• Published 20th Nov 2018
  • 9,432 Views, 868 Comments

Finding Friendship - Kamen-Zero



After an adventure gone wrong, Twilight decides to spend some time living as a "normal" pony for a change. But not all is at it seems in this quiet little country town she has chosen to settle down in.

  • ...
6
 868
 9,432

PreviousChapters Next
— Chapter Twenty-Seven —

--- Insomniac Interrogation ---

Journal entry number three hundred and forty-six.
June 3.
Year 1,011 on the Grand Celestial Calendar.

Dear Twilight Sparkle.

It's me. Or rather, it's you. We're the same person at different points in time. I'm writing this journal entry specifically for you, in the future, in the event something happens and you've lost some important memories of the past few days. Hopefully, it won't come to that, but I may as well take the precaution. If you're wondering why I've decided to open this like I'm writing a letter to myself, don't ask me.

This was your idea.

In the span of just three short days, Ponyville has gone from a quiet little country town to a den for something sinister lurking in the shadows. I haven't gotten the full scope of what's going on yet, but I have discovered that it's all connected to something known as "Corul Luminii Lunii." And whatever this "Moonlight Choir" actually is, it is something that I have yet to fully understand. Based on what I've witnessed, I'm under the grim impression that it is some form of cult. The phrase "salutați corul" has cropped up every now and again. Either murmured on the breaths of ponies afflicted with some sort of memory-blocking enchantment, or in odd dreams depicting centuries-old events I should have no knowledge of.

Suppose I should touch upon that a bit. This all started when I was visited by the Mare in the Moon. She showed up, said some cryptic things I'm fairly certain were just simple attempts to scare me, and left. At first, I'd written it off as just a bizarre bad dream. But, the very next day, I encountered a book by the name "Corul Luminii Lunii," coincidentally enough. A book that had previously shown up in that very same dream. Coincidence? Unlikely. After that, I learned of the library's third floor and of Mr. Knox's insistence of keeping other people out of there. So much so, that he's been using some kind of magic to keep any and all memories at bay, more or less. It isn't perfect, as I was previously shown by Applejack (one of Pinkie's friends. Tall earth pony, stetson hat. You can't miss her). I also agreed to at least try and do something about it. Or at least figure out what "it" even was.

Speaking of. The very next day, I was ushered into the Everfree Forest by a mysterious note, claiming there were answers in the Everfree. And there were, in a manner of speaking. If you consider an arcane shard of stone up in an impossibly tall tree an "answer." It didn't exactly tell me anything specific about Knox, but it did prove without a shadow of a doubt that whatever Knox is doing is in some way connected to the Mare in the Moon, and by extension the Great Shadow War and the Equestrian/Searăn War.

Though, in hindsight, the connection is actually pretty obvious. Mare in the Moon. Moonlight Choir. If it is a cult, they aren't exactly very creative.

It's hard to put into words exactly how that happened though. The stone in the tree reacted to the travel amulet and triggered some kind of bizarre dream. I don't remember most of it, only the important details, and the Mare in the Moon mentioning me "Dream Walking" to see those details. I still don't know why or how that happened at all, but I know that someone caused it to happen. Someone wanted me to see those things, but I still don't know why.

And then there's Fluttershy. Just today (as of writing this), she finally explained what's going on. In regards to her, at least. Long story short, she's been helping a zebra in the woods fight off the timberwolves. Yes, I'm aware of how crazy that sounds. Wanna read something crazier? You agreed to help. And you did, in exchange for information about Knox, which was also something she knew. But out of respect for her, I won't fully recount that experience. Just know that the two things you need to look out for around Knox are some kind of amulet or necklace and some kind of broken black stone. Not very specific, but I didn't have the heart to try and press her for more answers. Telling that story was hard for her, so don't make her do it again.

