, it was how I used to make eyes with my late husband, bless his soul,” Granny said. “It usually ended with us going for a tussle in the barn!”

“TMI, Granny!” Applejack said, nearly whining as she put her hands to her ears.

“She’s not wrong,” Tom put in. “I think everyone and their grandma can see it. Like you two are so head over heels for one another, and heck didn’t you make her your better half -literally- for a reason?”

“Yer darn tootin' I can see it!” Granny added.

“Pretty sure the original W duo were so gay for each other…” Tom muttered to himself. “At least, that’s what my gramps always said.”

“Oh, your grandfather? You’ve never told us a lot about your family.” Twilight finally spoke.

“Well, he’s more distantly related than that, but he was like a real father to me.” Tom explained. “Taught me everything about the Kamen Riders that school didn’t. Granted, he had a lot of personal experience as a Rider himself.”

“Oh?” here Twilight leaned in, her curiosity piqued.

“Kamen Rider Decade, the Destroyer of Worlds…” Tom said sadly to himself.

“I’m… I’m sorry but did you just say-”

“Your grandpa was… h-he destroyed worlds?” Spike stammered out.

“Oh it sounds worse than it actually is, think of it like this okay? He’s basically like a plumber for time and space, unclogging the dimensions right?” Tom said, with a wave of his hand. “Getting rid of the bad stuff.”

“I-I’m sorry, but I just can’t help but think of, well…” Twilight said. “I can’t but help but think of a fat and sweaty guy in a Kamen Rider suit hunched over a sink.”

Tom snorted at this. “Still would be better than what some people thought of him. But he’s really not a bad guy. Well, as long as you don’t try to make him eat sea cucumber.”

“Well, anyone need me to do the dishes?” Spike asked, grabbing some of the empty plates.

“Nah, I got this. This was mostly for my benefit, so it’s only fair that I clean up,” Tom said, grabbing them out of his hands and heading for the sink.

“Oh sure, the Rider does it. He’s a savior of ponykind and enemy to dirt everywhere,” Spike said to himself, going unheard. “I bet he vacuums and rescues kittens from trees too.”

“What was that, Spike?” Twilight asked.

“Uh, oh, nothing!” The dragon quickly backpedaled. “Tell you what- I’m gonna go ahead and start on cleaning up the library! Those books we got back need to go back on the shelves, after all!”

Tom frowned as he watched Spike leave, the front door opening with a creaking sound.

“Is it just me or… I don’t want to impose, but given everything going on I’m worried,” Tom said.

“No, go on, speak your mind,” Twilight nodded.

“It’s just, does something seem wrong with him or is it just me?” Tom asked.

“Well, he was attacked by that Another Rider yesterday, he’s probably still on edge.” Twilight rationalized.

“I sure hope that’s the case…” Tom pondered.

Honestly, he had his doubts.

Tom couldn’t imagine how it felt, suddenly no longer being the center of attention. While he doubted the young dragon was that self-centered, suddenly here along came someone new. Someone who could quite literally be described as a knight in shining armor.

The shiny new thing to grab everyone else’s attention and to be fawned over.

Including probably by a certain mare.

Tom wasn’t stupid, okay maybe not completely. But even he could see the longing little looks that Spike was sending Rarity.

The hopes contained within that maybe just maybe she’d notice him. Give him a chance.

Oh boy.

“Well, you really dug yourself a deep hole this time didn’t you buddy?” the Rider thought to himself as he washed the dishes.

He cast a look at Twilight, and sighed.

“I know this is really something she should speak to him about, but I should probably do something as well, before this gets too out of hand,” Tom continued to think to himself. “I’m the source of all of this, so I should at least attempt to fix it.”

Right?

Breaking into a sprint, he ran out the door.

In town, Spike sighed. He didn’t want to sound ungrateful, and he really wasn’t, but there were days when he wanted to be the hero.

To be more than just Twilight’s little kid brother. The town dragon. Maybe it was dumb, but he liked being unique, a talking point.

Something that Ponyville could boast about. Well, we have the world’s greatest crepes, what do you have?

Oh, just a friendly neighborhood dragon!

And now Ponyville had something even more impressive, an actual superhero. Not a fake one like Mare-Do-Well, which for the record he’d been against from the start but a real one.

