• Published 15th Sep 2018
  • 1,054 Views, 2 Comments

The war with ourselves - The Potato Guy



What if friendship failed? A look at the world of MLP in a darker setting as Nightmare Moon returns to a Equestria unfortunately more like our own

  • ...
6
 2
 1,054

The end of Ponyville

First it was Manehattan.

Then it was Fillydelphia.

Every time that fresh news reached the ears of Canterlot, another dozen towns had risen up in arms against Celestia, against Equestria.

Before long, nearly the entire north east of what once was the state of Equestria, had revolted, pledging their undying allegiance to the rebellious faction that had emerged with the return of Nightmare Moon.

Such a thing came as a great shock to many, and to those who called themselves friends of Princess Luna, immediate thought placed itself on why this had, yet again, happened. Instead of ensuring their efforts were focused on countering the coming threat, the idea that Luna could come back was entertained far too long.

This proved the greatest mistake Equestria and its guardians could make.

The revolt started off small, yet fierce, in the heavily and densely populated areas of the north east, an area of the continent filled with sprawling metropolises, and with that, Ponies of all backgrounds.

In the shadows, and leading up to this day, loyal supporters of Nightmare Moon had been growing support. Focusing on the disillusioned, the poor, the angry, any Pony who’ mind could be manipulated to better serve the coming storm. It took time, but time had been generously given to the servants of the night, and soon enough, corruptions and discontent with the current leadership had spread to all walks of life. Even the military, once seen as a bulwark against evil, had sympathisers among it, even within the upper ranks.

The bulk of Nightmare Moon’s new army was from the working classes, those who had not felt the grace of wealth or even happiness upon them. From the few with influence, to the many without, a new force was ready to take on the might of Equestria.

And so they did. Reports were sketchy at first. Civil unrest, shots apparently fired. Only when it was too late, and the north east had fallen, that Princess Celestia finally ordered the mobilisation of the army.

Using it however, was another matter. Blind as they were, effort was instead placed, by Celestia and her allies, into trying to appease to Luna, now Nightmare Moon. Without the Elements of Harmony however, and with a real force behind her, Nightmare Moon was left only amused, and in this opportunity, she stroke.

Her forces were unorganised and poorly armed, but they had momentum on their side, and no Pony could dent the ferocity and conviction in the hearts of her supports. These were the zealots of her army, those willing to die for their new Queen.

These fanatics, determined as they were, hit hard and fast at Equestria’s weak points. Its industrial and military centres. Within a mere couple of days, the new Lunar Empire had gained precious and valuable ground, solidifying its status as a legitimate threat and opposition in Celestia’s Equestria.

Divisions of confused and shocked soldiers could do little as their commanders either willingly pledged their servitude to Queen Nightmare Moon or did so completely out of fear. From bands of unorganized, albeit strong in conviction, rebels, soon came the legions of the Night and with it, a proper war.

Nightmare Moon’s forces may have been smaller than her once sisters, even more lacking in equipment, but with the capture of bases and factories, it was only a matter of time until an equally powerful military existed to counter Equestria.

In yet another panicked attempt at quashing this revolt, Equestria sent its armies to simply attack, with little consideration to actual tactics.

The meaning of casualties became very clear to Celestia from there on. Experience, prisoners and extra equipment only benefited Nightmare Moon and despite their relative size, compared to Equestria, time allowed a strong defensive line to form around her territory, and more and more Ponies joining her cause.

Through intimidation, servitude or pure fear, no Pony now dared to challenge Nightmare Moon, from fear of death. While it was a fact that the return of Nightmare was far from welcomed by many, the cruelty, severe oppression and downright destruction of literally any resistance was all it took too put all Ponies in line.

In fact, it was Equestria who had to worry about its populace. Despite their few numbers, sympathisers of the Lunar cause ensured Equestria remained weak from within. Be it attacks, revolts or civil disobedience, Nightmare Moon’s loyal supporters did all they could to distract and weaken Equestria.

Now, in yet another decisive moment for the future of the land, Celestia called up her reserves and finally faced the truth. That Luna was gone, and until Nightmare Moon and her forces had been crushed, Celestia wouldn’t be getting her dear sister back.

She was on the backhoof, but her armies, however chaotic they may now seem, were larger and equipped with the latest weaponry. Were they used correctly, victory was surely assured.

For now though, all civilians needed to retreat from the fires of war and as of now, Canterlot itself was on the front line. The immediate course of action was to evacuate the city and its surrounding towns and villages, to send the civilian population farther west, and let the military hunker down and prepare for attack.

