• Published 30th Apr 2019
  • 9,814 Views, 426 Comments

New Moon - AzuraKeres



Centuries ago, Luna was shunned by her ponies and exiled at the hooves of her elder sister. She perished in her solitude, but her soul lived on through a stone. And some unknown time later a voice calls her to come out.

  • ...
27
 426
 9,814

38: Second Conference

Author's Note:

Loving Bud

A teacher at Manehattan that is the mother of Loving Artemis and Loving Nebula. Her mind is still reeling from her recent discord of Summer Lazuli’s for her.

Hawk Inkwell

Father of Raven Inkwell and CEO of ink production companies.


Full (Commissioned) Character List - Here

Hawk and Raven shared a carriage down the street of Manehattan. The neighborhood breathed the life of traffic, filled with moving creatures prolonging Hawk’s trip back home. He had another meeting in a few hours and hated to waste another minute basking at random folks in his way.

Hawk had recently concluded an exquisite supper with a tradesmare from the far south of Equestria. She hoped to collaborate with his company to mass-produce unknown scriptures found within an undiscovered temple. For her to find an entire temple buried beneath an ocean of sand shocked Hawk. He allowed a tangent in the conversation for the tradesmare to enlighten him about her expedition.

Hawk commanded two distinct companies ranking among the top in ink manufacturing and popularity amongst publishing. A pony would rarely find a pen without a logo of Hawk’s company marked on it. The majority of top-selling authors among Equestria would be marketed by his company. Hawk always held a keen eye for opportunities and his intuition has garnered him a thriving business he is confident would last for centuries to come.

The idea to publish long-forgotten text from a forgotten civilization was a gold mine waiting to be plundered. Hawk was aware of the mass number of ponies with a thirst for history and knowledge at Canterlot who would pounce on this tradesmare’s findings.

However, he did not expect the tradesmare to be demanding of Hawk’s presence.

Hawk was the CEO of two companies, each requiring numerous meetings and management that one stallion could not manage alone. He learned early in his career to delegate tasks to trusted employees to prioritize the most relevant to further bolster his success.

And yet somehow, he allowed this rural mare from the desert to arrange a dinner for them to meet.

Perhaps it was due to the mare’s moxie. Never did he find a smudge of anxiety or weakness in her. She was honest about her proposal and held full confidence about its relevance to society. Hawk could not wholly agree why learning the culture of a long-forgotten tribe benefits ponies today, but she gave a promising presentation that intrigued him.

After their meeting concluded, he and Raven made their way back home. He had brought his daughter to show how business conversations would operate. Raven had scribbled a hefty number of notes in her book. He was curious to check what she learned.

Hawk was confident this would contribute to her ongoing goal to become a fine assistant to the princess. The reputation Raven would garner would expand Hawk’s empire to greater heights. He imagined it would expand to neighboring lands and perhaps even beyond.

The Inkwell name would be etched across the world.

The future looked bright for the pair. And yet, he could not stifle a concern contorting his very soul. It chilled through his skin throughout the day like everlasting frostbites.

Why couldn’t he rid himself of it?

Hawk looked to his sat where Raven sat. She continued to scribble in her notepad, likely reorganizing the information of Hawk’s exchange with the tradesmare. However, he found it odd she hasn’t asked him any questions.

It’s not because she resents me, is it? Hawk shook the accursed thought away. He didn’t want to think about that. He doesn’t want to entertain the possibility of that.

It all started after he witnessed the scandalous bicker between Lazuli and Wind Rider. The event has haunted Hawk in his nights of sleep for days afterward. Throughout his day the question, the possibility, the dread continued the encroach upon him like a parasite. It instilled a thought in him that he never considered in his life. It was blasphemous for him to give it credibility.

However, Wind Rider was well respected amongst ponies. He was regarded as one of the greatest wonderbolts for his exploits in the skies. Every young pegasi Hawk saw dreamed to be like him, and every adult honored his talent.

So, how on Equestria did his relationship with Lazuli got so murky? How could the daughter of somepony as great as him sport such vitriol towards him?

Hawk liked to think Wind Rider was much like himself. Once young stallions worked hard to make a name for themselves. Feats they had achieved derive more than from just talent. They held a drive and vigor unmatched by their competitors. That drive had led them to the success they are today.

It’s only natural they would want their offspring to thrive from their glory and even garner one they could their own. If Summer Lazuli could rebel against the guidance of a stallion great as Wind Rider, would Raven do the same?

Lazuli was employed in the commoner position of a coach for a school with minimal prestige in sports. Why would a mare of her bloodline settle for a small status when she could hurdle her way to the wonderbolts? Did she despise her father so much as to sway that much from the glorious path he set for her?

Would Raven do the same were Hawk to continue to push her along?

Why would she ever do that? Hawk only wished for her success. He wanted to ensure she would thrive on her own and exact a cozy future she deserved. But for that to happen, he needed to make her strong, intelligent, and adaptable. He needed to instill as many lessons as possible before the world took him away as they did his wife.