Like a shining knight straight out of a fairy tale.

“And it isn’t me…” Spike thought to himself, the teenage drake rubbing his arm. “I know, it’s pretty childish of me isn’t it? To want to be a hero, when I know I’m appreciated but... it’s just I want to be something a bit ‘more’. I can’t even be a dragon right, where are my wings?”

A nasty little voice in the back of his head said maybe he wanted to be appreciated by one specific pony, before being pushed aside.

No, Rarity appreciated him enough right? She knew he was useful!

And yet… And yet! Every time she looked out the window, her eyes wandered towards Tom.

“Good grief, get over yourself. She’s a grown mare, she’s allowed to have a few crushes here and there, and it’s only natural!”

But, and there was that nasty little voice back again, what if it wasn’t just a crush?

No, he needed to get ahold of himself. He was starting to sound like an incel or something, like that jerk with the grape powers that Tom had mentioned in passing once.

Like he was entitled to Rarity’s hand. That she wasn’t allowed to choose for herself.

She was a grown mare, she was allowed to choose who she was allowed to date, and if that person happened to be Tom, well he’d support her.

Like any good friend.

Spike knew there had always been a chance that she saw him nothing more as her model and very special assistant. That he was just going to strike out.

He clenched his fist. That Tom would swoop in, like he always did, and-

No, he needed to get ahold of himself. He needed to be better.

He wasn’t like all of the other dragons, who’d just take what they wanted and not caring who got hurt in the process.

He had to be better, set an example for the rest of his species.

Then if that was the case, why did he feel so damn useless? He was a dragon damnit, and yet he couldn’t save anyone. He had the fire and the claws and none of that was helpful against any of these Another Riders.

Spike’s fist slammed into a wall, cracking it slightly. An angry snort let out two little puffs of green fire. “I… I just want to be able to help, to do something!”

He hadn’t even realized he’d said that aloud, till he got a response back.

“Then maybe you can, all of that fire and all of that power and you just don’t know how to use it properly,” said a voice, and Spike’s eyes widened as he looked up. “You’re a great dragon, Spike. You can be an ever better one.”

“Prince- sorry Firelord?” Spike gasped as Ember stepped out of the shadows. In the back of his mind, alarm bells were ringing. She hadn’t said she was coming to Ponyville, they kept in touch.

Chrysalis was running around, posing as his friends and family. But… Maybe he should hear her out. Maybe this was Ember.

Changelings could only turn into ponies. Dragons were a different challenge entirely.

Yeah, this had to be her. Maybe she wanted to surprise him.

“Yeah, that’s my title. Don’t start wearing it out, wimp,” Ember said. “Anyways, I heard you moaning and mumbling to yourself. I doubt it was the good kind of moaning though I gotta admit walking in on you might be kinda nice! See what kind of thing you’re packing!”

Spike blushed, yeah this sounded exactly like Ember. Crass, and direct to the point.

“Anyways, found this in my nest,” Ember said, holding out a very familiar type of watch. “Didn’t look like a gem, and then I remembered you mentioning these things showing up all over. Didn’t know if I should even have it around, given I know a few dragons who’d love to usurp me with this kind of power.”

“Yeah, that makes sense…” Spike said, studying the watch. It wasn’t black, and nor did it display a monstrous twisted face like he’d been expecting it to.

“So I figured, I’d better get this to someone who might use it far more wisely than any of the idiots I’m surrounded by. Someone who wouldn’t go mad with power y’know?” Ember shrugged.

“Ryuki huh?” Spike said, studying the watch. “Right, well, I should get this to Tom. He’d like this.”

“Tom? The Rider guy? That bean sprout?” Ember asked, sounding like she was close to laughing. “What about you? Who says he has to be the only Rider around huh?”

Well, that admittedly sounded pretty tempting but he didn’t even have a driver…

“That’s just it, Tom’s the one with the driver. I don’t have one,” Spike pointed out.

“Maybe you don’t need one,” Ember shrugged. “Maybe you can use it raw y’know?”

“Ember, that kind of thinking…” Spike stammered out. “I’m not sure if I like it, that kind of thing’s resulted in Another Riders so far!”

“And you can become another Rider to help Tom fight them!” Ember pressed. “Or be a coward, live in regret at what you could have done but didn’t. Your choice right?”