Now Twilight. If you're reading this and don't remember writing any of it, or living through any of it for that matter, that's probably because Knox got you with whatever form of memory-altering magic he's been able to get his hooves on. I don't know exactly what you're supposed to do with that knowledge. Or rather, I don't know what I'd do with this knowledge. But you're a smart pony, I'm sure you'll figure something out. Or I'm a smart pony, and I'll figure something out. Not smart enough to know how to properly write a warning to myself, apparently.

But if you do remember writing this, then congratulations. You've successfully wasted your own time by recapping the past three days for absolutely no reason.

All was silent.

The only sound to be heard was the hum of magic, the only light came from both the moon high above outside and the gentle glow of Twilight's horn. She laid all but motionless in her bed, reading over her most recent journal entry for what had to be the hundredth or so time. There wasn't any reason as to why she kept reading it, she knew better than anyone what words she had filled this page with. But she didn't exactly have much else she could do for the time being.

Sleep was an elusive and fickle mistress this evening, bouts of it becoming shorter and shorter as the night went on. The clock read as half-past ten, and Twilight still couldn't sleep for the life of her. She couldn't even tell if it was a curse or a blessing, considering who she might get visited by if she even could get some good sleep. It might not even be worth it, depending on what could be waiting for her behind the veil, so to speak. And that was only one of the thoughts bouncing around in her head.

Timberwolves, the Mare in the Moon, Knox Onwud, and Rainbow Dash of all people. So many questions flying back and forth in her head at unimaginable speeds. Each accompanied by any number of hypothetical answers and explanations. Not a single one of them was useful or productive, just a bunch of incomprehensible noise that kept her from sleeping for very long.

And that was just covering the things that she'd chosen to write on for that particular journal entry. The unexpected reunion with one Rainbow Dash, and her emotional moment with Spike, had been excluded from the summery. She didn't even know how to feel about the pegasus showing back up in her life, especially with all the information that she supposedly had. The moment with Spike, meanwhile, was far to gracious for her to properly convey into written words. She doubted Knox's memory magic could touch that anyway, not without direct intent at the very least, so she didn't see the point of making herself relive that. It wasn't like she was going to forget on her own, either.

Speaking of that event from earlier, she gently sighed and continued her only other motion, mildly scratching the head of the soundly sleeping long dragon beside her. After what had happened earlier, she had seen it fit to give him the offer of sleeping with her in her bed tonight. Just a small gesture to try and ease both of their anxious minds. The rest of the day after the event has been a huge upswing, by comparison. But still, the small gesture of kindness seemed appropriate. He didn't say no, for whatever that meant.

Yet even still, Twilight couldn't find the ability to drift off into dreams. No matter what she did, she couldn't calm the calamity in her cranium long enough to actually get some decent sleep. She lightly groaned in clear frustration, placing the journal upon the nightstand as she ever so cautiously removed herself from the bed, as to not wake the slumbering dragon beside her, and silently strolled on over to the window. Another flicker of light from the alicorn's horn was enough to push the curtain aside, just enough for Twilight to be able to peer outside into the darkness behind the glass.

Ponyville was at peace and all was quiet. Save for Twilight's neighbor from across the way, as Lyra was busy arguing with that peculiar yellow earth pony that seemed to live with her by the looks of it. It wasn't a very loud argument, the others in the neighborhood didn't seem to be bothered by it, and it wasn't any of Twilight's business either way. Her eyes weren't on the duo outside though, instead, she was focused upon the gleaming moon high above them. And the hollow eyes of the Mare in the Moon stared back with their calm silver radiance.

Of all the unusual secrets Twilight had stumbled upon within the past few days, her unique interactions with the ages-old alicorn had been the most unusual. All of this started when that mysterious hooded figure had invaded her dreams for one reason or another, bringing with her a vision of that book that had piqued Twilight's interest in Knox, to begin with. A book that appeared in their next meeting as well, that led her into the Everfree Forest to see... whatever it was that dream had been.

Even now, it didn't make any sense at all. Being forced to relive that mare's memories, at least in part. What was the endgame here? What possible reason could anyone have for showing that to Twilight?

