• Published 24th Sep 2018
  • 1,957 Views, 39 Comments

Dear Friends - B_25



It hasn't been long since Twilight and Spike moved into town. Spike doesn't feel close to the girls, and because of this, writes each of them a letter—hoping to invite them to his party.

  • ...
11
 39
 1,957

The Party

Spike wasn't sure what to expect when he sent out those letters out, and regardless of what they were, reality had proven itself far better.

"Hey-ya, Applejack!" Spike exclaimed with a wave of a claw, coming to a stop before a wooden basket filled with water.

A second later, an orange head emerged from the surface of the water, teal eyes blinking at him.

Applejack smiled at him with an apple in her mouth, turning to spit it out into a smaller bucket.

"While I'll be," Applejack began to say as she turned back around, "ya sure know how to throw a party. Ya even got a bucket deep enough to play bobbing for apples properly."

"What can I say? I know how to plan my stuff." Spike wiped a claw against his chest, inspecting them afterward. "We still on for tomorrow?"

"You can bet your tail on it." Spike would have kept admiring his claw were it not for the pull of his friend's arm, which tugged him into a hug. "You're mighty good at keeping everything organized on the farm. The thing would dang near fall apart if it weren't for your help."

Spike wasn't sure how to respond at first, so he pushed himself further into the hug, feeling her fur rub against his face. "I... you don't..." A sniffle. "Th-thank you."

"Nothing to be thankful for, hun." Applejack rubbed his head one last time before glancing at the rest of the lobby. "But now ya got other ponies to tend to. Don't wanna be a bad host now, do ya?"

Spike shook his head as he stepped away from the mare, looking up at her with watery eyes. She was blurry now, though still very much there.

He turned around to face the other mares in the lobby, all the other friends that came to visit him. They were all blurry too, but he could see the images, the idea of them—all huddled together, all talking and laughing, playing and having fun.

Spike wanted to be a part of that too, and so, he walked in their direction—until a knocking from the library's door stopped him.

He stood still, one eye set on his friends, the other on the door. He was so close now to being with them. But someone was at the door.

He'd agree that was his responsibility to watch over the library—that was the condition set by Twilight for him to have his party.

And so, he honored his side of the deal, and with a sigh, began toward the door. With a sharp click, it unlocked and swung back to reveal a gray pegasus standing outside.


"Spike the Dragon?"

Spike nodded. "Uh, yeah?"

"Letter for you!" the pegasus said, dipping a wing into her satchel and pulling out a letter. She held it out to his open claw. "Last one too!"

Spike took the letter, and using his claw, tore off the envelop.

"The last one was my last one, but Rarity was asking me if I could do her a favor, and I said okay!" the mare contained as the drake read the letter. "She had all of her friends over and asked me: 'Depry dear if it's not too much to ask, can you deliver this letter from Twilight to Spike?'"

Spike claw dropped to his side, nearly dropping his letter as he did so.

"She asked me to peek inside..." Spike looked over his shoulder at the same time Depry peered into the lobby, both sighing for different reasons. "Though it looks empty!" She smiled down at him. "Must be nice to have the library all to yourself."

"You'd think that would be the case," Spike said, looking down. "But to be honest, I'd rather be at the slumber party."

"Slumber party?"

"Yeah, Rarity's having one right now at her boutique." Spike lifted his head. "She begged me to watch over the library while she threw an all-girls slumber party."

Spike held out the letter. "This was just Twilight thanking me for surprising her... and to make sure I hadn't set anything on fire."

Depry read the note in front of her. "Hmm."

Spike stood around and did nothing. There wasn't much for him do—except for taking down all the streamers and dumping the basket of water and apples outside.

"It says here you could invite some friends over!" Derpy said, tapping a hoof against the page. "Why don't you try doing that? Don't want all those decorations going to waste, do you?"

"That's the problem," Spike replied, "I don't have any friends. I have Twilight's friends, and I tried making them my friends, but it never worked out in the end."

"Have you tried making new friends?"

"N-no." Spike finally let the paper slip through his digits. "Didn't think I'd have to. I was around the girls so long... and I thought... that..."

"Hey, its okay, I understand!" Depry said, wrapping an arm around the small dragon. "I have a lot of friends too! The kind where you spend a lot of time with them, but you're not that close."

Spike sniffled at that.

"You should be proud in trying to bridge the gap, but at the same time, you should try to find ponies that enjoy spending time with you."

Spike nodded his head, wrapping his stubby arms around her barrel. "So go out and make new friends then? But that sounds... scary."

"Because it is." Depry pulled out of the hug, smiling. "You're putting yourself out there with the intent of ponies like you, and they can end up doing the opposite."

Spike frowned. "Is it even worth trying to make friends?"

"Of course it is," Derpy replied. "The pain of rejection hurts less than the pain of loneliness. And this, Spike, I promise you: there are ponies out there that want to be your friend, even if only they don't have friends themselves."

Spike chuckled. "Others who are equally as pathetic, huh?" He nodded. "I guess I'll take that then. Thanks, Derpy."

