• Published 15th Sep 2018
  • 853 Views, 20 Comments

The Reign of Chaos: Discord's Story - MisterEdd



How did Discord become the Lord of Chaos? Was he always the only draconequus? What made him turn evil?

  • ...
3
 20
 853

Chapter 7-Decisions

For two hours, Violet Twinkle sat locked up in her room, shutting out the external noise of the outside world and watching as the steaming tea in her cup swirled around, a tiny white spiral in a sea of hazel. Spread all out across the mare's desk were a collection of mementos relating to her happy times with Discord, from the finger painting he made at age four to the scarf he'd knitted her for last Hearth's Warming Day. Violet groaned. Ten years of love and laughter on display and yet none of it could vanquish the vice gripping her chest nor dry her eyes. She picked up a crayon drawing of the two of them that Discord drew when he was seven, signing his name proudly in large letters: "LOVE, DISCORD."

The door squeaked open and Dawn Glimmer retrieved the still-uneaten tray of food Violet had pushed off to the side, too busy sniffling and staring trance-like at a lumpy clay figure of a manticore, clearly made at the hands of a child. Dawn looked at her old friend sadly, crestfallen at seeing her so depressed and isolated. The usually-preppy unicorn took everything in stride, never letting anypony or anything get in the way of her happiness, just smiling the problem away with a bounce in her step and a hum on her lips. Now Violet sat hunched over with her tail curled around her, her eyes still puffy and red from crying. It appeared as though she was going to experience undeserved heartbreak for the second time in her life.

"Vi, are you alright?" Dawn quietly asked, touching her friend's shoulder with the very tip of her hoof. While it was true that Discord's freaky magic creeped her out, Dawn had nothing against the chimera and actually admired his cheerfulness and kind nature, noting how alike he was to Violet and how he filled a hole in her heart left by Hawthorn's passing. Violet turned to face Dawn, nodding stiffly as she accepted her friend's hoof caressing her shoulder.

"It's just so hard, the idea of giving Discord up. He's my child; I don't care what anypony says." Despite the glum look on Violet's face, it did nothing to affect the fiery determination in her voice. "He needs me."

"Honey, I know you love him like a son but think about it: when will a chance like this ever come again?" This seemed to wake Violet up, her eyes becoming much clearer and focused. Dawn continued solemnly: "We've had to keep Discord in the house in order to protect him. Do you remember when he was six and you decided to bring him into town? Ponies will only fear or ridicule him for the way he looks. He was never going to be adopted, never going to have the same opportunities other kids will have. Now he has a chance."

"I know. Believe me Dawn, I know," Violet sighed. "On the night I found him, I promised Discord that I would protect him and care for him. I hoped for somepony to one day come for him but now that the day's here, I...don't want to let him go." The choking sound in her throat indicated that she was ready to cry but her tear ducts were all dried up.

Wrapping her forelegs around Violet, Dawn held her head to her chest and stroked her mane. "You've raised him like your own child, I get that but at least at the castle Discord will be fed and kept safe. Besides, you can still visit him right? I'm sure the queen will allow it if you just asked."

Violet lifted her head up. "You're right. I do want the best for him. It's just hard to let go."

"If you don't let him go now, then how can you ever expect to do it later?"

The question echoed throughout Violet's head like the ringing of a bell. As much as she loved Discord, she knew it would be selfish to keep him at the orphanage just because of her own neediness and desire for motherhood. He was an oak tree; he was strong and needed room to grow. All he needed now was the right soil. Shutting her eyes tightly, Violet took a deep breath and stated, "I've made my decision."


Star Swirl looked around at the empty alleyway and decided now was the perfect time to deliver a message. Pulling an ornate hoof-mirror from out of his satchel, he powered it with a glow from his horn and watched as fog churned around on its surface, twisting and writhing like serpents before they coalesced into the shape of a throne room. The crowned unicorn mare stared at the wizard expectantly. "Star Swirl, what news do you have to report?"

"Your Majesty," he bowed. "I did as you asked and it turns out that it is indeed a draconequus. What's more is that he's very gifted. His magic is quite advanced for someone so young."

There was a pause as Queen Concordia froze, her eyes gazing off into the distance as she digested this new information. Once the shock wore off, she regained her senses and enquired, "I see. So why aren't you there now?"