"And I think I know where I might find some answers..." Twilight grimaced and lightly rested her head on the cool glass plane before her. Her eyes closed as she began to envision one of the discarded documents that Rainbow Dash had all but thrown at her, trying to recall any detail she could muster from it. But the only vivid detail that came to mind was those three accursed words that tied all this together. She was too shocked at the moment to have done anything other than gawk mindlessly at the document, something she was beginning to regret now. "I should have taken the file when I had the chance."

The idea of Rainbow Dash having information that could possibly help her out was a tantalizing thought. Twilight was certain she could overpower Knox if need be, there wasn't really much immediate danger in play seeing as how she was an alicorn, after all. But that pegasus could help her go in with a greater understanding of the situation. Something that Twilight found herself desiring more and more as time went on this moonlit evening. It would be so easy to just storm in right now, but the more she entertained that idea the more there was this growing sense of anxiety about doing just that. The last time Twilight had walked headlong into a situation without any forethought or plan, she nearly fell to her death from atop that massive tree. The time before that, she had almost gotten Spike mauled by Timberwolves. And the time before that, the two of them had almost become another dragon's late lunch.

She didn't exactly have the best track record for improvising in recent times.

Twilight was suddenly distracted from her overwhelming thoughts as the old mattress began to lightly shift and creek, accented by the low grumbling yawn of the nearby dragon. Something had roused the reptile from his slumber, prompting him to slowly stretch and begin to wake up. It was probably Twilight's talking to herself, or maybe it was the sudden absence of the light scratching she was giving him. Either way, he was up now.

"Uhh... Twilight? That you?" He began rubbing his weary eyes with his claws, trying to get his eyes to quickly adjust to the relatively bright light of Twilight's horn. "What time is it... Is something up?"

"Just... having a hard time staying asleep," Twilight dimmed the light of her magical appendage, "You should go back to bed. You need your sleep."

"So something is up. You always have trouble sleeping when you think too much."

Well, he had her on that one. Though to say Twilight was the only one in the world incapable of sleep when much was on her mind was probably a bit of a stretch, but it was certainly a trait that Twilight had expressed in the past. She sighed in defeat, unable to hide the obvious distress from her closest friend. She lightly shook her head at her own vain attempt at doing so, stepping back towards her bed and sitting down beside the long dragon. She then, very unceremoniously, flopped down onto her back with a resounding upset groan.

"Rainbow Dash knows what's going on..." It was far from the only thing bugging Twilight at the moment, but that was the one that she felt the need to actually tell Spike about. "She's somehow involved in this mess... for better or for worse."

In the dim magical light of her horn, Twilight could hardly see the confused grimace that Spike donned in response. "Uhh... how?"

"Remember all those papers she flung around? I caught glimpse of something... relevant, to say the absolute least."

"So why didn't you bring it up?"

"Because... reasons." Twilight wasn't sure how to describe the torrent of conflicting feelings that had been sprung up by the impromptu reunion with the technicolor pegasus, choosing instead to grumble out an intentionally vague answer to try and avoid the headache that would come with trying to comprehend the unknowable.

"Okay..." Spike allowed the conversation to come to a momentary halt, scratching lightly at his chin as he thought over the reply that had been given to him. "So... why don't you just go ask her about it?"

"I'm honestly considering it. There's just one problem." Twilight took in a deep breath in preparation for what she was about to say next. It was going to have consequences no matter what, there was no avoiding that fact, thus it would be best to just tear the bandage off quickly. "Either I leave you here alone and risk something happening, or I take you with me... and I risk something happening."

"That's... kind of a dumb problem," Spike bluntly retorted, "You take me everywhere... well, almost everywhere. But still."

Spike's words couldn't have been more wrong. While it was true that Twilight had left Spike alone a number of times over the course of their travels, she had never done so without previously informing him. Only doing so when in the relative safety of a town or roadside inn, and making sure not to go too far as to put the long dragon at any real risk should some hiccup showed up in their plans.