Hawk dreaded a future where her daughter was alone. However, the world is merciless and so he needed to be sure Raven was prepared. He arranged for only the best of tutors to enlighten his daughter of marketing, arts, and general studies. The only reason he permitted Raven to attend the public school at Manehattan was to allow her to network among her peers.

But would all of that be worth it just so Raven would resent him for the rest of her life?

“Father,” Hawk snapped from his thoughts when he heard his daughter. Her coconut eyes glistened under the light. Her quill and notebook rested on between her legs. “When might I have the opportunity to visit Ms. Bud?”

“Hm,” Hawk blankly responded at first. “Oh, yes, Ms. Bud. I believe it’s due time to continue your network with her family. I will arrange a time for you to bond with her foals next week.”

Now that summer has begun, Hawk couldn’t shoehorn many excuses for sneaking Raven into their apartment. As mundane as it was, Bud’s extraordinary connection to the princess made it a key mark for Raven to conquer.

Hawk knew that Ms. Bud may not have the brightest opinion about her. Their conversations have their previous conference have been brief and subtle. However, none of that would matter as long as Raven got what she needed in the end.

“Thank you, father,” Raven said and went to her notebook. The warm smile on her face did not escape Hawk’s eyes. It was an astonishing sight like discovering the rainbow dragon fabled to live behind the waterfall in Rainbow Falls.

Her expression had been a rarity within the last few years. Ever since he started her on this course to greatness.

He couldn’t understand it. She was set to be at Princess Celestia’s side, but nothing exhilarated her more than to be at the side of a common teacher.

Was she truly that fascinating? Yes, she bore an unknown creature the nation is wrapping their minds around, but what else did she have besides that. What was it that drew his daughter so close to this mare? So close that it looked more than just a teacher-student relationship.

He recognized the look Raven gave Bud at the Field’s Day event. Her constant need for Bud’s advice and attention. They were the same look Raven gave her mother a long time ago.

“...You seem ecstatic,” Hawk commented. “Do you have any plans for Ms. Bud and her foals?”

“Nothing, in particular, father,” she responded. “But I promise I haven’t forgotten my task. I will not fail you.”

Hawk blinked. He hoped for a different response from her daughter. Not something so formal and terse. “...Good,” was all he could manage to say.

Was her daughter afraid to share small details with him? Hawk was curious to know about new interests Raven might have developed with the family. Hawk knew Bud’s group to mix with farmers, artists, bakers, and all sorts of professions. Raven had to be curious of at least one of them.

Then again, he’s never asked for the small details from Raven. Only the most relevant to further her ascension to Princess Celestia’s side.

Hawk pursed his lips. A memory struck him.

“But what about her foalhood?” Bud’s words rang in his ears. “Don’t you think you’re putting a lot of pressure on her with all these expectations and sessions?”

Am I really doing this all wrong? Hawk wondered. Could she resent me for all that I’m doing for her?

Does she already hold resentment now?

Hawk bit his lip. There was no way he could ever allow that. He refused to accept a reality where his daughter hated him. But to do that, he needed information.


“So, is there a reason you called for this meeting?” Bud asked, trying to remain formal. However, she was taken aback by this sudden conference she imagined would never happen again. And yet here she was, sat before Hawk Inkwell in her classroom.

Their previous talk did not end on a good note. Bud took issue with how Hawk set Raven to undergo numerous lectures and practices throughout her day. It seemed the only time Raven had a chance to breathe was when she was at school and Bud’s side.

Ever since then, their conversations have only involved brief greetings. Bud rarely felt vindictive toward others, but Hawk had a way of grinding her gears. He was far too controlling for her liking and unnaturally obsessed with his death.

If Bud had a way to knock this strange funk out of him, she would have done so. That and the idea felt therapeutic to her.

I shouldn’t have petty thoughts like that, Bud chided herself.

Hawk adjusted the collar on his suit. He appeared calm and calculating. It was as if he was sitting for a job interview, formulating in his mind for the ideal approach.

“I have a few questions regarding my daughter,” Hawk began with a professional tone.

Bud always took issue with this tone. Perhaps she shouldn’t hold it against due to his profession, but Bud always liked her talk with parents to be sympathetic and genuine. This need to be wary of his intention left her sharp and edgy. It can get stressful when she has to keep it on for a long period.

It’s kind of been that way at home since she learned about Lazuli’s feelings. Bud guessed she should take solace she gets a small break from awkwardness around her. Although, she much preferred to have Nebula and Artemis in her hooves.

“Okay then,” Bud replied, raising a brow. “What would you like to know?”

“My daughter has visited your home countless times over the course of this year. Knowing your compassion and the diverse background of those around you, I imagine she has garnered influence. So, tell me, has she adopted a new interest?”

Bud blinked and looked down at her desk. Not to think of an answer for Hawk, but to understand why he asked the question in the first place. Obviously, he held concern about Raven. But was it for her or himself? She faced Hawk again and asked, “And why, might I ask, would like to know this?”