“Well…” Spike mulled it over. Here was a solution to all of his problems. Maybe he could be the hero now.

And he, before he could stop himself, pressed the button.

And the Ridewatch let out a growl as dark energy rushed up Spike’s arm.

“RYUKI!”

The Ridewatch twisted and morphed, becoming darker and the face becoming twisted and monstrous.

And ‘Ember’ burnt away in a flash of green fire, Spike stumbling away down the street as Chrysalis laughed somewhere behind him…


Meanwhile, Tom sighed as he slumped down next to Fluttershy.

“You think I should have a talk with Spike? I’m honestly kinda getting worried y’know?” Tom said, waving his hand. “Like I don’t want to be impose but something’s obviously nagging at him.”

“I’m sure he’s fine, at worst he’s feeling just a bit jealous,” Fluttershy said kindly, patting his shoulder. “Like, suddenly you’re here and you’re new and suddenly he’s no longer the center of attention. Spike’s always had insecurity issues.”

“I know and that’s what worries me,” Tom said. “With Chrysalis running around, posing as your friends and family, she could easily make him into some sort of Another Rider. Hmm, maybe Ex-Aid or Faiz? I’m overdue on them.”

“Spike’s smart though,” Fluttershy pointed out. “He’d probably be able to see Chrysalis for who she is.”

“If you say so, but that’s not really my main worry,” Tom admitted and at this Fluttershy raised an eyebrow. “It’s that weird driver she was wearing in our last fight. Where’d she get it? It was mimicking Idunn’s powers, which is already a bad thing.”

“I didn’t see any of those Ridewatches in her belt, so she’s obviously not getting her powers from the same source as you,” Fluttershy noted in thought.

“Well, there goes that whole Cross of Fire thing,” Tom said. “I need to explain that to you sometime, I suppose. There’s so much about Riders you guys need to know.”

“Like Rider history lessons?”

“Eh, I suppose?” Tom shrugged. “But yeah, somewhere out there, someone is disturbing Rider powers right and left. Like where did Geiz get his Ridewatch? And where are all of these others coming from?”

“I’m sure you’ll find out, don’t worry,” Fluttershy said, putting a supportive arm around him in a half-hug.

“Yeah, it’s just the more I think about it, the more I don’t like it. Something weird’s going on and I hate not being in the know. Gaaaaaagh!” Tom said, before letting out a growl of frustration.

“Hey, you got this okay?” Fluttershy said firmly. “If anyone can figure out this mystery, it’s you okay?”

“Yeah, thanks…” Tom mumbled. “It’s just so many things are happening all at once and I’m starting to get overwhelmed, that’s all…”

“I know, and I’m scared too. Someone took the face of Discord, used it against me,” Fluttershy whispered, shaking slightly. “I’ve never been so scared in all of my life, than to see him with that face again and his eyes so full of evil…”

Now it was Tom’s turn to hug her.

“Next time I see that Bug-Bitch, I’ll make sure to kick her extra hard,” Tom said. “For you, okay?”

“Okay and…” Fluttershy stopped short.

“What, what is it?” Tom asked, urgently.

“Behind you, look,” the pegasus whispered nervously, and Tom turned to see a mirror rippling. Almost like, no it couldn’t have been.

The mirror, laying up against a tree, rippled some more and three monsters leaped out from it. One white as snow, and the other two crimson as blood.

“Wait, what? A sheerghost and two gelnewts?” Tom blinked, shocked before realizing he wasn’t alone. “Fluttershy, get to safety. I know you’re good with animals but these beasts… You just need to run to safety okay?”

“But-”

“Go!” Tom said, pulling out a Ridewatch and slotting it into his driver and then spinning it. “Henshin!”

“Rider Time! Kamen Rider Zi-O!”

Pulling out the Edge of Time, the rider quickly got to work. Slashing through all three monsters, he stood his ground before whirling on his feet kicking up dust into the air.

One of the gelnewts cartwheeled to the side, pulling its massive shuriken off its back. Tossing it, the giant weapon rushed through the air ready to slice and dice into Tom.

He could barely hold it back with his blade, only for the other gelnewt to jump and strike him with its weapon.