But last night's little adventure into the Everfree Forest was different. She didn't tell him about it at all, outside of an almost cryptically vague note, and she had gone quite a considerable distance away from his admittedly secure location. And her only precaution for his protection was a simple array of spells and enchantments that effectively acted as the world's most elaborate baby monitor: great for letting her know if Spike had woken up or if somebody else had gotten into the house, not so great for helping Twilight trek the distance back with any greater haste. Granted, her carelessness in that scenario had come from a sudden bout of spontaneousness and curiosity, but that was exactly the thing that Twilight needed to start avoiding. For both her own sake and for Spike's.

"I... suppose I do..." The alicorn couldn't bring herself to talk to him about last night. It was a huge mistake on her part, and she had already let him down enough today. She didn't need to add to whatever emotional turmoil was going on inside that head of his. "But I just don't know about this one. I don't know how quickly things could just spiral out of control. It could be nothing, it could be the most dangerous thing I've ever done. I have no idea what I'd be walking into."

"Well, you've done a good job at keeping me safe so far," Spike shuffled closer and placed his head atop Twilight's breast, effectively turning his guardian into a makeshift pillow in a sign of affection. "We got away from that dragon... and those dogs... kind of, anyway..."

The words tore at Twilight's heartstrings, in both good and bad ways. The fact that Spike still had that faith in her was a comforting thought, even if it did come with the unpleasant reminder of two complete failures in her eyes. She wouldn't call being almost eaten by a dragon "safe" in any regard, not to mention the actual wound that Spike had suffered as a direct result of her carelessness and haste.

"But I don't need to keep putting you in danger like that," Twilight placed a hoof atop Spike's head and gently rubbed into his scales, getting a dopey grin from him in kind. "I don't know what I would do if you got hurt... or worse..."

"I could always—" Spike interrupted himself with a loud yawn, enraptured by the light scratches courtesy of Twilight's hoof—"Just stay here. Ya know, hold down the fort." He was obviously wanting to go back to sleep, the sagging eyelids being only one of the signs of that fact. "It's not like anybody's gonna break-in."

And Twilight found herself hesitating at his offer, continuing to mindlessly scratch at his scalp as she mulled it over. Surely it couldn't hurt to leave a slumbering dragon unattended for a short while, it wouldn't be the first time after all. But even still, Twilight wasn't sure if she should even attempt such action so soon. There was no telling what would happen when she went to go confront Rainbow Dash about this information.

The debate in her head roared on for what felt like hours before she made her decision. In spite of everything, Spike was making it clear that he'd rather go back to sleep. And Twilight didn't feel right in denying him that, especially if he was the only one out of them both who could actually get some. Even though there was a part of her deep down that knew it could lead to problems, she couldn't bring herself to potentially drag Spike into further danger. She just couldn't do it.

So with the decision was made, and Twilight began the preparations for her little visit with Rainbow and helped Spike prepare to get some sleep. The only difference being that this time Spike was fully aware of this nighttime departure, and personally hoping that he'd get to just sleep through the whole ordeal. And Twilight made sure he was fast asleep before going on her way. Though not without fortifying their home with enough charms and wards to repel a small army for several hours. She made sure that absolutely no living thing, aside from her, was going to be able to get into that house without at least putting up the fight of their lives. Checking and double-checking her enchantments twice over to make sure that she had taken care of everything before walking out the front door and locking it.

Though as she made her way out of her home, Twilight was presented with yet another problem. In that, she didn't know where Rainbow Dash was at this very moment. It wasn't like she had bothered to ask the pegasus where she would be staying over her time in Ponyville. She'd likely be staying in her family home, but again, Twilight didn't know where that was. And it wasn't like she had all night to go door-to-door to try and figure that out.

But lady luck was on Twilight's side this evening, as it wasn't very long until the young alicorn was fortunate enough to catch sight of the very mare she had ventured out to find as she turned the corner. She wasn't sure what Rainbow Dash was doing out at such a late hour, but she could very clearly tell that the pegasus was trying to be stealthy. Dash was walking slowly, turning her head to and fro every now and again to survey the streets of Ponyvile, making sure that she wasn't being watched or followed. It was a wholly involuntary reaction that kept Twilight from being discovered, ducking back behind the building just in time to keep her presence hidden.

