• ...
35
 876
 7,413

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 42.

Cassiel POV

I have no idea when I even reached a bed. I woke up and felt even worse than before I pulled that stunt. I wasn't dizzy anymore, but the pain got a little worse. It took a bit of effort to sit up and examine my surroundings. Not much to take note of, though Blake was near the bed, sleeping, Lionheart leaning against her chair. I decided to just lay back down and try to go back to sleep. As I was about to do so, a voice spoke into the loud speaker, the captain I'm assuming.

"Alright folks, we'll be landing in Menagerie shortly. Please make sure you have all your belongings before getting off the ship. Thank you." He said, waking Blake up. She carried Lionheart to the bed as she practically jumped out of her chair towards me.

"Are you alright?" She asked. "You lost consciousness halfway to the room!" Ooohhh, that's why I don't remember reaching a bed.

"I still hurt all over, some pain killers would be nice." She put a hand on my shoulder.

"There should be some in the infirmary, it's along the way, they might have some. Do you need some help?" I grabbed Lionheart and tried to get out of the bed. It was a little harder than before, but I could still do it, though I still needed to use Lionheart to balance myself and get around.

"I think I'll be fine, if a little slow." I followed her out of the room, there were railings to grab on to so it was a little easier. A few people thanked us along the way, I mostly ignored them. The infirmary wasn't far from the stairs to the deck, Blake made sure I wasn't far behind before going in. Not even 5 seconds later, she had a small bottle. "That was fast." I commented.

"She already had it ready, this is enough for a day, I'm sure there'll be more back home if you need it." She handed me the bottle. 2 every 4 hours, no more than 6 in 24 hours. I followed her above deck and I could easily see the port.

(Concept art)

"Looks pretty lively from here, if a bit crowded." I said as the ship landed. Looks like the port doubles as a market. Faunus are everywhere, can't tell if there are any humans though, especially since some can easily hide it like Blake.

"Yes. Yes, it is." She said, sadly. I should probably pay more attention to her ears I though as they shifted forward. We got off the ship and climbed the stairs at the other end of the port. About halfway down the street, passing by a Faunus carrying a box, I decided to try some small talk.

"I don't remember our classes going over Menagerie much, what can you tell me?" I asked.

"The Faunus received it after the war. It's a place for all Faunus to call home, or rather, that's what humanity would have us believe. 2/3 of the island being a desert is one of the reasons why their so called 'gift' felt more like an attempt to shut us up." She answered, clenching her fist.

"I'm guessing the desert isn't exactly friendly?" This place is basically Remnant's version of Australia, isn't it?

"That's putting it lightly. Humanity actually tried to confine us here and take away the equal rights given to us after the war." She said, irritated.

"And it's because of ignorance and conceit like this that I value the life of the cockroach more than humans that I have no personal attachment to. Doesn't help that the name itself is an insult to an entire race simply for being born."

"Despite everything, we try to make the best of things." She said as we climbed some more stairs, a view of the settlement being enough to get a general idea of the layout of her home.

"Not a bad view."

"This is Kuo Kuana."

"Why did you leave all this?" I asked her. "I can think of several reasons why, but I'd like to hear it from you."

"It's because instead of being treated as equals, we were instead given an island no one wanted and told to make do." She started to explain. "We've done the best we could, but it's all a reminder that we're still not equal." She turned away a little and looked down. "I left because I hoped to make a difference in the White Fang, but obviously that didn't work out."

"Not sure how to respond to that. Changing subjects, if you can see it, which home is yours?" She took my hand and pointed to the large one in the middle.

"That one."

"... Okay, I don't know how to respond to that either. Well, may as well get going." We continued down the hill, after a while I needed a short break. I hadn't taken the pills yet so the pain was slowing me down a bit. Once I felt up to it again, we reached her home. As she was about to grab the torc to knock, she hesitated. "Something wrong?" I asked.

"I, um... It's just been a long time since I've seen my parents." She sounded like she regrets her last interaction with her parents.

"I guess we're on the same boat, even if the 'how' and 'why' are different. I'm right here if you need me." She knocked and took a step back. A few seconds later, it was opened by someone who I'm assuming is her mother. Cat ears aside, I can definitely see the resemblance.

Upon seeing Blake, her eyes widened, shock evident on her face.

"Blake?" She said.

"Hi, mom." Blake sounded like she was expecting a negative reaction, her ears down. Her mother stepped toward Blake and wrapped her arms around Blake, smiling with her eyes closed as she hugged her.

"Oh, my baby girl." Blake seemed shocked at her mother's reaction, but returned the hug a few seconds later.

"Kali, who is it?" A man from inside asked.


(Ghira Belladonna)

He looks like he could rip me in two right now. It's a good thing I'm still wearing the mask, or else he'd see "I'm keeping a minimum safe distance of out of your reach and behind your daughter" on my face. He was more focused though on Blake's return than me thankfully. They brought us inside as they did what any parent would probably do if their child was returning under similar circumstances. They had already prepared some tea and set it down on a table low enough to the ground that the only thing separating you from the floor is a cushion. I needed some help sitting that low. I took 2 pills as Kali poured everyone's tea.

"We were horrified when we heard the news. The Kingdom of Vale wasn't perfect, but it certainly didn't deserve what happened. *sigh* We were both so worried." Kali said.

"Please, I knew she'd be fine!" Ghira chuckled.