"I asked Miss Violet Twinkle to take Discord with me back to the castle. As her guardian, I had to give her the option. She's taking time to think over her decision before I return. Her time's almost done."

"Star Swirl, while I admit your consideration and dedication to adhering to the law, I have to ask you one simple question: what if she says 'No?' Did you consider this?"

The wizard shook his head. "My apologies, Your Majesty, the thought hadn't occurred to me. If Violet were to refuse, what would you have me do?"

Queen Concordia considered this. "Take him anyway. After all, you are acting on my behalf and thus you have the authority. If Violet Twinkle resists, have her arrested for interfering in royal affairs."

Star Swirl exhaled through his nostrils, floored by her callous response but still duty-bound to carry out her orders, no matter the moral ramifications. He understood the pain and fear that drove her towards such cold-heartedness; after all, Queen Concordia know better than most how deadly the draconequui were and a single one, especially a magic user, was deadlier than one-hundred royal guards. "As you wish, Your Majesty. It will be done." The mare's face vanished and the mirror once again became nothing more than a reflective surface. Replacing the mirror, Star Swirl wove his way through the throngs of busy ponies as he made his way back to the orphanage.


"Discord, you have to go with him." Violet readjusted the pull strings of the simple gray sack that contained Discord's meager belongings and slipped them over his shoulder and chest. "The queen herself asked to see you. She will take care..." She couldn't finish her sentence; her throat was stiff and she could feel the pressure in her chest full to bursting.

The chimera stood there dumbfounded, his whole body shaking as he felt himself on the verge of tears. "But why me? I'm nopony special. Did...I do something wrong?"

Oh sweet Concordia help me. "No, you did nothing wrong...-"

"You don't want me anymore?" Discord whimpered.

Those five words sent sharp pangs into Violet's heart and she quickly pulled Discord into her forelegs, afraid that he would drift away like smoke if she let go. "It's not that. You deserve a better life than one I can provide for you. Star Swirl will help you with your magic and make sure that you're taken care of." Small arms found purchase against her back and she rested her chin on Discord's head. "Just remember that no matter what happens, you'll always be my son."

"I love you, Mom," Discord sniffled, fighting the urge to cry but still feeling the tears as they began to build up.

And with that, the flood gates were opened, wetting Discord's hair as Violet let loose all of the love, fear and heartache that had taken solace inside of her since this morning. "I love you too, Son. So very much." She wiped away her tears and, taking one last look at him, kissed his cheek and motioned for Star Swirl to take him. Unable to bare the image of her child's departure, Violet shut her eyes and wept into Dawn's chest, who steadfastly held her tightly as the wizard and the chimera headed out.

"Star Swirl," Dawn said flatly, causing him to turn in confusion. "You'd better take good care of him."

"He will be taken care of," came his immediate reply and was about to open the door when a young Pegasus filly came charging down the stairs and tackling Discord in a massive bear-hug, her face drenched in tears.

"I'm going to miss you!" Posey cried. "You're my bestest friend in the whole world!"

Discord held her tightly, his bird's claw gently combing her wild mane. "You're mine too. I'll miss you so much."

As touching as this display was, Star Swirl had a schedule to keep to and didn't wish to prolong his meeting with the queen. After spending a couple minutes prying the two children apart, Star Swirl simply teleported the filly into another part of the house and inched Discord out of the door, Violet's sobs of agony following them. The chimera understandably shirked from his touch and Star Swirl kept his distance, wishing to keep Discord as calm as he could.

"Come along, Discord. The queen is waiting."

Discord was planted in his spot, paralyzed as he took one last glance at the only home he'd ever known. He tried to commit everything to memory: the slightly tilted doorway, the periwinkle blue paint, the potted plants. Even the simple steel railings on the steps seemed to jump out at him. True, he'd suffered indignation and prejudice there, but he'd also experienced love and friendship. The good things don’t always soften the bad things just as the bad things don’t spoil the good. With that in mind, Discord straightened his back and rejoined Star Swirl on their journey to Canterlot Castle and hopefully, Discord's purpose.

Author's Note:

Ah, goodbyes are never easy to write.

The quote about good and bad experiances is a paraphrase of a quote from the Doctor Who episode "Vincent and the Doctor," which is one of my favorites of the Matt Smith era.

Don't worry; we'll see Violet and Posey again...