• Published 16th Sep 2018
  • 637 Views, 18 Comments

When Worlds Collide... - Dreadnought

  • ...
1
 18
 637

...After Another...

Two ponies followed a path through the woods. A blue pegasus flew just ahead, never glancing back at the big red stallion who managed to keep pace with her. There was a tense silence between them, broken only by the unceasing flapping of wings or crunch of hooves upon the dirt. In fact, they hadn’t exchanged a word since he had managed to climb down a rope she anchored to her cloud house. At several points along the walk he had opened his mouth to speak but changed his mind when he thought better of it.

Suddenly, she came to a stop and he did likewise.

“What’s –”

“Listen!” commanded Rainbow Dash.

A sound grew louder until a familiar sight came into view: Applejack hauling a wagonload of apples to market.

“There you are,” she greeted to Big Mac. “We were wonderin’ where ya got off to. Probably havin’ breakfast with Sugar Belle,” she said with a wink.

“Uh....”

Looking up to her friend, she asked, “Rainbow Dash. How are you this morning?”

Crossing her forelegs and turning away, Rainbow declared, “I don’t want to talk about it!”

“Okay?” Applejack replied, confused. “Where are you two going this early in the mornin’?”

“We’re going to see Twilight. Come on Big Mac.” She took off down the path.

“Ah think ya best come along,” Big Mac said to Applejack as he began following Rainbow.

“Uh?” She turned the wagon around and quickly caught up with the stallion. “What’s got her tail so twisted this mornin’?”

He leaned over and whispered, “Ah don’t know, somethin’s wrong with her. She’s been like this ever since we woke up.”

Applejack came to a dead stop. “‘Woke up’?”

Rainbow Dash let out an annoyed huff.

“Eeyup,” he confirmed.

“What do ya mean woke up?”

A furious Rainbow Dash spun around. “He was sleeping in my bed this morning!”

“Rainbow Dash! How dare you say such a nasty lie ’bout my brother!”

“It’s the truth!”

“Eeyup,” confirmed Big Mac.

In a flash Applejack was nose to nose with Big Mac, fire burning in her eyes. “You slept with Rainbow Dash!?”

“Well... eeyup.”

She recoiled for a moment before her deadly glare returned. “Big Mac! How could you do such a foolish thing like that! Sleepin’ with somepony else behind Sugar Belle’s back! You said you loved her – wanted to marry her. If ma and pa were here,” she shook her head, “they’d be so ashamed.”

Big Mac stuttered, “App–”

She turned to her friend hovering above, her face now a mix of anger and with deep pain. “And you! How dare you sleep with my brother when you know he’s seein’ another mare.”

“Me!?” Rainbow Dash yelled.

“Yeah! What were you thinkin’!”

“I don’t even remember it!”

“Oh, so you were wasted after one of your Wonderbolt parties? Ya think that makes everythin’ alright!”

“Hey! I didn’t get drunk last night!”

“So you were high or somethin’!”

“Applejack!” he yelled. She glanced back to the stallion, who shared a similar angry glare. “Yer problem is with me. Leave her out of this. Ah don’t want ya talkin’ like that to mah wife.”

“Your wife!”

“Yes, mah wife.”

“What are you talkin’ about, Big Mac?”

“We’ve been married six months.”

“No you haven’t!”

“Thank you!” chimed in Rainbow Dash.

Applejack shot her an angry look.

Big Mac said, “Ah don’t know what’s goin’ on. Rainbow couldn’t remember our marriage and now you can’t. We’re tryin’ to find out what’s goin’ on.”

Applejack glanced between the two of them, studying them carefully. Finally, she said flatly, “Fine. Let’s see if Twilight can help.” She began hauling the cart down the road.

The two looked at each other, before following after her.

Rainbow dashed ahead, and Big Mac pulled up next to Applejack. After a while, he said, “Applejack?”

“Eeyup?” she replied in a neutral tone.

“Since when do you where hats?”

Applejack’s eyes grew wide. “What you talkin’ about?”

“You hate anythin’ havin’ ta do with fashion. Ah ain’t never seen you in a hat, or anythin’ else for that matter, unless yer forced to wear somethin’ by Rarity.”

Applejack shook her head. “Okay, now Ah’m sure somethin’s wrong with you.”

Rounding a corner, they saw Rainbow Dash standing in the path motionless, staring off into the distance.

“What’s wrong Rainbow?” asked Applejack.

“It’s – gone.”

Taking a look ahead, Applejack came to a stop. “Celestia....”

Big Mac asked, “What’s gone?”

“Twilight’s castle,” replied Rainbow.

“Twilight has a castle?”

“Yeah, it grew out of the ground from the Tree of Harmony.”

“Uh – if’n you say so.”

“Rainbow, lookie there,” said Applejack, motioning off to the side. “The school’s gone too. Do ya –” she gulped. “Do ya think we’re under attack or somethin’?”

“It couldn’t be that. There’s no rubble or anything. Maybe somepony went back in time and erased everything? Do you think...?”

Applejack shook her head. “Starlight’s our friend. If somepony changed the past, Ah don’t think it was her.... But how can we remember?” Both mares turned towards Big Mac. “Do ya suppose he’s been affected?”

“That would explain everything.”

As the two mares continued to stare at him, he shook his head. “Ah can’t believe what Ah’m hearin’. Ya really think somepony went back in time to get rid of some sort of magical castle that grew from the ground?” He turned and headed towards Ponyville.

“Where are ya goin?” called Applejack.

“Ah’m goin’ ta talk to somepony who will know what’s really goin’ on ’round here!”

Author's Note:

Thanks for checking out Chapter 4! I know the first couple of chapters have been kind of short, setting the scene. The next chapter will be much longer, at least 2 thousand words. So be sure to check back!

Dreadnought