“Alright, see now you’re just trying to test my patience aren’t you?” Tom said, changing the blade to gun mode and slotting in the OOO Ridewatch. “Three beasts, to deal with three beasts. Fair is fair right?”

“Finish Time: OOO! Mile-a-minute Shooting!”

The gelnewts went down easily enough, but the sheerghost only staggered before it molted and evolved into a blue dragonfly-like form.

“Oh come on…” Tom muttered to himself in despair and resignation at the day he was starting to have. “It’s not even been one day between attacks, no rest for the wicked eh?”

And then the monster grew and became even more dragonfly-like. The Hydragoon as it was called was zipping around over his head and moving far too fast for him to lock on to it.

“Oh well, if I can’t shoot it down,” Tom muttered to himself, realizing what he had in mind was plenty crazy. “Here goes nothing!”

Running up a tree trunk, he pushed himself off it and leaped up onto the beast’s back. Hanging on for dear life, he tried to steer it to the timberline of the Everfree, hoping it’d crash between the trees.

But the beast pulled up, and then Tom’s gun fell from his hand and landed in the dirt below.

“Oh yeah, this was a real big brain moment for you wasn’t it?” Tom said to himself. And then he heard the most wonderful voice in the world.

“YOU! Stop right there!” Fluttershy shouted, rushing out of her house and staring the monster down. It shouldn’t have worked, but amazingly it somehow did and the beast was frozen in place and plummeting back to the earth.

Tom leaped off, and grabbed his sword before readying a finisher. “The end of your time is nigh.”

“Finish Time: OOO! Last Second Slash!”

And that was the end of that. The only question was, where did they come from?

---------

The Rich family manor was echoing with the sounds of angry beratement. Diamond Tiara, daughter of Filthy and Spoiled Rich and heiress to their fortune, had recently been on the receiving end of increasingly arbitrary and hurtful scolding from her mother, ever since she put her hoof down on her mother’s attitude in front of her classmates.

“...and how many times must I tell you to sit up straight!? Proper ladies do not slouch! How do you think you’re going to find a husband if your posture is so poor!” Spoiled ranted.

“...yes, Mother…” Diamond droned, trying to tune it out. Spoiled was having none of it and slammed her fist on the wall.

“You will listen and respond PROPERLY when I address you, Diamond Dazzle Dust Tiara!” The angry socialite commanded. The filly just whimpered and nodded.

Please...somepony...get me away from this!” Diamond prayed to herself, as her mother continued her aggressive chastisement. Unbeknownst to either mother or child, there was something moving in the myriad of mirrors and polished surfaces adorning the room. As it moved, the increasingly terrified Diamond Tiara noticed something moving out of the corner of her eye.

What? What is…” She thought before she felt a painful strike across her face from her mother.

“PAY ATTENTION!” Spoiled raged, her palm ready to strike again, but when she was about to, she felt a hand gripped around her wrist.

“WHAT!? WHO ARE YOU TO…” She started, but immediately stopped when she saw who was restraining her.

The being was a strange figure clad in red scaled armor, with a bizarre “visor” made of metal straps haphazardly wrapped around its face. Its left hand was shaped like the head of a dragon.

“ThOsE wHo HaRm ThEiR oWn ChIlDrEn ArE eViL.” The strange being spoke with a distorted voice. “I wIlL sHoW yOu ThE rEfLeCtIoN oF yOuR sInS.”

It dragged Spoiled close to one of the mirrors, but what she saw was not a reflection of her body, but a reflection showing her as a changeling.

“N...no! What is this!?” Spoiled panicked.

“YoU oNlY sHoW a PoSiTiVe ImAgE tO tHoSe YoU sEeK fAvOr FrOm...UnDeRnEaTh YoUr ArTiFiCiAl ApPeArAnCe, YoU aRe A mOnStEr…” the ‘changeling’ said, pointing at her.

Spoiled began wordlessly gasping, until her eyes rolled up and she fainted. The intruder simply released her arm, and she dropped to the floor.

Diamond just backed away, her gaze locked on the stranger in horror. She then turned and bolted.

“DAAAAAAAAAAADDDDYYYYYYYY!” She screamed, tears streaming down her face as she ran in fear.