This initially seemed to go smoothly, as tens of thousands of ponies flooded from the area to designated areas away from any combat. The only problem however, was a small town.

A town going by the name of Ponyville.

Celestia knew this town all too well. It was the place of residence of her very real and loving friends, including the group of ponies affectionately known as the Mane 6. They refused to abandon their Princess in her time of need and stated, just as they had done previously, they were defeat Nightmare Moon and get back their other Princess.

Celestia’s heart warmed at their loyalty, and refusal to abandon their friends, her included. This dedication wouldn’t seem, bar worry for their wellbeing, too bad, but preliminary attacks from the Lunar Empire had now directly threatened Ponyville, its importance both strategically and to the psyche of Equestria obviously well known. Celestia had no choice but to send a hastily created division down to hold the line, while civilians were able to flee.

This division was so poorly equipped, so loosely trained, that Star Scraper, a simple Earth Pony conscripted only less than three weeks ago, shortly after Nightmare Moon had made known her return, thought what good he and his comrades could even do. The very fact that it was his division sent down to protect Ponyville was far from an honour. It was clear that, what remained of Celestia’s army, was so thinly spread that Equestria literally needed whatever they could find to send down here.

Star Scraper, among others, had far from enough experience to be relied upon on the front lines. His job was backend support, to provide logistics to the front line, and generally just protect the town from any infiltration. His arrival into the military was so fresh, and so unexpected, given the circumstances, that a suitable role had not even been considered for him yet. Logistics was merely the branch lacking enough ponypower that warranted his immediate support.

So now here he was, only a day deep within the siege of Ponyville. He had yet to see actual combat, but from the sound of the increasingly loud gunfire, that innocence was soon to be broken.

“PRIVATE!” cried out the voice of his Platoon officer, First Lieutenant Strong Hoof.

“Yes Sir?” replied Star Scraper, lost in a place that was anywhere but this hell hole.

“THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IDELING AROUND? GET THOSE SHELLS LOADED ALREADY!”

Star was cruelly ripped from his daydreaming, even if they were of the war in general. Anything was better than the bombed out buildings and churned up ground of this once beautiful charming town, and time could not be afforded to waste while he had a job. Artillery needed more shells to throw at the enemy, and in not doing so, there was no hope for this town to be retained to its former glory.

These were noble concerns forever on his mind. He had in fact been here before, merely as a tourist. Like countless others, Star Scraper had heard the tale of the “Mane 6” and could not wait to visit the quaint location that was their home. Ponyville had not disappointed on that front, hence his determination to ensure the place was rid of war.

Yet Star was not a career soldier, nor a Pony who had aligned himself to a cause that he would fight to the death to see. He was simply a Pony from a sleepy village near Vanhoover way, and that was the way he liked it. Here, in the centre of all things, fighting for the very future of Equestria, that was an unfamiliar and uncomfortable thing. The only hardship he had known so far was the essays due the next day, during his studies. Fighting against one of the most powerful Ponies in the world wasn’t his idea of a future.

War wasn’t something Star wanted to see for any length of time. He had heard the tales of Nightmare Moon, the rumours of what her supporters did and the very real possibility of what an Equestria under the Night Queen would be like, but this polarised fight between literal light and dark, as some ponies saw it, wasn’t him. All he wanted was to survive this next ammunition run, and somehow, sometime, be rid of this warzone, and be back home.

That was the thing most on his mind, even if it honestly meant letting beautiful and important places such as this fall to whomever the victor was. Were Celestia to win, it would more resemble the status quo, however, Star had heard the talk of his comrades, the stories that, after losing her sister for a second time and hearing an entire section of her realm was in flames and her ponies with it, told that she had lost her mind, and all resemblance of the good Pony that she was, had gone. It was a scary thought, that perhaps instead of a tyrant from the Moon, he would instead be ruled by one from the sun. Who knew that Equestria would resemble with such low stability.

On the other hoof, and the alternative reality, was the Lunar Empire conquering all. The consequences of that horror were far plainer. A tyrant demon who’s iron hoof crushed all. Such a dark future, perhaps literally, would be one of pain, misery and torment, just for the innocent Ponies of the world. Star, now officially within Equestria’s military, would certainly never see the light of day, whether Nightmare Moon end it or not. A swift execution was waiting for him if he was lucky. If he wasn’t, then it was obvious his death wasn’t going to be swift at all.