That's... a bit too convenient, Twilight thought with held breath, waiting to be swiftly discovered by Dash. That moment never came, however, and Twilight slowly released a silent sigh. What in the world is she up too?

Twilight slowly peeked her head back around the building, watching with great intrigue as the pegasus continued her self-assigned task. It was clear that she was up to something, and Twilight was quick to change her Modus Operandi to figure out what that was without being caught. But as she sleuthed through the suburbs in silent pursuit of her old flying instructor, there was a small piece of her that knew this was a bad idea. Rainbow Dash was a Black Hoof after all, and interfering with an officially sanctioned Black Hoof investigation was one of the most severe crimes in Equestria. Twilight knew that well enough. But at the same time, she just couldn't help herself. She'd long since dedicated herself to seeing this whole mess through, and Rainbow Dash of all people wasn't going to be the one to make her stop.

In what was a rare display of tact from the pegasus—from Twilight's perspective—Rainbow was moving forward with subtlety and care as opposed to what she was more widely expected of her. A lot can change in five years, and it seemed that Rainbow had undergone her fair share of change in that time. With how perceptive and cautious she was acting, Twilight wasn't sure just how long she'd be able to keep herself hidden. Her sole focus was on not losing track of the technicolor pegasus and keeping herself out of sight as she did so, using whatever means she could to remain undetected.

But in the end, it proved to be a fruitless venture. Wherever she was going, Rainbow wasn't taking a direct route in any sense of the word, curving around every building and turning at every available intersection. And as time went on, this pattern only became more erratic as Dash began moving faster and faster. Twilight couldn't keep up and was soon left wondering which way Rainbow had even gone in the first place. She had botched her chance at answers up, and was now left alone in the dimly lit streets of Ponyville. With no one other than the Mare in the Moon to keep her company.

"Ugh, Lost her," Twilight silently groaned to herself, "How in the world did she do that?"

"Trained professional." The calm yet aggravated answer from directly behind Twilight startled the cloaked alicorn, causing her to spin around with a flinch to face a stone-faced Rainbow Dash. "Did you honestly think I didn't notice you trailing me for twenty minutes?"

"... I was really hoping you hadn't..."

"Cute," a cocky smirk decorated Dash's expression for a brief moment before she returned to her cold glare, "So is there a reason you're following me around?"

"I needed to talk to you."

"Can it wait until tomorrow? I'm busy with something... really important right now."

Twilight didn't give an immediate response, quickly trying to put the right words to her thought process. Inspiration struck as she caught glimpse of the silver orb hanging lazily in the sky, an almost teasing reminder of the mess that she had gotten herself into these past few days. She looked back to Dash with a quizzical look about her, choosing to answer that question with one of her own.

"More important than the choir?"

"Ch-ch-choir?" One could almost hear glass breaking as Dash's eye twitched for only the briefest of seconds. She stood there, blankly staring at Twilight, almost as if trying to process the question itself. Her ears flicked up to attention like a lightbulb going off in her head as if to indicate the idea that just came to light. "I... think Rarity does some 'Pony-Tones' thing with some of her friends... If you're talking about that, I wouldn't know—"

"Corul Luminii Lunii," Twilight stopped the pegasus right there and pointed to one of the mare's saddlebags, "That's what they call themselves, right? The Choir of Moonlight?"

If Twilight's first question could shatter glass, then that simple statement alone could have been enough to bring ruin to the whole of Equestria. And once more, Rainbow just stood there with the same wide-eyed blank look on her face. Twilight could tell that there were a million questions going through the athlete's mind, just as they had been surging through Twilight's head for the past several days. But unlike Twilight, these questions seemed to manifest a great deal of rage within the pegasus, for as time went on the blank look upon her face shifted closer and closer towards anger. Her eyebrows furrowed, her teeth bearing down upon her lower lip, and her body beginning to shake and tremble ever so slightly.