Now you’d think that’d be the end of it right? Just a little thing for Diamond to tell her friends about over sleepovers, a lamp light horror story about her house probably being haunted.

No, no it wasn’t the end of it. There were more ponies who needed to be punished. Take the Flower Trio, sweet ponies but had a nasty tendency for starting the worst gossip and spreading some unfortunate rumors.

“...I heard that Mr. Cake is putting salt in some of his cakes instead of sugar!” Daisy started.

“Oh, get this! You know Rarity’s boutique? I heard that she’s been running low on silk and using burlap instead!” Lily added.

“Have you heard that Fluttershy has secretly been training her animals to become a private army?” Roseluck continued.

“DiD yOu KnOw ThAt SpReAdInG hArMfuL gOsSiP iS uNaCcEpTaBlE?” A distorted voice came from behind them. The trio slowly turned around to see the same scaly armored figure behind them. “It’s Not jUsT stIcKs aNd sTonEs!”

Roseluck heard her own voice, and the trio looked in a nearby puddle to see themselves dressed in black clothes, holding torches and proclaiming “BURN THE WITCHES!” The three stood there, trembling in fear.

“...hey girls, I heard a juicy bit of information! Running away from terrifying monsters will make sure you live longer!” Daisy said as they all ran away.

The monstrous figure stared at its clawed hand and flexed it.

“nO...nOt EnOuGh...ThErE’s StIlL eViL tO bE pUrGeD…” It balled its hand into a tight fist.

The beast crept around within the mirrors, overseeing any and all activity in the town. When it spotted something it deemed as “wrongdoing”, it sprang into action!

Whether it was greedy merchants overcharging for cherries…

“YoUr GrEeD wOuLd SiCkEn EvEn ThE wOrSt DrAgOnS!”

Or mailmares being careless and crashing into things...

“Do YoU eVeN cArE wHo GeTs HuRt!?”

Even children teasing each other would make the monster intervene!

“EvEn ThE cHiLdReN aRe GoInG dOwN tHe WrOnG pAtH…”

No one in the town was safe from this sinister surveillance!

Meanwhile, while all of this was happening, our concerned hero was rushing into town. He had a sneaking, ugly suspicion as to why those mirror monsters appeared in front of him.

He just hoped he was wrong...

“Spike! Where are you?” Tom called out. He was concerned for the young dragon, hoping he hadn’t gotten into any trouble.

As soon as he entered town, he knew something was immediately wrong. It was way too quiet. Now normally, the streets were packed with ponies and yet right now it was like a ghost town.

This wasn’t Ponyville, this was like Silent Hill or something. A chill ran down the back of his spine, eyes drifting towards any reflective surface he could see.

Creatures from another world moved about in a window, and Tom’s hand gripped the trigger of his gun. It’d take only a second to pull it out, shoot out the glass but what next?

Would other mirror monsters appear from another window, before he even had the chance to blink?

“Spike…” Tom said. “Oh, okay, yeah, this setup seems pretty familiar doesn’t it? I’ve played a few games with situations like this, Resident Evil, Alan Wake, you name it. Usually, it’s right about now that the monster appears.”

“So I’m a monster now, am I?” An annoyed young voice came from behind Tom. It was Spike.

“Ah, Spike, there you are. Listen, I was hoping to talk to you-” Tom started, but Spike held up his hand.

“Save it. I already have the answer I need.” Spike replied coldly. “You aren’t needed here anymore.”

Tom raised an eyebrow. “What are you talking about?”

Spike snorted angrily, smoke coming from his nostrils. “I know your game. You come in and start saving ponies left and right, and then all of a sudden you’re the talk of the town! And where does that leave me? Everyone will forget about me again...EVERYONE ALWAYS FORGETS ABOUT SPIKE!” He raged, as dark energy swarmed around him.

“Oh hell…” Tom said to himself, knowing that trying to reason with Spike by this point was probably futile but he had to try. “That’s just it, I’m just a guest in Celestia’s house. You live here, and besides hey you’re pretty memorable as it is. Friendly neighborhood dragon right?”

Spike’s eyebrow twitched. “Yeah...you are a guest...and you’ve OVERSTAYED YOUR WELCOME!!”

He pulled out his Anotherwatch and shoved it inside himself, the watch practically melting into his scales.

“RYUKI!”