Yet perhaps quite telling of his disenfranchisement from the world, and determination to live peacefully, no matter the bigger picture, Star could almost see why Nightmare Moon had supporters, at the very least. Unlike a victory of Celestia’s, stability wouldn’t really be an issue, not when whatever was causing instability wouldn’t be alive anymore. Nightmare Moon’s strength and cruelty knew no bounds, and any resistance to her and her rule would be stomped out promptly and efficiently. Nothing would be left to impose her, ensuring an Equestria existing only for her.

Star certainly had no plans to be part of any resistance, only wishing the same thing he wished for should Celestia win.

Peace.

Alas, all outcomes, all desires were out of his control, and standing here, with a cart of high explosive shells attached to him wasn’t a way to help his cause. He needed to get them delivered, and then get the hell back to camp, where it was comparatively safe.

Here, as he bolted from the crater littered street, wasn’t. He couldn’t even see the enemy, but the returning fire occasionally made its way his direction, be they stray bullets, hungry for a target, or an over firing shell of their own. Yet the flashes and booming of canon made one thing clear, he was approaching his destination and with it, chances of his peaceful life, getting smaller than ever before.

“Trooper! Here!” cried out a voice as Star turned a corner and bore witness to the hell facing him. Fields of rolling hills, blacked with craters and scars of battle. Gone was any resemblance of the gentle green, now only mud from the making of beings of an anything but gentle nature.

This wasn’t him. This wasn’t Star Scraper.

He couldn't delay though. The artillery batteries were no longer here, and the sinister appearance of dozens of tanks, taking cover at the top of the hill Star was situated upon, was sign of a counter attack. He was almost tempted to just peek over the hill, to venture a few meters beyond the tanks, to look at what was coming for him. Foolish he wasn’t though, frantically pulling his delicate cargo over to the pony who had called him.

“Yes Sir!” Star saluted, much to the dismay of the Armoured Corps Officer. Star couldn’t blame him. Technicalities were not needed right now, and from the looks of it, neither were the tanks. Star had no great knowledge of these armoured beasts, but even he knew they weren’t of great quality. They were old models, probably taken from reserve as the situation became ever more dire. These old machines were all his division had, and whatever use they could provide, these brave troopers were going to put to good use.

“You’re needed elsewhere! Arty guys had to redeploy elsewhere! Damn Bat Ponies got us good and they are close. We’re are going to try and change that…if we can”.

Star felt sadness for this Pony, as he knew better than he did that if the enemy had broken the perimeter, hope as preciously low. A counter attack could possible delay further loss, but with out of date tanks, and knowledge of Bat Ponies, elite regiments extremely loyal to Nightmare Moon, were close, Star just wished these tankers had as much luck as possible on their side.

“Where-“Star began to ask, before being rudely interrupted by the boom if a shell landing nearby. Dirt was kicked upwards as all nearby Ponies dove into the mud. Star was left unharmed, but not without terror. He just wanted to live. That was all.

“Where are they now?” Down the hill and south of here, over the river and whenever the see a farm and an apple orchard!” replied the officer, wasting no time.

That was quite the redeployment. Literally from one side of Ponyville to the other, retreating through the entire town. Star was no idiot, there was only reason they would do such a thing. The frontline was about to be overrun, and now the battle was focused on pounding the enemy as they took the town.

This was no counterattack at all. These tanks were here to delay the enemy, as the town’s defenders evacuated.

Star was left at a loss. He prayed that Celestia save them, and even to ensure their path to the next world was peaceful.

The Officer picked up on the realisation. For a moment, Star swore he witnessed this suicide mission make its impact known once more to him. Yet as professional as he could, and with a heart quite familiar with bravery, fear was not allowed to win.

“Don’t concern yourself with us kid. Get going before you can’t!” The officer demanded, as he pushed Star with his hoof.

Star knew he wouldn’t see this Pony again, and the sad look he couldn’t be rid of only served to remind him of the cost of this deadly war. It was hell. As simply yet evil as that.

“GO!”

Star didn’t need warning again, as shells whistled above his head and landed in the town, destroying anything still left standing. Calling upon his strength, Star made a run for it, using the hill to his advantage. Increasingly distant and heard between the constant pounding of explosions, Star heard bravery cry out once more.

“BOYS, ITS TIME! TODAY WE SHOW THAT THESE EDGY, POINTY EARED FREAKS WILL NOT HAVE FREE REIGN THE FREEDOM AND MIGHT OF EQUESTRIA. TO BATTLE! TO VICTORY!”

