• Published 16th Sep 2018
  • 634 Views, 18 Comments

When Worlds Collide... - Dreadnought

  • ...
1
 18
 634

Arrival

Normally the flight to the Wonderbolts training facility was too short. It never allowed time for a good workout or trying new tricks. Usually all it was good for was a descent warmup before practice. But today.... today Rainbow Dash wished her commute didn’t feel like it was dragging on forever. All she wanted to do was train with her teammates and preparing for the next performance. Instead, she found her mind wandering back to Ponyville and to – No! She wasn’t going to think about him. Time to get focused, get in the zone. She was already running late, but usually her teammates understood when informed of some Equestria-threatening emergency that she, as an Element of Harmony, got dragged into. But this... this would be a bit harder to explain.

Bursting through a cloudbank, the towering mesa that held the training facility came into view. Rainbow Dash laid on the speed. The air piled up in front of her into a massive bow wave. The wave became a wall holding her back, but with an extra burst of speed she broke through. Boom! A sonic rainboom! Not a bad way to announce your arrival.

Rainbow Dash swooped in and came to an abrupt stop on the flight line. Glancing around, she spotted Spitfire in a heated exchange with a gray mare. Rainbow hurried over.

“Get out of here!” yelled Spitfire.

“But –” the mare protested.

“If you don’t leave in five seconds, so help me Celestia.” Catching sight of Rainbow, she barked, “Crash! Where the hell have you been? Oh never mind. Get into uniform and get out there!” she ordered, pointing to the squad already practicing.

Rainbow started towards the locker room. The gray mare turned, and Rainbow came to a dead stop. “Derpy?”

The gray mare huffed, “It’s Muffins! Why does everybody think I changed my name!”

“You know her Crash?” asked a still irritated Spitfire.

“Uh – yeah. She’s –”

“Then would mind explaining to your friend she’s not a Wonderbolt!” yelled Spitfire.

“Der... Muffins. You’re not on the squad. And –”

“Rainbow! How could you say that! We went through the Academy together!”

“No we didn’t.”

“Yeah, I’d remember if you had come through here,” confirmed Spitfire.

Hurt filled Muffins’ face. “Rainbow, you know me. We’ve been best friends since we were foals. Why are you lying?”

“I’m not lying!” Suddenly, she took a closer look at the gray mare. “Wait! Tell me more.”

“Crash, I don’t think –” A shocked Spitfire was suddenly silenced by a raised hoof from Rainbow.

“I’ve been a Wonderbolt for a year now. We’ve been wing ponies since we joined. Why are you denying it?”

“Muffins, do you know a Silver Belle?”

“Rarity’s little brother? Sure.”

Rainbow rubbed her head. “I think I’m going to get a headache.”

“Crash, where are you going with this?”

Rainbow shook her head. “She’s a Wonderbolt.”

“Crash!”

“I mean the other Wonderbolts.”

“What are you going on about?” demanded Spitfire.

“Let’s go inside. You’re going to have to sit down for this one.”

Author's Note:

Halfway through the next chapter! It'll be fun. Be sure to check back next week!

Dreadnought