• Published 15th Sep 2018
  • 853 Views, 20 Comments

The Reign of Chaos: Discord's Story - MisterEdd



How did Discord become the Lord of Chaos? Was he always the only draconequus? What made him turn evil?

  • ...
3
 20
 853

Chapter 4-A New Friend?

It had been a week since Posey's arrival and heeding Miss Violet's advice, Discord decided to let her get settled in and used to her new surroundings before he tried to engage her again. Despite this, he still watched Posey to see if she was alright and wasn't surprised to see the shy Pegasus keeping to herself, avoiding as much social contact as possible. He covertly left her food or toys without Posey noticing and was somewhat elated to find her not only accepting his offerings but also acting joyfully at receiving them. Discord enjoyed making the filly smile; she did have a magnificent smile and he longed to see more of it. He just had to be patient.

Canterlot was rewarded with a humid, mid-summer day just when the sun was at its zenith and all of the land was bathed in its warmth, the perfect day for outside activities. The orphanage’s backyard was full with the bustling movements of colts and fillies at play, either chasing one another around, playing hide and seek or simply relaxing on the grass. Despite the cheerful disposition, two lone figures stalked the interior of the empty house, each one keeping to their own reasons for isolation. Upon spotting Posey sitting in her room alone, Discord saw his opportunity and inhaled, wanting to make a good second impression. He carefully strode into the room and sat on a bed a few feet away from the Pegasus, who turned her head slightly at the sound of the bed springs squeaking. She then turned her gaze to the floor in front of her.

"Hi. I'm not sure if you remember me but my name is Discord."

Posey continued to stare at the floor, her arms folded across her chest as she squeezed her ragdoll over her heart. Her eyes darted over to look over the chimera before snapping back to their previous location. Other than the ticking of the wall clock, no other sound was present as the pair sat in awkward silence. Finally, Discord sighed, "I'm sorry for trying to force you to talk. It's just that, I was...well, I was kinda hoping we could be...friends? Anyway, I'll see you later, I guess."

It's...it's okay. If you wanna talk, I mean," the filly whispered, causing Discord to nearly jump out of his skin.

"Oh...ahem. Cool, th-that'd be n-nice."

A soft giggle filled the air and it took a split second for Discord to realize that Posey was the source. Wow, even her laugh is adorable! He though giddily as he leapt off of the bed and sat hunched over three feet away from the pegasus, being careful not to overstep his boundary. Another minute of silence passed before Discord was able to form another sentence, his mind hard at work trying to find something to get a conversation moving.

"Soooooo...how're you liking it here?"

For the first time since he entered, Posey looked up at Discord's face and peered into his eyes. "It's fine. Miss Violet is real nice and Miss Dawn is polite but kind of icy. Everypony else is...well, here."

Her eyes...it's like staring into two shimmering emeralds. Discord snapped his attention back to Posey, being sure to let her know that he was actually listening. "I agree, Miss Violet is the best! As for Miss Dawn...eh, she's always like that so don't take it personal. The other kids, well...I can't help you out there. None of them really talk to me anyway."

"Is it because you look...um, different?"

Discord nodded, somewhat impressed with her. She was clearly trying to be sensitive about the matter but still asking about it directly. "Yeah, when you look like me, ponies don't exactly want to be in the same room with you. Plus I kinda have magic that I'm trying to get control over."

Posey scooted a little closer to Discord. "Really? How do you do that without a horn?"

Discord scratched the back of his neck with his bird claw. "I don't know. I mean, obviously I'm not a unicorn. Miss Violet says I'm a chimera, which just means I'm a hybrid animal of some sort. I don't know anything about what I am specifically only that I'm funny-looking. I don't know where I'm from or what I am."

He trembled slightly as a gentle hoof laid itself over his lion paw. "You're lonely. I can understand that."

Peering into Posey's emerald irises, Discord lifted an eyebrow. "You-you do?"

"Even though I'm a pegasus, I can't...actually fly."

The next couple of words were whispered so lightly, Discord couldn't make them out. "I'm sorry but what?"

"I can't fly." She muttered again, this time louder but still indecipherable.

"What?"

"I can't fly!" Posey nearly shouted, making Discord jerk his head back at the sudden increase in volume. "Oops, sorry."

Regaining his composure, Discord cleared his throat and grinned, "It's okay. So you can't fly, huh? Well, that's nothing to be ashamed of! I can't fly either. I don't think my wings were built for it." To demonstrate, he unfolded his undersized extensions and began to beat them as fast as he could, not managing to lift himself even an inch off of the floor. He stopped and chuckled, "Oh well, at least I have two good feet."

Posey smiled softly, "That's true. Do you think you could show me some of your magic? I'd love to see it." She then covered half of her face in her hair and murmured, "That is, if it's okay with you."

She-she wants to see my magic? Yes! I can totally do that!

But Miss Violet said not to.

Come on! It'll be a short demonstration, that's all. Just some pizzazz and sparkle and whatnot.

"Sure! Just give me a minute." Drawing a deep breath, Discord closed his eyes and reached deep inside of himself, past all of the hurt and loneliness, all of the fear and rejection until he found nothing but unbridled joy and serenity. He reached his right paw out towards a nearby shelf, where a collection of discarded toys lay motionless. They began to rattle and levitate into the air, bouncing merrily as though they were marching in a parade. Discord opened his eyes and let his jaw hang open at the display before him, taking in the sight of floating dolls, bubble wands and plastic balls.

Out of the corner of his eye, he found Posey staring awestruck at him and then at the levitating toys. At first, she sat ramrod-straight before jumping up and down and clapping loudly.

"Incredible! This is just fantastic!" Posey cheered, her eyes and voice full of wonderment.

Posey...you think my magic is...incredible?! I'm incredible!

OF COURSE YOU ARE, MY DEAR. YOU ALWAYS WERE. NOW THEN, DON'T YOU THINK YOU COULD MIX IT UP A BIT?

Discord shook his head, losing focus as the toys came crashing down and clattering inanimately to the floor, drawing a shriek from both Posey and himself. Ugh, why does the Voice always have to chime in when I'm doing my thing? It bothered him immensely; not only the thought of hearing a disembodied voice in his head but also that it only appeared when he tried using his magic, the one thing that seemed to make him feel unique and happy.

"Um, Discord? Is everything okay?"

Posey's timid voice snapped the chimera back to reality. "Huh? Oh yeah, yeah, I'm okay. Like I said, I'm still learning how to control it. Sorry if I ruined everything." He hung his head low, mentally kicking himself to ruining a chance to make a real friend his own age. What is wrong with me?! I can't make friends like ponies can. I really am just a freak!

To his total surprise, Posey giggled and patted him on the back. "It's okay, Discord. It was amazing that you were able to do that! Most unicorns our age can only lift one object at time and even then most of them have trouble. What you did just now was just incredible. You should be proud of yourself for having such talents."

Even though she sounded genuine, Discord still found himself disbelieving. "You really mean that?"

With a radiant smile, Posey replied, "Really really."

Discord tapped his forefingers together shyly. "So does that mean you...want to be friends?"

Hiding behind her hair, Posey smiled, "Yes. If you want to."

Even though Discord was calm on the outside, on the inside he was skipping, yelling and throwing a party on the inside. He smiled and evenly said, "Yes, I'd very much like that."

Author's Note:

I did think a little of Shrek towards the end there. For those of you wondering who or what the Voice is, no, it's not a split personality. Don't worry, all will be revealed...in about twenty or so chapters. Just stay with me!