• ...
17
 463
 9,319

Crescendo

Pinkie Pie bounded into the library, an all too wide grin on her face. "Hey there Twilight! Are you about to do some serious magic that would cause wild shenanigans if interrupted?"

The unicorn paused in the midst of placing a book back in its home. "...no, I'm just re-shelving the books. Why does everypony think I'd do spells that required concentration in the middle of a populated area? I usually go out to the meadows for that sort of thing, I'm not stupid."

"It's not so much that they think that as it's a convenient opening for a story. 'Wonder Wizard Wobbles! Cue Zombie Invasion!'" The party pony giggled. "Don't worry Twilight, it's not like anypony seriously expects it or anything. Anyway I was wondering if you have any books on what did Rarity call it that sort of thing like acting to the high-class types started with Social Et but I forget the rest?"

"...Social Etiquette?"

"That's the one!"

Twilight Sparkle gave her bouncy friend a cautious look, but levitated an elegant tome to her. "Here you go. Any particular reason you want this?"

Pinkie's grin, impossibly, grew wider. "That's a seeeeeecreeeeeeeeeeet."

"O...kay." Twilight glanced outside. "Huh... You know I have to take over weather management tomorrow, and Rainbow's not even clearing today's clouds..."

"There's a rainstorm day after tomorrow, she's probably preparing in advance. So she roped you into doing some work for her while she's doing her family shindig?"

"Yeah that's-- How did you know about that?"

The party pony rolled her eyes. "Does it really matter? Dash is being a silly filly. She shouldn't be. That's my job."

"Well, maybe she's worried about her family history." Twilight pulled a certain hefty tome from the bookshelves. "And since I know you're going to ask how I know about that, I'm going to tell you the truth: I don't. Not for certain. But I've got some theories."

"Oooo! Storytime!" Suddenly the baker was peering over her shoulder, hooves digging into her neck. "So tell me what the word up is in this biznasty secret Rainbow thinks she's been hiding from all of us these years, yo, I'm totally going to use some egghead mojo in prepping the grand subversion I be planning!"

"...DJ PON-3 is a bad influence on you." Twilight rolled her eyes. "See, I formed this theory a while back. Rarity asked me to research some special shampoo and one thing led to another and we started wondering why Rainbow was... well... Rainbow." She tapped her mane. "So, I started looking through the history books for references to rainbow manes, sonic rainbooms... multispectrals in any form, really."

"Oh whoa! What did you find out?"

The unicorn gave a half smile, her expression grim. "It started long, long ago. Like, the last time Discord reigned."

Instantly, Pinkie frowned. "Discord? Rainbow Dash is multicolored because of Discord?! Twilight, that doesn't make sense!"

"No no no. See, way back then there were... other beings. Like Celestia and Luna. They were worried that Discord would try to conquer their lands. And one of those creatures was the Rainbow Serpent."

The unicorn turned a page, illuminating an image of a massive, vibrant band of chroma that sparkled in every shade Pinkie Pie could imagine and then some. It was flying from a stormy land on the horizon, fanged expression grim and determined.

"He lived in Uluru, but in order to better attack Discord he moved to South Amareica. And there, he used his powers to craft soldiers."

"Soldiers?"

"Yep." Twilight turned the page again. This time, the fresco depicted a flock of glittering birds... no, they were winged snakes, their feathers and scales wild with hues that left Pinkie dizzy. "They were called the Quetzalcoatl. The Rainbow Serpent thought that since their feathers were manifestations of chaos in color, they would... sort of cut through Discord's chaos and kill him."

"Um." Pinkie tilted her head in confusion. "Didn't... Celestia and Luna sort of, you know, encase Discord in stone with the Elements of Harmony?"

"Yeah... The Quetzalcoatl plan didn't quite work out. The part we're concerned with is how they took care of ponies. They would fight to the death or worse to protect their charges, and they were sort of admired by the locals." Once more did the page turn, and Twilight grinned when Pinkie gasped; the image was clearly a wedding between a mare and one of the flying snakes, who both had eyes filled with love. "Maybe admiration is too weak a word. In any case, it's said that to this day, some of the descendants of these warriors are marked."

"Oh. Oooooh! So Rainbow's got a rainbow mane cause she's part flying snake?" The party pony tilted her head. "That's... weird, okay, but the flying snakes look like they'd be cool! I don't understand why Rainbow would hide that sort of thing."

The unicorn sighed. "Well, it may be because of what happened next...."

***

"WHAT?!"

"Ah'm gonna be thar. Pure and simple."

"AJ, don't do this to me please. You already know about this, but I don't want you to have to see--"

"This is mah barn. Ah'm gonna make sure yer kin don't burn tha place down." The farmer narrowed her eyes.

Rainbow Dash flickered her wings nervously. "But, but... Um, you see, if they find out you're, like, a country girl, they'll be on your tail and--"

"Well then, I suppose I will have to conduct myself in a matter befitting a true lady. Don't you fret, dear, I can certainly handle myself amongst the upper echelons of society."

The pegasus stared.

Applejack rolled her eyes. "Three months in Manehattan."

Rainbow Dash frantically searched her mind for an out. "...There's another Rainbow Dash! Yeah! It'll be too confusing for you if--"

"Met her."

"You met... right. She's staying with... Pinkie... Oh! Um, I'm pretty sure Big Mac needs you to help him buck trees tomorrow and--"

"Gave me the day off."

"He... did. Okay. Um. Dress! You'd need to wear a dress, and be all fancy and--"

"Taken care of."

"...My parents will ask if we're dating!" Dash cried, desperate.

Applejack raised an eyebrow.

"...You won't like the food?"

The eyebrow remained raised.

"...My, um, embarrassing brothers will flirt with you?"

"Ya think that doesn't happen ta me already?"

"Please, I just..." Finally, the pegasus sighed. "I'm going to be wearing a dress and giving a speech and, and, and I can't let anypony know. Okay? I only let you know because I'm borrowing the barn, but... I just... If you're there..."

"Rainbow Dash. Ah promised not ta tell anypony. What's tha harm in letting me see ya gussied up?"

The pegasus looked up at her.

"...fine. You know what. You win. Just walk on in and watch everything I am be wrecked. It's not like this will, I don't know, COMPLETELY CHANGE HOW YOU SEE ME!"

"Dash--"

"What? I said yes. We're done here." Without another word, she took to the clouds.

Applejack watched her soar away and shook her head. Well... tomorrow was the big day.