A rowdy speech to be sure, and another sign that certain death didn’t have to mean the death of humour. Star was sure to remember this Pony, for he was surely worthy of the title of hero.

Star didn’t look back. He carried on taking cover from building to building as his light but brightly coloured armour was sure to give him away to any marksponies. His wasn’t as obnoxiously shiny as the Royal Divisions, with their glistening gold plate, but as an apparent requirement to show loyalty to Celestia, his armour unfortunately had to be of a copper shade, still enough to be an effective target for the enemy.

He needed to venture further into Ponyville, this would increase the time it could take to his destination, and possibly be closer to artillery strikes, but death from that was pure luck. Luck didn’t exist when a sniper had him in its crosshairs.

So that was an easy decision for Star. Anything to stave off death by just a little was the choice he was always going to pick.

Yet it didn’t soon feel like a good decision. An easy decision for Star. Anything to stave off death by just a little was the choice he was always going to pick.

Yet it didn’t soon feel like a good decision.

Feeling personally discriminated against by the enemy heavy guns, Star again and again begged that the next whirling shell continued over his head. He was painfully aware of what that selfishness could mean though. He wasn’t being targeted specially, but whichever shell didn’t find him, it would surely find another. Death needed it's due, and his buddies still left at camp, in the centre of Ponyville, they probably weren’t going to be so lucky.

Star cursed himself for his cowardice. His all-conquering desire to just live another day was useful to no pony. Eventually his burden could drag him no further. Slamming himself into an alley way, Star went screaming into the dirt. The horrors of war had already begun to claim him.

The unending barrage did little to help him. Destruction was constant, as was its chipping away of his mind.

Then it went quiet. Not in the world however. Still, waves of shells ripped apart the earth, but in Star’s mind, that had gone. He at first thought he had lost his mind, that he was one of those poor Ponies who just freeze up, even mid combat.

When he reached to the rifle, constantly rattling as he moved, that had been slung over on his back, Star knew his mind was still there, and it had been made up.

He hadn’t even used this rifle in actual combat. There had been no use in which he had need of it. What was remarkable to Star was that this rifle, a shortened version of the standard bolt action rifle, issued throughout Equestria, was not even his. He hadn’t even been issued with one upon arrival. Astounding at the time, that a soldier would arrive at a battlefield, unarmed. The truth however, was far worse. Thanks to the unorganized nature of the division, casualties had been high and with them, weapons left unused. That was how Star now had a rifle considered expensive and new by the world. Equestria may have left it military stagnate, but it was a large place, and a nation with enough factories to at least allow some widespread positives within the Army.

Nonetheless, those technicalities mattered not anymore. He had no withdrew with weapon to examine it.

Star felt the crushing realities of life break down his very being. He wished to be anywhere but here, but that was a wish born of pure fantasy. He was not ignorant enough to believe even a weakened version of that desire would come true. His grave was in this division and most certainly, this town.

This was not up for debate, for as Star rested the rifle stock on the ground, and brought the muzzle towards his head, he knew these to be his final moments.

Memories flashed by. Memories of his idyllic and peaceful foalhood, his friends, his family, even his most mundane and depressing moments. All were of his life and all contributed to a life he wished would come back.

It wasn’t though.

The trigger was about to see to that.

Yet instead of the sharp bang of ammunition firing, instead of all ending in darkness, Star heard a more natural noise. It was far from pleasant, but the mere hearing of a group of ponies was all it took to interrupt his dark deed.

Star looked down the alley way, seeing a group a clearly non-military ponies scramble out of a building.

The last remnants of the evacuees, Star presumed.

That was partly true in fact. Among the group were visibly terrified civilians of a florists. Nothing out of ordinary in a place like this, but it was those who lead them to safety that peaked Star’s attention.

A blue coated Pegasus with a rainbow coloured mane, a white unicorn with a well-kept, purple mane and perhaps most amazingly of all, a purple coloured Alicorn.

The actual Princess of friendship, Twilight Sparkle.

The other two must have been the elements of harmony, Rainbow Dash and Rarity.

Star was astounded. These ponies were famous all across Equestria. These were the actual ponies who had saved Star’s and Equestria’s collective rumps.

He could have very well been star struck, were it not the war, and the fact they were all running right towards him.

“Hey you! Soldier boy!” cried out the Pegasus that was obviously Rainbow Dash. “You gonna help us or what?!”