She was pissed, in every sense of the word. And that sentiment was made clear as she grabbed Twilight by the collar of her cloak and dragged her off of the street and behind the nearest building before releasing her grip.

"Who told you?" There was righteous fury held within those words, a burning rage that couldn't possibly be quenched by even the deepest of oceans. "How much do you know? Who else knows?"

"I could ask you the same—"

"No. This is not 'asking questions' time," Rainbow hissed back in defiance, "This is 'you answer my questions' time. Who. Else. Knows?!"

"Why is that—?"

"Because anyone who's heard those three words is life-threatening danger." Rainbow Dash's anger seemed to mellow out, transitioning into panicked anxiety more than anything else. "So if anyone, absolutely anyone, else knows about this, you need to tell me right now. Or very bad things will happen to them."

At first, Twilight took that statement as a threat. Whether that threat was directed at her or at Spike was something she didn't know, but she wasn't going to waste time trying to figure that part out and she prepared herself for Dash to throw the first punch. But that first punch never came, and Twilight was left glaring back at the enraged pegasus in silence for a prolonged period of time. Prolonged enough for twilight to notice the more subtle nuances of Rainbow's scowl.

Anger was dominant in her expression and tone, but there was something else lurking beneath the heated surface. Dash's lower lip was held firmly in her own teeth in an attempt to hide how much it was twitching and quivering. Her eyes, while glaring daggers into Twilight's own, held something else deep within. A deep sense of unease and worry, great anxiety that Twilight almost instantly recognized. It was akin to the feelings that ravaged her mind when she got separated from Spike during the timberwolf ambush. Or how she felt when she had thought she had inadvertently abandoned or lost Spike while being pursued by the dragon that had helped send them to Ponyville in the first place.

This wasn't just anger. This was fear, the kind that one goes through when someone they care about is in danger. Rainbow's question wasn't professional, at least not entirely, but instead was one born of worry for those she cared about. Ponyville was Dash's home, at the end of the day, these were the people who she grew up with. Who raised her. And in one solitary moment, Twilight had caused Rainbow Dash to jump to the conclusion that those people were in danger. A horrible, dark feeling that Twilight could empathize with.

And it was that empathy that led Twilight to answer what she assumed to be the most important of Dash's questions. Explaining just how she had gotten mixed into this situation in the first place. Everything from how Applejack showing her the memory-alteration that a good chunk of the townsfolk had been subjected to, all the way up to how Fluttershy had seen one such alteration take place. There weren't many details that she chose to omit, but there were a few that she had chosen to keep to herself. Both out of a desire to not lay down all her cards at once, so to speak, but also because she just couldn't find the words to even describe them. Her encounters with the Mare in the Moon were among those omitted titbits. That included the night where Twilight had been made witness to events within that very mare's past, something that she still didn't have fully figured out for herself. But aside from that, she found herself willing to brief Rainbow Dash on everything else.

Rainbow became visibly calmer as the explanation went on, only stopping Twilight every now and again to make sure there were no prying ears listening in on this sensitive conversation. There were no requests for clarification and no interrupting inquiries, only a stern silence was given back as Twilight continued to speak. It was only after Twilight was finished that the pegasus made herself heard.

"So... AJ and Flutters know that there's something up, but they don't know about the Choir itself?" Dash placed great emphasis on this question and this question alone, looking to Twilight with eyes that were practically begging Twilight for the answer as quickly as possible.

"That's... a little specific..." Confusion made itself known in Twilight's tone as she donned this more quizzical look, asking herself why Rainbow wanted clarification on this of all things. "But I'm fairly certain that's the case, yes..." And that confusion only grew as Rainbow further relaxed at the answer given, with a noticeable loss of tension in her face and posture as a wave of relief washed over the Black Hoof.

