• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 4,287 Views, 117 Comments

Aegis Shield's Scrap File - Aegis Shield



A Lunar Stallion who writes for fun leaves behind his scrapped stories.

  • ...
14
 117
 4,287

My Fire My Flame

My Fire My Flame

Celestia took a quick survey of her packing suitcase, folding her wings. Travel snack? Check. Nightie? Check. Change of royal garb? Check. Smiling and nodding at the tiny bag, she actually had room for a book to fit in there. Plucking one at random off her shelf, she tutted for Quick Quill’s attention. The grey mare in question stopped her schedule-scribbling and smiled radiantly. She was one of the few. The few in the know about where she was really going.

The public story was that Celestia had a private cabin, hidden and invisible somewhere on Mount Canterlot outside the city. Many a scrappy group of young colts had stayed out after dark to look for it, but none had ever found it. If they’d known what was really happening, it would’ve rocked their little worlds. Perhaps half a dozen ponies knew of Celestia’s true sabbatical destination: Luna, Quick Quill, her two chariot guards, Cadance, and Twili—well actually no, she’d not told Twilight where she was going. She considered her image in the mirror for a moment, then ran a quick brush through it. “I’m ready to go now, I think,”

“Yes, Princess,” Quick Quill tittered, smiling. The two walked side-by-side down the article-filled hallways of Castle Friendship. The tapestries waved lazily in the summer breeze, for all the windows were open to embrace it and circulate the air.

“Ah, Twilight! There you are,” Celestia set her bag next to herself.

Twilight looked up from her book. She’d made a little reading corner in the main hall incase anypony should come knocking and she not hear them. The castle was rather large, after all, and she had no servants. “All set to go on vacation, Princess?” She stood and offered her a hug. Celestia nodded and embraced her. “I think it’s great to see you take some time to relax. I bet the cabin is nice and quiet!”

Celestia decided to drop the bomb right then. “I’m sure my husband will be pleased to see me, but I’m not going to a cabin.” There was a resonating silence. The white alicorn could almost hear Twilight’s jaw clicking as it snapped open in shock.

“H… Husband?”

“Yes. My husband, Solaris,” Celestia gestured to the nearest window. Twilight whipped around like a shadowy stallion might be standing right there, pressing his nose on the glass to peer in at them. Quick Quill giggled despite herself and Celestia smiled. “A bit higher, Twilight.” Excitement gripping her to meet Celestia’s never-spoken-of-before companion, Twilight’s neck bones POPPLED to check the clouds. A Pegasus maybe?! What handsome creature had drawn the attention of she who moved the sun? She had to know! But… she saw nopony. “You really should stop hunching over your books, Twilight, it hurts your neck and back,” Celestia tutted.

“I don’t see anypony!” Twilight complained, eyes wide. “Your husband is here to pick you up?! Where? I wanna meet him!” The purple mare was squeeing in delight. In all the years she’d known Celestia; teacher, mother figure, mentor, now equal Princess, she’d never even MENTIONED she was married!

“The sun,” Celestia gestured with a smile. She reached to stop Twilight before she screwed up her eyes and stared straight into the heavenly orb and blinded herself. “Hee hee!” the white alicorn shaded her with her wings. “I meant, he is the sun.”

Twilight turned slowly, staring at her. “Wait, what? The sun? The sun is your husband?”

“Yes,” Celestia nodded merrily. “He watches over us all, every day.”

Twilight deflated. “Oh, y-you mean you’re going to go get some peace and quiet by vacationing on the sun?” she cocked her head. “I guess if you wanted privacy that’s a heck of a place to go!” She made a go-getter motion with her arm.

Celestia smiled patiently, “No no, I mean it. Do you remember the old pony tongue for ‘sun’, Twilight? Sol. He only recently became ‘sun’ in the past few hundred years when ponies decided that the sun was a star.” She shook her head with a smile.

“Well that’s… astronomy,” Twilight didn’t understand.

“Remember when you ascended to becoming an alicorn, Twilight?” Celestia stopped to check the ties of her bag and they started walking toward the nearest balcony. The purple mare nodded. “What do you suppose happens when an alicorn ascends?”

“Wh… what?” Twilight said, her brow knitting. “That’s impossible! The highest form of magic in the world is alicorn magic, it goes no higher!”

“Partially true,” Celestia nodded and Quick Quill fished out a golden scroll for her. She unfurled it. “If Solaris had remained in Equestria, or anywhere on the planet for that matter, his presence alone would’ve reduced this place to lifeless rubble. He’s… potent,” was the word she decided on. “Now I must away. Luna is taking care of things in Canterlot. Could you make sure Quick Quill gets home safely?”

“I… I… yes,” Twilight said numbly, her head spinning at the idea of not only a male alicorn, but an ascended one. Not only an ascended one, but one so powerful it wasn’t safe for him to live on Equis! She felt a little dizzy.

Clearing her throat a bit, Celestia stepped away to the edge of the balcony. Quick Quill backed up beyond the threshold, and Twilight followed to watch. Celestia’s assistant offered her dark sun glasses, and she took them. When both had donned their protective eyewear, the white alicorn began to recite from the scroll.

Without sound or ceremony a column of light LANCED down from the heavens, enveloped her and she was gone. There was no mark, no melting, no burning, the solar princess had simply vanished. There was a long silence. “She’s gonna be gone for about a week, I think,” Quick Quill said when the light show had finished, putting both pairs of sunglasses away.

“What’s she going to do up there for a week?” Twilight wondered, slowly sitting on her trembling haunches. The sun was a male alicorn? Since when?! Since always? How had they met?! Had he always been there? Was Celestia moving her husband about the sky every day?! A million questions spun through her mind and she wavered on the spot for a bit.

“Well,” Quick Quill’s cheeks were a bit pink, “If I only saw my husband for a week every couple of months or so, I know what I’D be doing…” she trailed off with a sideways smile.

Princess Twilight had the decency to blush, looking skyward. “O-oh. Right.”

Author's Note:

Feel free to steal this one, you guys. I'd love to see the idea fleshed out by someone else. :)

Comments ( 3 )

Man, this looks like a very interesting story. Any reason why it wasn't written?

Damn! That one ROCKS!!! Well done, Aegis!

Login or register to comment