Suddenly aware of what a scene this could have been if he had followed through with his despair. A weak Pony incapable of going on while the Princess of Friendship , and without any insult given, book like pony, stayed behind to help civilians who had been trapped by the infernal bombardment.

He would be dead, but his soul would find no peace with such shame. Quickly ensuring his rifle was positioned in a more battle ready position, Star fell back on instinct and training.

“No can do. These shells need delivering!”

It was a brutal and blunt fact to him, that despite current issues, he still had a job to do, and he was later than he ever had been. Star hated replying in such a way, but a soldier’s first duty was to fight.

Wasn’t it?

“What?!” spat back Rainbow Dash, stopping mid-air in shock. “Are you blind or something? Or would you literally just leave the injured behind?”

Star’s eyes did then venture over to the bloodied leg and head of the florists, clearly from flying debris from when shells had exploded.

This just made it all the harder to him. He had already worried about what mess it would seem if he let go before any of these non-combatants , so what would it look like if he refused to help those in need, those he was meant to be protecting with all this fighting?

Star knew his decision.

Unclipping from cart from his back, he rushed over to assist with the limping civilians.

“Princess”. He acknowledged, as his good natured self-trumped all formalities.

Fortunately, this was the Princess of Friendship, and she was a pony of great understanding, and thus didn’t comment of Star’s general lack of protocol. All the better for it too. Silly things like mattered not when the three elements and a soldier had to carefully manoeuvre injured civilians.

“Thank you darling” said Rarity as Star took up mantle of taking most of the weight of the more injured civilian.

“We haven’t much time!” assured Twilight. Scanning the town for any escape or enemies. “Lun- Nightmare Moon’s legions have broken through!”

Star almost stopped in his tracks, were it not for the even more fragile thing he was now carrying through the streets. If the Bat Legions had broken through, this meant the armoured counterattack had failed, and Ponyville was essentially wide open.

“The farm” stated Star in quick desperation, gaining the attention of the Princess. “We were told to rendezvous there should the town fall. “

“Not any more buddy!” shot back Rainbow Dash, mixing her helping with the injured with flying high to see if the coast was clear. “Everypony is going back west. Princess Celestia’s orders!”

Now Star really was confused. He looked towards Twilight who could barely look him in the eye, least of all talk directly at him. She knew why this development was tricky to say. Especially towards him.

“Rainbow! Not now!” she hissed towards her friend, very much aware of Star realising what she knew.

“Oh buck…dude…I’m sorry…”

Sympathy, even from a well-known figure such as the element of loyalty did little to alleviate the pain.

Celestia had, obviously Twilight too since she was a Princess, informed those in command of the total retreat from not only Ponyville, but its outskirts as well. All civilians, support companies and staff were to leave the entire town vicinity to head for far safer environments. Yet evacuation, as it was now clear did not encompass all Ponies. Star’s division would remain, and fight wherever they could stand, be it on the perimeter, within the town itself, or the surrounding fields once far from the enemy. All fighting military forces were to remain here, to the death.

“We….we need to hurry.” Star couldn’t bring himself to react. Not only because his company was of high esteem, but in letting himself show his true feelings to this near betrayal, Star would find no peace. He would further be broken as the floodgates of his emotions totally collapsed.

Of course in showing such final defiance, even if it was only to himself, it didn’t mean that he appeared so cold and stoic to those in his presence. The elements shared looks of concern between them, but admirably still carried on with their duties to their fellow Ponies. As little as he wanted or liked it, Star was a soldier, and he wasn’t about to try and shake that look from himself in front of actual royalty.

The uncomfortable truth, as he know knew, was the actual reason behind this almost cruel decision to leave him behind. Equestria’s situation was increasingly dire, and most of all, time was needed. Time to delay the enemy to further mobilise the military and whip them into fighting order.

It was just a shame this, however necessary motion, had to come at any cost.

“Twi!” shouted Rainbow Dash, as the small group navigated through burning buildings and large craters. “Bat uglies are flooding in! Just teleport the others out of here!”

Her tone was desperate, almost panic like. Star frantically looked around him as small arms fire could clearly be heard now, previously only the air occupied by large artillery fire. This could only mean the enemy was getting closer.

“Rainbow stop! I’m not leaving you!” Twilight emotionally replied, as the group could only stop in an increasingly desperate decision of what to do now.