"Good, she's safe," Dash muttered under her breath, almost quietly enough for Twilight not to notice. There were a few moments of reprieve in the conversation as the pegasus processed this particular piece of information. Then, just as Twilight was about to ask her own follow-up questions, Dash interrupted her sternly. "Okay, thanks for the intel. Now do yourself a favor and forget about all of this. Magically, if you have to. Trust me, it's for your own good. You don't want that name in your head." That was all she had to say before she began walking away, much to Twilight's chagrin.

"I'm not walking away from this," Twilight sternly spoke up, an action that prompted Rainbow to stop and look back at her. "I'm in too deep to just turn tail and run away. I'm going to see this through to the end."

"No, you're not. You have absolutely no idea what you're getting yourself involved in." The authority befitting Dash's title radiated from her tone, a sign that this was now entirely a professional conversation. "I don't know what you think the Choir is, but whatever it is, you're wrong. This is big, Twilight. Bigger then you can possibly know."

"I know more then you think." Twilight's smile showed great confidence. "I've—"

"No, you really don't," Rainbow's interruption was blunt and intense. The calm from earlier was gone now, and once more the pegasus was displaying mostly anger. "And trust me, not knowing is the best thing that's ever happened to you."

"And why's that?"

"I can't tell you!"

"Why not?"

"Because knowing makes it stronger." Frustration was able to shine through her fear as Dash barked back at the alicorn in question, desperate to try and get Twilight to change her mind. "The more people who know, the stronger it gets. Just knowing its name is dangerous enough. So do yourself, and everyone else, a favor. Forget. In whatever way you can, as fast as you can. This hole is deep Twilight, don't chase the white rabbit." That was when Rainbow had chosen to walk away, taking with her Twilight's only avenue for further information. The cloaked alicorn didn't have any other options left, and she quickly decided to break out her trump card.

"Deeper than the Great Shadow War?"

Rainbow didn't respond, verbally or visually. She just stopped walking and stood there blankly for some time, slowly turning back at Twilight to stare at her. "Explain."

"I've... been having dreams. Dreams about the Mare in the Moon," Twilight continued, closing the distance with slow and confident steps. Only stopping when she was standing between Rainbow Dash and where ever it was she was going next. "And I've learned things in those dreams. Things I probably shouldn't know, like how long this choir of yours has really been around... I don't think walking away from this is an option for me anymore. I'm a part of this, one way or another."

Dash's eyes grew wider, shocked and almost appalled. If there were words to be said, then Dash couldn't possibly say them right now. She almost looked like she was about to puke, based on her expression alone. Obviously she wasn't liking what Twilight was saying, but couldn't express that sentiment at this point in time. This gave Twilight ample time to finish the offer she had in mind.

"So let me help put a stop to it. You can't tell me an alicorn wouldn't be helpful."

There wasn't an answer. Either Dash didn't have one to give, or she was just too shocked to give it at all. Instead, she just stood there, blankly staring at Twilight with this look of utter disbelief. Almost identical to the one Twilight had given earlier when Dash had explained how she had become a Black Hoof in the first place. Neither one of them kept track of how long this went on before Dash finally gave an answer, bluntly telling Twilight that if she really wanted to get involved, then she was the only one who could be blamed for whatever happens to her. Twilight was willing to accept those consequences if only to get her hoofs on the information that the pegasus had to offer. But when she asked for further clarification on the subject, she was only given an order to silently follow behind. Dash still had a job that needed to be done, after all, and it seemed that Twilight was now along for the ride.

Author's Note:

Okay, okay, I know what some of you guys are thinking. Leaving Spike alone again was a bad idea. But I chose this course very carefully, considering what I have planned for the next chapter. I weighed the options very heavily and found that Spike being there would lead to a few... complications. So please, bear with me on that front. It'll make sense later.

Secondly, if the chapter feels a bit... choppy in places, that's probably because I've written and re-written this one chapter about a dozen times. I wanted to do one thing, then I changed that plan to another, Pinkie was originally involved at some point, it was just a great big old mess. This was the only version of events that I felt kind of OK with.

PreviousChapters Next