"Not a problem kiddo."

She went to leave but felt a tugging at her tail. Looking over her shoulder, Spike was standing with his legs crossed.

"Don't suppose you're lonely enough to come to a party?"

Derpy was still for a moment, then giggled. "That depends."

"On what?" Spike let go of her tail.

"Just one thing." Derpy turned around and stepped inside the treehouse. "Does that basket have apples in them?"

Author's Note:

I was at work not working.

I am due to a long trip on my bike, and such, was sending out messages to friends, family, and even a few strangers. During these messages, the way how I talked and interacted with certain people brought about massive cognitive dissoance—in that weird state, I wrote this piece of doo-doo on my phone.

And that was all.

Comments ( 35 )

I liked this, it was a bit sad but had a happy ending. Good story.

Right in the Feels!?

JackRipper
Moderator

Spike doesn't feel close to the girls, and because of this, writes each of them a latter—hoping to invite them to his party.

*letter

This was a really great story. I enjoyed the read alot and found the message tied to it to be very fitting for this day and age where people just don't out myxh effort into finding friends anymore

9191470
Laziness consumes me

Aside from some mistakes,(though honestly we could chalk it up to Spike just making flubs in the letters. And it WAS written on a phone.) It was really heart touching.:twilightsmile:

This was actually a rather impressive lil' story. The letters each building up to a grand finale that ended up where Spike normally ends up. Though seeing Derpy being the 'friend' and relating with Spike was a great surprise that was most pleasant to read.

I must say I liked how you had Spike try to write letters in ways that, to him, would most appeal to each pony. You certainly captured his desire to be thoughtful of others in his actions. He does try very hard to fit in and make pals.

I like the way you bring the characters to life prior Princess twilight's time. It's a wonderful throwback.

Damn dude. i hated Twilight on this fiction, sorry dude, while I enjoyed the concept of the idea of Spike starting a friendship with Ditzy, I think it wasn't your best fiction, I'm disappointed with the characters.

9191586
Hard to say if the characterization was done right when we barely get to see anyone besides Spike and Derpy. Considering Spike hardly gets any attention or appreciation from the Main 6, It'd be better if he went out and actually made friends that appreciated him. Not a bad lesson, and can probably hit folks in the feels who are in a similar situation. It kinda sucks to try and join a group of friends by association, and be 'welcomed' yet ignored and pushed off to the side.

9191498
You know it would be better to have Spike go out to places outside either Ponyville or Canterlot and find himself better friends than the main six.

9191702
Well Applejack was had an interaction with Spike. And she just didn't tell him, neither of the mane six considered that. Not even Twilight who was a total jerk in these chapters. I think Spike shouldn't think her as a friend after that.

9191757
Was that an actual interaction? I thought it was Spike imagining having everyone over, but Derpy broke the illusion when she commented that the library was in fact empty.

Good doo doo.

9191773
Hum... I thought about that as well. However what I'm really pissed off is... Why even Twilight leave Spike alone? She is not his friend. She left him alone in his birthday and she bossed him a lot.

9192305
Yeah, that's what stories like these are kinda meant to highlight and maybe exaggerate to an extent. For a baby dragon, he really doesn't have someone who acts like a maternal figure, and gets left behind all the time. Hell, first episode Spike gets dropped to distract Fluttershy from conversing any further. Any mother who did the same thing, arrested for child endangerment probably.

9192364
you've given me an idea

9193220
A one shot where twilight goes on trial and to jail for child abuse?

9193236
I don't know about that shit, but the idea of him not having a strong parental figure sticks in mind.

This is a good story, but I really feel like it needs a Sad tag. It really hits it in the old breadbasket when none of the individuals he sends letters to comes to his party.

9193313
sad ruins the surprise!

9193327 You should still label stories with the most appropriate tag. That's what the tag is there for.

9193302
Sucks doesn't it? You try to be there and be a part of the group and contribute, but after a while you realize your efforts are never reciprocated or really even appreciated. Then you realize you could just ghost the group and probably not be missed, and once you do... Not a single person from that group reaches out or even sends you a casual hello, validating your assumption.

It hurts, to realize all that time was wasted for folks who don't appreciate you. I've seen many a depression stem from that.

9193370
sum of my life until recently.

just comes down to finding better friends, or on the flip side, improving yourself.

9193374
Improving yourself is always a good idea, if nothing else you can build more confidence and handle the periods of solidarity a bit easier.

But meeting new friends, depends on where you're at in life. Once you're out of school and college, it can become a pretty major hurdle to contend with unfortunately.

when he sent out those letters out

There are lots of redundancies like that, and where the same word appears in rapid succession.

"Does that basket have apples in them?"

Double checking, there is only one basket, which should probably be a barrel instead of an actual basket. There are watertight baskets, but if the point was to bob for apples as a game then it would need to be large enough to miss, but I've never seen a watertight basket that big.