“You won’t be! I get to protect this guy in shining Armor!” Rainbow said, perhaps uncomfortably enthusiastically, given the bleak and dark circumstances. The accompanying wink from her through Star completely off. Either Rainbow was as broken as he was, and put on a happy face to mask that, or she was in her element, and didn’t really fear death.

Whatever it was, Star almost believed she would be more comfortable in her role than he ever would be.

“No!” Twilight, quite expectedly, fired back. “You’re too important to just throw your life away like that…and you’re my friend.”

Twilights words were solemn, telling of previous and painful loss. Star wouldn’t inquire, but he now knew he wouldn’t allow Rainbow Dash to die with them. That could be his moment of bravery at least.

“But-…” Rainbow protested, immediately shot down again by the Princess.

“NO!” Twilight yelled, showing just how much she cared.

She then took a moment to look around. Her mind probably heavy and burdened with responsibility.

“I….I could try teleporting us out of here…”

“But….?” Inquired Rarity, understandably sensing a catch.

“B-but it won’t be as precise as before! I don’t know what magic they are using, but it’s like its preventing me from seeing where to teleport too. I still can, but we could end up with a long trek to Canterlot at best. At worse….um….”

Star understood her concern. It was a risk, but in not taking it, that was surely riskier.

Yet why couldn’t he voice this concern?

Rainbow seemed convinced luckily. Choosing not to fight her cause any longer. That was lucky, as Star could not bring himself to defend Twilight. Internally, he only felt despair, as if, whatever happened now, both in terms of the evacuation, and the war, mattered no longer.

“Darling…we have to. I’m afraid we won’t make it long on hoof.” Rarity interjected, as she tenderly examined the injuries of the other Ponies.

Twilight began to pace. Frustration taking her. In being a Princess , that did mean added care and responsibility for others, burdens Star was thankful he was free of, but great sympathy however, that something lacking now. Every moment in spent in this war, the more and more he disconnected with the fighters of Equestria.

Twilight then stopped, her mind apparently made up.

Star could not read minds, but the sad look she now bore towards him, told everything, without a word even being spoke.

“I’m….I’m so sorry”. She said, her words broken as she could barely make her next move, knowing that Star would be effectively abandoned, left to fend for himself against a threat no pony knew he would survive against.

Star did not respond. He had long entertained the depressing idea he wouldn’t see home again. Even Rainbow Dash had her mood changed with this development. She prized loyalty, and leaving a Pony behind wasn’t compatible with that.

“You don’t deserve this…and I don’t even know you’re name…”

Star felt Twilights heartbreak, but it was a hollow gesture, empty of any substance. He was going to die, and nothing could soften that mental blow.

“Star. Star Scraper.” He simply replied.

“Thank you Star Scraper. Thank you for your service and you…sacrifice. I do hope you get out of this ok…” any more from Twilight surely would have send her into a state of tears. With weak nods of gratitude from the injured Ponies, and caring and gentle touch from Rarity, and a usual upbeat punch on the shoulder from Rainbow Dash, the group. Baring Star, formed into a tight cluster, and with one last solemn look, disappeared in flash of bright light, leaving none but Star, alone, in a Ponyville no longer a home to those gone.

Star knew he couldn’t remain still in depressed fear. He didn’t really want to be found dead and in a million pieces. Alone with just him and his rifle, Star took cover by various buildings.

Yet as he ventured in now any direction he thought was safest, he began to see dark spots in the distance, whose armour rattled and weapons called for victims.

Ponyville was overrun, and the only visible resistance now was Star Scraper.

He could fire his rifle. Currently unseen, he could maybe hit a target. But his confidence was shaken, his desire to fight long gone.

In fact, in seeing the legions of Bat Ponies burst through into a town once full of joy and peace, that broke him completely. He was to be a deserter, were it not for the continued barrage of mortar and artillery.

Abandoning his rifle, Star could not make it far before a nearby building was hit, and its rubble collapsed upon him.

Star was thankful that he was hidden from the world, and free of the horrors of it, even as his world went black and a sharp pain to his head made him completely ignorant to any of his surroundings.

The siege of Ponyville was over.

Author's Note:

Hey everyone, hope you enjoy this chapter.

Just a few things to note.
In this world, based on the mod Equestria at War, is a world of technology equivalent to out worlds World War 2 technology. So think the weapons , planes, tanks etc of that era and that's basically the same for this one.

I hope you enjoy this start to the story. I think the premise has been set now, and the story may now be told from any angle we would like to read.

Would love to hear feedback so far. If you like it through the eye's of an OC , mixing with well known characters etc.

Until next time