"That isn't the slightest bit true." Kali scoffed. "You should have seen him pacing."

"Oh trust me, the ones responsible are worse off, I made sure of that." I said, darkly.

"Let's not dwell on the past." Ghira said before turning to me. "So what is your affiliation with my daughter?" He asked. I lifted my mask enough to drink the tea.

"Same team, she taught me how to use aura, helped me unlock my Semblance, I'd say she's my closest friend from Beacon. Of all the places I could have gone, Atlas was a definite 'no', not interested in the deserts of Vacuo, I would've just gotten in the way of another teammate if I joined her on the way to Haven, same for the one reason I had to stay in Patch until she moved on, and Beacon is out for the foreseeable future." I left out a few things, let Blake decide when to pull the pin from that grenade.

"So you joined Blake instead." He looks like he's trying to look into my soul... Good luck with that.

*loud bang*

"Darn it, I completely forgot about the meeting!" He said as he slammed his hand onto the table.

"Ghira..." Kali placed her hand on his to soothe him.

"Give me a moment." He stood up and walked towards the front door.

"Is everything okay?" Blake asked Kali.

"Yes, dear, just poor timing. He can reschedule." She answered. "It's just been hard dealing with them lately."

"Dealing with who?" Blake asked, concerned.

"Mm?" Kali was drinking her tea. "The White Fang."

"What??!!" Blake immediately stood up.
"Who am I shooting??!!" I shouted as I used a powerful flap of Nightfall's wingblades to lift myself up. I moved as quickly as I could toward the front door, Blake ran ahead of me.

"Dad!"

"Blake, what's wrong?" He turned around, stepping to the side to show 2 Faunus dressed like they're members of a cult.

"Miss Belladonna." The one on the left bowed.

"We had no idea you'd returned." The other one did the same.

"What are you doing talking to these people?" Blake asked Ghira, definitely not happy about the situation.

"This is Corsac and Fennec Albain. They represent the White Fang here in Menagerie now." Ghira introduced them.

"And why in Dante's Nine Circles of Hell are you allowing these murderous assholes anywhere near your home?" I asked like he was an idiot as I pointed Lionheart at them.

"Young man, I'm not sure of what you've heard of our organization, but I can assure you we're not nearly as ferocious as the media would have you believe." Fennec said. I shot just over his ear, causing him to flinch. Ghira tried to intervene, but Blake shook her head.

"I was there when the White Fang robbed a large shipment of Dust with Roman fucking Torchwick! I was there when both led Grimm into the city! I was there when both and a few of their partners attacked Beacon! I was there when these people lured and even transported Grimm to the coliseum and the school as they hacked Atlas military drones to shoot everyone! I was there to see a classmate die to the White Fang's partner and that same classmate get tricked into becoming a murderer not long before that! I was there when Adam fucking Taurus nearly killed me, stabbed one of my teammates, and cut off another's arm before I killed him!" I shouted. Both their eyes widened a little as they heard mention of his death.

"What is he talking about? Is this true?" Ghira asked them.

"Sadly, Your Grace, it is." Fennec said.

"Is everything alright?" Kali asked as she approached.

"Now give me one good reason not to put the next bullet in your he-"

"That's enough!" Ghira interrupted me. "Explain yourselves."

"Though it pains us to admit, it has become apparent that the Vale branch of the White Fang is no longer operating under orders of High Leader Khan." Corsac began to explain. "Rather, they've decided to follow the rule of one Adam Taurus, who hasn't been found. I believe you're all familiar with the young adept and his... Extreme philosophies."

"Well I had his sword in me long enough to get an idea, yes." I pointed the gun at him.

"The High Council had their suspicions of a splinter group, but could prove nothing until this latest incident." Fennec said. I kept Lionheart on Corsac as I looked between them.

"'Incident'?" Blake asked in disbelief, her voice a little shaky. "People are dead!"

"And it is a tragedy." Corsac commented.

"Your Grace, we came to assure you that Brother Taurus and his followers do not represent the will of the White Fang." Fennec said.

"It doesn't matter. Fact of the matter is that as far as everyone knows, Adam, a high ranking member of the White Fang, lead an assault on the city of Vale and Beacon, resulting in the CCT tower being destroyed, countless human AND Faunus deaths, and an entire city being overrun by Grimm. If you weren't already a terrorist organization, you're certainly the most wanted now!" I said.

"We have ample documentation from the counsel meeting as well as several strategies to apprehend and punish these strays if you'd care to review them." Fennec said to Ghira.

"I will. But another day. I'd like some time to reconnect with my daughter." Ghira said as he turned to Blake.

"But of course, Your Grace." Corsac said.

"We completely understand. It was a pleasure to see you again, young Blake." Fennec said.

"We were saddened when we heard of your departure from the White Fang, but understand if you can no longer support our cause."

"It is a wearying fight, after all."

"Who says I'm done fighting?" Blake asked, taking a step forward.

"Hmm... If you ever do wish to return, you need merely to come find us." Corsac said.

"Sister Ilia would be elated." Fennec said. Ghira stepped between us.

"Goodbye, gentlemen." He said before closing the doors. Blake walked away.

"Is there any chance you can set up a meeting with Sienna?" I asked Ghira. Both he and Kali looked at me like I was crazy.

Try to salvage this the best I can.

PreviousChapters Next