He waved a hand as he transformed back into his ‘Rider’ form and two Hydragoons rushed out of two nearby windows, roaring.

“I didn’t want it to come to this… but if you’re hurting innocent people to try to escape your own sorrow, then I’ll stop you!” Tom proclaimed as he equipped his own Driver.

“HENSHIN!” Tom yelled as he placed his own watch in the belt and spun it.

“RIDER TIME!” The belt announced, as Tom rushed at Another Ryuki! “Kamen Rider: Zi-O!”

Another Ryuki just jumped backwards into a puddle.

“Freaking mirror powers…” He groaned as he scanned the area for any sign of the distorted dragon. But it was too late as Another Ryuki appeared behind him, flames erupting from his dragon's head.

“StRiKe VeNt!” A distorted voice announced as the beast launched a fireball from behind, hitting Zi-O!

“Gah!” He tried to keep himself upright. He then noticed that the backside of his suit was still on fire.

“Agh! Stop, drop, roll! Stop, drop, roll!” Zi-O feverishly rolled, chanting to himself. Picking himself up off the ground, he said: “Alright then, you want to play? Let’s play.”

Changing into Kiva Armor, he summoned the Dogga Hammer.

“I may not have the poisons of Purple Haze, but I don’t think I need them. I’m not going to ask how many years of bad luck I’m going to get for doing this, but,” here he took a swing with his hammer, shattering a window. “I’m pretty sure it’ll all even out.”

The Rider heard twin roars coming from above, and saw the Hydragoons flying towards him, and then heard another roar from behind.

“StRiKe VeNt!” A distorted voice announced and Tom leaped to the left as flames consumed one of the dragonfly-like monsters erupting into an explosion.

“StAy STilL!” Another Ryuki roared, leaping into another mirror and then jumping out of a puddle shoulder-checking Tom making the Rider roll along the ground.

The dragon head on his arm tried to bite into Tom’s armor with multiple jabs, only for Tom to kick the ‘Rider’ in the stomach making him stagger backwards. Flipping back onto his feet, the friendly neighborhood Kamen Rider summoned the Garulu Saber and then took a running jump off a nearby cart.

Letting out a war cry, the Rider cleaved the second Hydragoon right down the middle, the two halves igniting into explosions.

“And that’s the way the monster’s beaten.” He commented. As he was distracted though, the jaws of Another Ryuki’s dragon head arm latched onto his leg!

“AAAGH!” Zi-O shouted in pain, as he felt he was being dragged backwards! Another Ryuki was half-submerged in the mirror world, and was trying to drag Tom in there with him!

“Let...go! Let go!” Zi-O struggled, but it was of no use as the Rider and monster disappeared into the reflection.

From inside another window, another figure watched clutching his snake-tipped staff like a demented sorcerer.

“...well, it’s about time Little Miss Mothra’s plan paid off.” The purple-armored figure chuckled. “Time to see if the little snot has what it takes.”

Zi-O for his part was currently trying to carefully conceal himself from a mob of Mirror Monsters.

“Great… they get a whiff of fresh meat and go berserk. I’m not going to be dinner for a Mirror Monster!” He growled to himself.

He heard a chittering sound from above, and looked up only to see a massive spider creature ready to pounce. It was drooling at the sight of him.

“Okay I know some people are into spiders, but I’m pretty sure even the horniest person in the world would be turned off at the sight of you,” Tom said, leaping upwards to shoot the beast several times. “Now don’t get me wrong, you’re pretty, but I’m not into things who want to eat me alive.”

Pokemon this world wasn’t.

As he ran, Tom rambled a little just to try to keep from breaking down in a fit of terror.

“Honestly, this whole Mirror World feels like something from someone’s darker and edgier Pokemon fanfic. With the mons willing to eat you and all, if you don’t feed the often enough. Or is it Yu-Gi-Oh, with the cards and all?”

He finally found what he thought to be a safe haven, with no monsters in sight.

“Should be...safe here…” He panted. But he then felt something slithering around his leg!

“Honestly, this place is more like Digimon Tamers in the long run.” A new voice quipped as Tom found himself suspended upside down, hanging by his leg! Tom looked up, and swiftly regretted it, seeing the gleaming eyes of a sickeningly familiar cobra staring down at him.