“Do I, her father, need permission to know about her habits?” Hawk countered. “I have a right to know what environment you have placed my daughter in.”

“Don’t you mean you placed her in? You are the one who permitted her to be at my side.”

“Then you should have no qualms about disclosing your activity with her, yes?”

“And perhaps you should have no qualms about sharing the reason for your concern.”

“I didn’t come here for an argument,” Hawk sighed. “I only want to know if my daughter has grown attached to any activity within your group.”

“...My foals have a knack for board games,” Bud said. “I’ve found Raven playing dozens of them with Nebula and Artemis. She has even recommended new games to me for them to try.”

“Board games.” Hawk rubbed his beard. “Rather mundane, but that could be a start.” He raised to his hooves and looked to his gold watch on his forehoof. “Thank you for your contribution, Ms. Bud. If you excuse me, I must return home.”

Before he exited the door, Bud spoke, “Raven is passionate about board games because the foals love them. I don’t think somepony orderly as yourself will have the same effect.”

Hawk stopped inches before the door. He turned back to Bud with a cold look. “I don’t believe I asked for your insight, Ms. Bud. We are done with this.”

“Raven has other interests besides board games. Not just from me and those around me, but even before I first met her. If board games come as a surprise to you, then I can’t help but think you are unaware of the others.”

“Are you suggesting that you know more about my daughter than I do?” Hawk walked back before the table and glared at Bud. “Raven has been under my care since she was born to the world. I have been doing everything within my power to ensure that she gets the best life that she deserves. I refuse to stand here and let you bicker about knowing her better than I.”

“How can you when you don’t understand what she likes?” Bud questioned. “Do you even know the things she wants in life? And I don’t mean being an advisor to Princess Celestia. I mean the other things outside of that.”

“Other things…” Hawk stood still, ruminating in his thoughts for an answer. Hawk had arranged numerous economic, business, and etiquette sessions for Raven to become the best advisor across the lands. Was there anything outside of that he found in Raven? “...I don’t know.”

“Does that trouble you?” Bud asked. “From what you’ve told me, all you wish is for her to be successful in life. But there’s so much more life than just her career. What of her friends, passions, and love? Don’t you think those should matter?”

“Of course, it does. And she is guaranteed all of them from the path I have set her on.”

“Why does it have to be your path? Can’t you let her pick one for herself?”

“What is greater than being the advisor to Equestria? She will garner respect and honor across Equestria for her service. Many will look up to her and she will have the favor of our Princess. This is what’s best for her.”

“It’s that very mindset is why she doesn’t tell you anything,” Bud argued. “The longer you continue this, the less you will know about your daughter.”

“What is so wrong about building a great future for her? Everything I do, I do to make her happy. I know she understands that.”

Hawk was certain Wind Rider felt the same way. And yet, he held a terrible relationship with his daughter.

“It doesn’t have to be this way,” Bud stated. “She still wants to open up to you about her feelings. You just have to give her that chance. I can help with that. But first, you need to be honest with me.”

Hawk averted his gaze from Bud. He hated being picked apart by this mare. There was nothing particularly special about her outside of the foals she birthed. Even so, it appeared his daughter has gone to her to confide to when it should have been Hawk’s role.

“I’m…troubled by a thought,” Hawk started. “Of a future where Raven comes to detest me.”

“Why would you think that? I don’t think Raven could ever feel that way about you.”

“I saw that talk between Wind Rider and Lazuli. I am aware of their tension with each other. I can’t help but feel familiar with Wind and that troubles me.”

“That if you continue to push Raven that she may grow to resent you,” Bud concluded.

Hawk nodded.

“Well, your honesty was frankly refreshing. Lucky for you, I know the perfect way to resolve your issue.”

“I find your confidence a tad annoying, if I am, to be honest,” Hawk confided. “But seeing that you claim to be an expert about my daughter, please elaborate.”

“Absolutely,” Bud said without a prick in her tone. “This will be more about replanting the foundation, but it won’t work unless without your compliance.”

“It seems to me I don’t have much of a choice in this matter.”

“Great.” Bud clapped her hooves. “I’ve also prepared a whole lecture on how you can adjust your interaction with Raven as well. Some trinkets here and there that I believe can be helpful.”

“You what?” Hawk gaped at the mare as she began to scribble onto the chalkboard behind her.

“Oh yes,” Bud said. “This has been months in the making. So, sit down and grab a pen. This might take a while.”

“Is this really necessary? Can’t you just explain this plan of yours?”

“All in good time. But I truly think you need this.”

“Why do I get the impression you have it backward?”

Comments ( 3 )

Hawk stopped inches before the door. He turned back to Bud with a cold look. “I don’t believe I asked for your insight, Ms. Bud.

That's kinda what you did though :trixieshiftleft:

“Why do I get the impression you have it backward?”

Because she has apparently been working on this for months :eeyup:

why is this chapter so vital?
I think I saw a relationship with my parents here.

So long new moon, you were great

Login or register to comment