If I understand this correctly, Spike planned his party when he knew Rarity was having her party - that's too stupid for Spike to have done on purpose, because he is the secretary for possibly the most schedule oriented pony that has ever lived. Secondly, if somehow their was a scheduling conflict, he would have moved his party instead of trying to force every pony to "pick sides". He might be a young dragon, but again he's not that stupid. Thirdly, why would Rarity have an all-girls slumber party? Ponies don't normally wear clothes so anything biological, other than a specifically lesbian orgy, is off the table. Also, there is one stallion to every ten mares; pony society would be dominated by feminine interests anyway, that is assuming ponies have interests weighted by gender, so aside from said orgy, what could they be doing that would be so uninteresting to the point of being off-putting to male ponies and presumably dragons? (And yes, I presume that males would not be invite for their benefit and not the benefit of the mares, because it's not like they have anything to hide) Lastly, presuming that there is a reason for the previous question, why would Spike feel so left out when he is invited to other events they have as a group?

9193803
It's mentioned that it's a surprise party sprung about at the last mintue—so Spike didn't know until after the fact. In this case, it's one event being deemed more important than other that shows whom his friends value more. Second, girls are still girls regardless of clothes: they'd rather just keep it an all-girls party with no little brother in the mix. Your point here is rather silly.

And third, this story operates on its own canon—it works under the assumption that Spike is not close to the girls despite being invited everywhere. He's tagging along instead of being wanted. He tries to change that but fails, hence the need to move on to new friends.

Scrublord.

9194279

it's one event being deemed more important than other that shows whom his friends value more.

If this story was long enough to show that it is part of some alternate history or even stated as such in the description, that might have some credence, however, everything within it seems to be in line with the show except that in the show, the question of whether Spike was appreciated or not was already answered that yes he is, so you wrote a short story that hinges on a question that was already answered opposite of what you wrote. It’s annoying because you didn’t take it anywhere past the obvious “it would be bad” ending.

Second, girls are still girls

They are female, that is true, but they are not human girls living in an American/Canadian society. Your assumption is that girl/boys only parties are normal in every intelligent species. I have absolutely no reason to believe that.

they'd rather just keep it an all-girls party with no little brother in the mix.

It is true that Spike is physically younger than Twilight, however they are on the same intellectual level, and if you accept every episode as having equal value, Spike has shown that he is sometimes more mature than any other character.

this story operates on its own canon

As I said above, the show itself has had a few episodes devoted to showing that Spike is respected and appreciated by the mane six as well as other ponies. If you are going to pretend none of that has happened, you have to write enough backstory to convince the reader that this is a different universe. Show the reader where he was snubbed before. Show the reader that none of the other ponies care about him. Show the reader his desperation for friends during all of these points. If you want to write a story that contradicts the relationships that have been in place for 195 twenty-two minute episodes, you owe your readers a story that shows that makes the reader believe that Spike being unloved by Twilght et al was ever possible.

9194932
1. Scope

You're wanting this fic to be something more than its intent. If I wanted to create a moral argument for why Spike is feeling left out by the girls, then I would need to create scenes where he doesn't quite fit in during events. He'd talk to girls and have conversations that would fall through—bascially every example to SHOW why he doesn't fit in as well as the reasons behind it.

But that isn't the story. This is a tale written on a phone about a kid that changes the way how he talks to try and win over ponies that aren't quite his friends. Nothing more or nothing less. To do more is to change the whole premise and scope—the thing you take issue with for whatever reason.

2. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Bruh. C'mon. These ponies are still girls. Girls experience things different from guys, and such, would sometimes just like the party to be amongst themselves to discuss things that are still privy to the act of being a girl. Paring is a cannon on the show, so the act of having a crush on a stallion is still viable—something that wouldn't be the case at an all girl's party. There are better reasons to defend this point, but this one suffices in illustrating why a girl would want an all girl's party.

3. Spike is Equal

No shit, Sherlock. This isn't about facts; this is about feelings. From the context of the story, Spike feels left out. It doesn't matter if he actually IS, only what he FEELS. That's what the story operates off. It could be said he's not as close to the girls despite being the same age and intelligence or whatever, but that doesn't change the fact that he doesn't feel like he fits in.

4. Once again, SCOPE

You demand something that never was. You're asking this story to be more than what it is to fulfill a bigger and better scope—something that would have taken longer to write on a cell phone. Even without that, you're wrong in this case, because the show can show them close (and in Spike's case, not as close as he wants to be)

The whole point is that Spike feels left out and THAT'S what the story goes off.

Round 2. I win again.

Your move, Jack.

I loved the story the ending was a unexpected leg twist but it bounced back with the feels

I loved the first chapter but the second chapter confused me. Did he just imagine the girls being at the library or something? The rest of the story treats it like he was alone.

Is there sequel to this?

9564961
Naaah.

But thank you for reading, tho!

9564968
Well damn it would have made for a good sequel

9196810
Damn, if you put it like that... boy, how awful.

This isn't right, it's far from right.

And for the author: I love it, the feeling of having acquaintances by association is palpable.

Login or register to comment