“Soooooo, I’m going to take a wild guess and say Evolt?” Tom deadpanned, knowing very well who it was.

“Nah, never been one for coffee. I was always more for tea. Or chocolate milk. Though we’re still about to say ‘ciao!’ to you,” The evil-looking Rider taunted.

“Of course it’s Ouja… freaking Mirror World.” Tom sighed.

“In the flesh, so to speak! I’ll be taking autographs! Want one? Hey, just be glad it’s not Kaixa!” Ouja teased. “Seriously, even I think that guy’s a dick.”

Zi-O tried to grasp at the snake holding him up, but it just loudly hissed at him.

“When I get down from here, I’m going to make you into a wallet!” Zi-O threatened.

“Ooooooh, I’m sooooo scared!” Ouja teased. “But, I think someone else deserves to take a few whacks at you. Honestly, I’m not the one with a problem with you, that’s Battra-Bitch and, let’s see.... oh yeah, this guy.”

As if on cue, Another Ryuki appeared, brandishing a large, curved sword.

This isn’t good! If I can’t get down, I’m going to be pinata’d to death!”

Another Ryuki slowly advanced towards Tom, clutching his sword tighter and tighter.

“Any last words, watch boy?” Ouja asked tauntingly.

“Spike...please, don’t do this!” Tom pleaded. “You’re not a monster!”

“I’m tHe OnLy OnE tHeY nEeD! NoT yOu!” Another Ryuki growled.

But, as it looked like Tom was about to be butchered, they heard some familiar voices.

“...where are they? Spike? Tom?” They heard Twilight’s voice calling out for them.

“...TwIlIghT…?” The distorted ‘Rider’ paused.

“Come on, dragon-breath! Finish him! It’s the only way!” Ouja egged Spike on.

“...I do hope that nothing bad has happened to them…” Now it was Rarity’s voice. “I couldn’t bear to live with myself if either of them got hurt!”

“Me neither, Rarity,” Twilight replied. “But I know Spike, he’ll be trying to help Tom, every step of the way! He’s the best little dragon brother I could ask for!”

“Yes, and I’m sure Tom would be looking out for him as well,” Rarity continued.

“...tWiLiGhT...rArItY…” Another Ryuki stopped moving.

“Oh come on! They don’t mean any of that garbage!” Ouja interrupted. “They’re just using you!”

“No...ThIs...iSn’T...what...I...WANTED!” Spike yelled out, as he hit Venosnaker with his sword, causing it to drop Tom. Tom fell on his face, but got back up swiftly, shaking his head. Another Ryuki then held his arms out to his sides.

“ToM...pLeAsE…” The monster droned.

“No! Think about what you’re giving up, you stupid dragon!” Ouja barked.

“I think he’s made his decision, Ouja,” Tom responded. “And so have I!”

He spun his belt around.

“FINISH TIME!” A series of neon pink Japanese words surrounded Another Ryuki, as he leapt into the air.

Ouja could only watch as the watch-esque Rider delivered a powerful finishing kick to Another Ryuki, separating the dragonling from the watch and spitting the two of them out of the Mirror World!

“Ugh,” Ouja groaned. “Another failed experiment. Still, I’m plenty pissed and there’s a Rider to kill.”

“T-Tom?” Spike asked. “Did I… Oh Celestia, I did didn’t I?”

“Oh barf. You apologize, you hug, we’ve seen it all before. Spare me the theatrics, you little brat,” Ouja reappeared before them, dragging his sword behind him and scraping it along the ground. Tom struggled to get to his feet.

“Figured… you wouldn’t just… leave…” Tom wheezed.

“Now, a continuation from before…” Ouja said, his sword ready to strike.

Vague memories flashed through Spike’s mind, he’d teamed up with this monster. And Tom was struggling to get to his feet.

Without even thinking, flames erupted from his mouth blasting Ouja backwards, and shattering a mirror. Sadly, the Rider hadn’t fallen through the reflection and was still in his world.

“You little brat!” Ouja growled. “I’m gonna skin you and sell your scales to a blacksmith!”

“No...you’re not!” Tom got back to his feet. “You’re going to bear the weight of your sins- ALL OF THEM!”

He produced the W Ridewatch, and activated it.

“W!” The watch announced as Tom inserted it into his belt and spun it.

“ARMOR TIME!” the belt announced.

“CYCLONE! JOKER! W!~!” It sang as a pair of small USB-like sticks latched onto his shoulders, and covered him in two different half-colors of armor! The right half was an emerald color with the “C” stick on its right shoulder, while the left half was a black/purple combo with the “J” stick.

“Honestly I don’t know who you are, so I don’t know how many sins you’re going to have to count up, but you made my friend cry. You made this town cry,” Tom said. “And that’s something I can’t forgive.”

“I have way too many to count up, kiddo!” Ouja sneered as swords met. The two dueled briefly before another leaped in to join them.

“Two against one is hardly fair,” said Geiz, clad in armor resembling Kamen Rider Knight, cape flowing behind him. “Good thing I hate a fair fight!”

“Eh?” Tom asked, in surprise.

“You look tired, can you even keep up with me?” Geiz asked.

“...I wouldn’t call myself a Kamen Rider if I wasn’t!” Tom replied. “Come on then!”

Geiz pressed the button on the KnightWatch in his belt a couple times.

“ADVENT TIME!” The watch announced as a giant bat appeared, Geiz leaping up on top of it. The bat swooped down at Ouja at incredible speed, knocking him to the ground.

“Bah! This vexes me. This fight’s getting way too batty for my liking!” Ouja grunted. “You can keep your stupid dragon friend!”

At this, he re-summoned his staff and put a card in.

“Clear Vent!” The staff announced as Ouja disappeared before their eyes.

“Tch! He ran away.” Geiz spat as the bat creature landed, disappearing after Geiz got off it.

“Uh...thanks for your h-” Tom started, but Geiz just walked past him and picked up the RyukiWatch. He looked it over.

“...nah, I don’t have use for this one,” He said, tossing it to Tom before turning and walking away.

“Hey! Wait, where are you going!?” Tom asked.

“I don’t need to be here right now,” Geiz bluntly said. “Nor do I really want to.”

He walked off, leaving Tom and Spike to ponder. Meanwhile, in a secluded area, Ouja confronted Chrysalis.

“So, it looks like your little experiment was a bust too!” The changeling queen taunted.

“Shut your mouth, Idunn!” Ouja growled back. “For your information, this ‘failed’ experiment provided me with some very interesting insight.”

“Hm… I guess as we were using Twilight’s friends as guinea pigs, that’s why the brat was able to catch on so quickly…” Idunn noted.

“So, pick someone Sparkle-butt might not notice, huh?” They pondered, with Idunn grinning at a realization...

“Game on.”


“I was an idiot, wasn’t I?” Spike said, slumping up against the crystal walls of Twilight’s castle. “Like you don’t even need to say it, do you?”

Neither Tom or Twilight could think of anything to say. Spike’s insecurities and fears led him to being turned into a monster. But, even then, neither of them could really say it was his fault.

So what could they say?

“It’s just… I wanted to be useful, like I wanted to be the hero for once,” Spike continued. “I wanted to be a hero. I didn’t… I just didn’t want to fade into the background.”

Tom sat down next to him. “You weren’t. All I said before, all of it was true. I’m just a guest here in Ponyville, you’re the one they really love.”

“Are you sure?” Spike asked. “I’ve seen you, when you’re out in town. Everyone waves at you and-”

“And they’re doing it because it’s Ponyville, everyone knows everyone and everyone’s friendly to everyone,” Tom said, a supportive arm around Spike’s shoulder. “They’re not just going to forget about you.”

“He’s right, Spike. You’re part of our town, and a part of our lives, no matter what,” Twilight reassured. “You’re my little brother.”

“...I am, aren’t I?” Spike’s voice gained a bit more energy. The Rider and pony just nodded.

“...thanks, you two.” Spike smiled.

A bit later, Spike was sleeping, the day’s events having taken a toll on him. Tom, too, would have been sleeping, but a thought was racing in his head that prevented such.

I am a guest here… someday, I may very well have to leave. But...do I really want to?”

The thought simmered down, as Tom drifted off into the peace of sleep and Luna’s night…

SeE YoU NexT GaMe...

Author's Note:

Special thanks to The Bricklayer for helping to get this chapter out!